10-25-17 09:18 PM
38 12
tools
    Is your an older unit before they changed methods?

You can do one thing - take it to a cell phone repair shop and have them operate on it, pry off the screen (telling them where the cable attaches), applying official, good two-sided tape and avoid the potential.
    I assume my device is an older one. It's a BB100-2 and the "Date Code" from the *#2 886# test menu says 11th of June. I ordered it from a European reseller 24th of June.

If I'd know for sure that the screen is going to come off at some point, I'd immediately head over to a phone repair shop to have it glued in. I'd rather pay a few bucks myself than having to setup a device again from scratch.

But since I cannot be sure about that, there's the danger that the repair shop will damage the screen while trying to peel it off. See JerryRig video #2 .
    FF22 likes this.
    10-09-17 01:46 PM
    I assume my device is an older one. It's a BB100-2 and the "Date Code" from the *#2 886# test menu says 11th of June. I ordered it from a European reseller 24th of June.

If I'd know for sure that the screen is going to come off at some point, I'd immediately head over to a phone repair shop to have it glued in. I'd rather pay a few bucks myself than having to setup a device again from scratch.

But since I cannot be sure about that, there's the danger that the repair shop will damage the screen while trying to peel it off. See JerryRig video #2 .
    It's your choice... risk it breaking at the worst time (probable while traveling) or let a professional fix it now.

Would be nice to know the actual failure rate up to this point and if that number is gong down or up. It's hard to judge on just a few post on CrackBerry, as that hopefully is just a small sampling of the KEYone userbase. But BlackBerry Mobile isn't sharing.

Me, I'd fix it.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-10-17 09:16 AM
    It's your choice... risk it breaking at the worst time (probable while traveling) or let a professional fix it now.

Would be nice to know the actual failure rate up to this point and if that number is gong down or up. It's hard to judge on just a few post on CrackBerry, as that hopefully is just a small sampling of the KEYone userbase. But BlackBerry Mobile isn't sharing.

Me, I'd fix it.
    I did run paranoid which is why I suction cupped it a few times. I'd read of a few more screens popping off and look at mine. Then I pulled out the suction cup. Also, quite seriously, encasing and UNencasing the KeyOne is the Tumi case provided an extreme torture test. In neither case it the screen show signs of popping.

Then I read another POP in the Mega thread one evening. YUP, a seam of light. No telling when or why but it occurs. I see less postings but there are still some coming in.

Whether a cell repair shop can even discover it, in advance, is a question. But they have nicer tools and could probably limit the lift or range of motion if warned when approaching the device.

Luckily mine lifted after my trip to LA but I had taken my Priv along, too.
    10-10-17 10:14 AM
    My KeyOne was originally purchased on 5 May 2017 and the screen has just fallen off while I was making a call. No bumps to the phone, no force: for assistance, but the company when I called them advised they do not deal with Blackberry. The issue has turned a beautiful phone into a nightmare.
    10-10-17 09:06 PM
    Stop thinking about it. Stop roaming crackberry forums. All my berries are flawless until I start reading posts on here.

Bye CB.

Posted via CB10
    willyq711 likes this.
    10-10-17 10:48 PM
    I already had mine replaced under warranty. The phone was delivered from the BBM Warehouse in Texas to Miami in literally less than 48 hours. My KeyOne ROCKS and is a working flawlessly. Get the darn thing replaced already!
    10-13-17 09:14 AM
    Yes I know, some guys heated up their device in an oven and the screen stayed in place. But it could be a process which is happening over time and needn't happen after a single heating up.)
    I made an experiment, documented in a thread here:
    K1 on an oven at 50/55 C [a temperature easily reached if under direct sunlight, or while charging, or overheating due to high load etcetc],
    and after a few hours the screen detached.

Then I fixed it first with glue, then with adhesive tape, all ok.

I totally agree with the heat / low quality glue theory.
    willyq711 likes this.
    10-13-17 09:53 AM
    Get the darn thing replaced already!
    You mean "Wait for the screen fall off, then cry because you can't save your data, then beg support to get the darn thing replaced already!"

If BBM would only replace it without obvious damage happening first, I'd be alright with that. But the current situation is that they acknowledge the production flaw and still claim that it doesn't affect all devices, well, since... erm... some screens are still in place..!
    10-13-17 10:49 AM
    I made an experiment, documented in a thread here
    Can you provide a link to that thread?

Then I fixed it first with glue, then with adhesive tape, all ok.
    How did you first apply glue and then tape? Didn't the glue hold it in place?

Can you recommend a certain type of glue? Care to outline your procedure? Need to know it all :-)
    10-13-17 10:52 AM
    Can you provide a link to that thread?

How did you first apply glue and then tape? Didn't the glue hold it in place?

Can you recommend a certain type of glue? Care to outline your procedure? Need to know it all :-)
    My post is here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...c-1116245-new/

The glue was the first attempt.
    Then I've seen that the screen was not reattached well (maybe cheap glue, maybe wrong job at the repair shop, dont know), so I decided for 3M tape.

All of that done, no cost, at the repair shop here 20 mt from my home.

Since then, the screen is perfectly attached.

Edit:
    P.S. No battery damage, or any other damage, at all after the experiment, btw.
    I can say it for sure now, after 2 1/2 months.
    Last edited by h16; 10-13-17 at 11:27 AM. Reason: P.S.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-17 11:19 AM
    Made an account just to say that the K1 I purchased in June from Selfridges also decided to pop its screen out-there's a slight tear on the cable so now I can't even use the screen to access my files. I have a back-up file in my google drive but I haven't seen that any of my photos or videos in my drive, so I'm wondering if that back-up file would include all of that or am I just living in hope?
    I contacted Selfridges who told me that I can send back the phone and they will then undergo a brand inspection which supposedly takes 6-8 weeks.
    I live in Australia and have been trying to contact the Australian call centre branch, however I keep getting an automated message telling me that the hours are 9-5pm (it's almost 10am here in Melbourne so I'm not quite sure what time zone they're operating from (Queensland? WA?). Will try again in 10 minutes.
    Basically want to know if there's any way of retrieving my files?
    10-25-17 06:58 PM
    Update: Managed to get through to the call centre, who have put me through to Roadhound Electronics in Sydney-they have offered to pick up and assess my phone so keeping my fingers crossed!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-25-17 07:27 PM
    Update: Managed to get through to the call centre, who have put me through to Roadhound Electronics in Sydney-they have offered to pick up and assess my phone so keeping my fingers crossed!
    Sorry about your screen. Welcome to Crackberry.

Good luck with getting repair or replacement.

I think that unless you have Google backing up photos, you may be out of luck.
    10-25-17 09:18 PM
38 12