I'm really getting nervous about my keyone's screen. Mine's still firmly in place, but too many people have believed they'd be spared by the issue and were hit right in the face.

I've been trying to figure out what is happening with the screens. This is where I got:

• The initial claim that there is no adhesive seems to be bullsh**. After all, many devices have survived many falls before some unlucky day the screen popped out. In many cases without much of a physical force. What might be true, is that the tape used to glue the screen in, is not sticky (anymore) once the screen comes out.
    • The suspicion that there's only a faulty batch seems to have been proven wrong too. Devices from all batches and different build dates have had the problem of the screen popping out eventually, even though they had survived many falls without any damage.

I concluded that the adhesive used in the devices is initially strong enough, as shown in various durability tests. BUT: At some point the adhesive seems to turn into an adhesive-NOT.

From reading various posts on the issue, it seems that many people's screen is popping out after the device has been exposed to heat or warmth at least. (Yes I know, some guys heated up their device in an oven and the screen stayed in place. But it could be a process which is happening over time and needn't happen after a single heating up.)

Quite a few guys tell the story of the screen coming out while being on a phone call. Cell unit active -> warmth. Quite a few more tell that the screen came lose in the morning while picking up the device after the night. I assume many people have the device charge over night. Charging -> heat.

So my theory is that the adhesive used is drying out over time under the influence of heat/warmth.

And I'm afraid it'll hit all of us sooner or later. And I'm sure it'll hit me right one day after the 1-year warranty has expired. It's freaking me out.

PS: The Keyone is the best phone I've ever had. It'll be this way until the day the screen falls off. That day it'll become the worst phone I've ever had.
    Last edited by lobstaj; 10-09-17 at 07:52 AM.
    willyq711 and anon(8679041) like this.
    10-09-17 03:24 AM
    I also think it is related to the temperature. I used mine in the Winters and never had issues.
    10-09-17 03:35 AM
    Charging the KEYone over night? ROFLMAO. Charge it while you're in the bathroom. When you're over it will be 100% charged.
    10-09-17 04:24 AM
    Something tells me there'll be reports from people finding their keyone's screen has come off when they returned from the bathroom.
    10-09-17 04:40 AM
    Mine is from the end of April. I bought it the first day it was available here in Germany. No problems at all. I was in Spain a few weeks ago and the KEYone was mounted in the windscreen of our car and one day it heated up to the point where it said it has overheated and is now taking measures to cool down. The display is still completely firm.
    evodevo69 likes this.
    10-09-17 04:52 AM
    I think you are probably right. All of the initial phones produced until they announced a fix are going to have this problem. If anyone purchased from before TCL said they fixed it their screen is going to fall out. Its not a matter of if, but when.
    10-09-17 06:14 AM
    Have there been any reports of CDMA models losing their screens? I haven't seen any. Perhaps this is because of there not being many of them out there, or I missed them. Does anyone know if this has happened?
    10-09-17 06:39 AM
    So if it's a matter of when, you would think a proactive approach would be to recall and replace. but no. Sloppy, cheap, fast and uncaring: this is the model for business. Must be why people are loyal to premium brands s they are the opposite. a collective f-u to the consumer is the order of the day.
    10-09-17 08:05 AM
    My first screen popped off during charging overnight. So heat could possibly be the culprit plus glue that dries out with the heat.
    10-09-17 08:10 AM
    My assumption is that there was a production line fault in which an insufficiently trained technicians or workers did not apply adhesive on a certain batch. The build (programming) date has nothing to do with the production date.
    10-09-17 08:34 AM
    The first report of screen detachment (from The_Q on Crackberry) showed an absence of glue to be the main reason. This was then backed up by JerryRig's first test video.
    10-09-17 08:42 AM
    I'd love to believe that missing glue was the reason. But then how would you explain the fact that the screens first stay firmly in place when people start using their new phones? And not just a few reported their phone fell on the floor a few times without any screen damage. And then - one day it just popped out...
    10-09-17 08:46 AM
    The first report of screen detachment (from The_Q on Crackberry) showed an absence of glue to be the main reason. This was then backed up by JerryRig's first test video.
    Correct which when new ones started to filters he bought one out of pocket and literally had to rip the screen off cracking it in the process. check his YouTube
    10-09-17 08:47 AM
    Correct which when new ones started to filters he bought one out of pocket and literally had to rip the screen off cracking it in the process. check his YouTube
    Yes, well, that was after TCL had fixed their process. Most of the keyones were sold before that.
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    10-09-17 08:50 AM
    That's right. But remember too that after the initial flurry of reports, Kevin rigorously tested several units quite violently. Remarkably the screens on all remained attached.
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    10-09-17 08:53 AM
    Yes, well, that was after TCL had fixed their process. Most of the keyones were sold before that.
    Actually all orders for pre orders were filled. And as the second round wad in the middle of shipping they all got pulled. I ordered mine June 17th didn't receive it for a month cause they sent ALL of them back to get fixed.. Pre order started may 18th shipping started may 31th. About 10-14 days later everything was being set back. As a claim iron their own accord to fix the issue
    10-09-17 08:53 AM
    That's right. But remember too that after the initial flurry of reports, Kevin rigorously tested several units quite violently. Remarkably the screens on all remained attached.
    Possible human / machine error Dora limited number too. never fully know.
    10-09-17 08:55 AM
    Have there been any reports of CDMA models losing their screens? I haven't seen any. Perhaps this is because of there not being many of them out there, or I missed them. Does anyone know if this has happened?
    I know of two cdma (Verizon type) KeyOne's where the screen fell off. Mine and another. They are not immune.

Also, I saw NO glue on mine. Possible they used some clear stuff. There are too many reports of NO glue showing once the screen released. So I think friction holds many screens in place until it doesn't. And so, heat could be involved. The chassis heats up and expands enough to overcome the friction and the screen pops out.

Whether is is defective glue, no glue, some glue, it can fail if manufactured before TCL started a new method of attachment.
    10-09-17 08:58 AM
    That's still no valid argument against my theory of the adhesive gradually going bad...
    10-09-17 08:58 AM
    Also, I saw NO glue on mine. Possible they used some clear stuff. There are too many reports of NO glue showing once the screen released. So I think friction holds many screens in place until it doesn't. And so, heat could be involved. The chassis heats up and expands enough to overcome the friction and the screen pops out.
    Wasn't there any trace of an adhesive tape either? The ones opened by Kevin didn't have any 'glue' either, but some thin adhesive tape.
    10-09-17 09:00 AM
    That's still no valid argument against my theory of the adhesive gradually going bad...
    Maybe the heat caused the glue to evaporate!
    10-09-17 09:13 AM
    All of my friend's currently with KeyOnes in Miami (around 3 others) have had their screen pop out already, including mine. I am receiving a warranty replacement tomorrow, but this is the 2nd replacement. Not because of another screen pop-out, but the first replacement I received went black screen on me and no good. I would confidently say that Those phones in hotter or humid climates are definitely prone to have screen release issues. Either way, IMO, it's only matter of time before it happens.
    10-09-17 09:20 AM
    Wasn't there any trace of an adhesive tape either? The ones opened by Kevin didn't have any 'glue' either, but some thin adhesive tape.
    I will be honest. I did not study it too much. It was along the entire left edge but I did not pry it more than 1/4 inch to take a picture. I did not want to take a chance on tearing the cable.

But it really does not matter. BBMobile acknowledged there was a problem and changed their assembly methods.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-09-17 09:30 AM
    I will be honest. I did not study it too much. It was along the entire left edge but I did not pry it more than 1/4 inch to take a picture. I did not want to take a chance on tearing the cable.

But it really does not matter. BBMobile acknowledged there was a problem and changed their assembly methods.
    Sure it matters. When my screen falls off and the cable tears, I can't easily back up my data anymore and I'm rendered phoneless for some time.

And in case it happens only in June 2018, well, I'm f***ed, because the warranty expired.
    10-09-17 09:33 AM
    Sure it matters. When my screen falls off and the cable tears, I can't easily back up my data anymore and I'm rendered phoneless for some time.

And in case it happens only in June 2018, well, I'm f***ed, because the warranty expired.
    Okay, sure it matters but there's nothing you can do about it. I live in Seattle. Most of the time temperatures are moderate. As I wrote originally, I struggled to get it into the Tumi case about 3 or 4 times and out. I also used a strong suction cup two separate times. No signs of lifting. Then one evening after it had been sitting on my desk (not charging) there was a bright edge of light. It lifted. No drop, no twisting, nothing untoward. At 10pm it was separated while just sitting there.

So heat, no heat, glue or no glue - if it happens, it happens.

Is your an older unit before they changed methods?

You can do one thing - take it to a cell phone repair shop and have them operate on it, pry off the screen (telling them where the cable attaches), applying official, good two-sided tape and avoid the potential.

Or pursue some legal remedy. Return it.

Again, whatever the reason for the failure, does not matter since you cannot predict it. Yes, it sucks that they did not catch it earlier. Yes, it sucks that they did not recall bad units. And it really sucks if the cable tears.
    10-09-17 10:03 AM
38 12