BlackBerry doesn't make a fuss about their hardware. Maybe it'll change with BBMobile.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 11:33 AM
    I feel like it would be almost therapy for people to go through "other brands" and find something positive to say about them.
    You are probably right. I did that by leaving android and trying bb10. I liked bb10 but kinda got forced back to android. I refuse to be all apple because of the limits and the price. Not likely to get an I anything unless it's free
    04-07-17 11:57 AM
    Because the tv and social media tells them they should be that way.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    This
    04-07-17 05:38 PM
    Well there are people who are the same way about Android and iOS. Who see anything to do with iPhone and immediately go in to "crApple" rant-mode, who shout down "Same-sung" fanboys anytime people bring up Samsung. We all get it. BlackBerry is no different. People have their opinions.
    donnation and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-07-17 06:23 PM
    Sigh, you realize that Samsung sells dozens of phones right? And none of your long winded post changes the fact that the top selling phone of 2016 was the iPhone 6s, which doesn't do much for your argument that people have stopped buying high end phones.
    What I said was, that the iPhone is less popular than it was in terms of market share. That your grandma owns one, and nothing your grandma does can ever be cool. Yes your grandma specifically.

That the fastest growing smartphone segments and budget and midteir (and slowest premium), and that growth generally is slowing (just 6% last year, 0.2 in one quarter) AND that when growth stops and goes negative it will hit premium segments the hardest (A predictable trend that tech market analysts have known was coming for yonks)

None of which is "people have stopped buying high end phones", rather something more akin to, proportionally to the whole market, less people are buying high end phones now, and subjectively, they seem less cool, less "the thing to have". Its all kinda old now. Everyone has one. They all do the same things.

What are young people actually adopting faster anyway....that's the best measure of tech cool, adoption. Chinese market is often indicative too. Whats the fastest growth sectors in new tech? What new techs have the highest uptake?

Just like any fashion cool isn't about what everyone's doing. That's the fashion that's about to expire. It's about what the leaders are doing that the followers will copy. Those fitbit type things seem to be growing fast. Faster than smartwatches. like Samsung gear. Microsoft surface and company, are popular with the early adopter crowd (young tech saavy people)

I think those new contactless payment rings might just take off. They've just arrived more or less though, any early adopters there are fresh off the boat.

I think VR and AR are too expensive and have a way to grow before we can call that a trend.

I'd say the ipad is a trend with some cred still. Despite slowing growth, they still are pushing out android. And the apple watch - yeah maybe that's still cool.

But I don't think the Samsung s8, or iPhone 7+ etc, are really cool in the way they used to be. I think its become a bit boorish and techy to be obsessed with you phone. Especially with all the fanboys and their arguments.

Its safer to say "yeah I like this, apple is pretty cool", than "OMG isn't this amazing, I love this brand, apple is the best ra ra", socially, of your phone. Showiness has died off.

And you're far more likely to get curious reactions to an apple watch, a fitbit, some VR gear, or a high end tablet with a stylus, than you are to a mere phone. Especially when all new phones have roughly the same specs, and all smartphones in general have roughly the same functionality. What's to get excited about, unless it can do something new?
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-08-17 at 03:52 AM.
    04-08-17 03:19 AM
    I get more complement on my passport!

Posted via CB10
    Same here.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 11:31 AM
    What I said was, that the iPhone is less popular than it was in terms of market share. That your grandma owns one, and nothing your grandma does can ever be cool. Yes your grandma specifically.

That the fastest growing smartphone segments and budget and midteir (and slowest premium), and that growth generally is slowing (just 6% last year, 0.2 in one quarter) AND that when growth stops and goes negative it will hit premium segments the hardest (A predictable trend that tech market analysts have known was coming for yonks)

None of which is "people have stopped buying high end phones", rather something more akin to, proportionally to the whole market, less people are buying high end phones now, and subjectively, they seem less cool, less "the thing to have". Its all kinda old now. Everyone has one. They all do the same things.

What are young people actually adopting faster anyway....that's the best measure of tech cool, adoption. Chinese market is often indicative too. Whats the fastest growth sectors in new tech? What new techs have the highest uptake?

Just like any fashion cool isn't about what everyone's doing. That's the fashion that's about to expire. It's about what the leaders are doing that the followers will copy. Those fitbit type things seem to be growing fast. Faster than smartwatches. like Samsung gear. Microsoft surface and company, are popular with the early adopter crowd (young tech saavy people)

I think those new contactless payment rings might just take off. They've just arrived more or less though, any early adopters there are fresh off the boat.

I think VR and AR are too expensive and have a way to grow before we can call that a trend.

I'd say the ipad is a trend with some cred still. Despite slowing growth, they still are pushing out android. And the apple watch - yeah maybe that's still cool.

But I don't think the Samsung s8, or iPhone 7+ etc, are really cool in the way they used to be. I think its become a bit boorish and techy to be obsessed with you phone. Especially with all the fanboys and their arguments.

Its safer to say "yeah I like this, apple is pretty cool", than "OMG isn't this amazing, I love this brand, apple is the best ra ra", socially, of your phone. Showiness has died off.

And you're far more likely to get curious reactions to an apple watch, a fitbit, some VR gear, or a high end tablet with a stylus, than you are to a mere phone. Especially when all new phones have roughly the same specs, and all smartphones in general have roughly the same functionality. What's to get excited about, unless it can do something new?
    Again, this is all just your opinion and contains no facts. The S8 and iPhone 8 will set records for sales for both companies. FitBit has more market share than the Apple Watch and there are far more people running around with a stupid Fitbit on than there is with an Apple Watch, so by your definition I'm not sure how a Fitbit is considered cool. Any all of my grandparents have been dead for years, but if they were alive and owned a smartphone I'd think it was really cool that they would be able to adapt to newer technology.

You are way to worried about what is cool and what isn't cool. Most people aren't running around looking at other people's phones and saying to themselves "Oh jeez he has an iPhone too? I guess I better get rid of mine because it isn't cool anymore." Most people are using a phone they like and aren't obsessing with whether or not there are too many other people using them.
    04-09-17 06:01 AM
    I get laughed at by everyone for using a Blackberry.

The most common reaction is "Eww, people still use those things".

It probably doesn't help that I was still using a 9900 up until November, which by all right was past it's sell by date, but it worked for me.

But yeah, they're reputation among common phone users is shot to bits.
    04-09-17 07:40 AM
    Again, this is all just your opinion and contains no facts. The S8 and iPhone 8 will set records for sales for both companies. FitBit has more market share than the Apple Watch and there are far more people running around with a stupid Fitbit on than there is with an Apple Watch, so by your definition I'm not sure how a Fitbit is considered cool. Any all of my grandparents have been dead for years, but if they were alive and owned a smartphone I'd think it was really cool that they would be able to adapt to newer technology.

You are way to worried about what is cool and what isn't cool. Most people aren't running around looking at other people's phones and saying to themselves "Oh jeez he has an iPhone too? I guess I better get rid of mine because it isn't cool anymore." Most people are using a phone they like and aren't obsessing with whether or not there are too many other people using them.
    When I say words. I am not sure you "hear" them. I think you hear some other kind of words. You seem a little bit irritable. Bit of exercise usually sorts that for me.

Anyway, I spend zero time worrying about what is cool.

Let's put some numbers in this....3Q year on year. Compare Samsung and Apple, versus say OPPO. Growth is clearly in budget devices, and same story goes back a few years now, and is guaranteed to continue. Saturation close, growth slowing and device turnover slowing, I think next year is probably the year we will see the budget sector start to blow up.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/27...-market-share/

Although it will be interesting what happens with this years iPhone and s8. Last year was a year where growth almost froze one quarter, and not a great year for Samsung (good but not great, first year they didn't beat the year before on sales/profits in awhile smartphone wise)- and a lot of growth from other players. We will surely reach a "tipping point" year where both of the big two, make less sales than the year before. Could be this year, could be next year. But will be interesting to watch the show, either way.

PS, smartbands are cool IMO.

Enjoy your evening
    04-10-17 10:57 AM
    Clients love my BlackBerry Passport se.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-17 11:05 AM
    Twice this week I got the same comment: "I didn't know BlackBerry was still around" regarding my Priv.

One guy was in the IT field too. Even after I told him, it's full Android with 2016 specs similar to the Nexus 6P. He still said "still.... Blackberry... but ok that's cool".
    04-10-17 12:46 PM
    So yesterday I was talking with someone in a group of people. She was supposed to get a message (email or Telegram or both) from an organization we are involved in, but didn't see it, didn't open the right app or something. I realized how spoiled I am with the Hub and started to explain how that isn't a problem if you have a BlackBerry. All the notifications are in one place etc. The people looked at me briefly as if I were a from another planet, and it was clear they had no clue as to what I was saying, and continued on talking about not getting this or that message from this or that different app.
    Avenzuno and megafan2000 like this.
    04-10-17 03:23 PM
    So yesterday I was talking with someone in a group of people. She was supposed to get a message (email or Telegram or both) from an organization we are involved in, but didn't see it, didn't open the right app or something. I realized how spoiled I am with the Hub and started to explain how that isn't a problem if you have a BlackBerry. All the notifications are in one place etc. The people looked at me briefly as if I were a from another planet, and it was clear they had no clue as to what I was saying, and continued on talking about not getting this or that message from this or that different app.
    That's more of her just not knowing how to use her phone as Android and iOS both have notification centers where everything is viewable.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-10-17 05:55 PM
    That's more of her just not knowing how to use her phone as Android and iOS both have notification centers where everything is viewable.
    I use the pinch option in the hub. Really helps when looking for things I may have overlooked when a lot of different email notifications, calls, texts etc have come in. I only have 3 of my email addresses coming to the hub. The others are things I don't need to see right away like subscriptions.
    04-10-17 06:30 PM
    To be fair, I have an even more severe reaction, bordering on disgust, when people tell me they use an iPhone...
    04-14-17 07:21 AM
    Going back to what I originally posted, cases on point where Passports have Emergency Call only and no response or even any attempts to fix for over two years.
    It's the BB position of "screw you," at every level.
    But again, this is a business. If you need a hug speak to your mommy.
    People are down on BB: a)they dropped the ball when iOS came out and not recognizing the future of the industry; b) when they did see the change they moved lethargically at best and released defective equipment (storm); c) slowly upgraded their consumer base; d) failed to market their advantages or market anything. The other thing that was not picked up on is that people don't want to walk with 2 devices, 1 for work and 1 for play. The second people came in with one device that could do it all, the future was clear.
    There is and was a lot of arrogance on the part of BB--this has been debated ad naseum all over this forum.
    The truth is that the KeyOne, the DTEKS and the Priv are not going to be the saviors of the company. Switching to software and working in the background will maintain the company.
    We fans of the equipment are really all that's left as they move forward to Android, and I will bet TCL will eventually be able to drop the BB name. And then just like Betamax, this will be nothing more than a memory in a world of touch screens.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    04-14-17 07:29 AM
    [QUOTE=I think the best comparison might be the big screen TV, or computer. Its kind of cool, if its high end, also kind of douchebagy like a gold ring. Its probably more cool, if it doesn't cost as much, because its relateable. And definitely don't talk about features or brag. Like somewhere between cool and gaudy.

It's been past "peak cool" for quite some time, and on the way down that slow, its likely to become fairly mundane. Something like a ps4, or a nice TV set. Heck it could easily get to the point where its uncool to spend lots of money on a smartphone or if another device comes along, to even own one. Things move in waves.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I get some of your points but saying owning a nice TV and a PS4 is douchey like owning a gold ring just doesn't make sense to me. What about someone who owns both those items and has worked hard to own them and likes to host sports parties and get down on some Last of Us occasionally? You compare him to the guy who still wears his gold class ring. No.

I do agree that the industry is moving a bit away from look at me and my phone but there are countless people on social networks who make a decent living on selfies and promoted photos of them sporting whatever. It may be moving away from that but very slowly.
    04-14-17 09:33 AM
    Y'all meet the most interesting people, and get steamed by the most interesting things.
    He's one person

Posted via CB10
    04-15-17 03:58 AM
    So everyone feels upset when their BlackBerry phone is criticized in some way, but then have no problem making fun of someone or being disgusted that someone has an iPhone? Isn't that just a tad hypocritical?

People are busy. Phones aren't their top priority. They get something that works for them, and they stick with it. What's the big deal? I don't view it as sheep. Apple makes solid products that are attractive. I prefer not to use an iPhone, but I have gotten past my biases. It's not worth the effort. More important things in life.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-17 08:15 AM
    So everyone feels upset when their BlackBerry phone is criticized in some way, but then have no problem making fun of someone or being disgusted that someone has an iPhone? Isn't that just a tad hypocritical?

People are busy. Phones aren't their top priority. They get something that works for them, and they stick with it. What's the big deal? I don't view it as sheep. Apple makes solid products that are attractive. I prefer not to use an iPhone, but I have gotten past my biases. It's not worth the effort. More important things in life.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a "tad" hypocritical. It's completely hypocritical. People who call others names like "sheep" exhibiting the same behavior they claim to hate. Something I see a lot in this forum is that some people who still use BB10 say they do so because it fits their needs, but assume for some reason that those who use iPhones or Android phones don't do the same. They assume that folks who use iPhones or Android phones have been "brainwashed" by marketing campaigns. The most interesting thing here is people who think they're special or elite because they're one of the relative few who still use a BB10 device. If a BB10 device suits your needs better than anything else, that's great, but it doesn't make you special or elite, it makes you an outlier.

TL; DR: use what you like, allow others to do the same, and don't take it so personally. They're just phones, after all.
    04-15-17 09:25 AM
    It's not a "tad" hypocritical. It's completely hypocritical. People who call others names like "sheep" exhibiting the same behavior they claim to hate. Something I see a lot in this forum is that some people who still use BB10 say they do so because it fits their needs, but assume for some reason that those who use iPhones or Android phones don't do the same. They assume that folks who use iPhones or Android phones have been "brainwashed" by marketing campaigns. The most interesting thing here is people who think they're special or elite because they're one of the relative few who still use a BB10 device. If a BB10 device suits your needs better than anything else, that's great, but it doesn't make you special or elite, it makes you an outlier.

TL; DR: use what you like, allow others to do the same, and don't take it so personally. They're just phones, after all.
    I was trying to be nice lol.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-15-17 10:26 AM
    The problem is that some jerks think others care about their dumb opinion. Like you hate someone's phone, or their red hat or purple nailpolish or weird haircut, or your co-worker's yucky perfume. Everyday, we all encounter stuff which we do not like. But we are supposed to be mature, and not act like juvenile jerks and actually say what we really think.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    04-15-17 11:15 AM
    I think we still have CrackBerry because of bb10, bb7 devices. Without old devices, CrackBerry may migrate to android central forum. Even Samsung doesn't have their own mobil nation site because they are android.
    04-15-17 11:43 AM
    The whole context of this is a business encounter with a service man on a service call doing work for a client. As a representative of the company it is appropriate to conduct oneself in a professional manner. This puts it in a different category than the off handed remarks of people. The discussion got a bit away from that original frame of reference. If the individual had not been representing his company it would have been different. The man was being paid to do a service.
    04-15-17 11:43 AM
    The whole context of this is a business encounter with a service man on a service call doing work for a client. As a representative of the company it is appropriate to conduct oneself in a professional manner. This puts it in a different category than the off handed remarks of people. The discussion got a bit away from that original frame of reference. If the individual had not been representing his company it would have been different. The man was being paid to do a service.
    Whether or not someone is in a business context, people have the option to not be jerks and spout off their unsolicited opinions.
    04-15-17 11:57 AM
191 ... 45678