Originally Posted by buckshot_88

I think phones have become a status symbol. Let's be honest...Most people do not test the limits of their devices. All this high end processors, chipsets etc. The average person doesnt need it. But moreso, what comes with it. The status. I'm 28 and let me tell you, most people within 5 years of my age up or down, moreso the younger . View the phone moreso as an accessory like one would shoes, watch, handbag. And Blackberry has lost its place in that realm. So you get ppl who snark because it's like a guy showing up to hoop in Rawlings while everyone else in in Nikes and Jordans. Doesn't mean the Rawlings (not saying blackberry is Rawlings ha) are severely sub par or crap...No. But in the realm or sphere of fashion , most definitely. Same goes for BB sadly atm

I'm outside the range you address. I don't think BlackBerry is in the fashion/accessory race, but you may be right about many people in that range.

I don't think the appearance of the K1 is a disqualified: it looks good.

If K1 gets traction it will because it works well as a secure productivity device, has a good camera, and does the incidentals as well as others.

If it is seen by people doing these things it may be much better received than many believe.

Posted via CB10
    It's been my experience that whoever told someone who feels the NEED and thinks that using anything for the purpose of status will somehow raise their self esteem.... lied! What is needed is a good therapist and medication to get you back on track. Are you a follower or a leader?
    Humans are followers by design because they're too lazy to go the extra mile and do what it takes to become the status they pretend to be. So you7 quibble about things so insignificant such as the shape or the color of
    something and are totally void of the knowledge that we may not be here in 4 year.
    If you really want to fit in... don't go where the path my lead. Make your own path and leave a trail.
    04-06-17 12:08 AM
    The average consumer just buys what everyone else has with no further interest to do deeper due diligence.

I decided to buy a BlackBerry in January of 2016. The reason was to switch it up from the norm (iPhone/Galaxy) which I've had both at the time. I didn't know BlackBerry even made phone still. The last Berry I had was in 2009 in college and it was a Pearl and I loved that phone.

So I went searching and saw the Classic and Passport. I really wanted the Passport but the form factor concerned me so I decided to buy the Classic and ended up loving it. The hardware and OS is flawless. Then from that point I became a fan and have bought 6 berries since. My favorite of them all is the Passport SE, absolutely gorgeous design and industrial feel and flawless efficiency in the OS.

I get all types of comments good and bad from others. People don't understand. They think these are outdated old phones, but yet again they don't even try to do a 1 second Google search or care. Too each his own. The K1 is going to change the game though. That phone is something special. It's a shame BlackBerry Mobile failed to deliver in a timely manner which they messed up on. This will have a dramatic effect on the K1's success. Regardless the phone will jumpstart a new Era of Berry phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 04:26 AM
    I do not need some stranger's approval to feel significant. Having said that, proper customer relations, and workplace etiquette is required, and if breached, should be reported. The IT guy had no reason to be impolite.
    04-06-17 04:47 AM
    I think phones have become a status symbol. Let's be honest...Most people do not test the limits of their devices. All this high end processors, chipsets etc. The average person doesnt need it. But moreso, what comes with it. The status. I'm 28 and let me tell you, most people within 5 years of my age up or down, moreso the younger . View the phone moreso as an accessory like one would shoes, watch, handbag. And Blackberry has lost its place in that realm. So you get ppl who snark because it's like a guy showing up to hoop in Rawlings while everyone else in in Nikes and Jordans. Doesn't mean the Rawlings (not saying blackberry is Rawlings ha) are severely sub par or crap...No. But in the realm or sphere of fashion , most definitely. Same goes for BB sadly atm
    You do belong to an insecure and shallow generation. Like the 80s kids concerned with appearances and branding.

Coming from a generation that dabbled in anti-establishment, dirty fashion, secondhand clothes, punk hair, it was pure shock to me to see a generation coming through wanting business degrees and brand product clothes, a model of total conformity.

I don't say any of that with the intention of offense, I am just trying to make honest observations. Not saying anti-establishment was hugely effective either.

For a generation so painfully self-aware, it seems like a glaring blindspot. I guess its a consequence of selfie culture and social messaging. Everyone feels inadequate so they surround themselves with totems and symbols of protection.

Still, whatever effect that is, its dying to some degree.

Younger kids have moved to more private networks like snapchat, where the pressure is lower. Aware from the glare, is their trend.

There's the slow rise of things like psychedelic music, indie rock - things that are more about the inner than the outer. The iPhone has died massively in popularity. I guess things move in waves.

Fashion, like economic markets have their point of saturation. Fashion is connected to freshness, and exclusivity. Which is why iPhone is no long the most popular phone - your grandma has one. How can it be cool when granny rocks it.....Part of why smoking fell out of favour.

I think the best comparison might be the big screen TV, or computer. Its kind of cool, if its high end, also kind of douchebagy like a gold ring. Its probably more cool, if it doesn't cost as much, because its relateable. And definitely don't talk about features or brag. Like somewhere between cool and gaudy.

It's been past "peak cool" for quite some time, and on the way down that slow, its likely to become fairly mundane. Something like a ps4, or a nice TV set. Heck it could easily get to the point where its uncool to spend lots of money on a smartphone or if another device comes along, to even own one. Things move in waves.

But I don't think there is any intention prosumers, or regular consumers buy the new BB devices. They are priced high, and designed to go with a suit.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    04-06-17 05:26 AM
    Yes, just as it was able to get folks to believe in the moon landing and the earth being round.
    AH, sarcasm. I see what you are doing there.

It is true though. People listen to others telling them what is cool, or what they should like and not, like far too often. We live in a world of social media and people striving, almost begging, for acceptance. That is why we as a society post pictures of every aspects of our lives on the internet, all the way down to what we eat, striving for someone to hit the "like" button on our daily lives. That is the whole purpose of the like button, to validate others.

Android holds something like a 87% share of all smartphones out there with Apple owning virtual the balance. When no one owns (relative terms) a BlackBerry nowadays, and you have one it, makes you the black sheep. The outsider. And sadly, the easy target to ridicule.
    04-06-17 07:23 AM
    You do belong to an insecure and shallow generation. Like the 80s kids concerned with appearances and branding.

Coming from a generation that dabbled in anti-establishment, dirty fashion, secondhand clothes, punk hair, it was pure shock to me to see a generation coming through wanting business degrees and brand product clothes, a model of total conformity.

I don't say any of that with the intention of offense, I am just trying to make honest observations. Not saying anti-establishment was hugely effective either.

For a generation so painfully self-aware, it seems like a glaring blindspot. I guess its a consequence of selfie culture and social messaging. Everyone feels inadequate so they surround themselves with totems and symbols of protection.

Still, whatever effect that is, its dying to some degree.

Younger kids have moved to more private networks like snapchat, where the pressure is lower. Aware from the glare, is their trend.

There's the slow rise of things like psychedelic music, indie rock - things that are more about the inner than the outer. The iPhone has died massively in popularity. I guess things move in waves.

Fashion, like economic markets have their point of saturation. Fashion is connected to freshness, and exclusivity. Which is why iPhone is no long the most popular phone - your grandma has one. How can it be cool when granny rocks it.....Part of why smoking fell out of favour.

I think the best comparison might be the big screen TV, or computer. Its kind of cool, if its high end, also kind of douchebagy like a gold ring. Its probably more cool, if it doesn't cost as much, because its relateable. And definitely don't talk about features or brag. Like somewhere between cool and gaudy.

It's been past "peak cool" for quite some time, and on the way down that slow, its likely to become fairly mundane. Something like a ps4, or a nice TV set. Heck it could easily get to the point where its uncool to spend lots of money on a smartphone or if another device comes along, to even own one. Things move in waves.

But I don't think there is any intention prosumers, or regular consumers buy the new BB devices. They are priced high, and designed to go with a suit.
    I'm sorry, but what in the **** are you talking about. Do you realize that in 2016 Apple had 4 phones that were in the top 10 in sales? The IPhone 6, SE and 6S Plus were all in the top 10, and the number one selling phone was the Iphone 6S. The number one selling phone in 2017 will be the Iphone 7. It's fine to post opinions on what you think society is all about but at least get your facts straight.
    04-06-17 07:43 AM
    The average consumer just buys what everyone else has with no further interest to do deeper due diligence.

Posted via CB10
    So this is why people bought BlackBerry's back when they were on top. Or did people have a higher level of thinking then?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-06-17 07:45 AM
    So this is why people bought BlackBerry's back when they were on top. Or did people have a higher level of thinking then?
    You mean when there was a thriving industry of dummy BlackBerry phones folks could buy to feel important?
    Elephant_Canyon and SMocek like this.
    04-06-17 07:52 AM
    AH, sarcasm. I see what you are doing there.

It is true though. People listen to others telling them what is cool, or what they should like and not, like far too often. We live in a world of social media and people striving, almost begging, for acceptance. That is why we as a society post pictures of every aspects of our lives on the internet, all the way down to what we eat, striving for someone to hit the "like" button on our daily lives. That is the whole purpose of the like button, to validate others.

Android holds something like a 87% share of all smartphones out there with Apple owning virtual the balance. When no one owns (relative terms) a BlackBerry nowadays, and you have one it, makes you the black sheep. The outsider. And sadly, the easy target to ridicule.
    I hear you, and actually agree that folks are influenced by others. I'll take it a bit further and say that iPhone in particular thrives off word of mouth.

But I also believe that, even though I don't use an iPhone, it's clear that Apple makes a product that's good enough to compel people to come back. You might fool a few folks for a short time, but it takes a good product to keep them coming back.

The challenge is finding that "good" for the most people.

And yes, BlackBerry has a relatively dismal reputation, but I can't see myself ever being in a situation where my tech -- that I purchased with my own legitimately earned money -- is made fun of.
    04-06-17 08:00 AM
    I have always thought about this. BlackBerrys legacy in enterprise was always that only the important enough people would be issued one. When it was just an enterprise phenomenon. In fact if you listen to or read losing the signal, blackberry marketed based on this. The self important perception of executive types. They were the target market.

So inevitably some people will always view blackberrys as something their jerk bosses lorded over others.
    Yes, and Apple also marketed the iPhone as a phone for individuals and individualists, not for teams. In a direct attack on BlackBerry and to create demand for BYOD email support.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-06-17 08:24 AM
    No, that's calling someone who was rude to a BlackBerry user a jerk. The person could have been cordial, instead of being rude. In work situations, staff should do their job without displaying unfriendly attitudes.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    Agree.

Still the question (from his explanation) from OP was "Why are people so darned negative about BB?" And not "Why are people such jerks about other people having BB phones?"

And yes, the staff was not behaving professionally. Unfortunately, there is a lot of such persons out there. They simply don't respect others if they're different.
    04-06-17 08:30 AM
    LOL pick up line idea " hey when was the last time you typed your phone number on a physical keyboard?"
    megafan2000 and KitJackson67 like this.
    04-06-17 08:32 AM
    "Tools not toys." That was such a rude campaign. Jerks!!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-06-17 08:47 AM
    I remember when I was younger playing baseball one of my teammates brother got married. Long story short he laid down the law to his wife that he wears the pants in the relationship. Got divorced a year later. Off topic side note. Happy wife. Happy life lol

Posted via CB10
    Only those who have been married long enough know this universal truth!

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    04-06-17 08:57 AM
    I think this is why it is so important that BlackBerry Mobile reiterates in its advertising "android" the average consumer still has no idea BlackBerry is now using android
    Yes. My suggestion for a line in a TV commercial is: "Android has now been made secure by BlackBerry in a brand new device, the KEYone".

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    04-06-17 12:07 PM
    Yes. My suggestion for a line in a TV commercial is: "Android has now been made secure by BlackBerry in a brand new device, the KEYone".

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    The BlackBerry name has been cancer for quite some time.

Doubling-down on it instead of a clean break a few years ago was probably not a wise decision. They could have taken the name QNX Mobile and had more success.

It is similar to how people endured decades of suffering with Windows on the computer, and now they cannot give away the phones with that title.

Of course, now the name QNX is cancerous in tech circles as well. That is entirely BlackBerry's fault. Too much marketing speak and not enough substance in the press releases. The latest QNX announcement reads like it written by someone who has no clue what QNX is, so they over-compensated by using marketing buzzwords around the idea that it is somehow "secure."
    04-06-17 01:01 PM
    When you visit flea markets and you have those small shops that say they will fix your phone or sell refurbished phones - guess what you see on their banners? That's right - a BlackBerry loll

That's pretty much why the ridicule.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-06-17 01:42 PM
    The BlackBerry name has been cancer for quite some time.

Doubling-down on it instead of a clean break a few years ago was probably not a wise decision. They could have taken the name QNX Mobile and had more success.

It is similar to how people endured decades of suffering with Windows on the computer, and now they cannot give away the phones with that title.

Of course, now the name QNX is cancerous in tech circles as well. That is entirely BlackBerry's fault. Too much marketing speak and not enough substance in the press releases. The latest QNX announcement reads like it written by someone who has no clue what QNX is, so they over-compensated by using marketing buzzwords around the idea that it is somehow "secure."
    Wait how was QNX become cancerous

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-06-17 01:44 PM
    My response was not directed at the originator of the post. But the complaint about the way non blackberry users react to blackberry owners has been posted many times on Crackberry.
    04-06-17 03:57 PM
    I think Denise has the situation assessed accurately. It boils down to professionalism in the work place. It was missing with this chap. I felt he was a jerk (maybe too strong of a word) due to his condescending attitude when he asked for my cell phone to install a camera monitoring app on it. He literally sneered before telling me I would likely have to sideload the app, before I jumped in and said my phone was android BB. We have used his service for 3 years for alarm monitoring and cameras on the house. His way of being on this last call will affect future dealings. We have always called him for small jobs that we probably could do ourselves as he is a small company trying to make a go of it. I will think longer before calling in the future. I would have a negative feeling toward him even if had sneered at hubby's iphone, but my issue is over the years of being a BB user I have run into so much sarcasm about the BB that it wears very thin. However I have met a few former BB users that are very positive about the possibility of a well received android PKB.
    04-06-17 05:30 PM
    I'm sorry, but what in the **** are you talking about. Do you realize that in 2016 Apple had 4 phones that were in the top 10 in sales? The IPhone 6, SE and 6S Plus were all in the top 10, and the number one selling phone was the Iphone 6S. The number one selling phone in 2017 will be the Iphone 7. It's fine to post opinions on what you think society is all about but at least get your facts straight.
    2016, Annual sales:

Samsung: 306.4466 million (20.5% market share)
    Apple: 216.0640 million (14.4% market share)
    Huawei: 132.8249 million (8.9% market share)
    OPPO: 85.2995 million (5.7% market share)
    BBK Communication Equipment: 72.4086 million (4.8% market share)
    Others: 682.3143 million (45.6% market share)

Is the iPhone one of the best selling phones in 2016, yes. Is it the majority of smartphone sales and market dominant anymore? No (android is market dominant, the majority of users use android phones).

It is however the highest grossing tech company, as the mark up on those things is insane. The people who want them, clearly really still want them. I guess we still had growth last year, so that figures. It was also a year of public blunders for Samsung.

Notice that people like OPPO, Huawei make budget and midrange devices. We are getting to a point where the growth will only be in those sectors. It's already faster there, than in premium. These phones never would have sold many units five years ago.

These trends in the market relate to saturation and also to novelty (which relates to fashion). The ipad is very much still cool as a tablet. Given sales, and the changes in the market, one could at least say that the iPhone is not as cool as it once was. Tablets are still "early".

The growth in apples sales numbers, are merely reflective of the continued "uptake" and growth in the market, similar hikes are seen across the board. Growth is comparative, reflective of device uptake (new smartphone users). But the overall market only grew 6% last year. Its slowing fast.

I think this will be a VERY interesting year, smartphone sales wise. Especially to compare to the last two years. When finally everyone who is going to have a smartphone, has one - that's when you'll see these emerging trends really kick in.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-06-17 at 09:53 PM.
    04-06-17 09:38 PM
    LOL pick up line idea " hey when was the last time you typed your phone number on a physical keyboard?"
    I could answer the question: Last month. Using Nokia 6500 Classic.
    madmax12345 likes this.
    04-07-17 12:08 AM
    2016, Annual sales:

Samsung: 306.4466 million (20.5% market share)
    Apple: 216.0640 million (14.4% market share)
    Huawei: 132.8249 million (8.9% market share)
    OPPO: 85.2995 million (5.7% market share)
    BBK Communication Equipment: 72.4086 million (4.8% market share)
    Others: 682.3143 million (45.6% market share)

Is the iPhone one of the best selling phones in 2016, yes. Is it the majority of smartphone sales and market dominant anymore? No (android is market dominant, the majority of users use android phones).

It is however the highest grossing tech company, as the mark up on those things is insane. The people who want them, clearly really still want them. I guess we still had growth last year, so that figures. It was also a year of public blunders for Samsung.

Notice that people like OPPO, Huawei make budget and midrange devices. We are getting to a point where the growth will only be in those sectors. It's already faster there, than in premium. These phones never would have sold many units five years ago.

These trends in the market relate to saturation and also to novelty (which relates to fashion). The ipad is very much still cool as a tablet. Given sales, and the changes in the market, one could at least say that the iPhone is not as cool as it once was. Tablets are still "early".

The growth in apples sales numbers, are merely reflective of the continued "uptake" and growth in the market, similar hikes are seen across the board. Growth is comparative, reflective of device uptake (new smartphone users). But the overall market only grew 6% last year. Its slowing fast.

I think this will be a VERY interesting year, smartphone sales wise. Especially to compare to the last two years. When finally everyone who is going to have a smartphone, has one - that's when you'll see these emerging trends really kick in.
    Sigh, you realize that Samsung sells dozens of phones right? And none of your long winded post changes the fact that the top selling phone of 2016 was the iPhone 6s, which doesn't do much for your argument that people have stopped buying high end phones.
    Uzi and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-07-17 05:29 AM
    I am surprised that he knows how to sideload app for bb10 lol.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what's worse: someone who is aware of BB10 but belittles it, or someone who just doesn't know about BB10..

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 10:18 AM
    I don't know what's worse: someone who is aware of BB10 but belittles it, or someone who just doesn't know about BB10..
    I know what's worse: someone who holds on to BB10 and insists that they are owed, for free, support from everyone and anyone who does anything even remotely related to phones, regardless of the expense or inconvenience, whether or not it's even possible.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    04-07-17 10:48 AM
191 ... 34567 ...