Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable. I think the majority of people are just comparing it strictly processor to processor of budget phones.

There are a lot of fantastic budget phones you can get nowadays and if price is a major factor, by all means look at those options. The KEYone is a unique device with a pkb that you're not going to find anywhere else.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 07:59 AM
    People say it's overpriced because it is. The android market is VERY spec conscious and "the latest thing" etc... this is not, so it is.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    03-04-17 08:00 AM
    2 things people seem to forget:

1. The average person buys their phone through their carrier at a subsidized price. They won't notice what the full retail price is.

2. An average corporate employee doesn't pay for their device, they simply log in to a service portal and order their phone and it's paid for by the company.
    03-04-17 08:16 AM
    People say it's overpriced because it is. The android market is VERY spec conscious and "the latest thing" etc... this is not, so it is.

Posted via CB10
    It's hard to compare though. You're also paying for a Physical keyboard and additional software. I'm not sure why but people have become really negative towards paying for software on mobile devices. We expect all apps and features to be free which isn't the case.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 08:17 AM
    Let's face it...the price IS too high. It's not a flagship in specs, it's not an Apple or Samsung which has a tremendous following who are willing to pay a premium (in fact Blackberry is a severely tarnished brand) and it appeals to a very limited audience. It should have been priced at US $499 or less to have a shot at any real traction outside of the few remaining Blackberry pkb customers.

The market will speak loudly in short order once it's released and let us all know very quickly if it was priced too high or not.
    03-04-17 08:26 AM
    Well blackberry Priv was launched at hefty price tag of $750 while keyone is $549. And compared to keyone, priv is low on specifications. Also blackberry q10 was launched at price greater that $600-650. While keyone is a champ when compared to q10.
    Agreed with you OP.

I think it's a mix of people just not being able to afford it, not fairly comparing all specs of the phone (just the processor) to other phones, and people not valuing BlackBerry touches to the phone which have added to the cost.

Things like physical keyboard, DTEK, BlackBerry Suite software, and monthly updates are not free!

I think it is fairly priced.
    raqball and Bay 13 like this.
    03-04-17 08:32 AM
    Agreed with you OP.

I think it's a mix of people just not being able to afford it, not fairly comparing all specs of the phone (just the processor) to other phones, and people not valuing BlackBerry touches to the phone which have added to the cost.

Things like physical keyboard, DTEK, BlackBerry Suite software, and monthly updates are not free!

I think it is fairly priced.
    Yup!

If the KEYone had a SD 835, 8GB of RAM and a 4K screen then they'd complain about the processor getting hot and terrible battery life... With those specs it would be priced much higher so they'd complain about that too.... LOL

Some people will just never be happy or satisfied no matter what...
    europolska00, wincyUt and Bay 13 like this.
    03-04-17 08:35 AM
    Everyone seems to mention hardware to compare pricing, yet only focus in on the SoC, ram and gpu. People need to realize that those are the massed produce components that are usually the cheaper components. The case and pkb is HARDWARE. If you want to compare "hardware", you need to list things like the space bar with the finger print scanner...how many phones have that?
    Agreed. Everyone focuses on the SoC and ignore all the other specs. A lot of little things like having Gorilla Glass 4 Vs Gorilla Glass 3, larger battery, faster LTE speeds, etc all add up quickly.

Other phones cheap out and cut corners everywhere else on their devices. But people focus on the SoC and price.

You get what you pay for.
    03-04-17 08:37 AM
    Wow dude you are right oh wait I'm never going to use that....

Posted via CB10
    Then don't buy the KEYone.

Keep in mind
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-04-17 08:39 AM
    It's not over priced. People always want things cheaper. Look at the DTek60.
    wincyUt and Bay 13 like this.
    03-04-17 08:45 AM
    Only is is actually no where near flagship.

I mean, yeah, you can have ford focus and say it is flagship. But you know, it's not near bmw m5

Posted via CB10
    Other than the processor and ram ( which was designed to work with that 3GB efficiently) the remaining specs are all high end.

Build quality, battery, cameras, LTE speeds, speakers, etc.

Your comment that this isn't even close to high end is wrong. The entire device is high end. Just the processor isn't.

Not too mention that this choice of processor will give even longer batterylife.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-04-17 08:47 AM
    Wow dude you are right oh wait I'm never going to use that....

Posted via CB10
    Oh wait you're never going to buy it so your opinion is mute
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-04-17 08:47 AM
    Once you try the KEYone you will you conclude that the price is reasonable for the quality and functionality of device your getting. I can't wait to have it in my hands again after launch event.
    Was the screen crisp and good looking? Did you get to check out speaker volume?
    03-04-17 08:49 AM
    Other than the processor and ram ( which was designed to work with that 3GB efficiently) the remaining specs are all high end.

Build quality, battery, cameras, LTE speeds, speakers, etc.

Your comment that this isn't even close to high end is wrong. The entire device is high end. Just the processor isn't.

Not too mention that this choice of processor will give even longer batterylife.
    Here's a question to you:
    Is Moto Z Play - a high end device?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 08:50 AM
    Let's face it...the price IS too high. It's not a flagship in specs, it's not an Apple or Samsung which has a tremendous following who are willing to pay a premium (in fact Blackberry is a severely tarnished brand) and it appeals to a very limited audience. It should have been priced at US $499 or less to have a shot at any real traction outside of the few remaining Blackberry pkb customers.

The market will speak loudly in short order once it's released and let us all know very quickly if it was priced too high or not.
    Samsung Galaxy 8 and iPhone 8 will both be WAY higher than $549. Your comparison is flawed.
    raqball, wincyUt, sxchan and 1 others like this.
    03-04-17 08:54 AM
    Yup!

If the KEYone had a SD 835, 8GB of RAM and a 4K screen then they'd complain about the processor getting hot and terrible battery life... With those specs it would be priced much higher so they'd complain about that too.... LOL

So true.
    03-04-17 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    To a spec warrior that couldn't care less about actual in hands use? No it is not...

$549 is not a bad price for a mid-high end device.. Wait and see what the S8 and iPhone 8 will cost.. What makes them high end? Because they have a better processor? Better to whom? A gamer?

What makes the KEYone not worth $549 to a spec warrior?

The processor? You realize who this device is marked for right? A SD 820, 821 or 835 is NOT intended for device like this..

3GB of RAM? Explain why you need more on a device like this and for this devices intended purpose

LCD screen? Some want AMOLED but to me it's cartoon'ish and LCD has it's benefits over AMOLED
    wincyUt and Bay 13 like this.
    03-04-17 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes I think Play Z is a high end device.

KEYone has gorilla glass 4 not 3, has 450 Mbps lte not 300 Mbps, has the Sony sensor from Pixel on the back and better camera on the front, keyboard, DTEK, BlackBerry software.

All that for an extra $150. Don't see the problem.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-04-17 09:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    KEYone isn't a cheap plastic Android phone, look at proper comparables and the price is actually lower than the competition
    audifox2016 likes this.
    03-04-17 09:07 AM
    Yup!

So true.....couldn't have said it better
    03-04-17 09:10 AM
    Was the screen crisp and good looking? Did you get to check out speaker volume?
    The screen is LCD and very clear and nice. Same LCD as Passport. With volume played back a YT video and with all background noise volume was really good. Can't wait to have the KEYone!
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-04-17 09:36 AM
    "Why people says Keyone is overpriced?"
    Simple, because they're broke, having bought the overpriced Priv @ launch.
    No monies for the upcoming K1. They mad.
    Last edited by WT44; 03-04-17 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    nbaliga and nycspaces. like this.
    03-04-17 09:49 AM
    You can get a pretty decent phone for $300 these days, a new mid segment phone or a new flagship from a year ago; say the keyboard and security updates are worth $50 to $100 and there's your price. We all have some idea of how much we are willing to pay, so there is no "right" price for everyone.
    yessuz likes this.
    03-04-17 09:51 AM
    The screen is LCD and very clear and nice. Same LCD as Passport. With volume played back a YT video and with all background noise volume was really good. Can't wait to have the KEYone!
    Glad to hear the speakers are great. I was luke warm on the quality of my Passports LCD though. Thanks for the feed back!
    03-04-17 10:06 AM
    I am sure keyone can hit at least 500k sold,549usd is expensive for other country but not Abu Dhabi and us

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 10:07 AM
520 1234 ...