Q3 Championship: With $549/€599 price tag though, KEYone will be pitted (by most potential customers) against Samsung S7/edge, LG G6/V20. Let's see the winner in July/August/September.
    People looking at the KEYone will be looking at the obvious physical keyboard. If the price isn't outrageous, which it isn't, then they'll consider it.

I doubt TCL has any expectation that they're in direct competition with slabs (where the similar form factor would cause buyers to consider the nuance of CPU/RAM/etc. vs price).
    03-17-17 01:25 PM
    Also the problem is that 2016 flagship phones are much more affordable. Recently, Samsung S7 edge was only $450 with 128gb micro sd card directly from Samsung. Keyone must compete with last year flagship and 2017 midrange devices!
    They'll be competing with in terms of being in the market, but a slab doesn't have the same utility. Most cars are sedans, but if you need a pickup to haul things, you get the pickup even if it costs more.
    03-17-17 01:30 PM
    People looking at the KEYone will be looking at the obvious physical keyboard. If the price isn't outrageous, which it isn't, then they'll consider it.

I doubt TCL has any expectation that they're in direct competition with slabs (where the similar form factor would cause buyers to consider the nuance of CPU/RAM/etc. vs price).
    The price isn't outrageous but it is over my pscycological' price wall of 600$ CDN for a well borned and complete(all features of the availables: NFC, gyro, wireless charging, optical focus , finger print reader) mid range price device.

Posted via CB10
    th.1977 and Dave Knight2 like this.
    03-17-17 01:34 PM
    They'll be competing with in terms of being in the market, but a slab doesn't have the same utility. Most cars are sedans, but if you need a pickup to haul things, you get the pickup even if it costs more.
    But we need those average consumer to buy keyone! Unless tcl is truely aiming for government/enterprises only and doesn't care about average consumers.
    03-17-17 01:40 PM
    The price isn't outrageous but it is over my pscycological' price wall of 600$ CDN for a well borned and complete(all features of the availables: NFC, gyro, wireless charging, optical focus , finger print reader) mid range price device.
    I see that the physical keyboard isn't on your list of features, which, to me, means that for you, it's something "nice" to have, but it's not something you're willing to pay extra for, i.e. the physical keyboard has no additional benefit to you. If you were to buy a slab and add a keyboard, how much would you pay for the keyboard?
    03-17-17 02:04 PM
    I see that the physical keyboard isn't on your list of features, which, to me, means that for you, it's something "nice" to have, but it's not something you're willing to pay extra for, i.e. the physical keyboard has no additional benefit to you. If you were to buy a slab and add a keyboard, how much would you pay for the keyboard?
    Your wrong. For that feature a could afford a 30 or 40$ in tab fee or extra charge. So that it:s mean a price between 600$ and 650$ CDN i t is the right price.

Posted via CB10
    th.1977 likes this.
    03-17-17 02:15 PM
    But we need those average consumer to buy keyone! Unless tcl is truely aiming for government/enterprises only and doesn't care about average consumers.
    If the average consumer is mostly price sensitive and sees no value in physical keyboards, as some people here suggest, selling KEYone's cheaper and losing money isn't going to help TCL. The price isn't outrageous for consumers and if they sell fewer than they need, to hit certain sales goals, they can always lower the price a bit later on. Devices will always go down in price and if they had priced it lower, they would probably get more initial sales, but lose out later on as they drop the price due to aging of the KEYone. The people who are complaining now would still be complaining, as there is always a cheaper slab out there. The physical keyboard will always add an additional cost that will keep it above similarly spec'ed slab prices.
    03-17-17 02:18 PM
    Your wrong. For that feature a could afford a 30 or 40$ in tab fee or extra charge. So that it:s mean a price between 600$ and 650$ CDN i t is the right price.
    You're willing to spend $600 CDN for a mid-range slab, correct? If you were to buy a physical keyboard for it, you're expecting that add-on will cost $30-40 USD? Where would you find one at that price? Of what quality would it be? How much thickness would it add? Would it need to be separately charged for backlighting?

Now, how much is BlackBerry's security, software suite and monthly security updates, for about two years, worth to you? If it's worth $0 additional dollars, then yes, get the slab and live without the physical keyboard because TCL is placing a $130 CDN premium for the physical keyboard and BlackBerry's software and services.
    03-17-17 02:32 PM
    I give you my approach to the K1 having used both the Priv and the DTEK60... with my usage and work load, I see lag in the Priv and none in the DTEK60... I miss the physical kb when using the DTEK60 but the kb of the Priv is too cramped for my hands... so, I am considering the K1 and I wonder how the performance will be, similar to the Priv or to the DTEK60? The SoC are different between the three devices, but according to bench marks etc, seems like the 808 and the 625 are closer to each other in performance than 625 and 820... great that the 625 improved the heat and the battery usage comparing to the 808, so that's a winner... but what about the RAM? Because of the extra RAM together with a good SoC, the DTEK60 works very well... now, I am 100% the K1 will perform well for my work load at the beginning but I can't help but wonder how it will in few months because of the SoC but mostly, because of the RAM... and that's why I hesitate... the price isn't a deal breaker but in this approach for some people could be... to put it in a different way, I could buy it full price and if after putting everything the performance is closer to the Priv than to the DTEK60, the phone will be returned... or, which is likely the way it will happen, I will wait for initial reviews, and if the general reviews are positive, I could buy it once the price drops a bit... in that approach, a better price or an extra RAM could have helped in the decision making... see my point? And I don't think I am the only one in this camp...
    03-17-17 02:55 PM
    The dtek 60 is a high end device. The Keyone is only near one.
    Secondly my opinion is about to have the right price. Because most of the last BB devices have seen their prices cut down to be able to get out the store. The best should be to have correct price and maintained it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 02:55 PM
    Why 4 GiG of RAM!? Because of the heaviness of BB android OS. More ram keep away from CPU to work too hard and drain battery.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Android is almost bloat-free. It's very close to stock Android. 4GB Ram would be better, if it didn't cost any more, but the K1 will run great on 3GB for all practical purposes that make sense on a messaging-oriented phone with a 3:2 screen.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-17-17 02:56 PM
    BlackBerry Android is almost bloat-free. It's very close to stock Android. 4GB Ram would be better, if it didn't cost any more, but the K1 will run great on 3GB for all practical purposes that make sense on a messaging-oriented phone with a 3:2 screen.

For that reason even I still and sqw100-1 upgrade, my next step will probably be for the Dtek 60. PK I are great but as most customers the important thing is to have the best overall device available for the price when the is time to change phone or service contract.

And in add as another member said all the "real BB+" regarding to security, it is more like an option, and not offer to usual user. a BB phone is only a device now like other with a few things that we still love. One of the the favorite is the KB but not only that, the menus, the text prediction some little aspects from the software part.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 03:13 PM
    The dtek 60 is a high end device. The Keyone is only near one.
    Secondly my opinion is about to have the right price. Because most of the last BB devices have seen their prices cut down to be able to get out the store. The best should be to have correct price and maintained it.
    Maintain it for how long? The Android market moves very fast, with new devices out practically every month. As unique as the KEYone is, it'll look worse and worse in specs and "spec warriors" will complain more and more. The only reasonable plan is to price it as high as reasonable, then reduce the price as the device ages and sales decline. Perhaps along the way, they hit upon a price that will peak sales for a short time, but to expect the price to be maintained for the duration of the product production isn't realistic. Even Apple puts out new devices ever year to "maintain" the price.
    03-17-17 03:26 PM
    For that reason even I still and sqw100-1 upgrade, my next step will probably be for the Dtek 60. PK I are great but as most customers the important thing is to have the best overall device available for the price when the is time to change phone or service contract.

And in add as another member said all the "real BB+" regarding to security, it is more like an option, and not offer to usual user. a BB phone is only a device now like other with a few things that we still love. One of the the favorite is the KB but not only that, the menus, the text prediction some little aspects from the software part.
    Isn't it these "little aspects" that you are willing to pay more for, with a DTEK 60, than some other inexpensive Chinese-brand flagships like the OnePlus or Axon?
    03-17-17 03:32 PM
    LOL yet another comparison to phones that makes NO sense whatsoever..

Don't buy it then! Cool, another person I won't have to worry about getting in front of my pre order! :woot: :woot:
    The way you talk is not very forum friendly, and when we bring good arguments, except laughing at people or saying it makes no sense, no shame to be a blind pkb lover.
    When a moto g4 plus from 2016 got 4gb of ram and even new BlackBerry Aurora with 4gb of ram for less than 300usd, it makes sense to see k1 is overpriced for the specs
    03-17-17 03:41 PM
    The way you talk is not very forum friendly, and when we bring good arguments, except laughing at people or saying it makes no sense, no shame to be a blind pkb lover.
    When a moto g4 plus from 2016 got 4gb of ram and even new BlackBerry Aurora with 4gb of ram for less than 300usd, it makes sense to see k1 is overpriced for the specs
    Most of the arguments here make no sense.. The KEYone is compared to phones and prices that it should not be.. It's how people self justify their decision I suppose..

I am blunt and a matter of fact.. Sorry if that offends you but the fact I stated remain and refusal of spec warriors to address very simple questions remain..

I've asked about 10 times why 4GB of RAM is needed and thus far not a single response.. None, nadda, zero, zilch... I have a Z5 Compact right now with 2GB of RAM and it breezes along..

I've yet to hear a single rational response as to why the KEYone os overpriced.. Some have said they can't afford it and they have a valid to them argument. The people who toss out specs? Meh, they refuse to justify their KEYone spec slamming..

If you have a valid reason for needing that extra 1GB of RAM then I am all ears..
    03-17-17 03:46 PM
    If you have a valid reason for needing that extra 1GB of RAM then I am all ears..
    Well, I swapped 6 GB for 24 GB on my desktop computer last year(!) for less than $100 USD. All smartphones are overpriced!
    raqball and th.1977 like this.
    03-17-17 03:55 PM
    This not a forum to complain: no of course.
    Here I guess all members try to defend their point for helping constructively BB mobile to reach their goals. Because we all want that this company try for long to give us PK devices with interesting form factors. Will they succeed? Smell close from a succes but they could drop it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 05:43 PM
    And now there is even censor on this forum when you do not agree with some people, even if no bad words have been used, it seems crackberry has became a sect

I will delete my account later
    03-18-17 12:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the target market for this phone is the millions of people currently on BBM and BB10, together with people who really loved their BlackBerry devices but felt compelled to switch to iOS/Android for Apps, but who would still prefer a PKB.

The total addressable market for those demographics is probably between 10-50 million users globally.

I think TCL would be extremely happy with selling a total of 2M units in the first year, and that they'd be satisfied with 1/2 that number.

Before reaching out to the "average" consumer, they need to shore up their base of loyalists, followed by securing sales from returning customers. When those two groups are taken care of (2 or 3 devices), they can then start to focus on the "prosumer" segment of the wider smartphone market

murphy_thom and Dave Knight2 like this.
    03-18-17 12:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the target market for this phone is the millions of people currently on BBM and BB10, together with people who really loved their BlackBerry devices but felt compelled to switch to iOS/Android for Apps, but who would still prefer a PKB.

The total addressable market for those demographics is probably between 10-50 million users globally.

I think TCL would be extremely happy with selling a total of 2M units in the first year, and that they'd be satisfied with 1/2 that number.

Before reaching out to the "average" consumer, they need to shore up their base of loyalists, followed by securing sales from returning customers. When those two groups are taken care of (2 or 3 devices), they can then start to focus on the "prosumer" segment of the wider smartphone market

I agree with most of what you stated.. I believe it's mainly targeted at business types who were the mainstay of past PBK devices. People who send a lot of email or type a lot on the phone are prime targets for this device. Mainly professional types but plenty of consumers as well.

It's not really intended in my opinion for the masses.. It's not going to be great at gaming and the odd screen size will more than likely cause some issues for the media consumption crowd. I wonder how it will handle youtube and the like? Will it be like the Passport and have the resizing options?
    03-18-17 01:24 PM
    People think BlackBerry devices are overpriced, as they are not marketed well.

People doesn't know the distinctive features, safety features of a BlackBerry.

How many media Centric phones had a Play / Pause Button?

How many Smartphone Front Cameras are functioning correctly, I mean you can judge a pic whether it is a selfie or not with the image being revert (left to right) .

How many smart phones offer Dual Stereo speakers.

Nokia / Microsoft and BlackBerry had done one big Mistake, They had never invested in good marketing.

There are very few flagship BlackBerry or Nokia live smartphone in the Stores for display in India.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 02:51 PM
    BB10 adopter , I agree with your conclusion but not your rationale. BBM and brand value mainly resides in Indonesia , South Africa and Nigeria, the last markets where BBOS was popular. The main attraction in the rest of the world is the PKB. Not many "loyalists" still using a Z device .
    03-18-17 09:56 PM
    Nokia / Microsoft and BlackBerry had done one big Mistake, They had never invested in good marketing.
    What are you talking about? Nokia / Microsoft had probably the best marketing and TV commercials for a smartphone.
    03-18-17 11:23 PM
    I mean they doesn't give live mobile phones at the Selling points like Samsung, Apple and Others!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 02:44 AM
520 ... 1314151617 ...