Touchscreen (aka Hamburg) is the budget option. Chen said so himself yesterday. So probably what has happened here is the touchscreen is 90% farmed out except for some aesthetic touches and they have (hopefully) kept the pkb option design completely 'in house' with a more Classic (pun intended) Blackberry look and feel.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    06-24-16 03:24 PM
    Just focus on the die hard BB10 users for now until you ( Blackberry) can come out with an up to par android that can really have a chance against the top perfected android phones out there.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 03:34 PM
    Just focus on the die hard BB10 users for now until you ( Blackberry) can come out with an up to par android that can really have a chance against the top perfected android phones out there.

Posted via CB10
    Chen seems to think like this:
    There is a loyal user base of maybe 3 Mio people die hard Crackberrians.

No matter what he'll do, you can not put them off as a customer!!

That would explain why he plans to release the all touch first wanting to try it in the mass market first.

He can still release the pkb phone afterwards, I think he knows exactly (+/- 500k) how many units he will sell, supposed to be exactly the same as with Q5/Q10, passport, classic!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 02:59 AM
    They just need to focus on getting it right. One thing they could do would be to have a PC-integration option like Apple has with their phones and Android is sorely lacking. Being able to text on your computer may seem like just a gimmick but when you're a productivity powerhouse, it can be painful leaving the computer screen to pick up a phone just to reply to a text.
    07-13-16 08:44 AM
    I also bought a Priv on launch day last year and returned it within the week, I didn't like the form factor at all, the phone was big, thick, plastic,crap front facing camera and don't even get me started about the slider which doesn't make sense to me and the really cramped PKB underneath.

The OS was fine and I knew that it would only improve but I couldn't deal with the device, I'm REALLY interested in a non slider Android be it PKB or Slab.
    07-13-16 10:30 AM
    I also bought a Priv on launch day last year and returned it within the week, I didn't like the form factor at all, the phone was big, thick, plastic,crap front facing camera and don't even get me started about the slider which doesn't make sense to me and the really cramped PKB underneath.

The OS was fine and I knew that it would only improve but I couldn't deal with the device, I'm REALLY interested in a non slider Android be it PKB or Slab.
    This. The hardware was just inferior. Within two weeks I had slider sticking issues and wobble issues out of the box. Returned it.

Loved the Classic hardware. How is it taking them so long to make a longer Classic with Android? The incompetence is incredible.
    07-13-16 12:34 PM
    We all know that the PKB devices are coming last, BlackBerry has this trend of shooting themselves in the foot that they most follow until the end of time (their time, whenever that is). BlackBerry is known for PKB devices, they tried the all touch and the masses just ho-hummed at it, so why keep bothering them? BlackBerry said they're pretty much becoming a niche device maker in the past, so why not cater to the niche? (No, I don't count the PRIV, nobody asked for a slider, the least demanded form factor)

Looking forward to BlackBerry, FINALLY, releasing a Classic form factor device (taller screen of course), probably in 1st QTR of 2017 calendar-year.... IF we're lucky.
    07-14-16 08:46 AM
    We all know that the PKB devices are coming last, BlackBerry has this trend of shooting themselves in the foot that they most follow until the end of time (their time, whenever that is). BlackBerry is known for PKB devices, they tried the all touch and the masses just ho-hummed at it, so why keep bothering them? BlackBerry said they're pretty much becoming a niche device maker in the past, so why not cater to the niche? (No, I don't count the PRIV, nobody asked for a slider, the least demanded form factor)

Looking forward to BlackBerry, FINALLY, releasing a Classic form factor device (taller screen of course), probably in 1st QTR of 2017 calendar-year.... IF we're lucky.
    Customers ho-hummed at the Z10 and Z30 because they did not have major apps on the BB10 platform, not because they were all-touch devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-14-16 09:19 AM
    I have a passport for the first time and actually thinking of getting a silver edition...I am new to all the forums and to be honest the keyboards are awesome on the passport and would love to see the next generation passport very soon...I will not change my passport if is not upgraded with a better model just like it....i am just waiting to see what blackberry has for us next

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 10:14 AM
    ...One thing they could do would be to have a PC-integration option like Apple has with their phones and Android is sorely lacking. Being able to text on your computer ....
    I think you mean BlackBerry should do for Android what they already have for BB10. No reason to glorify Apple about this....

From what I've seen around the forums, BlackBerry Blend on the Android platform is one of the most requested features to port to Android.
    07-15-16 06:04 AM
    Since so many android all-touch photos in the market, blackberry should manufacture only pkb phones. The best keyboard that BlackBerry has ever had is 9900 IMHO. Just integrate the 9900 keyboard into an android BlackBerry and price it wisely. This will win back not only the original BlackBerry users but also acquire android users that now are using all-touch phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 08:53 AM
    We already have two pkb available..it would be stupid for BlackBerry to release another one. Plus what's available is enough for the niche market, time to go after up and coming young users, future, with vkb only.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 06:39 AM
    Since so many android all-touch photos in the market, blackberry should manufacture only pkb phones. The best keyboard that BlackBerry has ever had is 9900 IMHO. Just integrate the 9900 keyboard into an android BlackBerry and price it wisely. This will win back not only the original BlackBerry users but also acquire android users that now are using all-touch phones.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what defines "an original BlackBerry user", but I've used BlackBerry pkb phones, and I wouldn't buy the pkb phone today if that was all they offered.

They need to offer both at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 06:49 AM
    We already have two pkb available..it would be stupid for BlackBerry to release another one. Plus what's available is enough for the niche market, time to go after up and coming young users, future, with vkb only.

Posted via CB10
    What if the young users would love a Pkb. They have never tried one right...isnt that a more serious selling point rather than expect them to give away their existing vkb for a BlackBerry vkb
    07-18-16 08:14 AM
    What if the young users would love a Pkb. They have never tried one right...isnt that a more serious selling point rather than expect them to give away their existing vkb for a BlackBerry vkb
    I use pkb, in last three years I haven't seen a single young user use pkb phone. Young users don't like or love pkb, if they did then u would see it translate into blackberry's bottom line with Priv and passport...and that hasn't happened. Young users like flashy, well built, powerful performance, and slim profile beautiful phones...unfortunately incompetent design team at BlackBerry has failed to assess true requirements and has disappointed. Only reason new phones might look good is because they're outsourced...such as the idol phone. Anything blackberry builds looks like a phone from last century.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 09:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    There aren't many giant 1989-1990 Nokia brick style or bag phones either. Blackberry could have 100% of that market.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-18-16 10:05 AM
    The one thing that I think BlackBerry should do with their next pkb phone is market it as a texting phone with apps. Play up how good it is to send messages with FB, Twitter, etc. They have to show younger people who have never used a pkb what it is good for.
    07-18-16 12:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Which two? The only pkb Android device I know of from BB is a Priv, and that was not at all priced as a mid-range device, plus it's a slider, not a fixed keyboard. There are MANY reasons why someone who is interested in what the Rome/Mercury is slated to be would not be interested in the Priv. Now, what is the other device?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-18-16 01:24 PM
    I use pkb, in last three years I haven't seen a single young user use pkb phone. Young users don't like or love pkb, if they did then u would see it translate into blackberry's bottom line with Priv and passport...and that hasn't happened. Young users like flashy, well built, powerful performance, and slim profile beautiful phones...unfortunately incompetent design team at BlackBerry has failed to assess true requirements and has disappointed. Only reason new phones might look good is because they're outsourced...such as the idol phone. Anything blackberry builds looks like a phone from last century.

Posted via CB10
    Not at all a fair comparison. Priv was way overpriced, and Passport is BB10, an OS the public would have you believe is "inferior." So there were plenty other reasons for the young people to not be interested in them besides the pkb... We won't know how they would react until there is an actual Android device with a pkb, with decent specs, that isn't too big and isn't too expensive. Then you could use that as reference.

07-18-16 01:28 PM
    The one thing that I think BlackBerry should do with their next pkb phone is market it as a texting phone with apps. Play up how good it is to send messages with FB, Twitter, etc. They have to show younger people who have never used a pkb what it is good for.
    Except young people don't seem to care much about accuracy and lack of typos, or the ability to type and do things without staring at their phones. That's really where pkb's excel. You can be as fast or faster tapping on glass and staring into a phone all day is pretty much a badge of honor for young people now...

07-18-16 01:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    There is no difference with young and old on use of a PKB. Young like phones with Apps...thats a better statement. As such, BlackBerry hasn't built any Android device with Pkb. (Personally don't consider Priv as a pkb device...not a BlackBerry type). So an Android with pkb is a better selling point rather than an Android with vkb (there are 100's of them) .
    deadcowboy likes this.
    07-18-16 01:44 PM
    Except young people don't seem to care much about accuracy and lack of typos, or the ability to type and do things without staring at their phones. That's really where pkb's excel. You can be as fast or faster tapping on glass and staring into a phone all day is pretty much a badge of honor for young people now...

If BlackBerry makes any more pkb phones, they have to figure out who to sell them to, and give a solid reason why that person would LOVE a pkb phone. Otherwise, don't bother.
    07-18-16 03:45 PM
    I think you mean BlackBerry should do for Android what they already have for BB10. No reason to glorify Apple about this....

From what I've seen around the forums, BlackBerry Blend on the Android platform is one of the most requested features to port to Android.
    And they haven't ported it. Why wouldn't I glorify Apple for what they're doing on a current OS and no other company currently is?
    07-20-16 12:18 PM
    The second the pkb phone is up for preorder, blackberry shall have my money

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    07-20-16 11:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually my daughter has had only pkb BlackBerrys since she was 14. She is now a young adult. She has a Q10. She's waiting for BlackBerry to release a pkb phone with Android. She wants apps like Snapchat, but won't leave her pkb.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-21-16 09:38 PM
50 12