Just a thought. Thanks to Cobalt's solution, anyone with an all touch Android device can pretty much make their own BlackBerry Hamburg (no DTEK, Productivity Edge, but that's about it) in varying sizes and form factors. Given that it's going to be a mid-range device, I wonder why BlackBerry didn't put a higher priority on the device that you can't install anywhere else - the next touch capacitive Android pkb device?

My guess is the mid-range Hamburg isn't going to turn any eyes at carrier stores or with most consumers. And a lot of BlackBerry fans of their software (Hub, keyboard) have already installed Cobalt's solution no doubt.

Is it to provide a potential upgrade path for loyal Z30/Leap/etc users? Or leave some time for Priv users to upgrade? Is it an enterprise play where that base is asking for a cheaper all touch? Or is it logistics - it's easier, cheaper and quicker to make the all touch version and get it to market?

The Priv was overpriced for the market imho, and my gut sense is that many BlackBerry fans who passed on the Priv might take a leap (ha) at the cheaper Rome device. I'm considering it myself, though I'd prefer a wider Passport form factor (one day I can still hope).

The Rome may not do well either, it'll definitely give an indication of how many PKB diehards are left these days. But my thought is just that it would be better to release that device as soon as possible before even more leave the flock...
    esd820 likes this.
    06-09-16 11:47 AM
    Who said anything definitive about any of the device release dates? lol. You wrote a lot of words based on assumptions.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    06-09-16 11:53 AM
    In my mind if you are pushing for existing BlackBerry fleet customers and want them to make this change to Android... really should release both of these fleet devcies about the same time. And while we don't have data to prove it... I think the non-pkb is probable the more popular design even among BlackBerry fleet users. I saw a lot more post from BlackBerry about big orders for the LEAP than I did for the Classic.
    06-09-16 11:54 AM
    Who said anything definitive about any of the device release dates? lol. You wrote a lot of words based on assumptions.
    You are absolutely correct, sir. However, I'm assuming that the rumours / leaks / etc are correct.

And I know what assume makes of U and ME, lol.
    06-09-16 11:59 AM
    In my mind if you are pushing for existing BlackBerry fleet customers and want them to make this change to Android... really should release both of these fleet devcies about the same time. And while we don't have data to prove it... I think the non-pkb is probable the more popular design even among BlackBerry fleet users. I saw a lot more post from BlackBerry about big orders for the LEAP than I did for the Classic.
    That's interesting, didn't know that. Makes sense I guess since all touch is obviously the massively preferred form factor. Definitely agree they should release them both as close as possible, just to be in parity with other mobile OEMs.
    06-09-16 12:00 PM
    I think BlackBerrys best move is to release both devices at once. I think releasing the Hamburgler first will only make the diehards who will purchase first week wait longer and then there will be lackluster sales because those who want an all-touch can get that somewhere else.

At the same time, there are probably corporate entities and government agencies that are waiting on the Hamburg and you definitely don't want to wait... So it's a double edge sword in a sense.

"Damned if you, damned if you don't."
    06-09-16 01:51 PM
    I think BlackBerrys best move is to release both devices at once. I think releasing the Hamburgler first will only make the diehards who will purchase first week wait longer and then there will be lackluster sales because those who want an all-touch can get that somewhere else.

At the same time, there are probably corporate entities and government agencies that are waiting on the Hamburg and you definitely don't want to wait... So it's a double edge sword in a sense.

"Damned if you, damned if you don't."
    Good point, both you and Dunt Dunt Dunt, the all touch vs pkb crowd seems to serve two separate crowds, so why stagger the release? Why not time the release so they're launched simultaneously? Like the iPhone 6 / 6S or Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge.
    06-09-16 02:07 PM
    I guess it's not interesting enough to discuss in advance...

We'll just have to wait until the devices are released and then the usual experts will weigh in with sudden 20/20 vision as to why BlackBerry failed... Seems to be the way things are discussed here, lol.
    06-09-16 05:58 PM
    If reports in the news here on CB are to be believed, PKB only attracts the BlackBerry faithful, a tiny percentage of smartphone customers.

Carriers have found that the Priv's keyboard attracts existing/old BlackBerry users but that Android puts a lot of them off and they return the phone, if the report is to be believed.

So that could be a big reason why Hamburg is coming first before Rome, if Rome is even still a thing that's coming, there have been rumours already that it isn't anymore. Perhaps based on those PKB/Android findings.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2789 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.6.28
    06-09-16 06:51 PM
    If reports in the news here on CB are to be believed, PKB only attracts the BlackBerry faithful, a tiny percentage of smartphone customers.

Carriers have found that the Priv's keyboard attracts existing/old BlackBerry users but that Android puts a lot of them off and they return the phone, if the report is to be believed.

So that could be a big reason why Hamburg is coming first before Rome, if Rome is even still a thing that's coming, there have been rumours already that it isn't anymore. Perhaps based on those PKB/Android findings.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2789 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.6.28
    Thanks, makes sense

I personally believe that if BlackBerry wants to sell consumers on the PKB they need to release a device like the Passport which is uncompromisingly a PKB device... Just my personal belief.
    06-09-16 07:03 PM
    And the biggest assumption of all is Chen isn't already "revisiting what he should do with hardware next" with all the carrier dissing lately.
    06-09-16 07:40 PM
    And the biggest assumption of all is Chen isn't already "revisiting what he should do with hardware next" with all the carrier dissing lately.
    I find it hard to believe there's moments when he isn't thinking of that lol.
    06-09-16 08:26 PM
    I think we will learn more on the Q1 result call on June 23th.

Chen always liked to spark a good mood on these calls by announcing release dates!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 01:40 AM
    I think we will learn more on the Q1 result call on June 23th.

Chen always liked to spark a good mood on these calls by announcing release dates!

Posted via CB10
    Announcing release dates, or announcing announcements for release dates as soon?
    JeepBB and Barbareren like this.
    06-11-16 07:17 AM
    Announcing release dates, or announcing announcements for release dates as soon?
    He's gonna have to announce something I'd think. They'll be asking about the AT&T insider info on Priv returns, the CBC Report on sharing with law enforcement...

I think we all know handset sales will be a near disaster, hopefully they've made more headway on software revenues.

Either way, I want to see more on Rome, regardless of how many ancient pkb enthusiasts like myself are left, lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 07:41 AM
    He's gonna have to announce something I'd think. They'll be asking about the AT&T insider info on Priv returns, the CBC Report on sharing with law enforcement...

I think we all know handset sales will be a near disaster, hopefully they've made more headway on software revenues.

Either way, I want to see more on Rome, regardless of how many ancient pkb enthusiasts like myself are left, lol.

Posted via CB10
    He might wait until the Security Summit in July to announce devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 07:55 AM
    He might wait until the Security Summit in July to announce devices.

Posted via CB10
    Closer to the rumoured release date of August. Yeah, maybe he'll wait till then. I just think he's gonna want a "look, shiny!" moment for the earnings call to distract from all the bad news.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 08:48 AM
    Closer to the rumoured release date of August. Yeah, maybe he'll wait till then. I just think he's gonna want a "look, shiny!" moment for the earnings call to distract from all the bad news.

Posted via CB10
    Might sound like a conspiracy theory but now that I think about it... the negative news flowing lately, i.e "anonymous" AT&T exec speaking about the Priv's crappy sales, T-Mobile dropping the Priv and "anonymous" insider leaking about turning info over "ethically", seems awfully close to the earnings release. Coincidence?
    06-11-16 09:32 AM
    Hold on, let me get a fresh sheet and wrap it around my head, lol.

Could be, that seems to have happened in the past. Do a lot of people still short the stock? Not much of a market player, but I could believe it's possible (though not necessarily true).

Ten years ago nobody would have believed that all the intelligence agencies were intercepting everyone's emails, texts, calls, browsing history, etc. but here we are....

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 10:01 AM
    Ten years ago nobody would have believed that all the intelligence agencies were intercepting everyone's emails, texts, calls, browsing history, etc. but here we are....

Posted via CB10
    Not that anyone cares anymore unfortunately...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    06-11-16 10:06 AM
    Not that anyone cares anymore unfortunately...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    True, most don't. That's why they use a gradual strategy - introduce the idea, then slowly implement it incrementally over a period of years instead of all at once. Not sure if the Communists were the first to figure it out?

Anyway, I still want to see the specs on the Rome, and hope they release it sooner than later. Clock's a tickin'.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 10:59 AM
    Might sound like a conspiracy theory but now that I think about it... the negative news flowing lately, i.e "anonymous" AT&T exec speaking about the Priv's crappy sales, T-Mobile dropping the Priv and "anonymous" insider leaking about turning info over "ethically", seems awfully close to the earnings release. Coincidence?
    And interestingly, beyond the CBC report, now the Globe and Mail is reporting on cracking the Montreal Mafia's BlackBerrys (in 2011). The plot thickens, hmmmm, lol.

Murder and rivalry: The intercepted BlackBerry messages of the Montreal Mafia - The Globe and Mail
    booker1953 likes this.
    06-11-16 01:49 PM
    As somebody who bought (and quickly returned) the Priv, I can attest to the fact it's not just Android (and it's top-centric navigation), but the keyboard itself that is absolutely awful, and the device is just too big, especially with the keyboard in place.

It's funny, as a result, I was almost ready to be done with Blackberry, and move onto Samsung, but instead have held out hopes that they will introduce a Q10 or Classic-sized device with a PKB running android, reverting back to a 3-year old Q10 with a finicky charge port and battery that has gone to crap.

When you hear foolish things like "let's release the mid-range, full touch device first, because that appeals to the masses", it's blatantly obvious that Blackberry still doesn't get it. There's absolutely nothing that differentiates them with a device like that, in fact, their name alone probably a detractor from sales from somebody who's never had a Blackberry.

They've repeated this mistake ever since the Bold 9000, where they foolishly try to compete in the full-touch device market, with a inferior OS (BB10 to Android/iOS), but making those their flagship phones. Their path to success, lies in continuously upgrading their loyal customers and getting back people who were faced with the choice between apps and their beloved keyboard. I'm running a 3-year old Q10 that is literally dying. I know a quite a few others, still running Bold 9900s. They haven't introduced a new phone for this segment in 2 years. In terms of gettting people back, they will come, but they're not going to come for a "midrange touch device" that offers no differntiation from a lower-end Samsung, HTC, or whatever it is. They'll come back for their keyboard.

Give us android & the apps that you just can't get on BB10, but give it to us in a package that still allows it to be a 1-handed, physical keyboard device. Every year, rinse and repeat, upgrading cameras, battery life, screen density, processor, whatever.
    CmdrStraker and Barbareren like this.
    06-15-16 09:12 AM
    As somebody who bought (and quickly returned) the Priv, I can attest to the fact it's not just Android (and it's top-centric navigation), but the keyboard itself that is absolutely awful, and the device is just too big, especially with the keyboard in place.

It's funny, as a result, I was almost ready to be done with Blackberry, and move onto Samsung, but instead have held out hopes that they will introduce a Q10 or Classic-sized device with a PKB running android, reverting back to a 3-year old Q10 with a finicky charge port and battery that has gone to crap.

When you hear foolish things like "let's release the mid-range, full touch device first, because that appeals to the masses", it's blatantly obvious that Blackberry still doesn't get it. There's absolutely nothing that differentiates them with a device like that, in fact, their name alone probably a detractor from sales from somebody who's never had a Blackberry.

They've repeated this mistake ever since the Bold 9000, where they foolishly try to compete in the full-touch device market, with a inferior OS (BB10 to Android/iOS), but making those their flagship phones. Their path to success, lies in continuously upgrading their loyal customers and getting back people who were faced with the choice between apps and their beloved keyboard. I'm running a 3-year old Q10 that is literally dying. I know a quite a few others, still running Bold 9900s. They haven't introduced a new phone for this segment in 2 years. In terms of gettting people back, they will come, but they're not going to come for a "midrange touch device" that offers no differntiation from a lower-end Samsung, HTC, or whatever it is. They'll come back for their keyboard.

Give us android & the apps that you just can't get on BB10, but give it to us in a package that still allows it to be a 1-handed, physical keyboard device. Every year, rinse and repeat, upgrading cameras, battery life, screen density, processor, whatever.
    I have to agree with you. The physical keyboard on the Q10, Passport etc can't be beat. Hope we can get something decent from BlackBerry soon.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-15-16 09:44 AM

My guess is the mid-range Hamburg isn't going to turn any eyes at carrier stores or with most consumers. And a lot of BlackBerry fans of their software (Hub, keyboard) have already installed Cobalt's solution no doubt.

The Rome may not do well either, it'll definitely give an indication of how many PKB diehards are left these days. But my thought is just that it would be better to release that device as soon as possible before even more leave the flock...
    There are some of us for whom Cobalt's fine work doesn't do what we need. I have a Classic and we use Google Apps at work, but with dual factor authentication. That seemed to baffle anything that I tried to do, especially with Google Hangouts.
    I love the PRIV's form factor (had a 9810 slider previously), but just cannot justify the cost involved.
    So, I would heavily consider the Rome (PKB) device, especially if the price winds up as affordable.

It's a bit strange, but I have NO interest in a non-PKB device - I genuinely hate the on-screen keyboards. If BB ever stops making phones I am going to be one confused and frustrated puppy.
    anon(9353145) and Barbareren like this.
    06-15-16 11:49 AM
50 12