07-11-17 09:23 AM
114 ... 345
tools
    Not in the true sense. They are anecdotal reports. Returned devices that the manufacturer sees are evidence.
    So only the manufacturer can provide evidence? I guess we can disband the FCC, NHTSA, FDA, etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-17 10:42 AM
    So only the manufacturer can provide evidence? I guess we can disband the FCC, NHTSA, FDA, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, I didn't say ONLY the manufacturer. Don't put words in my mouth. I merely said hearsay on this forum, YouTube, twitter, etc. Is not evidence.
    06-12-17 11:49 AM
    I know people that have cracked the screens on their Samsung's just by having it in their back pocket. It's not rocket science to see just how that could happen to just about any brand of mobile phone.
    06-12-17 01:43 PM
    Let me know when your screen pops out and exactly how much force it took for that to happen. Unfortunately Jerry's test proves that there is a true engineering flaw with this device and I do hope that TCL addresses the issue soon or BlackBerry s newest phone will be a total flop yet again. I love my new key one but it has already started to come apart after less than a week of normal use and I could not be more disappointed.
    It proves nothing in real world. If anyone did this to any phone in the market today it would void the manufacturer warranty. This includes Apple, LG, Samsung, HTC, TCL, Sony, etc etc. Do you know why it would? Because it's an intentional act to destroy their product. If it's a real world defect they ALL will replace if it's their fault. In this case TCL will replace.
    BTW, people need to stop the comparison of one piece slabs and two piece KEYone. Basic physics 101 will tell you it is easier to intentionally break a two piece anything versus a one piece anything.
    Go return your phone, or get a replacement as that is your right under their warranty. But only TCL can help you not anyone here.

Honestly, if my KEYone came apart I won't complain here as it won't do any good. I will simply just call TCL to get a replacement.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 06-12-17 at 09:29 PM.
    06-12-17 04:38 PM
    I personally have never understood the Jerry Rig tests. The torture that he puts phones through is nowhere applicable in normal daily use. Dropping of the phone or walking around with it in the same pocket with keys would make sense. Running a key or a coin as hard as you can along the phone or applying as much pressure as you can to bend or break it makes no sense whatsoever. Not a viable test IMHO.
    06-12-17 04:50 PM
    I used the pocket as an example. We, as consumers, know nothing in terms of "evidence". We see tweets, CB posts, YouTube videos, etc but none of them constitute credible evidence. Only the manufacturer or warranty contractor is privy to real evidence of defects and malfunction.

This forum is not about evidence. It is about anecdotes. Period. For all we know, all these reports of screens popping out could be fabrications. We use the internet as a guide, nothing more. The CBK video is heavily edited and is coming from a manufacturer sponsored fan site. Now there's tainted evidence if I've ever seen it.
    Your original position was to argue that Jerry's tests were not supposed to be representative of everyday use, but they still had value in helping everyday users. You then used the iPhone bendgate example to support this argument that Jerry's bend test ( I believe the other tests -- except the flame test -- were quite useful) was helpful in some way.

My counter point is that the bend test was NOT relevant in any way to the iPhone bendgate (I don't think Apple recalled those bendy ones did they?) because screens weren't popping off in people's pockets... i.e. there was no evidence of the real life relevancy of Jerry's particular form of bend testing. I still stand by that argument.

"This forum is not about evidence. It is about anecdotes"
    Anecdotes are a very valid form of evidence, we just have to judge the quality. The problem here is people are taking anecdotes and extrapolating them into widespread assumptions without evidence to support that type of extrapolation.

Also we can all ignore everything we read and call it day. Personally, I prefer to use a little judgment and weight the quality of what I'm reading. I consider the photos of popped screens very credible evidence. I consider the photos of screens without glue very credible evidence. I consider CBK's video pretty good evidence. I also accept the handful of posts describing how some of those screens came loose. I recognize that they could be faked or forged, but I consider it unlikely.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-12-17 08:41 PM
    I like jerrys tear downs. But he needs to do drop tests and treat it with more importance than the bend tests before I can take him seriously.

His verdict about the s8 couldn't be further from the truth.
    06-12-17 09:12 PM
    Your original position was to argue that Jerry's tests were not supposed to be representative of everyday use, but they still had value in helping everyday users. You then used the iPhone bendgate example to support this argument that Jerry's bend test ( I believe the other tests -- except the flame test -- were quite useful) was helpful in some way.

My counter point is that the bend test was NOT relevant in any way to the iPhone bendgate (I don't think Apple recalled those bendy ones did they?) because screens weren't popping off in people's pockets... i.e. there was no evidence of the real life relevancy of Jerry's particular form of bend testing. I still stand by that argument.

"This forum is not about evidence. It is about anecdotes"
    Anecdotes are a very valid form of evidence, we just have to judge the quality. The problem here is people are taking anecdotes and extrapolating them into widespread assumptions without evidence to support that type of extrapolation.

Also we can all ignore everything we read and call it day. Personally, I prefer to use a little judgment and weight the quality of what I'm reading. I consider the photos of popped screens very credible evidence. I consider the photos of screens without glue very credible evidence. I consider CBK's video pretty good evidence. I also accept the handful of posts describing how some of those screens came loose. I recognize that they could be faked or forged, but I consider it unlikely.
    I stand corrected. Technically, yes, anecdotes are a form of evidence but the poorest kind. Many internet sources have an agenda (some known, some hidden) and so skew their presentation to fit their narrative. Jerry is a perfect example. He wants eyeballs and so he does extreme torture testing to attract them. Of course it doesn't represent real life any more than professional wrestling but it's great entertainment. Nevertheless, I still think what he does is useful and ultimately pushes the makers to improve build quality. That's something we ALL benefit from.

Btw, the iPhone 6 bend gate was not started by Jerry but by Lou from Unbox Therapy. Apple did not recall them nor did they really admit to a problem. However, I believe they quietly fixed the problem in the 6 and then in the 6S, they used a stronger series of aluminum that was very resistant to bending. Perfect example of how people like Jerry and Lou influence the big boys.
    06-12-17 09:13 PM
    I stand corrected. Technically, yes, anecdotes are a form of evidence but the poorest kind. Many internet sources have an agenda (some known, some hidden) and so skew their presentation to fit their narrative. Jerry is a perfect example. He wants eyeballs and so he does extreme torture testing to attract them. Of course it doesn't represent real life any more than professional wrestling but it's great entertainment. Nevertheless, I still think what he does is useful and ultimately pushes the makers to improve build quality. That's something we ALL benefit from.

Btw, the iPhone 6 bend gate was not started by Jerry but by Lou from Unbox Therapy. Apple did not recall them nor did they really admit to a problem. However, I believe they quietly fixed the problem in the 6 and then in the 6S, they used a stronger series of aluminum that was very resistant to bending. Perfect example of how people like Jerry and Lou influence the big boys.
    We certainly agree that Jerry and his ilk have influence, as we can see with people reading this forum. He created hysteria justified or not (I side with not). Ignoring people who don't pay enough attention to details, his test is very good anecdotal evidence for me because all the details are there for me to see, and judge for myself -- I judged the bend test to be irrelevant, but I judged most of the others to be quite valuable.

As for anecdote, I find that it is far more valuable than most people realize. I have seen far too many examples of people casually dismissing anecdotes that contradict widely held beliefs based on the argument you are using.

Anecdotes are extremely valuable in the sense that they provide the first clues that should lead to a lot more questioning and CAREFUL assessment -- not hair on fire assumptions that we are seeing here.
    06-12-17 09:28 PM
    We certainly agree that Jerry and his ilk have influence, as we can see with people reading this forum. He created hysteria justified or not (I side with not). Ignoring people who don't pay enough attention to details, his test is very good anecdotal evidence for me because all the details are there for me to see, and judge for myself -- I judged the bend test to be irrelevant, but I judged most of the others to be quite valuable.

As for anecdote, I find that it is far more valuable than most people realize. I have seen far too many examples of people casually dismissing anecdotes that contradict widely held beliefs based on the argument you are using.

Anecdotes are extremely valuable in the sense that they provide the first clues that should lead to a lot more questioning and CAREFUL assessment -- not hair on fire assumptions that we are seeing here.
    Hopefully everyone on both sides of the issue are finally calming their teats, lol. It's an issue to be sure with some devices, but not a fundamental design flaw with the device.

As Jerryrig said himself, "it's an easy fix". And kudos to TCL for publicly acknowledging that it's an issue for some devices and stepping up to the plate.

From where I'm standing, both sides have won.
    06-12-17 09:48 PM
    First was the bottom right corner lifting. I noticed the frame seems bent very slightly behind the volume key like it is just to thin of materiel there. And then about two days later the whole screen came free. I was working in a hot environemnt with my phone in my pocket as usual and when I went to check the time noticed the screen is completely loose within the device. I have not dropped or mis handled this phone at all. I really love BlackBerry and the keyboard is a godsend finally but I can't have a broken phone after one week. Lol. I taped the screen on at the corners and it has been good. Opened a warranty claim and we will see what happens.
    06-15-17 12:38 AM
    I am gladTCL is going to look after the broken devices. BlackBerry rules!!! Lol.
    06-15-17 12:39 AM
    Some of us user s who have waited years for this device don't actually have an agenda and just want a good phone with a keyboard. Why is it that ev erything must be a conspiracy theory? Sometime people make mistakes and so far TCL is stating they made a mistake and are going to fix it. I am hopefull this will be the case. I am a regular user who has a dislodge screen after a week with no abuse. It's unfortunate but true. Please don't skew the truth with your disbelief. Do you own a key one at this time?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-15-17 12:43 AM
    I have been in contact with Blackberry customer service and they have given me a ticket number. But they have yet to let me know what is going to be done about my brand new dislocated phone screen.

It started with the bottom right corner and within a day the entire screen has popped out and there is a very slight bend in the frame right behind the volume buttons. I have been far more gentle with this phone than i have been with any other in the past. Currently i have a small amount of tape on each corner of the screen and as long as the tape is on the screen stays in fine. I do hope to hear back from TCL soon with a replacement plan.
    07-11-17 09:23 AM
114 ... 345