First of all I want to say that I am a fan of JerryRigEverything's channel, I think he is amazing, and I've learned a ton of cool stuff out of his tear down videos. Secondly this is my opinion as a Mechanical Engineer.

What Jerry calls a 'bend test' does not have any fundamentals regarding a part with induced fractures, meaning for the analogy this is several parts put together whereas a slab phone is one part with a stress applied along its length.

I don't believe BlackBerry has anything to fix about this "issue". It's just pretty expected that if you apply that kind of stress where two separate parts have been joined they will fall apart. Furthermore, that's a very unlikely situation to happen in real life. I think Jerry should avoid that specific test in any phone built similarly as the KEYone, and instead do drop tests, that resemble what could actually happen to a phone in daily usage.

Lastly, you can't even compare that kind of stress (flexion) in a part that has a welded joint to the same part that doesn't have it, and here we are talking about one of the toughest joints a part can have.

My conclusion: Jerry's 'bend test' makes no sense whatsoever in the KEYone in particular, the situation is very unlikely to happen in daily usage, and no user should be concerned about the result of test.

P.S. My KEYone arrived a few days ago, and I am loving it!!!

Posted via CB10
    I would like to give another Engineer's point of view.

These tests slash videos are entertaining, nothing more or less. While you can glean some valuable info, it is really more for the shock value. But let's take a real look after the shock and awe.

First we find that the phone will stand up very well to pocket abuse. Scratches should be at a minimum.

Bending should be at a minimum with very little at all. Does the phone need more adhesives....maybe yes, I lean more to the yes group.

The real issues for me come down to call quality, as I have experienced first hand the phone has real issues. This should be the concern not eldistructo videos.

Another big concern is where is the advertising..............
    06-11-17 07:04 PM
    OP's point would be more valid were it not for the other reports of screens coming off with drops and much less stress than what the video showed.
    06-11-17 07:11 PM
    Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't you bail on waiting for the Keyone about a month and a half ago, and bought an S8 or something? If my memory is correct, why in heaven's name would you care? Love my KEYone and have zero worries. You?
    06-11-17 09:40 PM
    Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't you bail on waiting for the Keyone about a month and a half ago, and bought an S8 or something? If my memory is correct, why in heaven's name would you care? Love my KEYone and have zero worries. You?
    Yes I did, got a G6 and don't regret it but I can't say I don't miss the keyboard. It's like rehab where you know it's better without being addicted to the keyboard.

I care because I was one of those who was in love and waiting for this and I want to see how it's doing. I also own a few thousand shares of BBRY and get news updates with my stock portfolio.

Anything bad about that?

Perhaps you can address my point that it's not just bending that makes the screen come loose, so the JerryRig test is not really nonsense.
    06-11-17 10:47 PM
    How many exactly of reported verified screen pop outs are there?
    Let's not pull numbers out of our a--s
    If you say a number then reference each one. don't say "I heard" or "some guy here" or I thought I read it somewhere".
    Reality is we are talking about 1-3 cases of screen pop out. I have only seen one proven by poster The Q
    See, this thread proves my point quoted above. We still can't verify more than 1-3. A tweet and from The Q. I'm sure there may be a few more and not saying it isn't a concern but TCL will provide brand new replacement.
    Regardless, just a small few verified the rest is speculation and rumour.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 06-11-17 at 11:08 PM.
    06-11-17 10:57 PM
    Yes I did, got a G6 and don't regret it but I can't say I don't miss the keyboard. It's like rehab where you know it's better without being addicted to the keyboard.

I care because I was one of those who was in love and waiting for this and I want to see how it's doing. I also own a few thousand shares of BBRY and get news updates with my stock portfolio.

Anything bad about that?

Perhaps you can address my point that it's not just bending that makes the screen come loose, so the JerryRig test is not really nonsense.
    The video is nonsense and you are just justifying your decision to buy a G6 and not a KEYone.
    I am also a few thousand share holder but the hardware no longer has any effect on their stock price and you should know that. It was priced out long ago.
    I just actually like the KEYone a lot and my wife whom uses it a ton, has dropped it twice on tile and has had zero issues with it. Great device all around.
    Way too many risk adverse chaps on this site. That's what warranties are for!
    Be brave people, take a chance for once in your life on a phone and go get a KEYone since it has a 100% manufactured warranty on it.
    It is like saying you will never fly again on a well known and favourite airline because you heard on the news a plane crashed. We all know you eventually will again. :-).
    06-11-17 11:06 PM
    The video is nonsense and you are just justifying your decision to buy a G6 and not a KEYone.
    I also bought a G6. It's pretty great.

Guess what? The G6 passed all of us tests, is it nonsense then?

At least LG uses a little bit of glue on the screen.

I think you're just trying to justify your decision to buy a Keyone.

The bottom line is that either the design sucks, the build quality sucks, or the manufacturing sucks. And it definitely doesn't have any glue.

You should be right on TCLs toes about giving you a product you can be proud of, not "well, if you bend it like that, of course it will break".

Except other devices don't. Including the iPhone and the S8 that shattered I'm CBKs tests.

They might have broken some glass, but kept functioning.

They did not bend in half and stop working.
    06-11-17 11:41 PM
    Yeah. I give that video a 0 in terms of influencing me. A 10 on a scale of 10 for needlessly inflaming folks for the sake of clicks and ad dollars.

If I buy a phone I expect it has a warranty. If I have a problem I will use the warranty. I don't care about all the scenarios that could happen. Let's see. A bear is mauling me and stomps on the phone too. Will the screen come Off? I need to know!!!
    06-12-17 12:31 AM
    I also bought a G6. It's pretty great.

Guess what? The G6 passed all of us tests, is it nonsense then?

At least LG uses a little bit of glue on the screen.

I think you're just trying to justify your decision to buy a Keyone.

The bottom line is that either the design sucks, the build quality sucks, or the manufacturing sucks. And it definitely doesn't have any glue.

You should be right on TCLs toes about giving you a product you can be proud of, not "well, if you bend it like that, of course it will break".

Except other devices don't. Including the iPhone and the S8 that shattered I'm CBKs tests.

They might have broken some glass, but kept functioning.

They did not bend in half and stop working.
    Congrats on the LG G6.

From the TCL Statement on Screen Lift / Pop Issue: "Our teams are actively examining additional adhesive measures that might further strengthen and eliminate any possibility of display separation occurring." But I guess they must be lying...

What real world KeyONE device actually bent at all? Not talking about Jerryrig and CBK deliberately trying to bend it, talking real world. I see screen lift pics, and two where the display completely separated. Oddly, haven't seen any cracked screens yet, though if they do decide to superglue the display on future product runs, I imagine that'll be a more likely possibility.
    06-12-17 12:40 AM
    All phones have issues and if they're backed by warranty, then it's a non issue. BlackBerry has already stated that they will look after such problems.

Do a quick Google search and you'll find issues with G6, S8 and iPhone. What Jerry did was to help BlackBerry fix any potential problems. The phone has got amazing reviews.

Good luck to those who chose to pick another phone based on Jerry's assessment.
    06-12-17 12:40 AM
    All phones have issues and if they're backed by warranty, then it's a non issue. BlackBerry has already stated that they will look after such problems.

Do a quick Google search and you'll find issues with G6, S8 and iPhone. What Jerry did was to help BlackBerry fix any potential problems. The phone has got amazing reviews.

Good luck to those who chose to pick another phone based on Jerry's assessment.
    Just watched Jerryrig's iPhone 7 test. It didn't bend (unlike the iPhone 6, 6S) which is great! But he did manage to separate it briefly exposing the water resistant adhesive (or caulking, whatever). His bottom line: he still doesn't recommend you sit on it! Good advice for everyone I'd say.
    06-12-17 12:49 AM
    The best solution to not sitting on a smartphone is to eliminate any habit formed out of a desire to tote expensive electronics in a place that makes eventually sitting on it inevitable.

The back pocket is no place for any smartphone. I even approach using my front pockets with reluctance.
    06-12-17 01:04 AM
    yeah, good to hear BBMobile admitted the issue and they are taking the steps to improve. let's see what the improved version of KeyOne will be. hopefully it won't end up like the Note7 *fingers crossed*.
    06-12-17 02:39 AM
    True, but people always like to watch things get destroyed. Then there's those just waiting for an excuse to make another alarmist post, and those who are always worried about what might go wrong with their phone.
    True.

Then there are those who like to watch products get destroyed, as long as it's not their product of choice.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if the KO passed all the stress tests. Everyone here would be praising the video as the best thing ever.
    Alain_A and jmr1015 like this.
    06-12-17 02:52 AM
    I find it odd that all these keyone owners are dropping their phones all over the place and nothing happened to it. Never read so much about a phone being dropped so much. Just an observation.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-12-17 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Add info
    donnation likes this.
    06-12-17 05:56 AM
    Let me know when your screen pops out and exactly how much force it took for that to happen. Unfortunately Jerry's test proves that there is a true engineering flaw with this device and I do hope that TCL addresses the issue soon or BlackBerry s newest phone will be a total flop yet again. I love my new key one but it has already started to come apart after less than a week of normal use and I could not be more disappointed.
    06-12-17 06:29 AM
    I find it odd that all these keyone owners are dropping their phones all over the place. Never read so much about a phone being dropped so much. Just an observation.
    Ah the conspiracy theory! It was Samsung on the grassy knoll.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-12-17 06:33 AM
    I should add dropping them and no issue.
    06-12-17 06:35 AM
    "Watch what happens to the screen when she tries to take the phone out of the case. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left."
    06-12-17 06:37 AM
    Let me know when your screen pops out and exactly how much force it took for that to happen. Unfortunately Jerry's test proves that there is a true engineering flaw with this device and I do hope that TCL addresses the issue soon or BlackBerry s newest phone will be a total flop yet again. I love my new key one but it has already started to come apart after less than a week of normal use and I could not be more disappointed.
    It suppose to get replaced
    Can you describe what is falling apart?
    I suppose you are talking about the screen. Which corner?
    06-12-17 06:41 AM
    I find it odd that all these keyone owners are dropping their phones all over the place and nothing happened to it. Never read so much about a phone being dropped so much. Just an observation.
    To be fair, dropping your phone and nothing happening is not usually considered newsworthy on this forum.
    06-12-17 07:26 AM
    To be fair, dropping your phone and nothing happening is not usually considered newsworthy on this forum.
    Unless it's a keyone lol. I've seen people post stories about dropping their phone and how their heart jumped but lucky that it only had a dent.

But, you have a point.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-12-17 07:28 AM
    Is it? Or perhaps it is because it doesn't have a pocket screen popping problem. Have you heard of a single case of a screen popping out in someone's pocket? Your assumption is not based on a single shred of evidence.
    I used the pocket as an example. We, as consumers, know nothing in terms of "evidence". We see tweets, CB posts, YouTube videos, etc but none of them constitute credible evidence. Only the manufacturer or warranty contractor is privy to real evidence of defects and malfunction.

This forum is not about evidence. It is about anecdotes. Period. For all we know, all these reports of screens popping out could be fabrications. We use the internet as a guide, nothing more. The CBK video is heavily edited and is coming from a manufacturer sponsored fan site. Now there's tainted evidence if I've ever seen it.
    06-12-17 09:22 AM
    I used the pocket as an example. We, as consumers, know nothing in terms of "evidence". We see tweets, CB posts, YouTube videos, etc but none of them constitute credible evidence. Only the manufacturer or warranty contractor is privy to real evidence of defects and malfunction.

This forum is not about evidence. It is about anecdotes. Period. For all we know, all these reports of screens popping out could be fabrications. We use the internet as a guide, nothing more. The CBK video is heavily edited and is coming from a manufacturer sponsored fan site. Now there's tainted evidence if I've ever seen it.
    I guess all those videos, pictures, posts, etc. of burned Samsung phones do not constitute evidence then?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-12-17 09:31 AM
    I guess all those videos, pictures, posts, etc. of burned Samsung phones do not constitute evidence then?

Posted via CB10
    Not in the true sense. They are anecdotal reports. Returned devices that the manufacturer sees are evidence.
    06-12-17 09:35 AM
114 ... 2345