First of all I want to say that I am a fan of JerryRigEverything's channel, I think he is amazing, and I've learned a ton of cool stuff out of his tear down videos. Secondly this is my opinion as a Mechanical Engineer.

What Jerry calls a 'bend test' does not have any fundamentals regarding a part with induced fractures, meaning for the analogy this is several parts put together whereas a slab phone is one part with a stress applied along its length.

I don't believe BlackBerry has anything to fix about this "issue". It's just pretty expected that if you apply that kind of stress where two separate parts have been joined they will fall apart. Furthermore, that's a very unlikely situation to happen in real life. I think Jerry should avoid that specific test in any phone built similarly as the KEYone, and instead do drop tests, that resemble what could actually happen to a phone in daily usage.

Lastly, you can't even compare that kind of stress (flexion) in a part that has a welded joint to the same part that doesn't have it, and here we are talking about one of the toughest joints a part can have.

My conclusion: Jerry's 'bend test' makes no sense whatsoever in the KEYone in particular, the situation is very unlikely to happen in daily usage, and no user should be concerned about the result of test.

P.S. My KEYone arrived a few days ago, and I am loving it!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-17 11:05 PM
    True, but people always like to watch things get destroyed. Then there's those just waiting for an excuse to make another alarmist post, and those who are always worried about what might go wrong with their phone.
    PDAJAH and aseeralmadi like this.
    06-10-17 11:17 PM
    I can see worrying about when you sit with it in your back pocket. But he does go to the extreme.

Hes testing i feel is to see what the phone is made off. It may be a good thing, perhaps this ordeal will work in our favor and with them reinforcing the structure. Even after apples bendgate they went with a higher strength steel. In the end its great for consumers.
    06-10-17 11:40 PM
    a sensible conclusion at last.
    FF22 and deuce2290 like this.
    06-10-17 11:41 PM
    Ok. So why doesn't it have any glue. You're missing the point. It's not about the bending, the burning, or the scratching. Which many other phones passed, and the Keyone was doing well on.

It's about discovering failure points. Like the lack of glue.

It speaks to cheap manufacturing.

But whatever, apparently people are happy with a screen popping off being a feature, not a bug.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    06-11-17 12:01 AM
    That's true the middle of the phone is where the screen ends so makes sense for the screen to pop out when bending it with that force.
    06-11-17 12:03 AM
    In all honesty, out of all of the phones he has bent, none actually had issues in the real world with the bend.

Yes it's all for entertainment and without those videos, he won't make the money he's making.

Either ways, he's very entertaining but I don't take it seriously. He has some good information around scratching and lens testing (which KEYᵒⁿᵉ passed) but bend test and flame test are just unreal IMO
    06-11-17 12:07 AM
    Has nothing to do with the test to me, it is that he stated there is no adhesive. CBK claims it does, that is the only issue, not the bending.
    06-11-17 12:09 AM
    First of all I want to say that I am a fan of JerryRigEverything's channel, I think he is amazing, and I've learned a ton of cool stuff out of his tear down videos. Secondly this is my opinion as a Mechanical Engineer.

What Jerry calls a 'bend test' does not have any fundamentals regarding a part with induced fractures, meaning for the analogy this is several parts put together whereas a slab phone is one part with a stress applied along its length.

I don't believe BlackBerry has anything to fix about this "issue". It's just pretty expected that if you apply that kind of stress where two separate parts have been joined they will fall apart. Furthermore, that's a very unlikely situation to happen in real life. I think Jerry should avoid that specific test in any phone built similarly as the KEYone, and instead do drop tests, that resemble what could actually happen to a phone in daily usage.

Lastly, you can't even compare that kind of stress (flexion) in a part that has a welded joint to the same part that doesn't have it, and here we are talking about one of the toughest joints a part can have.

My conclusion: Jerry's 'bend test' makes no sense whatsoever in the KEYone in particular, the situation is very unlikely to happen in daily usage, and no user should be concerned about the result of test.

Posted via CB10
    Finally an actual professional speaking to this. Actually, I don't think you have to be a professional to see the obvious of bending any object built with two pieces versus one.
    This was not real world and all his tests on it were ridiculous.
    Now that TCL has come out and said they will replace any of the very few that have had the issue I think it's time for many here to stop being so paranoid.
    aseeralmadi likes this.
    06-11-17 12:26 AM
    Has nothing to do with the test to me, it is that he stated there is no adhesive. CBK claims it does, that is the only issue, not the bending.
    So you believe whom then? A YouTube guy that loves to destroy phones for no reason? How about you look at video in slo-mo again. Kevin is right.
    06-11-17 12:28 AM
    So you believe whom then? A YouTube guy that loves to destroy phones for no reason? How about you look at video in slo-mo again. Kevin is right.
    To be honest I don't really care, my phones seem fine and TCL says they will cover under warranty if it does happen, good enough for me. Youtube guy has no reason to lie, and CBK could be using phones from a different batch, they could both be right. But not an issue anymore as it should be covered if something did happen.
    06-11-17 12:38 AM
    True, but people always like to watch things get destroyed.
    Not me. Instead of breaking any phone he could offer them to charity if he has money and time to waste.

I won't be politically correct (I'm never anyway).
    I don't worship this guy. Never had and never will.

I find it particularly useless and violent and never liked any of his videos nor his concept although i can see why he does it.

And i'm not even talking on the eventual influence it may have on teens like jackass videos. "har har cool let's break expensive things."
    06-11-17 12:41 AM
    Although I'm equally unclear why people would give so much credibility to statements from a guy directly on the TCL payroll?
    06-11-17 12:56 AM
    Although I'm equally unclear why people would give so much credibility to statements from a guy directly on the TCL payroll?
    Confirmation bias?
    06-11-17 12:57 AM
    I don't think that users have different durability criteria for slab vs multi-component smartphones.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    06-11-17 01:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you meant with a slab phone being one part. However any phone is made from parts and given enough stress something will pop out or break.
    Yes, I agree that no one is going to bake his or her phone or put it in the fish tank or try sanding the screen. Nevertheless, these are the kind of tests which turn claims such as 'tough built' or 'built like a tank' or similar into visual proven facts and not just claims anymore for many - this does not only apply for the KEYone. Here if anybody asks me what has TLC claimed about the built quality of KEYone, the simple answer is I don't know and just never bother about it.
    This kind of tests tell people the level of risk they could take with their phones, of if it is OK to put the phones in the back pocket of their tight jeans and sit down with them there. If everyone remembered enough of their high school physics, this Jerry guy might not be so popular. But this is not the case and there are people like the woman who believed an old Casio was the new iWatch.
    Anyway, Jerry's bend test would make sense and comparable in real life for at least the tight jeans scenario.

BTW, I was at a kind of party and after two bottle of Henessy, five of the guys decided to bet on whose phone would last longer in the steam boat. There were iPhone, Sammy, and Sonny. The result was them five went back to using the small Nokia 1100 or similar for the next couples of days, and could not know who were calling them. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-17 01:58 AM
    You are missing the point here. The thing is that the screen has come out easily for Some users after a not-so-hard drop or things like that. And TCL is looking at that so probably they recon there is a problem With the way they stick the screen to the phone. At least Some phones have that problem. Or maybe all under certains circunstances like high or low temperatures that May affect the glue. So I think it's Good to take a look at it.

Posted via CB10
    mister2d likes this.
    06-11-17 04:29 AM
    The point of Jerry's tests is not to simulate real life situations. The extreme testing is meant to uncover the build quality of devices.

When the iPhone 6 was so easily bent after its release, Apple then used a stronger aluminum for the 6S which did not bend nearly as easily. Tests like these actually force the phone makers to raise the bar for device durability.

As far as the contention that the phone is built from 2 parts goes, that is irrelevant. People will still put it in their back pocket just as they would with a full slab. In fact, given its design, the phone should have more reinforcement to ensure durability.

While these extreme tests shouldn't solely determine which phone you buy, they certainly have a place in the decision making process.
    werkregen likes this.
    06-11-17 05:12 AM
    I wonder if the one he bent, will be replaced.
    06-11-17 05:31 AM
    Finally an actual professional speaking to this. Actually, I don't think you have to be a professional to see the obvious of bending any object built with two pieces versus one.
    This was not real world and all his tests on it were ridiculous.
    Now that TCL has come out and said they will replace any of the very few that have had the issue I think it's time for many here to stop being so paranoid.
    Well said ! Totally agreed!
    aseeralmadi likes this.
    06-11-17 05:42 AM
    So there is no problem but TCL is taking steps to strengthen the design - makes perfect sense.
    kbz1960 and donnation like this.
    06-11-17 06:00 AM
    Some are really getting bent out of shape over this lol.
    FF22, RoseBud68, pkcable and 2 others like this.
    06-11-17 06:18 AM
    The point of Jerry's tests is not to simulate real life situations. The extreme testing is meant to uncover the build quality of devices.

When the iPhone 6 was so easily bent after its release, Apple then used a stronger aluminum for the 6S which did not bend nearly as easily. Tests like these actually force the phone makers to raise the bar for device durability.

As far as the contention that the phone is built from 2 parts goes, that is irrelevant. People will still put it in their back pocket just as they would with a full slab. In fact, given its design, the phone should have more reinforcement to ensure durability.

While these extreme tests shouldn't solely determine which phone you buy, they certainly have a place in the decision making process.
    Big difference. The iPhones were bending in people's pockets. I haven't heard of a single case of K1 popping a screen in someone's pocket yet.
    06-11-17 08:00 AM
    Ok. So why doesn't it have any glue. You're missing the point. It's not about the bending, the burning, or the scratching. Which many other phones passed, and the Keyone was doing well on.

It's about discovering failure points. Like the lack of glue.

It speaks to cheap manufacturing.

But whatever, apparently people are happy with a screen popping off being a feature, not a bug.
    It does have glue, just along the edges.
    06-11-17 08:03 AM
    Big difference. The iPhones were bending in people's pockets. I haven't heard of a single case of K1 popping a screen in someone's pocket yet.
    Lol. That's because the number of K1s currently in people's hands is a minuscule fraction of the number of iPhone 6 sold at launch.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    06-11-17 08:05 AM
114 123 ...