I'd like to make one thing very clear I do not know the technical side of things so my question might be extremely silly.
    But wouldn't using the same processor for the mercury help them achieve a lower cost? Yes the DTEK60 is being manufactured by TCL so can't they have them manufacture the basic framework for the mercury? Since they do add their keys to the processor? Also while it's speculation but mercury is expected in the same price range as the DTEK60 I guess?
    It would also help their OS update cycle I assume? (lesser efforts)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 01:11 PM
    I'm guessing that the Mercury is supposed to be a lower-rung fleet device while the DTEK60 (if the bloody thing ever comes out) would be the flagship. Kind of like positioning the Classic vs the Passport.
    10-17-16 01:24 PM
    I'd like to make one thing very clear I do not know the technical side of things so my question might be extremely silly.
    But wouldn't using the same processor for the mercury help them achieve a lower cost? Yes the DTEK60 is being manufactured by TCL so can't they have them manufacture the basic framework for the mercury? Since they do add their keys to the processor? Also while it's speculation but mercury is expected in the same price range as the DTEK60 I guess?
    It would also help their OS update cycle I assume? (lesser efforts)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Good question...

But I think the answer is how the Mercury would be made.... IF IT IS EVER MADE. Is BlackBerry will have to go to some 3rd party and work with them to have the Mercury built. Where as with TCL they just picked out a already planned device and said I'd like that in "Black".

As for the KEYS, Chen kinda hinted at the conference call that those are standard encryption keys that Qualcomm already injects into the processors. Maybe there is something special in the hardware, more likely it's all just software. Which means it really doesn't matter about the chipsets. And pretty much the same for the OS update cycle... not going to make much difference with just four hardware sets.

As for the price.... I think $500 should be the target, just not sure if such a small production run of a very custom hardware set... it that is possible.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-16 01:24 PM
    I'm guessing that the Mercury is supposed to be a lower-rung fleet device while the DTEK60 (if the bloody thing ever comes out) would be the flagship. Kind of like positioning the Classic vs the Passport.
    Exactly. Should be glad it doesn't come with an S4 Pro to keep costs down. After all they don't need to write drivers for the 625.
    10-17-16 05:45 PM
    BB isnt in charge of buying the chips or anything else for the DTEK60, TCL is. BUT I am pretty sure that the Mercury is the last in house device and BB will be in charge of the stock and such.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-16 05:50 PM
    This phone has the same specs as the Moto Z Play and that phone runs like a dream, you can't tell that's it has a lower chip in it and it is a battery kind, never dies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    10-17-16 05:55 PM
    This phone has the same specs as the Moto Z Play and that phone runs like a dream, you can't tell that's it has a lower chip in it and it is a battery kind, never dies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The AC review of the Moto Z says the same. Difference between 625 and 820 won't notice a difference unless you're hardcore gaming.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    10-17-16 06:04 PM
    They think that PKB users don't really exists, so they throw us the scraps.

Posted via Firefox on PC
    10-17-16 07:04 PM
    They think that PKB users don't really exists, so they throw us the scraps.

Posted via Firefox on PC
    Except here I think it's more of a design decision. Based on what I'm reading so far, 625 is actually a much efficient SoC with decent performance and good battery life.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    10-17-16 07:06 PM
    But if they can put the 820 without pushing up the costs, shouldn't they use the 820 instead of the 625?
    Plus I think the price is going to be almost the same unlike the $150 difference in the Classic and the Passport

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:26 PM
    Good question...

But I think the answer is how the Mercury would be made.... IF IT IS EVER MADE. Is BlackBerry will have to go to some 3rd party and work with them to have the Mercury built. Where as with TCL they just picked out a already planned device and said I'd like that in "Black".

As for the KEYS, Chen kinda hinted at the conference call that those are standard encryption keys that Qualcomm already injects into the processors. Maybe there is something special in the hardware, more likely it's all just software. Which means it really doesn't matter about the chipsets. And pretty much the same for the OS update cycle... not going to make much difference with just four hardware sets.

As for the price.... I think $500 should be the target, just not sure if such a small production run of a very custom hardware set... it that is possible.
    So exactly why can't they buy the basic framework of the processor and RAM from TCL as well for the mercury?
    And as you say the security is just software, more the reason to buy it from TCL!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:28 PM
    BB isnt in charge of buying the chips or anything else for the DTEK60, TCL is. BUT I am pretty sure that the Mercury is the last in house device and BB will be in charge of the stock and such.
    But BlackBerry could buy the basic chipset framework from TCL? And TCL wouldn't mind right since it's going to be the same as a phone they are already manufacturing?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:29 PM
    But if they can put the 820 without pushing up the costs, shouldn't they use the 820 instead of the 625?
    Plus I think the price is going to be almost the same unlike the $150 difference in the Classic and the Passport

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    What makes you so sure moving from the 625 to the 820 can be done without any costs?
    10-17-16 09:32 PM
    The AC review of the Moto Z says the same. Difference between 625 and 820 won't notice a difference unless you're hardcore gaming.
    I am not really worried about the performance side of things
    820 is considered flagship and the 625 isn't
    I believe instead of buying the 625 themselves, it would cost them the same to buy 820 structure of the DTEK60 from TCL.
    So if you can get the flagship processor at the same price it's better to go for that. Will help in marketing?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:33 PM
    Except here I think it's more of a design decision. Based on what I'm reading so far, 625 is actually a much efficient SoC with decent performance and good battery life.
    Is it more efficient and battery friendly than the 820?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:34 PM
    What makes you so sure moving from the 625 to the 820 can be done without any costs?
    Please do correct me if I am wrong, that's the whole point of the post
    But wouldn't it be cheaper for them to buy the 820 framework used in the DTEK60 from TCL than buy the 625 themselves?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:35 PM
    Please do correct me if I am wrong, that's the whole point of the post
    But wouldn't it be cheaper for them to buy the 820 framework used in the DTEK60 from TCL than buy the 625 themselves?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    The 820 is more expensive than the 625, seeing as how it's Qualcomm's flagship. Either Alcatel would sell to BlackBerry at a loss (why?), or BlackBerry buys the cheaper option.

And what makes you think the Mercury is in-house, for that matter?
    10-17-16 09:39 PM
    The 820 is more expensive than the 625, seeing as how it's Qualcomm's flagship. Either Alcatel would sell to BlackBerry at a loss (why?), or BlackBerry buys the cheaper option.

And what makes you think the Mercury is in-house, for that matter?
    I felt economies of scale (since TCL is using the 820 framework on the TCL 950 and the DTEK60) of using the 820 would almost put it on the same price with the 625 for just one phone
    Ofcourse I absolutely accept I could be wrong
    I merely want to know how things work in this regard

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-17-16 09:53 PM
    Look at it like this

TCL goes to Qualcomm and says we need 12 million 820s please. Qualcomm says sure, $35 each please. Remember they have several phones they are using this for not just the DTEK60

BB goes to Qualcomm and says we need 750k 820s please. Qualcomm says sure, $55 please. BB only needs 1 phone and its not going to sell in massive quantities.

BB says that is far to high cost. Remember again, they only have 1 phone so every part is going to cost a good bit more. So they say ask QC for a cheaper option. QC says sure we have the 626 which has 75% of the performance for $27. BB is like yes please we will take them!

Not saying any of that is factual but that is the type of problems BB has.

This also assumes that BB is still doing design and manufacture like the PRIV and doesnt farm out it a company like TCL for the manufacturing.
    JeepBB and Plazmic Flame like this.
    10-18-16 04:36 AM
    Look at it like this

TCL goes to Qualcomm and says we need 12 million 820s please. Qualcomm says sure, $35 each please. Remember they have several phones they are using this for not just the DTEK60

BB goes to Qualcomm and says we need 750k 820s please. Qualcomm says sure, $55 please. BB only needs 1 phone and its not going to sell in massive quantities.

BB says that is far to high cost. Remember again, they only have 1 phone so every part is going to cost a good bit more. So they say ask QC for a cheaper option. QC says sure we have the 626 which has 75% of the performance for $27. BB is like yes please we will take them!

Not saying any of that is factual but that is the type of problems BB has.

This also assumes that BB is still doing design and manufacture like the PRIV and doesnt farm out it a company like TCL for the manufacturing.
    So exactly my point why not take the 820s from TCL even if they are manufacturing themselves since they are already using it a phone of theirs (the DTEK60)!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-18-16 04:39 AM
    So exactly my point why not take the 820s from TCL even if they are manufacturing themselves since they are already using it a phone of theirs (the DTEK60)!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    You're making it sound like TCL will just sell it to BlackBerry at cost.
    10-18-16 06:12 AM
    You're making it sound like TCL will just sell it to BlackBerry at cost.
    Even at some kind of profit it will be almost the same as BlackBerry buying the 625s separately
    Plus they just might sell at cost because of their partnership (wishful thinking)
    It might help TCL get a better deal as well since they will be by buying more

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-18-16 06:15 AM
    Even at some kind of profit it will be almost the same as BlackBerry buying the 625s separately
    Plus they just might sell at cost because of their partnership (wishful thinking)
    It might help TCL get a better deal as well since they will be by buying more

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    TCL is not in the parts supply business.

BlackBerry needs to buy through proper channels, as they require product support too.
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    10-18-16 06:43 AM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I don't know why you're so obsessed over the bigger numbers. Even if they cost the same, if you get better battery life with the 625, the they should put the 625...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    10-18-16 06:55 AM
    I don't know why you're so obsessed over the bigger numbers. Even if they cost the same, if you get better battery life with the 625, the they should put the 625...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Don't think the 820 is that battery adverse
    Frankly I am not really a specs person
    But they matter in android
    And also I want this phone to do well, better specs might help it to sell better

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-18-16 07:01 AM
66 123