Ok.. so yesterday I accidentally wrecked my BB Z10 and now have to temporarily use an Android phone. I can honestly say I literally get a headache using the damn phone. Its soooo unproductive (maybe Im just used to BB 10) and the typing experience is really bad.

Now I have doubts getting the BB KEYone as the OS itself is bad. It was like driving a Lambo then have to settle for a Corolla.

The only thing I like about the Android OS is the fact that apps are actually kept updated.

Am I the only one that feels this way or was I just spoiled by BB10?
    10-01-17 11:40 AM
    it's a hard stretch to rank BlackBerry as #1 when the went on rapidly from a major seller of phones with a slick BB10 and innovative ART to dead last under the TCL name known widely for low end devices and Walmart burners... I wonder how that merits a gold star, frankly. oh yeah, bb10 is dead.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    10-01-17 11:46 AM
    you are just used to bb10. Android can run laps around bb10 in most all things. If you took some time to actually get used the phone i am sure you would be just as productive
    10-01-17 11:48 AM
    you are just used to bb10. Android can run laps around bb10 in most all things. If you took some time to actually get used the phone i am sure you would be just as productive
    I really doubt it.. The hub itself on the BB10 is a powerhouse and I dont see how I can be more productive using the Android notification system. The Gesture features on BB10 is unmatched. I will still try the KEYone before fully judging but I dont see how you can be faster on an Android tbh
    10-01-17 11:56 AM
    The hub itself on the BB10 is a powerhouse and I dont see how I can be more productive using the Android notification system.
    No, you should be using the BlackBerry Hub on Android, and supplement it with notifications.

The Gesture features on BB10 is unmatched.
    There are apps that offer gestures on Android. Some are quite productive. It's not BB10 gestures however, but while a handy way to navigate, the native android methods, along with KEYᵒⁿᵉ keyboard shortcuts, offers just as much speed once learned.

it's a hard stretch to rank BlackBerry as #1 when the went on rapidly from a major seller of phones with a slick BB10 and innovative ART to dead last under the TCL name
    The hard stretch is your revisionist history.
    cmykink likes this.
    10-01-17 12:09 PM
    Based on my experience so far with the KEYone, no, the Android OS is definitely not as fluid as bb10. You'll slowly start getting used to it, though, and the fact that apps just work is a very nice change.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-01-17 12:21 PM
    hstory is in the eyes of the beholder... I use BlackBerry keyborded devices from Passport to Priv to KEYᵒⁿᵉ now and my disappointment grows in some undeniable respects. The TCL growing pains are, speaking as a customer, painful.

Sent from my STV100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-01-17 12:22 PM
    hstory is in the eyes of the beholder... I use BlackBerry keyborded devices from Passport to Priv to KEYᵒⁿᵉ Now and the disappointment grows in some undeniable respects. The TCL growing pains are, as a customer, painful.

Sent from my STV100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    Statistics are hard to ignore, regardless who's eyes are viewing.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-01-17 12:25 PM
    thank you for that reference... which part of the 39 entries (with special reference to the last page of data entries #27-39) ending in 2016 augers for what the OP calls #1 ?
    10-01-17 12:39 PM
    further, i loved bb10 on the passport, but it's dead as a doornail. the priv (on which i type this while the KEYᵒⁿᵉ charges) is a pleasant feeling Hardware with android (it is what it is) with some design errors. the KEYᵒⁿᵉ seeks to address the PKB market, and does so with a lesser screen, IMHO a lesser (yes) PKB, and less loveable doodads (no QI, for instance). it does, however prove a phone with a faster processor is faster, duh! I think, personally, I. would gladly give up the KEYᵒⁿᵉ to get a Priv with faster processor, better heath management, and upgrade of Android as it's simply a better phone.
    10-01-17 12:48 PM
    Ok.. so yesterday I accidentally wrecked my BB Z10 and now have to temporarily use an Android phone. I can honestly say I literally get a headache using the damn phone. Its soooo unproductive (maybe Im just used to BB 10) and the typing experience is really bad.

Now I have doubts getting the BB KEYone as the OS itself is bad. It was like driving a Lambo then have to settle for a Corolla.

The only thing I like about the Android OS is the fact that apps are actually kept updated.

Am I the only one that feels this way or was I just spoiled by BB10?
    You won't get many votes here on this site as it is peopled with BlackBerry aficionados, diehards, fanboys... it's not a place of balanced viewpints.
    10-01-17 12:50 PM
    thank you for that reference... which part of the 39 entries (with special reference to the last page of data entries #27-39) ending in 2016 augers for what the OP calls #1 ?
    You said:

major seller of phones with a slick BB10 and innovative ART to dead last under the TCL name
    They were not a major seller of phones with BB10, and in reality, by it's introduction in '13 held a negligible amount of the global market.

10-01-17 12:56 PM
    yes, but did hold on from the glory days when BlackBerry was all over the place... I have several years of BlackBerry use from Passport launch to the present, and I have never seen another BlackBerry phone held by a human hand in a populous area of the USA as well as a densely populated EU nation... it is not ubiquitous
    Last edited by furieux; 10-01-17 at 01:30 PM.
    10-01-17 01:02 PM
    You said:

They were not a major seller of phones with BB10, and in reality, by it's introduction in '13 held a negligible amount of the global market.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/wp-...ales_Share.png
    I pine for intelligent things gone from the earth... early on there was compuserve that maintained a huge trove of useful information & it was trashed deleting hundreds of thousands of pages of information... then came palm which evolved into webOS which was a very mature platform bought out by HP and trashed now found on some home appliances... then there was bbOS evolved into bb10 and trashed the bones found in car dashboards... millions of man hours down the drain, imho
    duncan86 likes this.
    10-01-17 01:22 PM
    question, does BB droid counts as droid? if it is, that rim line drop to zero should be around 3 years ago. (I am assume they don't count resale... only the new devices? or actively used phone OS? how they determine that? based on carrier? that will miss all the wifi only, like all three devices I have).
    OP, droid like buffet table with all the apps. you need someone experienced to hand held you to pick set of good apps, disable some settings, etc. you will get some sort of BB like experience (french restaurant exp)... BB was domed because people want buffet table food and cheap more than chaps willing to pay top dollar to go to french restaurant for 2 pages manu... you just have to spend time (read CB) and money (paid BB app without ads) to get bb droid to your liking... (many BB users want buffet food but now with some regret... I guess after they got bit by ads, junk mail, etc... sort like diabetic... but BB no more ;-).
    10-01-17 01:26 PM
    You won't get many votes here on this site as it is peopled with BlackBerry aficionados, diehards, fanboys... it's not a place of balanced viewpints.
    Unfortunate perspective, but you've only been a member here 24 days. Stick around! So far the views expressed in this thread run the spectrum.
    10-01-17 01:28 PM
    actually I've never worried about being number one or having number one in as much as I've used phones that people considered to be trash from the Motorola a 3100 through the HP pre 3 which actually never was marketed publicly and then now it's some Blackberry phones. The experience of choosing number one is that of plain-vanilla when you look at the number one offerings at this time.
    10-01-17 01:32 PM
    I pine for intelligent things gone from the earth... early on there was compuserve that maintained a huge trove of useful information & it was trashed deleting hundreds of thousands of pages of information... then came palm which evolved into webOS which was a very mature platform bought out by HP and trashed now found on some home appliances... then there was bbOS evolved into bb10 and trashed the bones found in car dashboards... millions of man hours down the drain, imho
    QNX was in cars long before it was in BB10, and it will be long after BB10. It’s an excellent OS for that type of application. It’s not lost at all. It was just a poor choice for phones.

Compuserve failed to keep up. It was superseded by much more scalable, distributed, easier to use systems that absolutely dwarf the content in compuserve.

This is normal technological progress. A lot of amazing intelligent work went into printing and distributing newspapers once upon a time. The 68k through PowerPC processors were fantastic work, but ultimately got beaten by Intel. Intel itself lost out to ARM in low power devices despite amazing work they did. This is a normal part of progress.
    10-01-17 01:34 PM
    question, does BB droid counts as droid? if it is, that rim line drop to zero should be around 3 years ago. (I am assume they don't count resale... only the new devices? or actively used phone OS? how they determine that? based on carrier? that will miss all the wifi only, like all three devices I have).
    OP, droid like buffet table with all the apps. you need someone experienced to hand held you to pick set of good apps, disable some settings, etc. you will get some sort of BB like experience (french restaurant exp)... BB was domed because people want buffet table food and cheap more than chaps willing to pay top dollar to go to french restaurant for 2 pages manu... you just have to spend time (read CB) and money (paid BB app without ads) to get bb droid to your liking... (many BB users want buffet food but now with some regret... I guess after they got bit by ads, junk mail, etc... sort like diabetic... but BB no more ;-).
    The people who want the highly curated, but expensive experience buy from Apple. So there is a high end market and a broader low/mid market. The problem is BB ended up in neither market because of a series of strategic and tactical errors.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-01-17 01:38 PM
    QNX was in cars long before it was in BB10, and it will be long after BB10. It’s an excellent OS for that type of application. It’s not lost at all. It was just a poor choice for phones.

Compuserve failed to keep up. It was superseded by much more scalable, distributed, easier to use systems that absolutely dwarf the content in compuserve.

This is normal technological progress. A lot of amazing intelligent work went into printing and distributing newspapers once upon a time. The 68k through PowerPC processors were fantastic work, but ultimately got beaten by Intel. Intel itself lost out to ARM in low power devices despite amazing work they did. This is a normal part of progress.
    Some evolution represents extinction rather than progress... humankind may actually be facing that according to Mars colonists and climate change crowd...
    10-01-17 01:51 PM
    question, does BB droid counts as droid? if it is, that rim line drop to zero should be around 3 years ago.
    Here's IDC's page. To my understanding, any GooBerry would be listed in the Android line, when looking at an OS graph as I used. We could look at it by brand instead, but I can't imagine it gets better.
    10-01-17 02:05 PM
    QNX was an excellent choice as the core for BB10, the problem was it was 2 years too late and the game was already over.

Go read the book "Losing the Signal" for a play by play historical perspective.

Having the best Tech doesn't mean you will win, just ask Sony (remember Betamax).
    10-01-17 02:22 PM
    The problem is BB ended up in neither market because of a series of strategic and tactical errors.
    This is also true.
    10-01-17 02:24 PM
    QNX was an excellent choice as the core for BB10, the problem was it was 2 years too late and the game was already over.

Go read the book "Losing the Signal" for a play by play historical perspective.

Having the best Tech doesn't mean you will win, just ask Sony (remember Betamax).
    I agree that you can take the best tech decisions and still lose. In this case, though, they also made a bad tech decision in going with QNX for a phone.

Only one of many reasons they lost. Losing the Signal doesn’t really question the QNX decision itself. I do. I think it was a terrible choice driven by patriotism more than anything.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-01-17 at 05:24 PM.
    10-01-17 03:38 PM
    The people who want the highly curated, but expensive experience buy from Apple. So there is a high end market and a broader low/mid market. The problem is BB ended up in neither market because of a series of strategic and tactical errors.
    respectably disagree. iPhone is target massive users - low in tech skill, but want to be utilize the tech- not high end of user I would call it (they do have geeks very impressive group followers, tiny fraction of the user base), but the product is so easy to use, the kid willing to fork over a kidney for the price. the lowest denominator target allow iphone to tab into large market/high profit (many apps are very pretty, eye candy.. angry bird, typically target for low end of user). BB mistake are multiple (agree with you). it assume user will figure it out of swipes, target to the social media younger gen and ignore its own base-business users (tell me how many business users look at Alicia Key every night on internet?)... it pricing at business handset, but want to attract younger user with limited budget - without angry bird, pretty app, etc. Z10 is more industrial like design, sitting next to iphone, guess which one will pick by a kid? iphone at time didn't fight for business area... BB just give it away by targeting the wrong group with wrong design (industrial design... so far Z10 still a darling of male, white, business... very few female, young use that... i rest my case... marketing was complete in their lala land - including the CEO - TH).
    10-01-17 06:36 PM
55 123