there are those of us out there that would actually much rather longer battery life than having a website or app load a fraction of a second faster.

I don't want to be tethered to an AC outlet at any part of my day. A battery that gets me through the entire day, regardless of real-world use, is a priority for me. Shaving fractions of a second each time I am loading a Web page will never add up to the amount of time that I save by not having to stop and wait for my phone to charge. Or even for the few seconds of fumbling for my charger to connect it, for that matter.

Endurance > speed
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Could not have said it any better. If only people and especially smartphone reviewers would get what this guy said through their damn heads and stop nitpicking manufacturers so damn much for not using the latest snapdragon etc... FFS No phone is worth a damn if it becomes a paper weight halfway through the day (not asking a whole day of non stop 3D gaming obviously). Also just cause a phone has quick charge (aka quick battery degradation) and wireless charging does not excuse a too small battery and/or overall crappy battery performance.

Matter of fact, if I could choose a processor for all my phones I'd go with something along the lines of the 625 in the K1, because at the end of the day you get a phone whose features you can ACTUALLY enjoy without glancing at the power indicator every 5 seconds (and seeing it drop), and especially avoids needing a battery case/power pack
    anon(8650998) likes this.
    09-12-17 10:04 AM
    You can buy special edition KEYone with more 4Gb of RAM and 64Gb of storage.

Blackberry put Snapdragon 625 on purpose and that is why I can get battery life like on attached screen shot.

KEYone Does not need the latest and fastest CPU. Putting 835 in KEYone would bewaste of time and resources.

My KEYone is more than fast enough.

You want the fastest and the most fluent experience on KEYone. Just turn off animations in developer mode.

From my experience apps are landing fast, Google maps are running great, web browsing experience is excellent and multitasking is good.

I am yet to experience any serious performance issues with KEYone.

I do not feel at all like the phone is compromised in any way whatsoever with "midrange" CPU and I do not wish KEYone should have faster CPU.

Also I think 625 CPU should not be described as "midrange" but rather power efficient CPU.

If I had choice again I would buy special edition version with 4GB of RAM. And this is not because I feel like 3GB is not enough but because if I spend $679CAN on this phone I might as well spend extra $130 and get top of the line version.

So in conclusion if you like to watch YouTube or you are fun of mobile video games than KEYone is not right for you because you need big screen and more power.

But if you like me using the phone mostly for communication, some web browsing and occasional YouTube and games than KEYone is a very good choice. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9211f8596c.jpg
    I'm aware of the 4gb .

However right now I've got 6gb of ram snapdragon 821, and I get great battery life, amazing multitasking and a decent screen size/quality...

I would have got the 5 but I was hoping for 4K so I can play around with VR a bit.

If I was an average user then I might bite for the 4GB Keyone, but I want to edit docs on the fly, watch a few videos during the day etc. And be able to not be too concerned about my battery life, I just don't think it presents that for me atm.
    09-12-17 11:55 AM
    Thank you for pointing this out. Some people don't realize this but there are those of us out there that would actually much rather longer battery life than having a website or app load a fraction of a second faster. As long as the phone doesn't get completely bogged down (like, say what my BB10 devices are doing when trying to run some Android apps), then that is more than good enough for me.

I don't want to be tethered to an AC outlet at any part of my day. A battery that gets me through the entire day, regardless of real-world use, is a priority for me. Shaving fractions of a second each time I am loading a Web page will never add up to the amount of time that I save by not having to stop and wait for my phone to charge. Or even for the few seconds of fumbling for my charger to connect it, for that matter.

Endurance > speed
    Thing is though, as OnePlus have shown, you can have both...and even at still a mid level price
    09-12-17 11:57 AM
    I've had my KEYone for about two weeks, and I've decided to return it to Amazon.

I loved the keyboard, and I never ran into any of the issues with signal reception, notifications, or screen separation that others have encountered.

So why am I returning it? Two reasons:

1. It's too slow (for me)
    2. The screen is too small (for me).

Both of these are subjective criteria, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be happy with the K1, but the excellent keyboard wasn't enough for me.

Speed is always relative. Is a Miata fast or slow? It's fast compared to a Prius, but slow compared to a Corvette.

The K1 is about as fast as you would expect from a current, mid-range SoC like the K1's Qualcomm Snapdragon 625. It's not slow slow, but it's nowhere near as fast and responsive as a flagship Android device like my Snapdragon 820-based V20 (which I'm switching back to).

Even my 4-year-old Note 3, with a Snapdragon 800, feels much faster and more responsive. And like the K1, the Note 3 has only 3 GB of RAM.

On the other hand, if you're coming from a mid-range device, you probably won't have any problem with the K1's speed. It's not bad; it's just not top-of-the-line.

In my case, the main problem wasn't running out of RAM. The problem was that in any task that was CPU or GPU intensive, the K1 was notably slower than my V20 (or any other current flagship). This was particularly noticeable when surfing the web, but it even showed up when reading through Gmail.

Size is a matter of personal preference. After getting used to phablet-sized screens, I wasn't satisfied with the smaller screen on the K1.

The K1 is probably the perfect phone for some people, but not for me.

I'm still a physical keyboard fan, like I've been since the beginning of the smartphone era. It was one of the reasons I choose to get a T-Mobile G1 instead of an iPhone, back in the day.

I'd consider buying a KEYtwo (or whatever Blackberry Mobile calls the follow-up to the K1), if they made the following changes:

1. Flagship specs (SoC and RAM)
    2. Larger screen (at least 5.5")

One way to implement the larger screen would be to use a portrait slider like the Priv. The Priv had the right idea about form factor, but the keyboard was too small. A portrait slider with the footprint of a Note 8, V30, or Pixel XL should be able to hold a K1-sized keyboard.

I would go from "might buy" to "definitely will buy" if they also added:

1. High-end DAC (like the V20 and V30)
    2. Dedicated row for physical number keys

Of course, this all adds cost, but I would definitely be willing to pay flagship prices (equivalent to a Note 8, V30, Pixel XL) for a flagship KEYtwo.
    But you didn't see that video that shows the K1 is as fast or faster than the S8?

/S
    09-12-17 12:32 PM
    Its funny how people whine and complain about the KeyOne specs yet people still bought it! I don't know, I'm confused?!?! There are tons of reviews for the KeyOne, from hardcore BB fans to BB haters and the in between. Most reviewers say this is not for gamers or multi-media intense apps. This phone was NEVER designed for that.
    When it was announced some people already complained about it got the SD625 and not the SD820 and that it has a 3G RAM and the screen is about 4"x2.5". Specs and performance was posted everywhere.

Yet people that are hardcore users still buy it?!?! I'm really confused.

Waiting for "better specs" every damn year there is always a better technology out there every year. Wait for the next one? Seriously?! The LED TV I bought last year will be old technology next year!

Maybe people should wait for the SD1000 or say SD2000?

I just can't comprehend how people think, maybe they don't.
    09-12-17 01:44 PM
    Its funny how people whine and complain about the KeyOne specs yet people still bought it! I don't know, I'm confused?!?! There are tons of reviews for the KeyOne, from hardcore BB fans to BB haters and the in between. Most reviewers say this is not for gamers or multi-media intense apps. This phone was NEVER designed for that.
    When it was announced some people already complained about it got the SD625 and not the SD820 and that it has a 3G RAM and the screen is about 4"x2.5". Specs and performance was posted everywhere.

Waiting for "better specs" every damn year there is always a better technology out there every year. Wait for the next one? Seriously?! The LED TV I bought last year will be old technology next year!

A lot of people labor under the misapprehension that other people have the same needs and preferences that they do.

It's worthwhile to debate the tradeoffs between specs and features, but only by comparing apples to apples.

For example, I only care about my mobile device for continuing my paid work when I'm away from my desk.

How much processing power do I need to read an email, compose a response, add email attachments from 2-3 different sources, and copy a few additional contacts on my response, with maybe a quick trip to my SharePoint site to copy and paste some text in between? The answer is "not much.". In fact my five year old 800 Mhz dual core processor does it easily, with zero lag.

But, what if my battery dies at the end of a sixteen hour marathon work day, and I can't send the last two or three emails or follow up with a critically timed phone call? That costs real money.

So, in my case I would pay MORE for fewer Mhz and longer battery life. If the KEYone was offered with 6GB RAM and the SD835 processor for $550, and 3GB RAM and the SD 825 for $650, I would pay $100 MORE for the one with longer battery life, even with 1/2 the RAM because for my use case,

BATTERY LIFE > CLOCK SPEED

I appreciate that others have different priorities, but that's why there are different phones with different features at different price points!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    anon(8650998) likes this.
    09-12-17 02:07 PM

Besides, SD625 brings awesome battery which people and phone reviewers don't accentuate enough. Who the hell cares about top of the line specs if your phone won't make it through the day!? Seriously, think about it.
    09-12-17 02:07 PM
    Why are we constantly subjected to these threads about "leaving _____ phone because it sucks"?

Don't like something, just move on peacefully.

Posts like these are most likely from the same people who constantly post stuff on social media for attention seeking purposes.
    because someone just can't admit they made a wrong choice - therefore, must be the phone's fault. move on peacefully? they can't vent the anger... just need to get out their system... (but not kicking themselves).
    09-12-17 02:23 PM
    A lot of people labor under the misapprehension that other people have the same needs and preferences that they do.

It's worthwhile to debate the tradeoffs between specs and features, but only by comparing apples to apples.

For example, I only care about my mobile device for continuing my paid work when I'm away from my desk.

How much processing power do I need to read an email, compose a response, add email attachments from 2-3 different sources, and copy a few additional contacts on my response, with maybe a quick trip to my SharePoint site to copy and paste some text in between? The answer is "not much.". In fact my five year old 800 Mhz dual core processor does it easily, with zero lag.

But, what if my battery dies at the end of a sixteen hour marathon work day, and I can't send the last two or three emails or follow up with a critically timed phone call? That costs real money.

So, in my case I would pay MORE for fewer Mhz and longer battery life. If the KEYone was offered with 6GB RAM and the SD835 processor for $550, and 3GB RAM and the SD 825 for $650, I would pay $100 MORE for the one with longer battery life, even with 1/2 the RAM because for my use case,

I appreciate that others have different priorities, but that's why there are different phones with different features at different price points!

wondering how much did you pay for the z10? must be brought as "new" as you never had it before? BB was never, ever a spec reader's paradise.. the design always as function 1st (including trade offs). You might have the wrong brand in your mind.. If you come from TCL, I understand that neck of the woods are all specs, they don't really understand what is function per weight, function per cost, function per charge (battery size). i am so sorry BB disapoint for you as K1. (iphone X just announced, with small battery and memory - compare to some of asia spec, I guess you are not their cup of tea too;-).
    09-12-17 02:34 PM
    Besides, SD625 brings awesome battery which people and phone reviewers don't accentuate enough. Who the hell cares about top of the line specs if your phone won't make it through the day!? Seriously, think about it.
    Exactly people want a phone to replace their TV, game console and computer. Seriously?!?! These are the same people who can "see" what 4K looks like in a 5" display screen and tell you its AMAZING lol.

People lose their heads when a website was delayed 1.0sec to load lol.

Battery is freaking awesome! I don't feel bad for my friends with the iPhone dying by the end of the day, I just smile and say I still have another day to go lol.

The screen is too small? There is damn PKB!!! People need to learn how to use ruler or maybe read and understand the specs.
    09-12-17 02:42 PM
    wondering how much did you pay for the z10? must be brought as "new" as you never had it before? BB was never, ever a spec reader's paradise.. the design always as function 1st (including trade offs). You might have the wrong brand in your mind.. If you come from TCL, I understand that neck of the woods are all specs, they don't really understand what is function per weight, function per cost, function per charge (battery size). i am so sorry BB disapoint for you as K1. (iphone X just announced, with small battery and memory - compare to some of asia spec, I guess you are not their cup of tea too;-).
    I love my z10, which I bought at launch in March 2013 for an AT&T subsidized price of "free" though I would have happily paid full price. It's been great for almost 5 years, and I may be using it as a WiFi only appliance for another few years.

And I really like my new KEYone, which hasn't disappointed me at all. I'm annoyed by some Android oversights in terms of enforcing a consistent user experience, but I really like BlackBerry's take on Android.

So, nothing to be sorry for on my end. Two great phones for me. But then, I'm a careful shopper, so I'm usually happy with my purchases because I understand their strengths and limitations.

09-12-17 03:12 PM
    I love my z10, which I bought at launch in March 2013 for an AT&T subsidized price of "free" though I would have happily paid full price. It's been great for almost 5 years, and I may be using it as a WiFi only appliance for another few years.

And I really like my new KEYone, which hasn't disappointed me at all. I'm annoyed by some Android oversights in terms of enforcing a consistent user experience, but I really like BlackBerry's take on Android.

So, nothing to be sorry for on my end. Two great phones for me. But then, I'm a careful shopper, so I'm usually happy with my purchases because I understand their strengths and limitations.

My Z10 is stored away. I purchased it privately from someone who got it as an upgrade. It was brand new. We met at Verizon where the imei was checked and I paid cash.

Did the same for my Z30. But the Z30 sits in its wireless charging easel, still feeding Blend to my desktop and laptopssss. I did have to have its battery replaced for about $50 a year ago.

Wish the Priv and/or KeyOne had Blend.
    09-12-17 06:30 PM
    Everybody's expectations on phones are so different, my wife would be happy with a phone that was just a phone nothing else. My son wants a phone the size of a TV screen, my daughter is happy with what she gets in the hand me downs. I want the biggest bang for my buck, hate Apple always been a BlackBerry fan K1 works for me.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-17 06:53 PM
    I thought you will know better to ask for 6gb ram and 835... for that price. After 18 month, May be. At current stage, you will need to cheap it some place in order to keep it cost down (not going out of business) . Either find a inferior designer or other cheap component, or MFG skip steps, like reception test, use stats instead of vigorous test plan, etc.etc. (such as xiaomi handsets, not sure how it pass the drop test... k1 did. Just look at cbk vedio).

Posted via CB10
    09-13-17 07:44 AM

Again though, you can have both, imo the trade off between power and battery life is smaller every day, so the argument that we're being offered lower specs for a better battery life makes less and less sense...

I'm quite demanding of my phones, and right now using a 5.5" screen, 6gb ram s821, with a 3400 batter that lasts the day and then some, for the first time ever I'm not overly concerned with plugging in my phone overnight because it only take 45 ish minutes to full...

But I miss using a BlackBerry, I miss the Passport keyboard, ( also an example of a phone I would buy today, with updated specs and android software)...

I like the look of K1 and I could probably get used to the keyboard, I'm not saying it does not suffice for everyone, of course those with different needs to mine will find it a great phone, I just want a little more, the extra g in the Black is a good step but it doesn't look like it actually adds much to the running of the device
    09-16-17 03:08 AM
    I've had my KEYone for about two weeks, and I've decided to return it to Amazon.

I loved the keyboard, and I never ran into any of the issues with signal reception, notifications, or screen separation that others have encountered.

So why am I returning it? Two reasons:

1. It's too slow (for me)
    2. The screen is too small (for me).

Both of these are subjective criteria, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be happy with the K1, but the excellent keyboard wasn't enough for me.

Speed is always relative. Is a Miata fast or slow? It's fast compared to a Prius, but slow compared to a Corvette.

The K1 is about as fast as you would expect from a current, mid-range SoC like the K1's Qualcomm Snapdragon 625. It's not slow slow, but it's nowhere near as fast and responsive as a flagship Android device like my Snapdragon 820-based V20 (which I'm switching back to).

Even my 4-year-old Note 3, with a Snapdragon 800, feels much faster and more responsive. And like the K1, the Note 3 has only 3 GB of RAM.

On the other hand, if you're coming from a mid-range device, you probably won't have any problem with the K1's speed. It's not bad; it's just not top-of-the-line.

In my case, the main problem wasn't running out of RAM. The problem was that in any task that was CPU or GPU intensive, the K1 was notably slower than my V20 (or any other current flagship). This was particularly noticeable when surfing the web, but it even showed up when reading through Gmail.

Size is a matter of personal preference. After getting used to phablet-sized screens, I wasn't satisfied with the smaller screen on the K1.

The K1 is probably the perfect phone for some people, but not for me.

I'm still a physical keyboard fan, like I've been since the beginning of the smartphone era. It was one of the reasons I choose to get a T-Mobile G1 instead of an iPhone, back in the day.

I'd consider buying a KEYtwo (or whatever Blackberry Mobile calls the follow-up to the K1), if they made the following changes:

1. Flagship specs (SoC and RAM)
    2. Larger screen (at least 5.5")

One way to implement the larger screen would be to use a portrait slider like the Priv. The Priv had the right idea about form factor, but the keyboard was too small. A portrait slider with the footprint of a Note 8, V30, or Pixel XL should be able to hold a K1-sized keyboard.

I would go from "might buy" to "definitely will buy" if they also added:

1. High-end DAC (like the V20 and V30)
    2. Dedicated row for physical number keys

Of course, this all adds cost, but I would definitely be willing to pay flagship prices (equivalent to a Note 8, V30, Pixel XL) for a flagship KEYtwo.
    My KEYone has been snappy since day 1. Never have I experienced lag. Have you tried clearing cache and rebooting?
    09-16-17 12:07 PM
    Again though, you can have both, imo the trade off between power and battery life is smaller every day, so the argument that we're being offered lower specs for a better battery life makes less and less sense...

I'm quite demanding of my phones, and right now using a 5.5" screen, 6gb ram s821, with a 3400 batter that lasts the day and then some, for the first time ever I'm not overly concerned with plugging in my phone overnight because it only take 45 ish minutes to full...

But I miss using a BlackBerry, I miss the Passport keyboard, ( also an example of a phone I would buy today, with updated specs and android software)...

I like the look of K1 and I could probably get used to the keyboard, I'm not saying it does not suffice for everyone, of course those with different needs to mine will find it a great phone, I just want a little more, the extra g in the Black is a good step but it doesn't look like it actually adds much to the running of the device
    These processor specs are less and less important. Just like in PC world. KEYone is really great productivity tool. It is not great for media consumption but it is perfect for messaging.
    09-18-17 05:22 AM
42 12