But that's kind of the crappy thing about relying on apps to do core functions of the phone. Sure one app isn't usually super expensive, but when you have to buy like 20 of them to get your phone the way you want it, it adds up. But in the end, I'm happy just to have the ability to customize things. Still waiting for someone to figure out how to make notification sounds go to the phone instead of the speaker when connected via bluetooth...
    True. I guess they have to keep developers happy. There are open source apps that usually don't cost or have ads but might not have all the options a person wants.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-22-17 06:12 PM
    But that's kind of the crappy thing about relying on apps to do core functions of the phone. Sure one app isn't usually super expensive, but when you have to buy like 20 of them to get your phone the way you want it, it adds up. But in the end, I'm happy just to have the ability to customize things. Still waiting for someone to figure out how to make notification sounds go to the phone instead of the speaker when connected via bluetooth...
    People can debate forever what is "core" and what is not.

Is a video player more or less "core" than an instant messenger or a social media app? In 2017 it's all a blur.

At the end of the day, give me choices. Once you're in an ecosystem, the $3 for a file manager stays with you forever.
    06-22-17 06:25 PM
    Btw, just enjoyed a whole day on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

17hrs 40mins of charge, including 9hrs 20mins Screen On Time.

All Google and BlackBerry services fully enabled, no Greenify or any other "battery saving" app.

Over 150 apps installed. Streamed music over mobile for over an hour, played Candy Crush for a while, and spent most of rest of the time typing and managing messages.
    06-22-17 06:46 PM
    I'm over the hump with BlackBerry Android after the initial adjustment period, mainly because of
    - The excellent battery
    - learning how use the previous ¤ button.
    - pocketability of KeyOne vs Passport
    - I now only have to carry around only one phone
    - access to Google KEEP, better than Remember
    - knowing any app is available if needed

There are things i'm missing about BB10, but we need to be pragmatic.

KeyOne is getting the job done for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 07:20 PM
    You are simply not used to Android. Don't worry, it will come and you will wonder how you ever got along without it.
    That correct, while I still use my PassPort. When I switched to a priv is was like pulling teeth. It will come just like one day I will have to move from my PassPort. Sidebar, I still use OS 10 because of the screen size for reading and the keyboard. I have used a friends KeyOne and it was ok, a little cramped but then again anything will be when coming from the T Rex of phones. I am also waiting for the shake out period on the KeyOne then I will jump in.
    06-22-17 07:26 PM
    I installed Nova Launcher on my Oneplus 3t and all I have to do is swipe up on the screen and it opens the HUB. Voilà.
    I did not like the adjustment to android either and I've been here before, but sticking with it and figuring things out by asking questions is more productive.

I love BB10 much more than android but if you want to move forward there really isn't any other choice. I said I wouldn't say this but BB10 is the best OS around, unfortunately without support it has fallen behind and will inevitably slow you down.
    06-22-17 07:52 PM
    I understand what you're saying. I'd recommend giving yourself an adjustment period as you're switching platforms(BB10 to Android). There are many times that I miss my BB10 devices. I simply find the KeyONE the closest thing to a perfect device outside of the realm of BB10. Good luck!
    06-22-17 08:08 PM
    Saw one in the store. Tried it out...and...its disappointing to say the least. I think that it looks better in pictures than in reality.

Looking at it and holding it, the first impression I got was that of an undercooked, cheap looking and cheesy device.

The much lauded and vaunted keyboard looks crummy and whatever it is, compared to a Q10, Classic or Passport, this is NOT a real BlackBerry keyboard.

As for Android Nougat, for all the supposed "great improvements" I didn't get the sense that it was that much better than the Marshmallow 6.0...If I hadn't looked at the phone to see what OS version it was running, I wouldn't have known it was Nougat.

Watched a few videos on it, and it sucked, the sound and the visual quality, plus with the PKB on the side the lost screen real estate can't be ignored.

A good battery life and the 32GB of internal storage are great but hardly a justification for the price.

As flawed as the DTEK devices might be, I would never exchange my DTEK50 for a KeyOne. Way overpriced for what it's supposed to be.

The KeyOne might be a BlackBerry branded device, but it's not a BlackBerry phone, just the imitation of one.

[ATTACH]425754
    Attached Thumbnails Why I hate Keyone-img_20170622_1813289.jpg  
    Last edited by adonesc; 06-23-17 at 07:12 PM.
    06-22-17 08:25 PM
    The much lauded and vaunted keyboard looks crummy and whatever it is, compared to a Q10, Classic or Passport, this is NOT a real BlackBerry keyboard.
    Wow. Couldn't disagree more.

I think it's the best keyboard ever. It's like adding capacitive touch (swipe gestures, etc) to the 9900. After a couple of days, I'm just flying again. The Passport and 9900 are tied for second for me, but the Passport was just a bit too big - a lot of thumb pain from reaching and impossible for one handed use.
    06-22-17 08:29 PM
    Wow. Couldn't disagree more.

I think it's the best keyboard ever. It's like adding capacitive touch (swipe gestures, etc) to the 9900. After a couple of days, I'm just flying again. The Passport and 9900 are tied for second for me, but the Passport was just a bit too big - a lot of thumb pain from reaching and impossible for one handed use.
    Listen I understand that basically CrackBerry has become an outpost of BlackBerry Mobile, what with the suffocating sponsorship deal whereby CrackBerry is now a giant advertising billboard for the KeyOne. Every other article is about the KeyOne, singing it's praises. Like a "Dear Leader" type of deal.

But not everybody will agree that the KeyOne is the second coming. And if TCL (and the Chinese government) are disappointed...well too bad...LOL

I sincerely hope that the device sells and customers are pleased with it. I would never buy it as it isn't the device for me...plenty happy with my rebranded Alcatel Idol 4 aka DTEK50...
    06-22-17 08:36 PM
    One thing I'm annoyed with, is when you check a text message from the hub and then press the back button it returns you to the messages app, and not the hub. So you have to go back to the home screen and open the hub again. You don't have to do it with email or bbm. Just have to get used to things I guess.
    That's not true actually. Pressing back following the flow you described, does take you back to the hub.

@adonesc regarding your comment that K1 isn't a real BlackBerry, the phone was still designed by BlackBerry in Waterloo. So even though it was manufactured in China by TCL, it's still a real BlackBerry in the same essence as an iPhone designed by Apple and built by FoxConn.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 06-22-17 at 08:51 PM.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-22-17 08:41 PM
    Every other article is about the KeyOne, singing it's praises.
    Crackberry is a BlackBerry fan site. Every single BlackBerry-branded device that has come along has had a ton of hype and coverage here during launch. And most people tend to think positively of said devices. Again, not surprising for a fan site.

The KEYone is the current excitement. What would you expect Crackberry to talk about?

As for my opinion above, it is mine alone. I speak for no one else.

KEYone / DTEK60 / Z30
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-22-17 08:57 PM
    Crackberry is a BlackBerry fan site. Every single BlackBerry-branded device that has come along has had a ton of hype and coverage here during launch. And most people tend to think positively of said devices. Again, not surprising for a fan site.

The KEYone is the current excitement. What would you expect Crackberry to talk about?

As for my opinion above, it is mine alone. I speak for no one else.

KEYone / DTEK60 / Z30
    "CrackBerry is a BlackBerry fan site". LOL...was... But whatever it is now, it's OK too. Everyone has to survive somehow, some way.
    06-22-17 09:30 PM
    If you don't like the stick phone app you could download another or utilize the keyboard shortcuts.
    06-22-17 10:24 PM
    Saw one in the store. Tried it out...and...its disappointing to say the least. I think that it looks better in pictures than in reality.

Looking at it and holding it, the first impression I got was that of an undercooked, cheap looking and cheesy device.

As for Android Nougat, for all the supposed "great improvements" I didn't get the sense that it was that much better than the Marshmallow 6.0...If I hadn't looked at the phone to see what OS version it was running, I wouldn't have known it was Nougat.

Watched a few videos on it, and it sucked, the sound and the visual quality, plus with the PKB on the side the lost screen real estate make can't be ignored.

A good battery life and the 32GB of internal storage are great but hardly a justification for the price.

As flawed as the DTEK devices might be, I would never exchange my DTEK50 for a KeyOne. Way overpriced for what it's supposed to be.

The KeyOne might be a BlackBerry branded device, but it's not a BlackBerry phone, just the imitation of one.

[ATTACH]425754
    Yah man, the KEYone is such a cheapy looking device. I mean, instead of milled aluminum they should have went with a high quality material like plastic...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-22-17 10:27 PM
    I'm old and very resistant to this change. I'm in my first day, not loving it but it is just a phone. I wonder how many of us actually made use of all BB 10 could do. So just give it some time to teach me how it works. I get it's not BB 10.
    And I get "Monopolies do not concern you"...it has everything to do with this.
    Wonder if the terrible cell reception can be fixed with a software update?
    06-22-17 10:37 PM
    The manufacturing cost is driving up the cost - the real world value doesn't command $549 - and I LoVe my KEYᵒⁿᵉ overall -

$399 would be a equitable price to settle at in say 2 weeks lol kidding - if they want to sustain marketshare sure keep your pricing. If they want to grow it then pricing needs to be way more competitive.

As far as the typing experience - if you want to love the device then you will mentally tell yourself it's good because you don't have any other viable options. That said after two weeks or so I fly on this and fatigue is less noticeable
    06-22-17 10:42 PM
    I can see it now: the BlackBerry KeyPass - wrong thread - silly Crack -
    This was intended for will there be another KEYᵒⁿᵉ successor
    06-22-17 10:44 PM
    i'm having some problems with android also.. still learning though.. unless bb10 continues.. what the heck.. setting rgb also needs an app???? hahaha..
    06-23-17 12:58 AM
    using K1 for a 3 weeks now and still unhappy, i migrated from Q10 and missing many good things:

- no HDMI, i cannot use my phone for video player anymore

- new Blackberry Hub is just stupid application, nothing more, really missing old-good-hub

- ridiculous led indicator, only blue (light or very light), red and green

- why system cannot switch to 4G if there is no internet on wifi?

- ugly phone application, very uncomfortable to make a call, check call history, dial other number in call etc. etc.

- not possible to set notification volume for every application

- vibration mode very very light, almost nothing

- tiles on the top of screen very strange, i cannot access to my mobile setting easy, i cannot see wifi network name easy, i cannot go to alarm setting etc.

May be more points, but in total it's looking like degradation, I really need many good functions from Blackberry 10 OS, but don't have in on Nougat.....
    So you bought one without watching detailed YouTube reviews?
    06-23-17 02:08 AM
    Don't tell me about android, of course i used it before and in my understanding this is very flexible platform easy to be customized and I have no idea why it wasn't done for Keyone

Fail with hardware - the same story

And yes: - if BB released more rubbish phone, I would buy that as well, don't need any reviews for only one smartphone with keyboard in the market.
    06-23-17 03:48 AM
    I'm old and very resistant to this change. I'm in my first day, not loving it but it is just a phone. I wonder how many of us actually made use of all BB 10 could do. So just give it some time to teach me how it works. I get it's not BB 10.
    And I get "Monopolies do not concern you"...it has everything to do with this.
    Wonder if the terrible cell reception can be fixed with a software update?
    Just ask questions and I think cell reception was improved in older devices with software.
    06-23-17 06:50 AM
    A lot of developers made a lot of money by filling in the gaps on BlackBerry by way of apps. Let's not pretend Android is any different. Once upon a time, BlackBerry couldn't even handle HTML email without an app. Arguably, BlackBerry 10 died out quicker than it had to because of BlackBerry's neglect of developer tools inhibiting developers ability to build even more apps for the platform. Having to buy 20 apps to get your device the way you want should not be looked at as a problem. At least the apps are being built to fill in those voids.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-17 08:56 AM
    A lot of developers made a lot of money by filling in the gaps on BlackBerry by way of apps. Let's not pretend Android is any different. Once upon a time, BlackBerry couldn't even handle HTML email without an app. Arguably, BlackBerry 10 died out quicker than it had to because of BlackBerry's neglect of developer tools inhibiting developers ability to build even more apps for the platform. Having to buy 20 apps to get your device the way you want should not be looked at as a problem. At least the apps are being built to fill in those voids.
    Yes Bla1ze, thus this line in the text you quoted from me: "But in the end, I'm happy just to have the ability to customize things."

Not to mention, notice I was simply pointing out to the person I was replying to that one is cheap but they add up. It wasn't even a specific comment about Android. I was simply stating in general. If that's the case with BB10, Windows Phone, or iPhone as well, then my comment applies to them also. Someone said that one of those apps is cheap, was simply reminding that it's never just one.
    06-23-17 10:24 AM
    Wait a second. There are phones that have HDMI ports?
    cribble2k likes this.
    06-23-17 10:36 AM
137 1234 ...