I still remember the second I laid my eyes on the Passport I told myself oh boy, I'm gonna get this beauty. And here I am, texting on this gorgeous device with the hope that something similar could replace her soon.

As a medical professional, I need apps like ABX, epocrates, UpToDate, etc. As a social member, I'd like my Wechat, whatsapp, and numerous other apps to run flawlessly. And as a commuter, I wish there are naturally embedded Google Maps, Waze and Here. Yes, these apps can be potentially downloaded and installed on my Passport but I've had horrific experiences with running them under BlackBerry OS and was hoping the Priv could solve it all.

It did. Functionality wise, it has been great. I never bought the device but I've spent hours at ATT and Bestbuy stores testing this device and there's no doubt that BlackBerry has done a great job improving the lack of app part.

But what's been lost is so crucial to a BlackBerry device that completely turned me down. What is it? The design!

Why? BlackBerry, at least to me, has always been an alias for professional, expert, elegance, uniqueness. Based on? It's physical keyboard. Beautiful keyboard. The second I see the device, I won't mistake it for something else. The keyboard is right in front of my eyes. Lying there, brilliantly, quietly, elegantly. The Priv, however, completely took away what defines BlackBerry. Yes, the keyboard is still great and useful, but the design language becomes completely different. As if it's saying we want to make it to be a normal smartphone but let's preserve the keyboard so we can still brand it as a BlackBerry. No! The keyboard is what defines BlackBerry and makes it stand out from the everyday mundane crowd. I've been sooo bored of recent years of smartphones that the only thing they could ever improve is some PPI, RAM, storage and processor speed. No uniqueness whatsoever. BlackBerry is supposed to be so much different. Furthermore, the sliding motion would create unnecessary motion that's required for us to start typing. Why? Typing on this butter smooth keyboard should be a very instinctive action, shouldn't have to request additional action. At the same time, moreover, the unnecessary mechanism would create higher likelihood of mechanical defects and decrease product lifetime. Yes, I understand you are trying to appeal more normal smartphone users,but perhaps even a better idea is to enable the keyboard with a touchscreen like function so that we are given an option to turn on or off the capability that even without pressing the keys, as long as the keyboard is touched, the letter is read. Just like on the screen but on the keypad. And for the typers who would love to actually press and feel the travel of the buttons, enable the function and we'll have the best of both worlds.

As a customer, as a shareholder, I want BlackBerry to release the Vienna because I think it will be the perfect blend of Android software and BlackBerry keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 10:47 PM
    Nobody cares if you have a S7, 6Splus, etc. They are just one of the many boring pieces. But with the Passport, no matter where I went, gas station, airport, hospital, people have constantly been asking me about the device and complimenting on its design. With the Priv, so many don't even know it's got a keyboard underneath. What's the point? Where is the specialty?

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721458) likes this.
    03-10-16 10:54 PM
    Ok. Will see how it pans out.... No news.
    03-10-16 11:16 PM
    The point is you know the keyboard is there with the Priv. I don't need to show off the keyboard. If I did I would buy a pink phone and have everyone glamour over me. It is what it is and it is functional. Who cares if people aren't stopping me at gas stations. That's why I drive an M5 and not an obvious sports car. Discretion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    so crow likes this.
    03-10-16 11:18 PM
    I absolutly agree with you ranjohn. I totally understand blackberry, why they release a phone like the priv, there are many good reasons. But now its time to let the productivity beginn –*with the vienna!
    03-11-16 03:30 AM
    The point is you know the keyboard is there with the Priv. I don't need to show off the keyboard. If I did I would buy a pink phone and have everyone glamour over me. It is what it is and it is functional. Who cares if people aren't stopping me at gas stations. That's why I drive an M5 and not an obvious sports car. Discretion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Exactly, but I'm not talking about showing off. You said it yourself that what matters is function. So why didn't you get the E90 M3? Because you compromised performance for space. M5 lacks the AWD option, that's why BMW is pushing out a X version for it. They realized something was missing. It's slower than the RS6 in a straight line and handles worse then it's smaller brother around corners due to bigger size and more weight. IMO, Audi is more low key than your BMW.

Priv wanted to appeal to both worlds but to people who don't use the physical keyboard, it becomes? Extra weight? Thickness? And to people that would enjoy using it, it's a two motion process which is against logic. You should check the story on how long it took Christian Von Koenigsegg to develop a better door opening mechanism than Lamborghini, because they are better car.

By the way, I have an S8 in my garage which I would call real low profile with functionality, not the M5.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721458) likes this.
    03-11-16 07:01 AM
    talking about the nice cars you drive is showing off in itself

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 06:11 PM
    Just gonna chime in on this phallic measuring contest. Gonna have to agree with the OP. Especially on the part where the priv, though powerful and functional, doesn't really appeal to me. It might as well be one of the galaxy phones I put away when I got my Classic. For about 6 months now, the physical keys and the BBOS has been probably the best of the three systems I've had on phones, but I'm at the point where when I hear about a new app I dont even bother checking to see if it's available on the app stores. A classic/passport/BlackBerry form factor on android would be the ideal solution here.

And while I'm at it, my Wrangler would take both your cars -- over mud

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 02:34 AM
    I'm still trying to understand how we started comparing a big heavy executive sedan to proper sports cars??

I'm with the OP. I'm waiting for a Passport like form factor with Android. I'll buy that day 1.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-12-16 08:03 AM
    The only thing I didn't like about the Priv was the almost 5.5 inch screen size. I think it's design is typical of BlackBerry's forward thinking.

From my Tower of Power Q5
    03-12-16 09:11 PM
    Nobody cares if you have a S7, 6Splus, etc. They are just one of the many boring pieces. But with the Passport, no matter where I went, gas station, airport, hospital, people have constantly been asking me about the device and complimenting on its design. With the Priv, so many don't even know it's got a keyboard underneath. What's the point? Where is the specialty?

Posted via CB10
    That is until you slide the keyboard out, then heads will roll.
    I know what you're saying, but the sneakiness factor is spot on IMO.
    03-14-16 11:01 AM
    BlackBerry heard us:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile...id-phones-2016

Please let's do it ASAP!!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 07:43 PM
    Motorcycle flying by every sports car on the road. Enjoy traffic!
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-18-16 08:48 AM
    BlackBerry heard us:

BlackBerry WILL Launch More Android Phones In 2016 | Know Your Mobile

Please let's do it ASAP!!

Posted via CB10
    Just old news rehashed into a more recent article
    03-19-16 02:02 PM