Maybe it is just me but I don't get why Whatsapp is so important

I thought it is just like BBM, except BBM is better, why would you have a Blackberry and not use BBM?

now with it available on most platforms, I don't understand what the issue is

please explain
    09-21-16 12:32 PM

I thought it is just like BBM, except BBM is better, why would you have a Blackberry and not use BBM?

please explain
    How do you chat on your BlackBerry 10 device (assumption here) with your social network?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 12:35 PM

please explain
    Most people don't use BBM
    There are a billion users on WhatsApp
    Because BBM was late to the cross platform race and then the release was met with a lot of glitches across platforms so people went back to WhatsApp very quickly
    So even if you want to use BBM how many on your contact list actually do?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 12:46 PM
    Well I just moved to Dtek50, but prior to that I was using BBM on my Z30
    09-21-16 12:46 PM
    Well I just moved to Dtek50, but prior to that I was using BBM on my Z30
    Good for you (y)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 12:49 PM
    I understand that, and why it happened but now that there is cross platform, there is no excuse in my mind

Whenever I am texting with someone,new I tell them I use BBM here is my pin etc and we chat on BBM, it does not matter to me that they don't have it, I give them the link to use it and goes from there.
    09-21-16 12:52 PM
    I understand that, and why it happened but now that there is cross platform, there is no excuse in my mind

Whenever I am texting with someone,new I tell them I use BBM here is my pin etc and we chat on BBM, it does not matter to me that they don't have it, I give them the link to use it and goes from there.
    Good that you are getting people to join BBM
    But it's not enough to replace WhatsApp as the preferred mode of communication for everyone at large
    Plus sharing and saving media on BBM is a big pain
    WhatsApp is a lot more convenient

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 12:59 PM
    Good that you are getting people to join BBM
    But it's not enough to replace WhatsApp as the preferred mode of communication for everyone at large

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Yes that is my point though, everyone flocked to Iphone and left Blackberry in the dust even though it was the better phone etc., which started the flock to Whatsapp, because there was no other option and Icrap did not provide that.

But now people are just stuck in their ways and don't realize it

This is going to make me sound like an ***, but in my mind noone on BB10 (true Blackberry user and fan) should be using anything other than BBM
    09-21-16 01:10 PM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I completely disagree. Sharing media was initially more advanced (any kind of file, only recently supported in WhatsApp) and I love how BBM makes you decide which pictures you want to keep. I have auto-download on WhatsApp disabled for every kind of media. I hate seeing a stupid shared picture I don't want in my picture library. I have to clean up my picture library once every month or so....

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 02:56 PM

This is going to make me sound like an ***, but in my mind noone on BB10 (true Blackberry user and fan) should be using anything other than BBM
    No I wish I could be the same, but you cannot force other people to use BBM. Can try to convince them why, but they must choose themselves.

And since most people do not want to pay a single cent for any kind of app.... I just cannot recommend the BBM version for Android and iOS to everyone. They will complain of ads within the day! I will call them cheap shots for not wanting to pay for an app, but that is all I can do.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 02:58 PM

please explain
    It's just that using whatsapp is "cooler" since it's not associated with BB, thus why there are already so many people using it. I like BBM more, but don't know anyone still using it. I think that's the case with most people. I don't really use either though because everyone where I live has unlimited texting anyway...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-21-16 03:04 PM
    I completely disagree. Sharing media was initially more advanced (any kind of file, only recently supported in WhatsApp) and I love how BBM makes you decide which pictures you want to keep. I have auto-download on WhatsApp disabled for every kind of media. I hate seeing a stupid shared picture I don't want in my picture library. I have to clean up my picture library once every month or so....

Posted via CB10
    Any kind of file sharing I agree
    Say a contact sends 10 pictures at once and you have to save all of them then it's a real pain to save each picture individually
    It's a bigger pain on BB10
    Plus BBM compress the pictures way too much. Yes there is an Option of HD, but again it's a pain, to ask for HD of each picture then wait for it
    Something in between the HD version and BBM compressed version would be perfect (like WhatsApp) while the compression does enable the pictures to come in every quickly but that was good for BIS days not today.
    Plus sending videos or audios is again a pain especially if you are sending it in a group because it will upload the audio or video to each contact individually therefore using up huge data and also it doesn't compress the same. Also because of the whole request process the sender and receiver have to be online with good network constantly for the file to transfer. It's just much easier and convenient on WhatsApp
    I am not a WhatsApp user or lover by any means.
    But what it does better I see no harm in accepting and would want BBM to learn from it. And as long as it cannot become as convenient as WhatsApp in all these regards, it will never be to even become a widely used IM, forget replacing WhatsApp.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 04:02 PM
    It's just that using whatsapp is "cooler" since it's not associated with BB, thus why there are already so many people using it. I like BBM more, but don't know anyone still using it. I think that's the case with most people. I don't really use either though because everyone where I live has unlimited texting anyway...

You don't use WhatsApp?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 04:07 PM
    Any kind of file sharing I agree
    Say a contact sends 10 pictures at once and you have to save all of them then it's a real pain to save each picture individually
    It's a bigger pain on BB10
    Plus BBM compress the pictures way too much. Yes there is an Option of HD, but again it's a pain, to ask for HD of each picture then wait for it
    Something in between the HD version and BBM compressed version would be perfect (like WhatsApp) while the compression does enable the pictures to come in every quickly but that was good for BIS days not today.
    Plus sending videos or audios is again a pain especially if you are sending it in a group because it will upload the audio or video to each contact individually therefore using up huge data and also it doesn't compress the same. Also because of the whole request process the sender and receiver have to be online with good network constantly for the file to transfer. It's just much easier and convenient on WhatsApp
    I am not a WhatsApp user or lover by any means.
    But what it does better I see no harm in accepting and would want BBM to learn from it. And as long as it cannot become as convenient as WhatsApp in all these regards, it will never be to even become a widely used IM, forget replacing WhatsApp.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I don't call it convenience when I have to delete pictures from my picture library just because I wanted to see them in WhatsApp. Yes you are right, if in a single person chat someone sends you 20 pictures you'll have to save them individually. I prefer it this way. You don't and that is fine.

The request HD picture function is something I am rather indifferent to. If they would change it to straight HD then I wouldn't object. But you know what... WhatsApp doesn't even allow sending of pictures in their original quality... so guess what. BBM is better here! WhatsApp also compresses the pictures... take a look at the file size of pictures you received. And you don't get any choice in it either. Maybe WhatsApp should learn from BBM here.

I get that convenience is important to people. To me, maintaining some control is more important. This is why BBM is better.

Sharing in BBM Groups is suboptimal, I agree. There are no full quality versions. However, sharing in multi-person chat does indeed fall back to single person chat. This is to offer the request HD picture function. To this, I do not object.

Final note: I don't really expect that BBM will replace WhatsApp. I wish it, but I don't expect it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 05:29 PM
    You don't use WhatsApp?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Nope, don't really use BBM and don't even have whatsapp installed...

09-21-16 05:53 PM
    I don't call it convenience when I have to delete pictures from my picture library just because I wanted to see them in WhatsApp. Yes you are right, if in a single person chat someone sends you 20 pictures you'll have to save them individually. I prefer it this way. You don't and that is fine.

The request HD picture function is something I am rather indifferent to. If they would change it to straight HD then I wouldn't object. But you know what... WhatsApp doesn't even allow sending of pictures in their original quality... so guess what. BBM is better here! WhatsApp also compresses the pictures... take a look at the file size of pictures you received. And you don't get any choice in it either. Maybe WhatsApp should learn from BBM here.

I get that convenience is important to people. To me, maintaining some control is more important. This is why BBM is better.

Sharing in BBM Groups is suboptimal, I agree. There are no full quality versions. However, sharing in multi-person chat does indeed fall back to single person chat. This is to offer the request HD picture function. To this, I do not object.

Final note: I don't really expect that BBM will replace WhatsApp. I wish it, but I don't expect it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Well BBM has the HD feature is great undoubtedly!
    But the default compression on BBM is way too low compared to WhatsApp which is why I am saying WhatsApp is better in that regard
    HD by default would use up a lot of data and time
    I absolutely agree with the control part
    What they could do is have the option to select multiple photos and save at once
    Plus auto save should be there as an option. Everyone stays happy that way

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 10:29 PM
    Nope, don't really use BBM and don't even have whatsapp installed...

(y)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 10:30 PM
    I'm not sure I'm ready to order all of my international friends to install BBM just to cover a month or so period between BB10 losing whatsaopp and me getting the new droidberry PKB.

I'd sooner tell peeps to use FB messenger in the interim.

09-22-16 08:23 AM
    Is it really such a big No for all of you to just run the Android Whatsapp on your Blackberries as a stopgap measure for 2 Months?
    I know that that is what I will do after New Year.
    10-02-16 12:15 AM
    Is it really such a big No for all of you to just run the Android Whatsapp on your Blackberries as a stopgap measure for 2 Months?
    I know that that is what I will do after New Year.
    The thing is... there is no guarantee it will still work in 2017...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 01:12 AM
    You don't use WhatsApp?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Here in Holland almost everybody's live is managed by Whatsapp. My cousin in NJ only installed it because I asked him to, so we can do fast communication so once in a while. He doesn't use it otherwise
    10-02-16 01:34 AM
    Here in Holland almost everybody's live is managed by Whatsapp. My cousin in NJ only installed it because I asked him to, so we can do fast communication so once in a while. He doesn't use it otherwise
    Same thing in India
    Everyone uses WhatsApp for everything
    I know only one person in addition to me who doesn't have WhatsApp on his phone.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-02-16 02:34 AM
    I know only one person in addition to me who doesn't have WhatsApp on his phone.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Me too! LOL!!!
    10-02-16 03:05 AM
    Exactly, in the USA, we pretty much all have unlimited texting and calling anyway, lol.

10-02-16 03:59 PM
    I had never even heard of whatapp until I bought my passport a month ago. Never plan to use it either.

Passport!
    10-02-16 04:19 PM
56 123