Somebody is not setting up or using phone properly.
    I'm running a Priv with only 32 GB. 50 something apps and am only using 4.05 GB
    There are currently about 20 cell phones with 256 available.
    Almost 800 with 32
    Almost 400 with 64, available
    Less than 150 with 128 available
    Of those, most don't have SD card support.
    The 625 is made for single channel DDR3, but not actually optimized for any set size. The manufacturer can install whatever size single channel DDR3 they want, (within reason, I don't know that 2TB would work).
    Last edited by Wezard; 03-16-17 at 08:00 PM.
    03-16-17 07:44 PM
    If you are using apps that cannot put their data on the SD card yell at the developer. Any sane developer allows you to specify. I have an offline mapping application (Copilot) that has well north of 2Gb of data loaded, but it's all on the SD card.

Ditto for other data-centric apps....

The other option is (of course) to set the card as adopted storage, but if you do that and the card takes an error you're screwed -- everything on the device is GONE and you're forced to factory reset.
    03-16-17 09:15 PM
    Not sure though why they would manufacture a $600 smartphone only to leave buyer with 5-10% internal storage space remaining after installing then required apps. A few updates and one is low on space. Storage space is cheap these days. Does not hurt manufacturer to give us a little more space. Most low end smartphones out of China these days come with 64GB,128GB or 256GB of storage space.Blackberry should get with the program but I understand why they make these dumb mistakes because the CEO is from Taiwan and Taiwanese are known to be stingy and cutting corners (Just look at HTC lol..)
    Spreading a bit of misinformation there, eh?

I have a couple of games and a bunch of apps (during the last update I saw "Optimizing app x of 110), Camera set to save images and videos to internal storage and after 7 months of usage 15.9 GB used of 23.86 on my Priv, of that 9.02 GB used for apps.

Most low end phones come with 256 GB of storage? These are the only ones listed on GSMArena, and you'll notice there isn't a lot of low-end ones lol:
    Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
    The Huawei Mate 9 Porsche Design is the only one which normally comes with 256 GB (i.e. not as a higher-priced option), and that phone is over 1500 $.

Also, what's with bashing BB all the time? Stingy Taiwanese? WTH? iPhones and Pixels are quite a bit pricier than Priv or KEYone and start at 32 GB of storage with no SD slot. And I'm not into paying an additional 100 $ for 96 GB more to be able to store my music and videos when I can buy a 128 GB card for 30-50 or even a 200 GB one for 70 $.
    There are some phones which do start at 64 GB like OnePlus 3T, but most of them also don't have an SD slot.

The other option is (of course) to set the card as adopted storage, but if you do that and the card takes an error you're screwed -- everything on the device is GONE and you're forced to factory reset.
    You're also exaggerating a bit today. I'm pretty sure the devs at AOSP took the possibility of card removal and malfunctions into consideration. Too bad I didn't remember to test this when I had a new phone. Sure, if the card dies you would "lose" the apps and other data stored on the SD, but according to this no factory reset is needed nor does any real disaster happen.

"If you remove the card, you will get a special message, reminding you that your apps will fail to work, and you will also be unable to take screenshots. If you happen to lose the microSD card, you can ask the phone to “forget” it, but be warned that this will result in all of the data on the card to be lost forever!"
    What is Android's Adoptable / Flex storage?
    03-17-17 03:20 AM
    When are the BlackBerry 10 superphones coming out again? After this KeyOne?
    03-17-17 06:47 AM
    By definition if you have adopted storage then you have no control of what apps go where any more. Anything you install may go into internal storage, the card, or both. Loss of the card's integrity for any reason means loss of everything on it of course and in practice if the loss is not correctable (e.g. the card is damaged or lost .vs. being accidentally removed and able to be replaced) you will find yourself wanting to hard-reset the device.

"Unexpected" removal during a write-cycle is especially bad news because SD cards have no power-loss protection. Due to how NAND flash works corruption is quite likely if this happens, which is why "ejecting" before you remove a card (allowing the OS to flush buffers and then stop I/O to the device by unmounting it) is important.

SD cards are great but understanding their limitations is important. I personally find the trade-offs for adoptable storage to not be worth it, but I do have one in my phone that I use for data storage purposes, and very much like the fact that I can remove and replace it if there's a problem or I simply want to copy data on or off it on an external device.
    03-17-17 07:03 AM
    http://m.androidcentral.com/inside-m...ptable-storage

A good explanation of what's going on.
    03-17-17 07:20 AM
    Motorola puts a rather prominent "WARNING - Do Not Remove SD Card if formatted as internal, something, something, corrupt, something something".
    03-17-17 07:24 AM
    By definition if you have adopted storage then you have no control of what apps go where any more. Anything you install may go into internal storage, the card, or both. Loss of the card's integrity for any reason means loss of everything on it of course and in practice if the loss is not correctable (e.g. the card is damaged or lost .vs. being accidentally removed and able to be replaced) you will find yourself wanting to hard-reset the device.

"Unexpected" removal during a write-cycle is especially bad news because SD cards have no power-loss protection. Due to how NAND flash works corruption is quite likely if this happens, which is why "ejecting" before you remove a card (allowing the OS to flush buffers and then stop I/O to the device by unmounting it) is important.

SD cards are great but understanding their limitations is important. I personally find the trade-offs for adoptable storage to not be worth it, but I do have one in my phone that I use for data storage purposes, and very much like the fact that I can remove and replace it if there's a problem or I simply want to copy data on or off it on an external device.
    Sure you have control. You can move any app you like to the internal storage, e.g. you can put all the important apps to the internal storage, games and similar large and irrelevant things to adopted and have no worries in case something goes wrong. When an app is moved to SD, all its data is also moved. System apps can't be moved to the SD etc. It's not all mixed up and random as you make it to be.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...ng_storage_in/

Plus, apps' data gets backed up automatically which also somewhat alleviates problems if the card gets damaged.
    Also, I never had any kind of problems with any SD cards I've used. It happens, sure, but it's not like there's a 50 % chance a card will fail within two or three years.

I agree that there isn't much point in using it on a 32+ GB device, aside from encryption which is unfortunately otherwise not supported for cards on Android. On a phone with 16 or less GB of storage, I'd use it for sure.
    03-17-17 08:06 AM

Sure you have control. You can move any app you like to the internal storage, e.g. you can put all the important apps to the internal storage, games and similar large and irrelevant things to adopted and have no worries in case something goes wrong. When an app is moved to SD, all its data is also moved. System apps can't be moved to the SD etc. It's not all mixed up and random as you make it to be.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...ng_storage_in/

Plus, apps' data gets backed up automatically to Google Drive which also somewhat alleviates problems if the card gets damaged.
    Also, I never had any kind of problems with any SD cards I've used. It happens, sure, but it's not like there's a 50 % chance a card will fail within two or three years.

I agree that there isn't much point in using it on a 32+ GB device, aside from encryption which is unfortunately otherwise not supported for cards on Android. On a phone with 16 or less GB of storage, I would probably use it.
    03-17-17 08:06 AM
    App data is not automatically backed up. The app developer has to register the intent for that to work and a lot of app developers don't.

SOME apps automatically back up (if you have the option enabled) is a more-accurate description......

In the many years I've been using SD cards in devices (going all the way back to some of the original HTC and T-Mobile "smartphones") I've had several cards fail. I've had one failure between my Priv and DTEK60.

I've also had several cards (3, to date) fail on Raspberry Pis under fairly heavy workloads which prompted me to shift to a "no volatile data" storage model for production units that I have in the field (of which there are a LOT); they now boot and run read-only with volatile data either pushed somewhere else or on RAMdisk, which removes write-cycle requirements except during firmware updates. Oh, and then there are two that have failed in my cameras -- one in a video camera, and the other in my Canon 5d3. Yes, both got (and get!) very heavy use and were full-sized SD cards (rather than MicroSD); no difference there other than size, however.

All of the failures in recent years have been Sandisk, which were what I used to exclusively use. I've now started using some of the Samsung EVO+ series, and thus far, no failures -- but does that mean they're superior. Probably not -- I simply don't have enough time on them yet to know.
    03-17-17 08:08 AM
    Lets not forget that SD cards have a much lower capacity for read/write cycles before they fail. So even the best cards will 'wear out' faster when used as internal, where a whole lot more cycles are going to take place.
    I'd be curious to know what the average # of cycles per day is in both setups. I'm guessing that 10X times on internal would be low.
    03-17-17 08:28 AM
    App data is not automatically backed up. The app developer has to register the intent for that to work and a lot of app developers don't.

SOME apps automatically back up (if you have the option enabled) is a more-accurate description......
    Well, I've got 85 apps in my Google Drive "Priv backup" folder, so it's more like "MOST apps automatically back up", if we'll be nitpicking. Also, as far as I can see, most that are missing from that list are ones that have their own ways of backup or are linked to online accounts etc.

All in all, seems like I'd lose very little if something were to happen to my phone, adoptable storage or whatever.
    03-17-17 08:49 AM
    the problem is not the 32gb capacity. The problem is the emmc5.1 standard instead of ufs2.0 because are 2x faster! But it's a limitation of snap 625
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-17-17 09:54 AM
    When are the BlackBerry 10 superphones coming out again? After this KeyOne?
    Let's think this through as to who might do this. It won't be BlackBerry because they have left the hardware business after they couldn't make a profit on BB10 devices and are now focused on MDM and Android software. And it won't be any of the three companies they've licensed to make BlackBerry Android phones. ...
    03-17-17 10:07 AM
    Spreading a bit of misinformation there, eh?

I have a couple of games and a bunch of apps (during the last update I saw "Optimizing app x of 110), Camera set to save images and videos to internal storage and after 7 months of usage 15.9 GB used of 23.86 on my Priv, of that 9.02 GB used for apps.

Most low end phones come with 256 GB of storage? These are the only ones listed on GSMArena, and you'll notice there isn't a lot of low-end ones lol:
    Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
    The Huawei Mate 9 Porsche Design is the only one which normally comes with 256 GB (i.e. not as a higher-priced option), and that phone is over 1500 $.

Also, what's with bashing BB all the time? Stingy Taiwanese? WTH? iPhones and Pixels are quite a bit pricier than Priv or KEYone and start at 32 GB of storage with no SD slot. And I'm not into paying an additional 100 $ for 96 GB more to be able to store my music and videos when I can buy a 128 GB card for 30-50 or even a 200 GB one for 70 $.
    There are some phones which do start at 64 GB like OnePlus 3T, but most of them also don't have an SD slot.
    Also, what's with bashing BB all the time? Stingy Taiwanese? WTH?
    HTC comes to mind and the CEO of Blackberry. Anyone that knows the locals well in Taiwan knows that many can be quite stingy. I think Blackberry would do well with sales and improve sales if they offered better specs which compete with their competitors instead of offering similar or lower specd smartphones. Does not hurt to offer 64gb or 128gb versions as well. Those that do not want to spend that money can buy a lower end model of which they offer or keep their old smartphone. I think it is better to give the end user/consumer options to choose from. Different people have different needs just like when you go to buy a drink S/M/L/XL and same with clothes. Cars and car options as well where they offer different engines etc..

iPhones and Pixels are quite a bit pricier than Priv or KEYone and start at 32 GB of storage with no SD slot. And I'm not into paying an additional 100 $ for 96 GB more to be able to store my music and videos when I can buy a 128 GB card for 30-50 or even a 200 GB one for 70 $.
    iPhone and Pixels are not Taiwanese and do come with larger storage options where people do not run out of room storing apps on their devices. As for prices each manufacturer should offer a high end model and low end model for those who want to save money on their next smartphone. Most people that buy a new Smartphone would like to see an upgrade with better specs.
    03-17-17 11:17 AM
    I think Blackberry would do well with sales and improve sales if they offered better specs which compete with their competitors instead of offering similar or lower specd smartphones. Does not hurt to offer 64gb or 128gb versions as well. Those that do not want to spend that money can buy a lower end model of which they offer or keep their old smartphone. I think it is better to give the end user/consumer options to choose from. Different people have different needs just like when you go to buy a drink S/M/L/XL and same with clothes. Cars and car options as well where they offer different engines etc..
    They offered Priv with as high-end specs as was possible at the time and people still complained and whined how it was overpriced despite the fact it was priced about the same as competitors from Samsung, Apple and Google.

iPhone and Pixels are not Taiwanese and do come with larger storage options where people do not run out of room storing apps on their devices. As for prices each manufacturer should offer a high end model and low end model for those who want to save money on their next smartphone. Most people that buy a new Smartphone would like to see an upgrade with better specs.
    It's not that I would mind storage options, but IMO they are pretty much useless if you have an SD slot. 32 GB is enough for apps for 99 % of people, some might need 64 if they want to have every game on the Play Store, but I don't think that's the purpose of KEYone.
    03-17-17 11:39 AM
    They offered Priv with as high-end specs as was possible at the time and people still complained and whined how it was overpriced despite the fact it was priced about the same as competitors from Samsung, Apple and Google.

It's not that I would mind storage options, but IMO they are pretty much useless if you have an SD slot. 32 GB is enough for apps for 99 % of people, some might need 64 if they want to have every game on the Play Store, but I don't think that's the purpose of KEYone.
    I have a Galaxy S6 Edge which came with an internal storage capacity of 64GB and of the at 64GB 33.58 of it is used. Total space available is showing 30.42
    I do not have any games on there either. It is showing me as having used 6.73GB for Apps,10.05GB for pictures and Videos and 30.13MB for audio. If you do not use any chat apps like WeChat,Line,Whatsapp,Kakao Talk etc.. then 32gb may be enough but otherwise it is far from enough because I am over that now. The video, audio and images use up quite a bit of space on chat apps. Those need to go on the internal storage as they are part of the chat app. Your personal videos, audio and images can be saved on the storage card if you have one of which mine are.
    03-19-17 11:35 AM
    Put the pictures and audio on the SD card. There is utterly no reason NOT to do so.

Now you've got better than half your space remaining.

If you use an app that doesn't allow images and such to go on the SD card complain to the app developer. I have a metric ton of images -- and all are on the SD card.
    03-19-17 07:36 PM
    I have a Galaxy S6 Edge which came with an internal storage capacity of 64GB and of the at 64GB 33.58 of it is used. Total space available is showing 30.42
    I do not have any games on there either. It is showing me as having used 6.73GB for Apps,10.05GB for pictures and Videos and 30.13MB for audio. If you do not use any chat apps like WeChat,Line,Whatsapp,Kakao Talk etc.. then 32gb may be enough but otherwise it is far from enough because I am over that now. The video, audio and images use up quite a bit of space on chat apps. Those need to go on the internal storage as they are part of the chat app. Your personal videos, audio and images can be saved on the storage card if you have one of which mine are.
    You're not quite right and I agree with @tickerguy.

WhatsApp, for instance, doesn't store received media privately, i.e. they're not "part of the app" and they could just as well be stored to the SD card. WA in fact used to store media to the SD card but they changed that at some point. Possibly because cards aren't encrypted, IDK, but they could have offered an option to set it otherwise.

BBM by default saves images only to "its private storage" meaning they really are part of the app and can't be accessed from anywhere but from BBM; and they are stored to the shared memory only if you manually select that option when you receive a picture.

My point is that you can just move files from WhatsApp's media folder to your SD card periodically and problem pretty much solved. Can't say for the other apps you mentioned as I don't use them, but it's probably the same.
    03-20-17 03:06 AM
69 123