Does the "frustration free" package here mean that it could be defective or have other problems?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micro...UvbUpU12801811
    03-12-17 04:56 PM
    Does the "frustration free" package here mean that it could be defective or have other problems?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micro...UvbUpU12801813
    Just a meaningless term coined by Amazon. Allegedly the packaging is easier to open then say clamshell packaging.
    mona5804 likes this.
    03-12-17 05:00 PM
    Sandisk or Samsung EVO series. Both have been solid in my phones but IMHO the Samsungs are actually better in terms of reliability in high-write environments. I've killed *THREE* Sandisk cards in my Pi2s over the last couple of years, but not ONE of the Samsungs I have here has crapped out....

Hmmmm....
    mona5804 likes this.
    03-12-17 05:23 PM
    Just a meaningless term coined by Amazon. Allegedly the packaging is easier to open then say clamshell packaging.
    It is. Generally it means it comes in an easily-opened cardboard box. There may or may not even be tape on it. I think the ones I've gotten haven't had any.
    03-12-17 06:02 PM
    32gb internal + 64gb mem card for me.. and with storage to spare..

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 06:04 PM
    But, but, no Google Cloud! Google is evil! lol
    What are the odds that a "BlackBerry Cloud" shortcut for Google Drive would ameliorate most of those complaints?
    Wezard likes this.
    03-12-17 06:06 PM
    What are the odds that a "BlackBerry Cloud" shortcut for Google Drive would ameliorate most of those complaints?
    Guess depends if BlackBerry lives long enough to become the villain.
    03-12-17 09:12 PM
    Last year a new class rating for microSD cards was introduced specifically for Apps use. The difference from usual ratings is that the A class specifies the number of I/O operations per second which is important for the purpose.
    That doesn't mean that some cards that aren't A1 rated won't satisfy those requirements or work well with Adoptable storage, but you never know unless you read some reviews and see their test results. Or buy it and then see that it doesn't work well. A1 rated cards are supposedly built for this so...

Anyway, I know SanDisk has an A1 card on offer:
    SANDISK EXTREME microSDXC and microSDHC UHS-I CARDS
    mad_mdx likes this.
    03-13-17 01:41 AM
    03-13-17 02:08 AM
    Can anyone confirm 100% that you can in fact install apps on the SD Card on android 7.1? The way you guys talk in these forums to each other doesn't really help new comers to get concrete information they are looking for.
    It is possible since Android 6.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-17 02:41 AM
    SanDisk has never let me down. It should be a class 10 card. Sandisk Ultra are the ones I use. I've had issues with other cards becoming corrupted.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-17 06:11 AM
    Sandisk or Samsung seem to both be highly praised here with no complaints. But beware of counterfeits, lots of them out there. Even from normally reputable vendors.
    Here's a good tool to verify SD cards, I highly recommend checking card before putting all your 'stuff' on it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ogic.sdi&hl=en
    And keep in mind that if you make it internal storage, any apps on the card WILL be a bit slower, you will not be able to remove the card a use it in another phone or PC, and if the card goes bad, your phone is seriously crippled.
    Unless you keep financial records, or pics/vids of stuff you REALLY shouldn't be doing on the card, security of card contents isn't much of an issue.
    03-13-17 06:44 AM
    Sandisk seems to have a better reputation amongst the data recovery crowd. I've used Lexar and ADATA, both went poof in my Priv.

As for OP's question, been without issues with the 32GB in my Priv, I just use an SD card to store media, and reserve primary storage for apps.
    Think that's a better solution than using the SD Card for adoptable storage....
    Adam Frix and ubizmo like this.
    03-13-17 07:16 AM
    Sometimes undeleted emails or lots of email attachments can gobble up internal memory super fast. But having the ability to use a micro sd card is ace.
    03-13-17 12:55 PM
    Think that's a better solution than using the SD Card for adoptable storage....
    Yeah, given the quality of SD cards lately, would be REALLY annoying if a card goes dead.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-13-17 01:10 PM
    I was about to make a comment about how 128GB should be the norm for flagships, but I see that the device being discussed here, the Mercury, is a mid-ranger. Though this phone is not of my interest, I can agree that it would have been better off with 64GB of internal storage. There are similar complaints going on for the LG G6, and their unfair move for making the North American handsets available with only 32GB, while markets like Asia and Europe are getting 64GB.
    03-13-17 01:27 PM
    All those photos we've taken on the pixel, 32gb isn't enough thankfully the KEYone has expandable memory.

Keeping costs down and less skus probably helps?

Having said that If there was a 64gb I probably would go for that.

I'm not sure there would be a premium version of this by years end though

Posted via CB10
    03-16-17 05:19 AM
    Note that more memory = more power consumption. Chips consume power, even when idle, although flash consumes less (by a lot!) than RAM does. 32Gb is plenty to hold apps, where performance matters. I've got nearly 100 apps on my DTEK60 and I'm using 14 of 32Gb -- or slightly less than half. For bulk data storage (e.g. photos, map files, etc) performance is a non-issue so long as you can store to it faster than required (e.g. for video recording) and removability is a BIG plus over fixed-in-place flash.

32Gb will eventually wind up not being enough, but that's 5+ years down the road under present trends. Due to how US band expansion works (e.g. 600Mhz, which will be next) you will be effectively forced to replace this handset in 3-5 years anyway (just as has happened to anyone who didn't have Band12 a few years ago when T-Mobile started blanketing that spectrum) if you want acceptable data performance.
    zensen likes this.
    03-16-17 08:03 AM
    All those photos we've taken on the pixel, 32gb isn't enough thankfully the KEYone has expandable memory.

Keeping costs down and less skus probably helps?

Having said that If there was a 64gb I probably would go for that.

I'm not sure there would be a premium version of this by years end though

Posted via CB10
    I think that's what the infinite Google Photos deal for the Pixel was for.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-16-17 01:59 PM
    SanDisk is pretty good. I put a 128gb card on my wife's DTEK50. No issues with running apps off of it.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2163 / Telus
    03-16-17 04:01 PM
    But, but, no Google Cloud! Google is evil! lol
    Yes, Google is evil. Why would anyone place their private info on a cloud when they can place the info on a memory card or sync with their own laptop.
    03-16-17 05:57 PM
    Note that more memory = more power consumption. Chips consume power, even when idle, although flash consumes less (by a lot!) than RAM does. 32Gb is plenty to hold apps, where performance matters. I've got nearly 100 apps on my DTEK60 and I'm using 14 of 32Gb -- or slightly less than half. For bulk data storage (e.g. photos, map files, etc) performance is a non-issue so long as you can store to it faster than required (e.g. for video recording) and removability is a BIG plus over fixed-in-place flash.

32Gb will eventually wind up not being enough, but that's 5+ years down the road under present trends. Due to how US band expansion works (e.g. 600Mhz, which will be next) you will be effectively forced to replace this handset in 3-5 years anyway (just as has happened to anyone who didn't have Band12 a few years ago when T-Mobile started blanketing that spectrum) if you want acceptable data performance.
    I probably have 30 apps or less and am using over 20gb of storage space already. Not sure what apps you have. Chat apps with images and audio conversations use data space up pretty quickly
    03-16-17 06:00 PM
    I probably have 30 apps or less and am using over 20gb of storage space already. Not sure what apps you have. Chat apps with images and audio conversations use data space up pretty quickly
    I have close to 70 apps on my DTEK50 and still have 2.25 of free internal memory. I use an SD card to store as much app data as I can.
    03-16-17 06:07 PM
    I have close to 70 apps on my DTEK50 and still have 2.25 of free internal memory. I use an SD card to store as much app data as I can.
    Not sure though why they would manufacture a $600 smartphone only to leave buyer with 5-10% internal storage space remaining after installing then required apps. A few updates and one is low on space. Storage space is cheap these days. Does not hurt manufacturer to give us a little more space. Most low end smartphones out of China these days come with 64GB,128GB or 256GB of storage space.Blackberry should get with the program but I understand why they make these dumb mistakes because the CEO is from Taiwan and Taiwanese are known to be stingy and cutting corners (Just look at HTC lol..)
    03-16-17 06:27 PM
    Not sure though why they would manufacture a $600 smartphone only to leave buyer with 5-10% internal storage space remaining after installing then required apps. A few updates and one is low on space. Storage space is cheap these days. Does not hurt manufacturer to give us a little more space. Most low end smartphones out of China these days come with 64GB,128GB or 256GB of storage space.Blackberry should get with the program but I understand why they make these dumb mistakes because the CEO is from Taiwan and Taiwanese are known to be stingy and cutting corners (Just look at HTC lol..)
    The available memory is based on the processor. The 625 comes with 32 GB and that's what the processor is optimized for.

I forget to mention that my DTEK50 has only 16 GB, so I don't think moving up to 32 GB will be an issue.
    03-16-17 06:36 PM
69 123