OK, so it's your opinion. What I don't understand is why are you people all over threads like this as if somehow it is a superior attitude to expect nothing, even when it's promised? Seriously...is that the best response you guys can come up with?

Deflating completely valid expectations with cynicism...sure, it's an argument I suppose. Just not a convincing one. Particularly when we are supposed to believe that same attitude, by some strange miracle, got the product into your hands and your money into TCL's pockets.
    You keep saying talking about having low expectations, but I had very high expectations for my KEYone, which have already been met. BlackBerry Mobile got my money for the design and implementation of the device with DTEK and the Hub+ Suite on Nougat. An upgrade to Oreo would be great, but I won't care if it doesn't come, either.

Just because you think an OS upgrade matters doesn't mean it should to anyone else.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-22-18 02:22 PM
    I have reasonable doubts k1 will ever get Oreo. TCL has a tendency of abandoning major updates for an older model when the next one arrives. Some people say Oreo update in spring, but k2 will arrive with Oreo around that time and BB Mobile will keep pushing security updates for a while but will never upgrade k1 to Oreo. I'd be happy to be proven wrong
    Hallelujah!! someone who appears to be able to see beyond the 'hype' and the 'smoke and mirrors' being used here!!!
    'IF' it happens, not 'When', is the watchword....
    I have no faith at all that Keyone will see 'O'.... time will tell though.
    Think the only way to get 'O' will be to buy the 'newest Blackberry, out soon!!'
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 02:44 PM
    I have reasonable doubts k1 will ever get Oreo. TCL has a tendency of abandoning major updates for an older model when the next one arrives. Some people say Oreo update in spring, but k2 will arrive with Oreo around that time and BB Mobile will keep pushing security updates for a while but will never upgrade k1 to Oreo. I'd be happy to be proven wrong
    What devices has this happened with?
    01-22-18 02:50 PM
    Your Oreo will be available when you purchase KEYTWO cause nothing sells new Android phone better than software update. Sad state.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 02:54 PM
    I bought my KEYone in August. I have no idea when they made the statement, as it wasn't a factor in my decision. Oreo looks to have significant improvements over Nougat, especially in the management of notifications, but I won't make more money with Oreo than Nougat, so, as a business investment, it wasn't a relevant decision. If they'd announced no upgrade to Oreo, I still would have bought my KEYone.

The Oreo update was reported here August 21 to be exact. As I recall you had quite a lot to say about TCL's public statements on the Oreo upgrade issue, including your staunch defence of the editor-in-chief for posting the news. You ordered yours about a week later. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. Lol.

https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...e-android-oreo
    Last edited by panopticon; 01-22-18 at 07:08 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 03:22 PM
    The Nougat update was reported here August 21 to be exact. As I recall you had quite a lot to say about TCL's public statements on the Nougat upgrade issue, including your staunch defence of the editor-in-chief for posting the news. You ordered yours about a week later. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. Lol.

Actually, I made the decision to buy a KEYone around the same time. I believe the decision for a few of us here in the USA was simple. AT&T began offering the phone as carrier device. I've said the same thing about updates, security or the OS. They don't factor into my purchase decisions either because I buy carrier locked.
    01-22-18 03:45 PM
    Actually, I made the decision to buy a KEYone around the same time. I believe the decision for a few of us here in the USA was simple. AT&T began offering the phone as carrier device. I've said the same thing about updates, security or the OS. They don't factor into my purchase decisions either because I buy carrier locked.
    Sure, the Oreo announcement, timed right before a hugely important US carrier release, surely didn't influence you. Why would I question that? You guys were only all over it at the time for the sheer sport of letting everyone here know how much you didn't care.

My bad.
    Last edited by panopticon; 01-22-18 at 07:08 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 04:11 PM
    Sure, the Nougat announcement, timed right before a hugely important US carrier release, surely didn't influence you. Why would I question that? You guys were only all over it at the time for the sheer sport of letting everyone here know how much you didn't care.

My bad.
    Since I have a carrier device with AT&T, I typically don't see OS updates. With that in mind, do I care and why?
    01-22-18 04:18 PM
    can someone explain to me please what the excitement is over Oreo? how will it make my K1 better/faster/cooler etc. I think my K1 is pretty darn great now. please fill me in.
    Nels likes this.
    01-22-18 04:28 PM
    Since I have a carrier device with AT&T, I typically don't see OS updates. With that in mind, do I care and why?
    Of course not. You picked one up after the Oreo announcement for $16 a month. For that kind of money I wouldn't care either.
    Last edited by panopticon; 01-22-18 at 07:07 PM.
    01-22-18 05:37 PM
    The Nougat update was reported here August 21 to be exact. As I recall you had quite a lot to say about TCL's public statements on the Nougat upgrade issue, including your staunch defence of the editor-in-chief for posting the news. You ordered yours about a week later. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. Lol.

I was waiting for AT&T and bought it on launch day. I posted my test plan months before. I'm not fibbing when I say the Oreo upgrade had nothing to do with my decision. If you want, I'll dig up the posts.

I posted the following on April 13, 2017:

"I am currently a satisfied BB10 user, but I recognize that BB10 is now a legacy OS, and that, sometime in the next 1-3 years, I will need to find another mobile platform. I re-evaluate my technology needs each June-July and make any appropriate purchases/changes.

I have already decided to buy a KEYone within 60 days of launch, or after the first major patch/update. It will be the first time I've seriously test driven an Android phone since Lollipop. It's by far the most compelling Android phone I've seen, in terms of specs and features.

This is a big deal for me. I work for myself, and my income is directly tied to my daily efficiency and effectiveness. In the course of a typical 24-hour day, I work actively on my phone for 4-6 hours, so my ONLY criteria for which phone to carry is how effectively it helps me sell and deliver my business consulting services to my corporate clients. I don't care, even a little bit, about consumer-oriented services when it comes to choosing a phone. (For example, it has never occurred to me that I might want to use Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, or WhatsApp on my phone! )...."
    01-22-18 06:10 PM
    Of course not. You picked one up after the Nougat announcement for $16 a month. For that kind of money I wouldn't care either.
    Why do you keep bringing up Nougat? I'm on Nougat. It came with Nougat? It will stay on Nougat probably? What are you getting at?
    01-22-18 07:01 PM
    Why do you keep bringing up Nougat? I'm on Nougat. It came with Nougat? It will stay on Nougat probably? What are you getting at?
    Ha ha....Oreo, sorry. Oops. How do we even know what we're arguing about anyway? Lol
    01-22-18 07:06 PM
    I really haven't a clue what point he's making. I announced I would buy the phone in April as soon as it launched at AT&T, and then I bought it on launch day, like I said I would four months earlier. He seems obsessed with Android version upgrades, which to me, aren't an issue. I'm happy to get Oreo, but there's no way I would make a purchase decision about a promised OS upgrade. If that mattered to me, I would simply wait for it to happen.

01-22-18 07:06 PM
    I really haven't a clue what point he's making. I announced I would buy the phone in April as soon as it launched at AT&T, and then I bought it on launch day, like I said I would four months earlier. He seems obsessed with Android version upgrades, which to me, aren't an issue. I'm happy to get Oreo, but there's no way I would make a purchase decision about a promised OS upgrade. If that mattered to me, I would simply wait for it to happen.

I had to go back and edit some posts. I was actually referring to Oreo. Sorry about the confusion. Lol.
    01-22-18 07:19 PM
    After bb10, PlayBook and priv I had enough of the broken promises. Hub suite and keyboard on an s8 plus (monthly updates and Oreo coming) was definitely the right call for myself.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 07:31 PM
    I had to go back and edit some posts. I was actually referring to Oreo. Sorry about the confusion. Lol.
    I used to do that between M and N on a bunch of posts.

But, seriously, I don't think too much about version upgrades. In many cases upgrades degrade performance. Apple's upgrades, in particular, practically brick older phones!

The upgrade from Android L to M was a critical one because of the improvements in permission handling, and I genuinely like the efforts the Android team is making to enforce app standards, but, I hate the OS interface and try to use it as little as possible. The keyboard shortcuts on the KEYone and the Hub make it so I rarely have to push the Home button and use the OS.

01-22-18 07:53 PM
    I used to do that between M and N on a bunch of posts.

But, seriously, I don't think too much about version upgrades. In many cases upgrades degrade performance. Apple's upgrades, in particular, practically brick older phones!

The upgrade from Android L to M was a critical one because of the improvements in permission handling, and I'm genuinely like the efforts the Android team is making to enforce app standards, but, I hate the OS interface and try to use it as little as possible. The keyboard shortcuts on the KEYone and the Hub make it so I rarely have to push the Home button and use the OS.

Ha ha maybe it's contagious Lol. The only reason I'm really making an issue of it is because it was a legitimate commitment by TCL. I find it hard to believe that anyone who knew about it (and purchased after August 21) would not even have considered it in their decision-making process. Particularly given all the gripes we have seen here about the PRIV and the DTEKs...
    01-22-18 08:58 PM
    Ha ha maybe it's contagious Lol. The only reason I'm really making an issue of it is because it was a legitimate commitment by TCL. I find it hard to believe that anyone who knew about it (and purchased after August 21) would not even have considered it in their decision-making process. Particularly given all the gripes we have seen here about the PRIV and the DTEKs...
    I own AT&T PRIV and both of the DTEK as well. I only buy factory unlocked when AT&T doesn't offer the device. I was gung-ho about factory unlocked after buying the Z30 and Leap unlocked. I've bought a few different factory unlocked devices from different sources but the quicker updates don't offset the lack of carrier support and privileges.
    01-22-18 09:24 PM
    I see what you're saying. I agree it was a clear commitment by the BlackBerry Mobile team, and it would be very disappointing if they didn't follow through. But that's still not the same as a legal commitment, which is the bar I set for my expectations. I need to "get it in writing" in a legally binding form before I count on anything.

As for my purchase after the announcement about Oreo coming to the KEYone, it didn't factor into my decision for the simple reason that I had already made my decision months earlier with no expectation of getting Oreo, so the announcement, while welcome, didn't alter anything for me.

Also, while I disagree with Blackberry's decision not to continue patching the Priv so long as Android patches M, I don't think it's a problem at all that the Priv wasn't upgraded to Nougat.

01-22-18 09:30 PM
    I've been getting regular update for several months. much better that with a VZW device!
    01-23-18 09:27 AM
    Be careful what you wish for

My Google Pixel XL 2 is running 8.1, and it still has bluetooth issues,
    Google was supposed to have sorted this out when it upgraded from Oreo 8.0
    The problem is all over Pixel forums

My BMW 640 d has a better blue tooth connection with my BlackBerry Passport, clearly shows all texts and emails, as did my KEYone

The update from Marshmallow to Nought was a big difference

Don't see a huge difference in Nought to Oreo, or maybe that's me..

Posted via CB10
    01-23-18 01:10 PM
    Finally got sick of waiting for the latest security patch from Telus so I sideloaded Oreo 8.0 (latest official Beta) to my Essential PH-1 today. BlackBerry launcher looks VERY sweet on that screen, well done BlackBerry (Essential?).

Nothing too major but there are a few neat tweaks in Oreo and some suble differences in the UI, settings menu, general look and feel, and a few new features. etc. Even a quasi file manager. Lol.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-23-18 04:42 PM
    Finally got sick of waiting for the latest security patch from Telus so I sideloaded Oreo 8.0 (latest official Beta) to my Essential PH-1 today. BlackBerry launcher looks VERY sweet on that screen, well done BlackBerry (Essential?).

Nothing too major but there are a few neat tweaks in Oreo and some suble differences in the UI, settings menu, general look and feel, and a few new features. etc. Even a quasi file manager. Lol.
    I'm hoping the notifications management is improved. But I haven't been following it closely.

01-23-18 05:15 PM
    I'm hoping the notifications management is improved. But I haven't been following it closely.

For some reason they grouped Apps and Notifications together, so you have to dig a little deeper to find the options. This is what the menu looks like, as well as for BlackBerry Hub and Services app (just using that one as an example). There are also a bunch of new options under the Do Not Disturb menu...

01-23-18 05:31 PM
118 12345