Haven't had it before oreo update. And yes i did both factory reset and hard reset.

The bug is:
    Sometimes when i type in text in WhatsApp, the text is invisible. I have to close the app and open it again to see it and send messages.
    Happened multiple times already. Last time was when i unlocked the phone and immediately started to type into the text box
    10-01-18 11:45 AM
    i can't be the only one. i have prd036 and oreo. anyone else?
    10-03-18 02:48 PM
    I have the same prd and I am also using whatsapp on oreo. I am not facing your problem - and I didn't even do a clean install.

Maybe try a third party on screen keyboard to see, whether it's a thing about blackberry keyboard?
    Otherwise I would suggest another wipe.
    10-03-18 04:48 PM
    I have the same prd and I am also using whatsapp on oreo. I am not facing your problem - and I didn't even do a clean install.

Maybe try a third party on screen keyboard to see, whether it's a thing about blackberry keyboard?
    Otherwise I would suggest another wipe.
    10-03-18 04:48 PM
    i try a factory reset again. should be enough right?
    10-04-18 01:25 AM
    factory reset didn't help at all.. still same bug. sometimes textfield gets no input and i can't send anything. And i don't know how to replicate it. Seems random. Before oreo update this never happened.

What now? Other keyboard apps do not even work properly with pkb
    Last edited by Moon_Man; 10-04-18 at 06:58 AM.
    10-04-18 06:40 AM
    would an autoloader change something?
    10-04-18 06:58 AM
    Might be a problem with the BlackBerry's keyboard app?
    10-04-18 07:06 AM
    could be. But testing other keyboards would be a real pain because they work so damn bad.

Bug happened if i lock and unlock the device, or if i switch to homescreen or between apps. One time i was listening to audio messages with the ear speaker, and when i wanted to write an answer, no input happened.
    Closing app and reopen helps. Only experienced it in whatsapp so far
    10-04-18 07:15 AM
    still the same after a clean autoloader install without any cloud backup restore... i can't believe it. this can't be only me
    i can't do anything more than i did already. i did everything. 32 seconds hard reboot, factory reset twice, clean flashall.bat autoloader wipe. this has to be a blackberry problem again. A software one to be specific, because on nougat i didn't have this issue
    @LiamQ or any other blackberry support, please look into this.

last time i replicated this bug was when i had the feature on with notification waking the screen, similar to always on display. i double tap the notification, it gets me to the app, i start to type but then the bug appears and i have to reopen it.
    10-04-18 02:38 PM
    Might just be a software bug with WhatsApp. Might need to wait until they release an update, since it looks like you did everything (and more) to try to fix the issue.

You can use BB's software keyboard by pressing the SYM key to see if that does anything. If you want try a 3rd party keyboard, I highly suggest SwiftKey.
    10-04-18 02:44 PM
    That really sounds like a WhatsApp bug.
    10-04-18 03:34 PM
    I've had that occur on another app from playstore "x10 wifi" not a commonly used app specific to operate a model wm100 x10 device...
    10-04-18 04:01 PM
    @Moon_Man, make sure that you tap the text box before you start typing. WhatsApp will make the text box look focused even when it's not.

If you're not sure if the text box is focused, look for the quick modes (emojis, text selector, etc.) at the bottom of the screen. If you don't see the quick modes (and you haven't disabled them), then the text box isn't really focused.
    10-04-18 05:36 PM
    Might just be a software bug with WhatsApp. Might need to wait until they release an update, since it looks like you did everything (and more) to try to fix the issue.

You can use BB's software keyboard by pressing the SYM key to see if that does anything. If you want try a 3rd party keyboard, I highly suggest SwiftKey.
    I tried swiftkey, but it doesn't work really well with pkb together. Is there a way i can enable the vkb of swiftkey?
    10-04-18 09:36 PM
    @Moon_Man, make sure that you tap the text box before you start typing. WhatsApp will make the text box look focused even when it's not.

If you're not sure if the text box is focused, look for the quick modes (emojis, text selector, etc.) at the bottom of the screen. If you don't see the quick modes (and you haven't disabled them), then the text box isn't really focused.
    That could be the issue. I did not tap the text box before typing. But even then, after starting to type, the word suggestions appear.
    Next time the bug occurs i try to activate the vkb with sym and see if typing works.
    If that doesn't work i try always to touch the box before typing.
    Thanks.

Hope it can be fixed soon. But i don't get it why it didn't happen on nougat. So is it really a whatsapp issue?
    10-04-18 09:40 PM
    I tried swiftkey, but it doesn't work really well with pkb together. Is there a way i can enable the vkb of swiftkey?
    Open the SwiftKey app and follow the steps. I don't know if you can use the PKB and SwiftKey together, though. SwiftKey is purely a software keyboard.
    10-05-18 10:30 AM
    tried abd769 and no luck either. same bug with whatsapp
    10-05-18 02:18 PM
    so no way to fix it myself. then i'll try to see if sym key for vkb changes anything, maybe even swiftkey vkb (if it doesn't happen here, it's a BlackBerry Bug for sure).
    after that i will try to always hit the text box before typing to see if it gets better.
    I'm going back to abg366
    10-05-18 02:29 PM
    okay switching to vkb via sym doesn't work. still no input if bug is triggered. now to swiftkey. I can activate the vkb when i select the option for bb vkb to show up. It works for other vkb too. Damn i forgot how terrible it is compared to pkb xd
    10-06-18 05:57 AM

it could be a blackberry problem after all. Right now when the bug happened, i switched quickly to swiftkey using the notification tray, typed and it worked.

No luck with wiping, using other autoloaders or switching to vkb from blackberry.

Now only thing left is tapping the text box always before and see if it still happens
    10-06-18 01:55 PM
    @LiamQ

I tested a really old whatsapp apk, from August. At that time i had nougat, and the bug never happened. Now on oreo the bug also happens with very old whatsapp apk.

So the bug is not caused by an whatsapp update. It's a blackberry problem again.. Something wrong with the oreo builds. But i did not expect anything else, and probably the bug will take months to be fixed, if it will be fixed at all.

Just wanted to let you know. Please have a look at it. Can't be a bug caused by a whatsapp update.
    10-09-18 08:06 AM
    i have the same problem in my Priv
    10-09-18 08:17 AM

And by the way. Right now bug happened even after tapping the box before typing.

The way i replicated the bug:

Lock phone while on whatsapp. Unlock with finger print. Then tapping text box and typing. (Note: the predictions were already there even before tapping the box, sometimes it's there without tap sometimes not)

But as i mentioned the bug replication is pretty random.

Thanks for your help but nothing of that helps.
    The only thing i can do when bug appears is closing and reopen the chat or app, or hold down spacebar and select keyboard language. Then it works.

But this bug seems blackberry related, the priv has it too the one above me says
    10-09-18 09:04 AM
    damn it happens so often while I'm chatting and keep locking and unlocking the phone while in chat.. ugh this needs to be fixed. there is no way to prevent it. I tried everything
    10-09-18 09:15 AM
28 12