i have been unable to make wifi calls in a certain area that i frequent that has barely any cell coverage, despite trying a few tricks that i came across on the forums...has anyone had luck with the keyone and "whats app" for that kind of situation?
    08-09-20 11:23 AM
    i have been unable to make wifi calls in a certain area that i frequent that has barely any cell coverage, despite trying a few tricks that i came across on the forums...has anyone had luck with the keyone and "whats app" for that kind of situation?
    It has nothing to do with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, or any specific supported device. The issue would be with the particular Wi-Fi hotspot/network.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-09-20 11:45 AM
    i have verizon. does that add any information that is relevant?
    08-09-20 11:47 AM
    i have verizon. does that add any information that is relevant?
    No. You asked about using WhatsApp on Wi-Fi didn't you?
    08-09-20 12:07 PM
    You say you want to make a Wi-Fi calls in the certain area but you do not say whether this is a public network or a private network.

For instance a public network inside a private building would be unlikely to allow you to use VoIP such as WhatsApp WhatsApp or Skype.
    But if you use your own VPN that is still usually available since you are not using their network par say.

If you are using a private network then they are probably both blocked.

But you could try the VPN option with a good VPN supplier such as Nord.

Much depends on the security rating on the building that you are in.

If you are not using WhatsApp but your own phone's capabity to use voice-over LTE than that is not Wi-Fi. And it's a local network issue of your network provider or the phone's own capability. We used to be able to do that on BlackBerry key2 but that is no longer the case as they withdrew the facility.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-10-20 04:07 AM
    it's a private network, sorry i can't be more informative about my issue. my husband who has an iphone, also on verizon, can make wifi calls in this area. i can't on my keyone. it was suggested to me to try what's app in order to make and receive calls.
    08-11-20 09:05 AM
    it's a private network, sorry i can't be more informative about my issue. my husband who has an iphone, also on verizon, can make wifi calls in this area. i can't on my keyone. it was suggested to me to try what's app in order to make and receive calls.
    What do you mean by "area".

Still trying to figure out if you are trying to use Wi-Fi or mobile data.
    08-11-20 09:44 AM
    VZW KEYone doesn’t support WFC so that’s part of your problem.

WhatsApp just allows you to call other WhatsApp users but via the app. If the other person isn’t using WhatsApp then it’s not really a solution.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-11-20 09:48 AM
    VZW KEYone doesn’t support WFC so that’s part of your problem.
    But WhatsApp uses normal data for calling.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-11-20 09:49 AM
    the area is a rural location, my daughters home. i don't know if i am trying to use cellular data or wifi. the people around me with success are calling it wifi-calling. all have iphones. i have read threads on this forum that say wificalling is not provisioned for bbkeyone with verizon. i have tried the various methods referenced to get it provisioned. unsuccessfully. the what's app is the lates method i am trying. the app developer says they don't support blackberry. thanks for trying to help.
    08-11-20 09:49 AM
    But WhatsApp uses normal data for calling.
    Yes but I hit enter too soon.
    08-11-20 09:51 AM
    the area is a rural location, my daughters home. i don't know if i am trying to use cellular data or wifi. the people around me with success are calling it wifi-calling. all have iphones. i have read threads on this forum that say wificalling is not provisioned for bbkeyone with verizon. i have tried the various methods referenced to get it provisioned. unsuccessfully. the what's app is the lates method i am trying. the app developer says they don't support blackberry. thanks for trying to help.
    Isn’t possible to provision your KEYone for WFC on VZW for internal VZW policies that don’t matter at the moment.

WhatsApp is supported but each person you wish to contact has to have installed on their phone as well.

The easiest solution is to download app like TextNow or similar. It will use a phone number you pick with same area code as normal for you if you like. Just text everyone from inside Texting app with the new phone number explaining it’s a secondary number for use there while visiting
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-11-20 09:53 AM
    But why are you asking about WhatsApp?
    08-11-20 09:54 AM
    i didn't realize that each party would require to be on what's app, thanks for that info- makes sense. so that is not really a solution for me after all. the fact that VZWkeyone is untenable for me makes me think i will just have to weigh this when it's time for me to get another phone. unless i can get VZW to put a tower out there
    08-12-20 08:12 AM
    i didn't realize that each party would require to be on what's app, thanks for that info- makes sense. so that is not really a solution for me after all. the fact that VZWkeyone is untenable for me makes me think i will just have to weigh this when it's time for me to get another phone. unless i can get VZW to put a tower out there
    Just use the solution I listed above for now. Buy directly from VZW next time and you’ll be fine.

The next time you get a phone from VZW it will have WFC supported most likely, just ask.

There will be no further BlackBerry phones so you don’t have to worry.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-12-20 08:29 AM
    thanks for your advice- please explain-i may be able to make and receive phone calls with an app like text now? won't my vzw keyone prevent that? i can text with the app i use- textra.
    08-12-20 08:41 AM
    thanks for your advice- please explain-i may be able to make and receive phone calls with an app like text now? won't my vzw keyone prevent that? i can text with the app i use- textra.
    The different apps I listed, are like having a second virtual device inside your actual device.

Download app
    Setup account
    Inside the app, it will prompt you to pick a phone number by area code. You can use same area code as your actual phone or somewhere totally different. It will then give you a choice of numbers to pick from.

Once you’ve picked number, be sure to give the app the permissions it asks for

You know have a phone/text app that allows you to make and receive calls using WiFi but it’s just not able to use your regular number. You make and receive calls inside the app
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-12-20 08:49 AM
    downloading now, will comment after i try to use it- thank you!
    08-12-20 08:56 AM
    You can download Google Voice, which will give you an additional phone number (your Google Voice phone number), and you'll be able to use the GV app for making and receiving calls, including using cellular or WiFi data connections, and you can call any standard number just like any other phone. GV will work on desktops and laptops as well - I can easily pick up a call on my PC or laptop if my phone is in the other room.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-13-20 01:18 AM
    troy- through this thread i am learning that my main concern is with receiving calls, as sometimes i am waiting for doctor office to call back, or a contractor to call back, etc, and am wondering if i can i forward calls from my phone number that they have, or will have to notify anyone i am waiting to hear from that they have to contact me at a different number?
    08-13-20 09:35 AM
    troy- through this thread i am learning that my main concern is with receiving calls, as sometimes i am waiting for doctor office to call back, or a contractor to call back, etc, and am wondering if i can i forward calls from my phone number that they have, or will have to notify anyone i am waiting to hear from that they have to contact me at a different number?
    I’m sorry but that puts a very different spin on things. I thought need to be more temporary and more family needs driven.

I’d suggest upgrading to a fully supported phone from your carrier that supports WFC since health isn’t worth fooling around with bandaid solutions
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-13-20 01:27 PM
    thank you.
    08-13-20 01:41 PM
    I’m sorry but that puts a very different spin on things. I thought need to be more temporary and more family needs driven.

I’d suggest upgrading to a fully supported phone from your carrier that supports WFC since health isn’t worth fooling around with bandaid solutions
    Yeah I've used Google Voice before but I forward the Google Voice number to my Cell Number... but it needed cell coverage.

What he wants to do is when he knows he is in a weak signal area... be able to forward his cell phone to Google Voice and use it via it's IP based configuration... That too will work if he uses the Google Voice app. And he is always mindful of his location and if he takes the time to forward calls while the phone still works, and then disable call forwarding when he is back in full coverage.

Yeah, just better to get the best coverage you can from available carriers in your area. (A doctors office located where there is poor cell coverage? That seems hard to imagine unless inside of a large steel and concrete building. )

Next is to use a phone that is fully supported by that carrier.

My view it's a phone first, everything else is secondary to that.... even the PKB interface.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-13-20 01:43 PM
    duntduntdunt- yes i will have to use a phone that is supported by verizon, and the keyone seems to be only partially supported. we live in a rural area. the doctor office has no problem with their coverage, i also don't have any problem with coverage where i live. but where i live and travel on a day to day basis is in the mountains, and there are many areas without good cell coverage. or wifi at all actually. apps like maps stop working, an internet search won't load, etc. when i babysit for my grandchildren in their house- there is no cell coverage. i have to go outside and cross the street and stand in exactly one spot in order to have a phone call, and other folks's phones don't have this problem- because of the wifi calling or whatever technical term is used when a phone connects not on cell coverage? in the meantime we have a landline in her home so that is for emergencies- i will have to change to a phone that can switch seamlessly between ways of connecting and my beloved keyone is not that. even thinking about switching makes me unhappy. but being connected is important. so this thread i started was in hopes that i wouldn't have to part with my phone.
    08-14-20 07:40 AM
    duntduntdunt- yes i will have to use a phone that is supported by verizon, and the keyone seems to be only partially supported. we live in a rural area. the doctor office has no problem with their coverage, i also don't have any problem with coverage where i live. but where i live and travel on a day to day basis is in the mountains, and there are many areas without good cell coverage. or wifi at all actually. apps like maps stop working, an internet search won't load, etc. when i babysit for my grandchildren in their house- there is no cell coverage. i have to go outside and cross the street and stand in exactly one spot in order to have a phone call, and other folks's phones don't have this problem- because of the wifi calling or whatever technical term is used when a phone connects not on cell coverage? in the meantime we have a landline in her home so that is for emergencies- i will have to change to a phone that can switch seamlessly between ways of connecting and my beloved keyone is not that. even thinking about switching makes me unhappy. but being connected is important. so this thread i started was in hopes that i wouldn't have to part with my phone.
    There is a Key 2 user using the Google Voice App to make WiFi calls. May give this a shot. The Google Voice App should work no issue on your KeyOne.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    08-14-20 12:00 PM
27 12