Here's that Bold on Android XD

Attachment 433315
    So the screen would have to be a little taller to even out the aspect ratio. it would still be a little smaller than a Classic which works for me.
    01-15-18 02:58 AM
    I still vote for a 9900 on Android. I want something that disappears in my pocket.
    My Passport disappears in every pocket* of mine. And no, my garments are not tailor made, nowadays.

*Sans the coin pocket off course
    falbo likes this.
    01-15-18 03:00 AM
    I prefer the slider form.

Priv Two.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and Trisk333 like this.
    01-15-18 03:09 AM
    We don't need a 1:1 aspect ratio. 3:2 will be fine. Give us the width of the Passport and whatever height that means for a 3:2, so be it.
    I agree. The passport keys are wide and there is some redundancy and unused space. I am not a fan of the classic BB keyboard as I use a lot of numbers - so a 4th row with keyboard numbers would be great.

... my real wish would be a dual screen phone - full screen on one side (for consuming data) and on the reverse a smaller screen with keyboard for typing

Posted via CB10
    01-15-18 03:34 AM
    So the screen would have to be a little taller to even out the aspect ratio. it would still be a little smaller than a Classic which works for me.
    Not just a little. Going from 3:4 to 4:3 aspect ratio, while keeping the same width, will add 1.5" to the height - making it 1" taller than the classic.

The problem is that Android was not designed for a display that small. Everything would be very difficult to see. BBOS was a more text-based UX.
    01-15-18 06:50 AM
    I agree. The passport keys are wide and there is some redundancy and unused space. I am not a fan of the classic BB keyboard as I use a lot of numbers - so a 4th row with keyboard numbers would be great.

... my real wish would be a dual screen phone - full screen on one side (for consuming data) and on the reverse a smaller screen with keyboard for typing

Posted via CB10
    That would make holding the phone so much easier..... Not.
    01-15-18 06:53 AM
    https://yotaphone.com/gb-en/

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-15-18 07:14 AM
    01-15-18 07:20 AM
    Why did Blackberry fail? Lack of apps or small screen size. I jumped ship to get a bigger screen... I find the 6 inch too big, and to be honest the Keyone hits a good compromise. If we went back to a much smaller screen, we'd be going back to a size that didn't seem to be popular. So, keep it PKB but look forward to what BBM comes up with. Me, just an enhanced keyone.
    01-15-18 08:53 AM
    Not just a little. Going from 3:4 to 4:3 aspect ratio, while keeping the same width, will add 1.5" to the height - making it 1" taller than the classic.

The problem is that Android was not designed for a display that small. Everything would be very difficult to see. BBOS was a more text-based UX.
    Rotate the screen 90 degrees and maintain the same aspect ratio. Done.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-15-18 09:32 AM
    Rotate the screen 90 degrees and maintain the same aspect ratio. Done.

On a pkb device? Impossible. Many apps are portrait only. Then you'd be back to the image I posted above - 4:3 within a 3:4 frame.
    01-15-18 09:34 AM
    On a pkb device? Impossible. Many apps are portrait only. Then you'd be back to the image I posted above - 4:3 within a 3:4 frame.
    LOL. I guess that proves I don't use many apps! I just assumed they all worked in landscape mode because all the ones I use do!

01-15-18 09:38 AM
    The KEYone is perfect for me. Almost so perfect that I'm barely excited for a new "KEYtwo".
    tnewton3 likes this.
    01-15-18 10:19 AM
    Not saying they would, or even should do this, but I would pay $1,000+ for a phone about 1/2 the height of the KEYone but with the same size keyboard and width. It would have a small screen, but with a 16x9 aspect ratio, approximately 1.5 inches high and 2.67 inches wide, optimized for text communications, and would have great battery life with the smaller screen.

I know everyone here will say that's stupid and will never work, and that's probably correct. But, as I said, I would pay a big premium for such a device. For the way I use a phone, screen size is way overrated. The keyboard is everything.

Agree
    01-15-18 10:25 AM
    What I want is an Android with a 1:1 aspect ratio that defaults to landscape mode for apps that work that way and scrolls for apps that don't, or, better yet, simply doesn't install portrait only apps.

We keep acting like having a gazillion apps is the benefit or Android, but, just speaking for myself, I'd rather have a convenient form factor with functionality limited to a few high quality apps that work on that form factor.

Since Android allows the format I'd like, this becomes a business problem (making such a device profitable), not a technical problem.

Qorax likes this.
    01-15-18 10:54 AM
    What I want is an Android with a 1:1 aspect ratio that defaults to landscape mode for apps that work that way and scrolls for apps that don't, or, better yet, simply doesn't install portrait only apps.

We keep acting like having a gazillion apps is the benefit or Android, but, just speaking for myself, I'd rather have a convenient form factor with functionality limited to a few high quality apps that work on that form factor.

Since Android allows the format I'd like, this becomes a business problem (making such a device profitable), not a technical problem.

But the device will not get Google certification without 100% compatibility.

Part of that is assuring all apps will run perfectly.
    01-15-18 11:02 AM
    Landscape slider. I want my Droid 5 that never saw the light of day...
    Trisk333 likes this.
    01-15-18 11:29 AM
    But the device will not get Google certification without 100% compatibility.

Part of that is assuring all apps will run perfectly.
    So, you're saying there is no way Google would ever certify a landscape screen as a primary orientation on a handheld device?

If so, that's something they may want to consider if they want convergence with the working world, where almost every interface is based on a landscape orientation.

01-15-18 12:05 PM
    On second thought I would love a taller passport.
    01-15-18 04:03 PM
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ PKB layout, PRIV design, space key fingerprint or on chin, not on back, enlarge the surface of the ALT key, PRIV size screen, LOSE: lag, heat, ADD: 4-6gb, 64-128gb, USB-C, QI fast, dual speakers... sell like hotcakes... if TCL were smart they would offer a BlackBerry secure model or a TCL branded rootable one unfettered...
    Trisk333 likes this.
    01-15-18 04:33 PM
    As we can see there are about 300 or 400 different audiences and only one or two new devices. Spin that wheel and let's see who wins. But there will be more losers than winners. Of that I'm sure.
    Kraeutermann and Wezard like this.
    01-15-18 04:45 PM
    Very excited that more PKB devices are on their way. I am enjoying my KeyOne, although I do wish it was lighter. I will definitely pick the smaller one if there is e.g. a standard and XL version as suggested. Slimline (but not bendy or screen popping) elegant evolution of K1 please - it great, just a bit of a brick.
    davidinLA likes this.
    01-15-18 04:50 PM
    I think your idea is interesting, but how about something more like this? I see this working a bit more easily as a modern phone.
    Attached Thumbnails What PKB device would you prefer?-55351.jpg  
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-16-18 02:01 AM
    Forget it, I'm getting me two tin cans and a sting...
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-18 04:05 AM
    Well for TCL two pkbs should be,

KEYtwo
    -snapdragon 660
    -4 GB of ram
    -32 GB internal storage
    -big battery
    -single camera
    -mono speakers

KEYtwo +
    -snapdragon 840/835 etc.
    -6 GB of RAM
    -64 GB internal storage
    -dual camera setup
    -dual speakers
    -additional color choice (besides silver and black for KEYtwo)
    -AMOLED/OLED screen
    -even bigger a** battery
    01-16-18 07:03 AM
141 ... 23456