BlackBerry holds all the patents on PKB's that make the keyboard stellar. There aren't any devices now or in the past that have a keyboard that can match the KEYone or legacy BlackBerry devices because of the patents. Why do you need Samsung to make a phone with a physical keyboard, just get the KEYone. I don't think Apple will ever make a device with a PKB but if they were allowed to put a quality PKB on a device I bet they would have more adopters than expected.

This whole BlackBerry android thing is going to take time. If you listen to some of the CB podcasts TCL's plans are long term and the devices coming out after the KEYone are part of that plan. A majority of consumers have no idea BlackBerry has a new device on the market.
    Sometimes monopolies get stagnant, other OEMs if they had done PKBs, may be the PKB evolution would have followed different timelines but we are stack with a single evolution timeline.... the BlackBerry timeline!
    Last edited by katxeus; 06-25-17 at 11:44 AM.
    tnewton3 likes this.
    06-25-17 11:25 AM

A majority of consumers have no idea BlackBerry has a new device on the market.
    Seems like I've heard this somewhere before. I don't see TCL doing anything to change this.
    06-25-17 11:46 AM
    Seems like I've heard this somewhere before. I don't see TCL doing anything to change this.
    I know and see the same thing. I'm a little bummed I haven't seen any advertising for the device here in the states. The rollout of the KEYone was very quiet, which directly affects people not knowing BlackBerry has a new device out.
    06-25-17 01:05 PM
    With the limited availability of the KEYone (one can order if you keep checking Amazon and BestBuy, but it keeps going out of stock), what sort of marketing campaign do you suggest?
    06-25-17 01:24 PM
    Nope, the lack of marketing is pretty disappointing. Although with their whole lack of stock it might actually be bad to start advertising like crazy, lol.
    06-30-17 09:22 PM
    With the limited availability of the KEYone (one can order if you keep checking Amazon and BestBuy, but it keeps going out of stock), what sort of marketing campaign do you suggest?
    Yah, that's why I'm kind of conflicted on how I feel about it. Before I was really hoping to see a real marketing effort from TCL once it launched everywhere (I didn't expect any before that happened), but now that it has and the supply seems to be inconsistent, would spending money on a marketing campaign really benefit them?? I don't know what to think really...
    06-30-17 09:24 PM
    It should be remembered that Motorola has a cross-patent license with BB (they each owned patents the other needed), so Moto absolutely CAN (and has in the past) make a BB-style PKB without any pesky licences . The fact that they haven't should tell you that their market research has shown that there's no money in it. If they thought there WAS money in it, they'd certainly have given it a shot.

Here's an old one:

06-30-17 10:04 PM
    If either firm manages to license BlackBerry's keyboard I'd grab the device. TCL and BlackBerry Mobile's product management seems like a sub par high school project thus far.
    07-01-17 12:07 AM
    I'd take a Sidekick landscape keyboard device! or the Samsung Galaxy s 4g on sprint or HTC touch prop 2 those were really nice keyboards - a 3;2 ratio landscape keyboard!!! please
    07-01-17 12:32 AM
    I would leave blackberry behind if Samsung or another manufacturer release a qwert phone to be honest.
    07-01-17 01:25 AM
    I would leave blackberry behind if Samsung or another manufacturer release a qwert phone to be honest.
    Although I'm not sure about this, I once heard that BlackBerry owns the copyright on the capacitive keyboard. If that were true, would you still leave considering the other device would not have one?
    07-01-17 07:28 AM
    You might like the moto Z mod one then.
    Is this being shipped? Says July. I had Motorola Atrix before, it was the, hands down, worst phone I've ever owned, worse than Sony Ericsson T10, absolute piece of garbage so comparing to my experience with blackberries - no thank you!
    07-01-17 10:58 AM
    Samsung already have a PKB option for their S8.
    Piece of junk that is.
    07-01-17 11:12 AM
    ...and this too. This PKB design, though maybe aesthetically inferior to Blackberry keyboards and despite the Nokia E71's insanely compact size, is arguably one of the most efficient,effortless and practical typing experience I ever had.
    Werent they Windows Mobile devices!?
    07-01-17 12:43 PM
    ...and this too. This PKB design, though maybe aesthetically inferior to Blackberry keyboards and despite the Nokia E71's insanely compact size, is arguably one of the most efficient,effortless and practical typing experience I ever had.
    I've used the Nokia device and its awesome however BBOS at the time was much more fluid.
    07-01-17 12:45 PM
    The whole point of the original iPhone was that it didn't have a keyboard and the inherent inflexibility that it incurred, so I can't see Apple doing it beyond a Bluetooth keyboard.

As for Samsung, they're probably content with the case addon, and if the KEYone proves to be successful, they will probably think about it internally.

A physical keyboard is a tough sell though today, given slate touchscreen phones are competent at typing anyway and whatnot for the majority or users.

I'm a fan of BlackBerry, and I like their keyboard but it isn't the end-all phone keyboard. I have an odd weakness for the smaller rubber-domed keys on Palm's last few phones.
    Man, I loved my Palm devices, especially the Treo 680, and would buy just about anything new branded with Palm, if only for old times, sake. Still love BB, though, and grooving with my new KEYone.
    07-01-17 12:50 PM
    I remember how many pkb phones were out there 8-9 years ago. I've tried it all and tbh the BlackBerry is the best when it comes to PKB phones. I didn't mind the t-mobile dash which was a windows 6 phone made by HTC
    07-01-17 07:22 PM
    Naturally, we we want PKB smartphones to gain more and more popularity, so that BB devices are more than financially feasible to make; where effectively, greater, well thought and more innovative PKB devices will be churned out consistently. This would lead to a healthy cycle where PKB devices, possibly will be a 'fad' again.
    But of course, this would be a double edged sword, as it would open up a high certainty for the likes of Samsung and Apple to adopt PKB on their devices.
    Hence, this begs the question, however hypothetical - are you a PKB or a BB loyalist? Which device's brand with PKB would you go for, given their each device's current quality(or the lack of it) and features of Apple(7/7plus), Samsung(S8/8+)and Blackberry(Keyone)?
    I think BB has the only license for keyboard usage on devices!?
    07-02-17 10:24 AM
    How about a cover that doubles as a keypad? They make them for ipads and window tablets. Would you guys consider one made in landscape format for a phone?

I don't think any exists. Hmm.... I wonder if there's a potential niche market there...

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-02-17 10:55 AM
69 123