Furthermore I am a BlackBerry loyalist and not just pkb. There are certain steps BlackBerry has always taken to help me be more productive that I appreciate. Slapping a pkb on an iPhone is just that.. An iPhone with a physical keyboard. I do not like iPhones, although imessage is still by far the most superior messaging platform in the world.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-17 01:48 PM
    Naturally, we we want PKB smartphones to gain more and more popularity, so that BB devices are more than financially feasible to make; where effectively, greater, well thought and more innovative PKB devices will be churned out consistently. This would lead to a healthy cycle where PKB devices, possibly will be a 'fad' again.
    But of course, this would be a double edged sword, as it would open up a high certainty for the likes of Samsung and Apple to adopt PKB on their devices.
    Hence, this begs the question, however hypothetical - are you a PKB or a BB loyalist? Which device's brand with PKB would you go for, given their each device's current quality(or the lack of it) and features of Apple(7/7plus), Samsung(S8/8+)and Blackberry(Keyone)?
    Samsung will, Apple won't.
    06-21-17 01:51 PM
    I've always wondered why others don't do it besides the obvious law suites on IP infringement...I can't imagine thinking what a PKB from LG, Samsung, Oppo, OnePlus, Huawei and let's say .........Apple would really turn out to be with all the current advances in technology!
    Keyboards on cell phones alone are not specifically patented by BlackBerry, so any cell phone maker can make a keyboard phone if they want. Many have, and some still do to this day.

It's the specific design of the keys and the frets that were part of the BlackBerry design that got Typo in trouble. They were the only company BlackBerry sued over a keyboard design (that I'm aware of).

Joel
    app_Developer and xandros9 like this.
    06-21-17 02:04 PM
    It not worth to sue anyone didn't make money. Bb wait until typo start selling the unit for filing. you need to do the cost and benefit analysis, majority of time, cost over weight benefits, cost of lawyers are very high. Qualcomm case is definitely worth the trouble. Blu might be the next. Typo possible is a wash, but sending warning signal to others. If Apple or Sammy want to get into the game, send uncle Chen a check for license.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 02:12 PM
    The only type of PKB I truly enjoyed on a smartphone besides T9 is the landscape QWERTY.

Nokia E90 was a pleasure to use, I must say
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a98e991a9b.jpg

Also liked the HTC TyTN and TyTN II, had a lot of time with both and always thought Landscape QWERTY was the way to go if not full touch
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1bb4780ae2.jpg

I wouldn't have minded a thin landscape slider flagship, have the huge 5.5-6.2inch display plus a PKB would be epic.
    You might like the moto Z mod one then.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-17 02:15 PM
    You might like the moto Z mod one then.
    I'm very happy with VKB, but if I wanted PKB to come back, it would be the Landscape QWERTY.

I'll give that a look though, thanks, had no idea Moto made a mod like that.
    06-21-17 02:19 PM
    I put a link earlier in the thread.
    06-21-17 02:21 PM
    Am I a BlackBerry or PKB loyalist? To me they are almost synonymous with one another. When I think of BlackBerrys I think of their keyboard. When I think of a physical keyboard on a phone I think BlackBerry. That being said, there is a certain comfort level that I have in using a PKB. Also, I am a BlackBerry Loyalist. I have owned literally dozens of BlackBerry products and stock. So for me, it's both.

I don't think that we have anything to worry about in regards to other manufacturers coming up with a PKB phone. I think that the mass market has gone away from that notion. The only way that I see it changing is if Apple decided to make one. If they did I can see where Samsung would follow suit. But the likelihood is minimal.
    06-21-17 02:55 PM
    The only type of PKB I truly enjoyed on a smartphone besides T9 is the landscape QWERTY.

Nokia E90 was a pleasure to use, I must say
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a98e991a9b.jpg

Also liked the HTC TyTN and TyTN II, had a lot of time with both and always thought Landscape QWERTY was the way to go if not full touch
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1bb4780ae2.jpg

I wouldn't have minded a thin landscape slider flagship, have the huge 5.5-6.2inch display plus a PKB would be epic.
    I liked the landscape qwerty. My favorite of all time ...What if Samsung or Apple comes up with a PKB now?-sidekick.jpg
    06-21-17 03:10 PM
    I don't see how a landscape device would be preferred over the current KEYone setup. I used one back in the day and my styling speed is far superior on the KEYone compared to a landscape PKB.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-21-17 03:29 PM
    .....then Hell has frozen over.. LOL
    06-21-17 04:40 PM
    If Apple can come up with PKB, I will definitely try one but in highly doubt it.
    06-21-17 04:47 PM
    Samsung already have a PKB option for their S8.
    06-21-17 05:42 PM
    I would buy whichever brand gives me the best functionality, keyboard, battery, and design ... in that order.

Currently, that is BlackBerry.
    krazyatom, xandros9 and stlabrat like this.
    06-21-17 07:21 PM
    BlackBerry holds all the patents on PKB's that make the keyboard stellar. There aren't any devices now or in the past that have a keyboard that can match the KEYone or legacy BlackBerry devices because of the patents. Why do you need Samsung to make a phone with a physical keyboard, just get the KEYone. I don't think Apple will ever make a device with a PKB but if they were allowed to put a quality PKB on a device I bet they would have more adopters than expected.

This whole BlackBerry android thing is going to take time. If you listen to some of the CB podcasts TCL's plans are long term and the devices coming out after the KEYone are part of that plan. A majority of consumers have no idea BlackBerry has a new device on the market.
    Great post. You're right, if Apple came out with a PKB device they would probably get more users than expected. I could just see the headlines at BGR and other pro-Apple blogs - "The natural evolution of the iphone is finally here and its beyond beautiful."
    hjc73734 likes this.
    06-21-17 08:28 PM
    I'd probably run the other direction...
    06-21-17 09:07 PM
    Just stop. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ numbers are not in and speculation is way above true Sales. When dust settles and smoke clears the KEYᵒⁿᵉ won't even snatch more than 1-3% of the Android 2017 sales. Nobody will even remotely consider a PKB device there is a huge discrepancy between what BlackBerry Mobile would consider a "successful device" and what the OEMs like Samsung and Apple would look at more than being a pesky fly to swat away. It's just silly.

There are probably more iPhone 5s and Galaxy S5 sold on Swappa then brand new KEYᵒⁿᵉ's have been sold. KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a great device. It's not an indictment on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ it's just you can't compare what may amount to less than 1% or at most 2% of total 2017 sales. And even think Samsung or Apple is worried?
    06-21-17 09:28 PM
    Naturally, we we want PKB smartphones to gain more and more popularity, so that BB devices are more than financially feasible to make; where effectively, greater, well thought and more innovative PKB devices will be churned out consistently. This would lead to a healthy cycle where PKB devices, possibly will be a 'fad' again.
    But of course, this would be a double edged sword, as it would open up a high certainty for the likes of Samsung and Apple to adopt PKB on their devices.
    Hence, this begs the question, however hypothetical - are you a PKB or a BB loyalist? Which device's brand with PKB would you go for, given their each device's current quality(or the lack of it) and features of Apple(7/7plus), Samsung(S8/8+)and Blackberry(Keyone)?
    Not to say I do not appreciate BB phones, but I will go with whoever has the best option. I kind of doubt that if Samsung or Apple introduced the pkb that it would be as good as the BB option. Not talking strictly hardware, but like the way in integrates with the OS, and the way they arrange the symbols. I remember before when Samsung did have a pkb (Remember the Blackjack?), they weren't exactly the best keyboards out there, let me just leave it at that, lol. But if one of them would make an amazing keyboard phone that's amazing to use, I'll give it a try.

At the end of the day, competition is a good thing. If one of them made a great pkb phone, that might motivate BB to make an even better one. Also it would cause more app developers to integrate keyboard shortcuts into their apps. Win-win for all of us...
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-22-17 03:43 PM
    lets not forget about this monster
    Attachment 425581
    Android Q10!! Heheh
    06-22-17 04:12 PM
    I'd be happy to see other companies jump in with physical keyboards if it signifies a more viable market for this type of device. It would lead to better quality BB and keyboard devices in general.

I'm not loyal to BB, but I do think of them when I think of the mobile phone keyboard. Even if there were several options, BB would be on a must-try list. Further, BB would likely have a slight edge due to my experience with their prior keyboard devices.

On the other hand, I don't see myself buying a non-keyboard BB, since I know Apple and Samsung (and now many others - all essentially iPhone clones in today's market) make excellent touchscreen devices. However, I'd still try keyboard devices from these companies, since they tend to make good products. Apple especially has a way of maintaining a competitive advantage with an unbeatable user experience. I'm sure Apple could make an incredible keyboard, but am doubtful that there is any interest to.
    06-22-17 07:47 PM
    They won't make a PKB phone ever

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 08:21 PM
    I'd like to see a PKB device from Apple, just out of curiosity for how they would market it and how they'd re-architect iOS for PKB input.
    06-23-17 06:10 AM
    I'd like to see a PKB device from Apple, just out of curiosity for how they would market it and how they'd re-architect iOS for PKB input.
    I would want Samsung to do it (and they will market it as if they invented it the same way Apple does...) just so more app developers will incorporate keyboard shortcuts into their apps. And maybe browsers like Firefox mobile will have the option of the url bar at the bottom...
    06-23-17 10:53 AM
    I don't see how a landscape device would be preferred over the current KEYone setup. I used one back in the day and my styling speed is far superior on the KEYone compared to a landscape PKB.
    For the simple reason that some people prefer certain devices over others.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-25-17 08:58 AM
    So it turns out in South Korea and China people want PKB, but not QWERTY:

Turns out Android flip phones are still a thing

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-ga...h-south-korea/
    06-25-17 11:03 AM
69 123