Naturally, we we want PKB smartphones to gain more and more popularity, so that BB devices are more than financially feasible to make; where effectively, greater, well thought and more innovative PKB devices will be churned out consistently. This would lead to a healthy cycle where PKB devices, possibly will be a 'fad' again.
    But of course, this would be a double edged sword, as it would open up a high certainty for the likes of Samsung and Apple to adopt PKB on their devices.
    Hence, this begs the question, however hypothetical - are you a PKB or a BB loyalist? Which device's brand with PKB would you go for, given their each device's current quality(or the lack of it) and features of Apple(7/7plus), Samsung(S8/8+)and Blackberry(Keyone)?
    Last edited by xs2ramesh; 06-20-17 at 01:48 PM.
    anon(10250369) likes this.
    06-20-17 12:35 PM
    Apple want kb phone long time ago. Just read the latest iPhone book.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-17 12:38 PM
    I'm a BlackBerry loyalist. Funny thing is, I've only recently come to this realisation myself.

After a series of awful phones I realised BlackBerry devices (PKB or no) are usually very reliable and well made.

That's why I jumped on the keyone the day it came out. I never normally do that. I felt this was the first phone is ages, I HAD to get. Right then and there. With very little thought. I don't regret it one bit.

Hopefully, it will do me for a few years.
    christenmartin likes this.
    06-20-17 12:55 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, Apple still really dislike the idea of physical keyboards on a device (as far as the iPhone is concerned) and so I'm kinda on the fence that we'd ever see them create one. They've sold everyone so hard on the idea of typing on glass now, for so many years.

Samsung however have introduced a few iterations of keyboard case, including their current one for the S8, which have been interesting, but have also shown the challenges in designing a really good, functional keyboard for a smartphone, without some form of compromise to some part of the experience.

BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile deserve credit for not just smacking a PKB on a device and calling it done. The added functionality you get with the trackpad, speed dial / shortcuts and all the little tricks you can use dating back even to my OS4.6 devices are really what make the experience "click" for me, and not something I've ever seen someone else replicate, or get anywhere near to right. Not perfect, but better than others.

As for being a "loyalist" I think I'm much more concerned with supporting whoever creates the best, most functional product.
    06-20-17 01:01 PM
    They aren't going to become more and more popular so it really isn't anything to worry about.
    06-20-17 01:07 PM
    I hope other companies start making them. BlackBerry is so incompetent at it, I'd like to see a quality company like LG put a new one out. If other companies really want to stand out they should make PKB phones because the slabs are all the same.
    06-20-17 01:08 PM
    Can't imagine using anything other than a BlackBerry.
    super_rigel likes this.
    06-20-17 01:29 PM
    I know it's not what BlackBerry fans want but this might attract some people as it can also be removed. Still don't think it'll come close to a BlackBerry one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5goo...ly-happen/amp/
    06-20-17 01:34 PM
    I don't think iPhone or Android makers coming out with their own keyboard designs is going to catch on. Keyboard smartphones already don't seem too popular with the masses. But I think the general perception out there is that BlackBerry is a reputable company with the right keyboard design, if that's what you want. So I don't see anyone being marginally successful in this market, other than BlackBerry.
    06-20-17 03:19 PM
    lets not forget about this monster
    What if Samsung or Apple comes up with a PKB now?-motorola-droid-pro-1.jpeg
    06-20-17 03:26 PM
    ...and this too. This PKB design, though maybe aesthetically inferior to Blackberry keyboards and despite the Nokia E71's insanely compact size, is arguably one of the most efficient,effortless and practical typing experience I ever had.
    Attached Thumbnails What if Samsung or Apple comes up with a PKB now?-img_0701.jpg  
    Last edited by xs2ramesh; 06-20-17 at 04:27 PM.
    06-20-17 04:10 PM
    I am glad that the KEYone is lower price than Samsung and iPhone. The pricepoint is an additional selling feature, compared to flagship slabs.

Now, if Samsung or iPhone created a kb phone, and wanted to price it at $800 or over, well... the market would tip to KEYone. Personally, I like getting a phone that does what I need it to do, without paying too much money for it.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-20-17 04:51 PM
    Hello,

For me, Blackberry has always been synonymous with quality.
    Good hardware, professional software and features, all out of the box.
    One of the most important things is the PKB ... usable one.
    In my point of view Torch, 9900, Classic and PRIV (without google bugs) was amazing devices.
    All manufacturers have abandoned the PKB ...
    I'm maybe a loyalist ... but for now BB has always done a very good job.
    I hope that TCL will keep this legacy.

I don't think that Apple (which has removed jack 3.5 but is keeping iTunes for connectivity) will make a device with a PKB ... So outdated

Kr,
    Moo
    06-20-17 06:20 PM
    The thing is both of them afraid to put that idea into action. Just look at the "fake" pkb on s7. That's why I still like Blackberry.
    06-20-17 06:27 PM
    Apple and Samsung are not afraid. They are leading the sales of smartphones without making a pkb device.

Their market research probably tells them to stick to what is working for them.
    06-20-17 06:49 PM
    The whole point of the original iPhone was that it didn't have a keyboard and the inherent inflexibility that it incurred, so I can't see Apple doing it beyond a Bluetooth keyboard.

As for Samsung, they're probably content with the case addon, and if the KEYone proves to be successful, they will probably think about it internally.

A physical keyboard is a tough sell though today, given slate touchscreen phones are competent at typing anyway and whatnot for the majority or users.

I'm a fan of BlackBerry, and I like their keyboard but it isn't the end-all phone keyboard. I have an odd weakness for the smaller rubber-domed keys on Palm's last few phones.
    Vaughn Mises likes this.
    06-20-17 06:51 PM
    Make a good keyboard is not easy, make one without patent infringement is harder, make it capacitive kb without patent infringement is not go, keep trying. As for input UI, there are smart glasses, voice, etc. Better fish to fry. (not mention to catch).

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-17 08:33 AM
    i dont want an apple phone, but if Samsung made a PKB phone with killer specs, I'd definitely check it out.

other than being too narrow, the S8+ is pretty great
    06-21-17 08:44 AM
    I've always wondered why others don't do it besides the obvious law suites on IP infringement...I can't imagine thinking what a PKB from LG, Samsung, Oppo, OnePlus, Huawei and let's say .........Apple would really turn out to be with all the current advances in technology!
    06-21-17 09:38 AM
    All the good stuffs for physical keyboard technology has already been patented by BlackBerry, am I correct? so I think there aren't much left for others.

Posted via CB10
    dave8787 and stlabrat like this.
    06-21-17 09:51 AM
    BlackBerry holds all the patents on PKB's that make the keyboard stellar. There aren't any devices now or in the past that have a keyboard that can match the KEYone or legacy BlackBerry devices because of the patents. Why do you need Samsung to make a phone with a physical keyboard, just get the KEYone. I don't think Apple will ever make a device with a PKB but if they were allowed to put a quality PKB on a device I bet they would have more adopters than expected.

This whole BlackBerry android thing is going to take time. If you listen to some of the CB podcasts TCL's plans are long term and the devices coming out after the KEYone are part of that plan. A majority of consumers have no idea BlackBerry has a new device on the market.
    terminatorx likes this.
    06-21-17 10:33 AM
    The more the merrier. As for me, I'll be sticking with my KeyONE for the foreseeable future.
    06-21-17 12:40 PM
    ...and this too. This PKB design, though maybe aesthetically inferior to Blackberry keyboards and despite the Nokia E71's insanely compact size, is arguably one of the most efficient,effortless and practical typing experience I ever had.
    The only type of PKB I truly enjoyed on a smartphone besides T9 is the landscape QWERTY.

Nokia E90 was a pleasure to use, I must say

Also liked the HTC TyTN and TyTN II, had a lot of time with both and always thought Landscape QWERTY was the way to go if not full touch

I wouldn't have minded a thin landscape slider flagship, have the huge 5.5-6.2inch display plus a PKB would be epic.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-17 01:26 PM
    Talk to Nokia, they already reported to go retro for the new design. (still holding their stock and waiting to come back)..

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 01:39 PM
    They won't. The vast majority of smartphone users want a virtual keyboard.
    xandros9, TGR1 and justinbailey81 like this.
    06-21-17 01:47 PM
69 123