I'm reading here that Keyone will only receive support until 2020.

What happens after that? What are the immediate practical implications? At what point does it become unusable?

I haven't bought yet, but I'm thinking of getting one on Verizon.
    12-02-18 05:46 AM
    I'm reading here that Keyone will only receive support until 2020.

What happens after that? What are the immediate practical implications? At what point does it become unusable?

I haven't bought yet, but I'm thinking of getting one on Verizon.
    That's bull****!

My Keyone stuck on ABC322.
    12-02-18 05:48 AM
    What happens? Nothing just keep using it if you want to. I still use my PRIV perfectly, did get a special security patch but all fine.
    Picked up a KEY2 and loving it which will receive PIE.
    Rut Dog, the_boon, Sigewif and 1 others like this.
    12-02-18 06:21 AM
    Thanks.

And being tired, had some interesting (mouthwatering) results searching for Blackberry Pie.

But I'm a quick study... KeyOne shipped with Nougat (7), Oreo (8) has been released. Key 2 shipped with Oreo, will get Pie (9).

(Uh, oh, I just remembered why 6 is afraid of 7.)
    12-02-18 06:38 AM
    GD, Are Q10 owners impressed with the multi-tasking (memory management) on the KeyOne Black Edition - 64GB storage and 4GB RAM?
    12-02-18 04:23 PM
    We aren't getting monthly updates now or Pie. So I would worry about now and not 2020.
    galifreiankid likes this.
    12-02-18 07:42 PM
    Thanks.

And being tired, had some interesting (mouthwatering) results searching for Blackberry Pie.

But I'm a quick study... KeyOne shipped with Nougat (7), Oreo (8) has been released. Key 2 shipped with Oreo, will get Pie (9).

Couldn't resist. The image below is of blackberry pie, made for Thanksgiving dinner. It was delicious. This is shot on KEYone.
    Back to the subject, I still use my Priv too. But I am on T-Mobile. I don't know what is going to happen with Verizon when they phase out CDMA. Will that make some of the older Cell phones obsolete? I have a very old non BlackBerry emergency phone (for back up where T-Mobile doesn't have sufficient coverage) so I am interested in knowing for that reason as well.
    Attached Thumbnails What happens to KEYone in 2020? (Verizon)-180703.jpg  
    Rut Dog likes this.
    12-02-18 07:55 PM
    Couldn't resist. The image below is of blackberry pie, made for Thanksgiving dinner. It was delicious. This is shot on KEYone.
    Back to the subject, I still use my Priv too. But I am on T-Mobile. I don't know what is going to happen with Verizon when they phase out CDMA. Will that make some of the older Cell phones obsolete? I have a very old non BlackBerry emergency phone (for back up where T-Mobile doesn't have sufficient coverage) so I am interested in knowing for that reason as well.
    Yes, some older phones that rely on CDMA bands as part of service coverage will be less reliable. VZW is supposed to be refarming bands to LTE coverage so a newer VZW phone that supports all the VZW LTE bands including refarmed like the Key2 and Key2 LE should be fine. There will be other VZW LTE only brand OEMs so I'm not just pitching the BBMo/TCL solutions.
    Rut Dog likes this.
    12-02-18 09:56 PM
    Thanks.

Just to be clear - from discussions here, the Verizon Keyone will NOT be getting Oreo. And it also has not gotten a security update in a while (July???)
    12-02-18 10:41 PM
    Yes, some older phones that rely on CDMA bands as part of service coverage will be less reliable. VZW is supposed to be refarming bands to LTE coverage so a newer VZW phone that supports all the VZW LTE bands including refarmed like the Key2 and Key2 LE should be fine. There will be other VZW LTE only brand OEMs so I'm not just pitching the BBMo/TCL solutions.
    When CDMA goes away (or GSM on AT&T/T-Mobile), then the only way to make calls is over VoLTE. The problem is that Verizon isn't making VoLTE available to most unlocked/non-carrier-sold phones - and they aren't required to. They are legally required to allow Band 13 devices on the network, but all they have to provide is data - not phone calls.

So, we don't really know what's going to happen - and it's not just BB-branded phones that could be affected.
    12-03-18 12:31 AM
    When CDMA goes away (or GSM on AT&T/T-Mobile), then the only way to make calls is over VoLTE. ....

So, we don't really know what's going to happen - and it's not just BB-branded phones that could be affected.
    Planned obsolescence, accelerated by weak regulatory structure in the USA.

Meanwhile a 50 year old rotary phone will still work when plugged into a copper line jack, with no external power source necessary, and providing real time full duplex (no half second delay).
    12-03-18 07:33 AM
    Just to be clear - from discussions here, the Verizon Keyone will NOT be getting Oreo. And it also has not gotten a security update in a while (July???)
    No, not getting Pie. Supposedly an update is in the works but it has been quite a while.
    12-03-18 08:28 AM
    When CDMA goes away (or GSM on AT&T/T-Mobile), then the only way to make calls is over VoLTE. The problem is that Verizon isn't making VoLTE available to most unlocked/non-carrier-sold phones - and they aren't required to. They are legally required to allow Band 13 devices on the network, but all they have to provide is data - not phone calls.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. They just haven't announced fully what their cutover plans are. I'm sure this will be cared for.

It's not a bb specific problem. This is all their devices up until this point. You had better believe that this is a problem they're working on and will announce plans/solution when the time comes.
    12-03-18 08:44 AM
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. They just haven't announced fully what their cutover plans are. I'm sure this will be cared for.

It's not a bb specific problem. This is all their devices up until this point. You had better believe that this is a problem they're working on and will announce plans/solution when the time comes.
    No it's not a BB specific problem... but then does Verizon really view it as a problem?

Maybe Verizon improves their BYOD program... maybe they don't - sure aren't in a hurry to do so. I'd hope for the best, but I wouldn't count on it. I think for Verizon there are benefits in maintaining a smaller and chosen number of "supported" products. They'll do only what regulators say that they must to support BYOD, but I don't think it will be what fringe device owners will want.
    12-03-18 09:09 AM
    Planned obsolescence, accelerated by weak regulatory structure in the USA.

Meanwhile a 50 year old rotary phone will still work when plugged into a copper line jack, with no external power source necessary, and providing real time full duplex (no half second delay).
    I don’t think CDMA retirement is planned obsolescence. Planned obsolescence is saying that there won’t be update of support for a device after 2020.

Retiring CDMA is just what it is. There is a limited amount of bandwidth possible and the CDMA frequency is some of the best out there. Instead of having it up and running for a few users... millions of others need that frequency on 4G or 5G.
    12-03-18 09:43 AM
    I don’t think CDMA retirement is planned obsolescence. Planned obsolescence is saying that there won’t be update of support for a device after 2020.

Retiring CDMA is just what it is. There is a limited amount of bandwidth possible and the CDMA frequency is some of the best out there. Instead of having it up and running for a few users... millions of others need that frequency on 4G or 5G.
    Agree... and 5G is really going to be a big change for Carriers. They will be able to directly compete with DSL and Cable companies for home broadband coverage. And will bring service to many rural customers that have struggled with slower options like satellite. I'm not sure what 5G will really do for wireless users....
    12-03-18 09:49 AM
    Agree... and 5G is really going to be a big change for Carriers. They will be able to directly compete with DSL and Cable companies for home broadband coverage. And will bring service to many rural customers that have struggled with slower options like satellite. I'm not sure what 5G will really do for wireless users....
    I guess for wireless users there’s better coverage and the constant need for more bandwidth will saturate the 4G bands.
    12-03-18 09:53 AM
    FTR we are still using some Windows XP computers LONG after they went out of support. Same issue here but different. NO your phone will not suddenly stop working (unless it dies for some OTHER reason) You should be able to continue to use your phone until it mechanically dies OR you decide to replace it. HOWEVER the android version WILL be out of date and this MAY affect some android programs, BUT it's core functions should be fine, calls, text, email, the hub.
    12-03-18 01:48 PM
    FTR we are still using some Windows XP computers LONG after they went out of support. Same issue here but different. NO your phone will not suddenly stop working (unless it dies for some OTHER reason) You should be able to continue to use your phone until it mechanically dies OR you decide to replace it. HOWEVER the android version WILL be out of date and this MAY affect some android programs, BUT it's core functions should be fine, calls, text, email, the hub.
    Well it depends what feature is loss... for instance, if a CDMA phone can’t connect to a CDMA network since the service provider pulled the plug, then there’s not much use to the phone. Can’t call, can’t text. No data except on wifi.
    12-03-18 03:54 PM
    Well it depends what feature is loss... for instance, if a CDMA phone can’t connect to a CDMA network since the service provider pulled the plug, then there’s not much use to the phone. Can’t call, can’t text. No data except on wifi.
    Well of course but that will not be limited to just CDMA blackberry it will be all CDMA phones.
    12-03-18 04:12 PM
    Oh, That's not the pie from the scene in the movie "The Help" ??
    12-03-18 10:27 PM
    A lot of their CDMA bands have been getting the traction via xfinity mobile but they only let you bring an ifone...
    12-03-18 10:29 PM
    Not many old 3G only phones out there.... yes for very old BlackBerry BBOS users, this will mean the end. And for those holding onto an old 3G only Flip phone, they'll have to upgrade. But the reality is most people in the US today own a 3G/LTE phone, so they might not even notice when CDMA/GSM ends.

The bigger issue is IoT devices that were 3G only. For consumers that might be a security system that had a 3G Modem in it. For industry there are a number of products that might need updates, ATMs, Traffic Lights, Liftstations, Energy Management.... Devices that don't tend to get updated every few years like cellphone do.
    12-04-18 07:20 AM
    Not many old 3G only phones out there.... yes for very old BlackBerry BBOS users, this will mean the end. And for those holding onto an old 3G only Flip phone, they'll have to upgrade. But the reality is most people in the US today own a 3G/LTE phone, so they might not even notice when CDMA/GSM ends.

The bigger issue is IoT devices that were 3G only. For consumers that might be a security system that had a 3G Modem in it. For industry there are a number of products that might need updates, ATMs, Traffic Lights, Liftstations, Energy Management.... Devices that don't tend to get updated every few years like cellphone do.
    oh no! My BB Storm won’t work anymore!
    pkcable likes this.
    12-04-18 07:34 AM
    oh no! My BB Storm won’t work anymore!
    When did it ever? At least we’ll?
    pkcable and FF22 like this.
    12-04-18 01:30 PM
31 12