Oh wooaw. That's even worst...

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 09:54 AM
    A new with same priv specs but better front camera also the price about 400$

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 10:40 AM
    I was really hoping the qwerty device would be on the high end...and then release the mid-rangers. Gah! Let's hope it has close to CURRENT high-end specs so it is a device worth going forward with.
    Plazmic Flame and wilber1 like this.
    04-11-16 06:15 PM
    Another bad product like Leap (Leap where? Down the cliff?) or Z3.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-11-16 11:08 PM
    What the companies mean by it is the price range, but it automatically comes down to cutting down on the specs, such as low ppi, low-end camera etc.
    04-12-16 12:43 AM
    The qwerty phone might also be another slider? Correct?
    04-12-16 02:13 AM
    I think a slider mechanism would add too much to the cost. I'm just hoping that blackberry can add a cool new feature or something to make it an interesting device (and different in a sea of similar mid range devices) but keep it at a mid range price...perhaps overly optimistic!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-16 02:28 AM
    Mid range is a phone costing about $300 to $400 USD, with decent hardware but not the latest and greatest, a good current example is the Nexus 5x. Because brands keep churning out new models you can get last year's flagship device for $300, like say an HTC M8 or a Nexus 6, and not really feel the difference with the latest devices (in the case of the M9, it was arguably worse in some aspects). Android has also improved a lot, so there was a marked difference between 2.3 (gingerbread) and 4 (ICS), between 4 and 4.1 (jelly bean); but since 4.1 the improvements have been much less dramatic, so a mid range phone won't feel much slower than a premium device.

Many people simply cannot or would not pay more for any phone, particularly since many carriers are stopping "subsidising" them, which meant paying for the phone on their monthly bill, which is why Blackberry needs mid range devices to be relevant; at $400 the Priv would have made sense for many more people, at $650 the iPhone is a much safer option and ensures the bling factor. I could only stomach a Passport at $430, taking into account that the Nexus 5x is the cheaper, reliable and boring option.
    04-12-16 03:41 PM
    The Nexus 5X is pretty much the poster child for mid-range phones. Average camera, average screen, average battery, meh build, maybe a nice feature or two thrown in like a fingerprint sensor, priced 400-ish dollars.
    04-13-16 10:52 AM
    The Nexus 5X is pretty much the poster child for mid-range phones. Average camera, average screen, average battery, meh build, maybe a nice feature or two thrown in like a fingerprint sensor, priced 400-ish dollars.
    You meant gimmicky feature right? My friend has an Android with a fingerprint scanner and he turned it off after using it for a while because he found it faster to unlock it the normal way...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-13-16 11:41 AM
    You meant gimmicky feature right? My friend has an Android with a fingerprint scanner and he turned it off after using it for a while because he found it faster to unlock it the normal way...

Maybe on an S5 or other phone that had a notoriously finicky reader, but on the S6, S7, i6, and i6s, you don't even have a chance to look at your lockscreen before the phone is unlocked. I also don't think a now-standard security feature could ever be referred to as gimmicky.
    04-13-16 11:57 AM
    If I purchase an android device, I always prefer latest android out of the box, so that I can get 1/2 next update without any delay. Hope next nexus from HTC with great specifications. Although with BlackBerry next mid range release there is no chance to get android N out of the box, still I will prefer if it will consist of PKB.

04-13-16 12:18 PM
    Maybe on an S5 or other phone that had a notoriously finicky reader, but on the S6, S7, i6, and i6s, you don't even have a chance to look at your lockscreen before the phone is unlocked. I also don't think a now-standard security feature could ever be referred to as gimmicky.
    Fast or not, for me I will not use any biometrics on any internet connected device. They've had fingerprint scanners for computers for over a decade, still won't use them. A password or pattern could be changed if the security is compromised on your device. Biometrics cannot. No thanks. That's just me, I know I'm in the minority, but they better not ever make this the only way to unlock your phones in the future.

04-13-16 12:57 PM
    Fast or not, for me I will not use any biometrics on any internet connected device. ... I know I'm in the minority, but they better not ever make this the only way to unlock your phones in the future.
    It's used not only to unlock your phone but to control access sensitive apps - unless nobody else ever handles your unlocked phone.

Think of the current flagship smartphones. They will be mid-range phones about the time that the new iPhone is announced in September/October. There's no way that BlackBerry's mid-range phones will be mid-range phones by the time they get launched. The current flagships will be discounted by then.
    04-13-16 01:04 PM
    It's used not only to unlock your phone but to control access sensitive apps - unless nobody else ever handles your unlocked phone.

Think of the current flagship smartphones. They will be mid-range phones about the time that the new iPhone is announced in September/October. There's no way that BlackBerry's mid-range phones will be mid-range phones by the time they get launched. The current flagships will be discounted by then.
    Unlock your phone or do more than unlock your phone, I won't use biometrics on any internet connected device. Better?

And yes, knowing BB, their mid-range will be low-range by the time it comes out, lol. Oh well.

04-13-16 01:06 PM
    For BlackBerry this means : low specs, high price
    Good i still have my z30

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 01:13 PM
    If they just took the Priv, put a better front camera, removed the keyboard and sold it for 399-499 they would have something appealing.

The Priv's hardware is already dated and the front camera in it was an utter embarrassment. Those same components cost less and when you remove the cost of the keyboard and sliding mechanism, they could keep the screen, bump up the camera and leave the RAM.

Of course, what they will do is release a device with worse specs than their nearly 1 year old Priv handset, and then sell it for 599 call it mid--range, and then collectively scratch their heads in a WTF moment when it fails to sell.

I wish I was kidding, but I've seen this from BlackBerry too many times now...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-13-16 08:18 PM
    If they just took the Priv, put a better front camera, removed the keyboard and sold it for 399-499 they would have something appealing.

The Priv's hardware is already dated and the front camera in it was an utter embarrassment. Those same components cost less and when you remove the cost of the keyboard and sliding mechanism, they could keep the screen, bump up the camera and leave the RAM.

Of course, what they will do is release a device with worse specs than their nearly 1 year old Priv handset, and then sell it for 599 call it mid--range, and then collectively scratch their heads in a WTF moment when it fails to sell.

I wish I was kidding, but I've seen this from BlackBerry too many times now...

Posted via CB10
    And it will be trampled to death by $150 phones from Xiaomi and OnePlus.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-14-16 06:42 AM
    A sub 500 Classic that runs Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-16-16 11:10 PM
    the best proccesor on the market is selling for 400 bucks in the new iPhone SE.

BlackBerry needs to bring a good, cool, efficient processor, 3gb memory, a good camera with a glass protector, and a color neutral 1080p screen with NightShift build-in at the OS level

that's a phone i'd buy

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 03:09 PM
    the best proccesor on the market is selling for 400 bucks in the new iPhone SE.

BlackBerry needs to bring a good, cool, efficient processor, 3gb memory, a good camera with a glass protector, and a color neutral 1080p screen with NightShift build-in at the OS level

that's a phone i'd buy

Posted via CB10
    Apple has the benefits of their recycling program that helped them produce the iPhone SE
    04-17-16 08:46 PM
    Apple has the benefits of their recycling program that helped them produce the iPhone SE
    they still fit the best processor on the market, and one of the better camera modules on the market, into the iphone SE.

it doesn't matter that they recycled so much of it. blackberry still has to compete. and mid-range phones have great specs these days. and the oneplus three is coming out soon.

---

that said, we don't need the top processor. we just need one the is cool and efficient. I don't know what that is, however. and we don't need the most special, amoled, curved display either. A simple 720p or 1080p lcd display would suit me, depending on the panel size, and as long as the colors are accurate and the whites are white. displays are a big cost.

what we do need is a good amount of memory. 3gb minimum at this point. the Passport had 3gb and that was 2014. the S7 has 4gb.

and it's not difficult to have a glass lens protector. not plastic. a decent camera isn't difficult. and we don't need to license the fancy german lensmaker names. or add jewelry around the camera module. it costs money and looks cheesy.

we should see more glassweave. that stuff is amazing. and every reviewer loved it and commented on how great it was. no passport oil-absorbing garbage rubber, please.

let's combine the sd and sim tray like samsung. that must lower costs a few pennies. one fewer part to worry about, anyway. more elegant.

but imo, i'd really like to see a NightShift/f.lux equivalent get baked into BlackBerry-Android at the OS level. it's one of the best things about iOS for me. I use it on my laptop too. it's so easy on the eyes in dark environments

the build quality of the priv was not up to flagship standards. how is their mid-tier device going to fare?
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 04-17-16 at 11:34 PM.
    04-17-16 11:20 PM
47 12