Well, remember the Priv advert on "most Private" or words like that?

In that respect its very odd at first start-up you aren't remembered you actually dont't need a gmail account. Neither is data collection option toggled "off" in all setting and apps by default. Nor is there an app "delete all google apps". Actually quite some finding out, effort and time is required to set all switches to off.

If a company advertises with Privacy, the least it could do is to set all switches on private.

Guess there will be some openhandset rule ons this. Explanations welcome.

And I guess others will reiterate its your own choice to buy an android phone. Sure.

Is K1 having Privacy advertisements as well?

Posted via CB10
    Was it privacy or security? Lol probably should have been the latter. But they don't consider Google activity to be nefarious.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-24-17 06:39 PM
    Things should be called their names and BlackBerry should be advertised for what it is. And in my opinion, at this time BB is adding very little to Privacy and Security on android-powered devices. I'd like to see from BB some real 90 degrees changes on these fields and I'm sure people will be willing to pay even more than $549 per device. But until then, how can we even advertise this brand to our friends as more secure?
    Have you ever considered that a lot of security stuff is done "under the bonnet"? BlackBerry (and now BB Mobile) has enhanced the security of the Android kernel with their own patches ("hardened" it). And they even partnered with Google to do so. Also, depending on your carrier and country variant, BB is one of the few companies pushing out monthly security updates only a short time after Google releases them.
    09-24-17 06:43 PM
    Why do you think that no Google Apps are scanned by DTEK? Its no coincidence that those apps which are accessing your location, contacts, etc. aren't picked up by DTEK because BlackBerry can't stop Google from doing it if they want to use the Android OS.
    You should reset your phone, something must be off. Because on my KEYone, all Google apps are indeed scanned. And I can even revoke their permissions to everything. Sure, they'll stop working and ask me to grant the permissions again. But it works just as you'd expect for me.
    09-24-17 06:46 PM
    You should reset your phone, something must be off. Because on my KEYone, all Google apps are indeed scanned. And I can even revoke their permissions to everything. Sure, they'll stop working and ask me to grant the permissions again. But it works just as you'd expect for me.
    Good to know. They must have changed that because DTEK didn't used to scan any Google apps. I don't use DTEK anyway but thanks for correcting me.
    09-24-17 07:02 PM
    Have you ever considered that a lot of security stuff is done "under the bonnet"? BlackBerry (and now BB Mobile) has enhanced the security of the Android kernel with their own patches ("hardened" it). And they even partnered with Google to do so. Also, depending on your carrier and country variant, BB is one of the few companies pushing out monthly security updates only a short time after Google releases them.
    Have you considered... no one (outside of CrackBerry) really cares?

If they did, every OEM would be doing what BlackBerry is doing.... because it's options that both Qualcomm and Google have built into their products. There is no BlackBerry magic or special code. They are talking the Harden Kernel that Google provides, and they are selecting the options that they want in it's setup. Any OEM could do the same... if security was something they saw as an advantage in.

That "partnership" with Google (and the one with Samsung about the same time), were both about making BES more compatible, not about securing Android. Chen saw that BB10 was a lost cause and thus that BES12 needed to better work with Android and iOS - up to that point it was a poor choice for handling either platform. Clearly it wasn't going to be enough, and he soon after bought GOOD.

Chen says their security is better than Samsung's... but have they released any third party testing to back that up? For an IT guy that might have 10K devices to manage.... What's more important, words from a CEO that has already let him down (BB10) or companies (Apple and Samsung) with clear histories and futures?
    09-25-17 07:37 AM
    Exactly. You just need to take the time to manage the requests, permissions, and set your expectations for what you want to work on your phone and what you can live without.
    09-25-17 07:46 AM
    This.

Google is really not the one that BlackBerry is protecting you from. In fact, Google and BlackBerry are both doing their share to protect you from real threats. Does Google have access to a frightening amount of your personal information? Absolutely! Credit card information, passwords, photos of your kids, and even those scandalous email attachments from your ex... but Google is pretty good about keeping that stuff out of the wrong hands. And they have to. BlackBerry is doing the same. They should be seen as allies though.

If you are really concerned about Google, specifically, then you should probably reconsider using a device that is using their operating system at its core.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-25-17 07:51 AM
    BlackBerry lovers will be very happy if BlackBerry os is continued on further manufacturing mobile phones.
    09-25-17 08:45 AM
    Well, remember the Priv advert on "most Private" or words like that?

In that respect its very odd at first start-up you aren't remembered you actually dont't need a gmail account. Neither is data collection option toggled "off" in all setting and apps by default. Nor is there an app "delete all google apps". Actually quite some finding out, effort and time is required to set all switches to off.

If a company advertises with Privacy, the least it could do is to set all switches on private.

Guess there will be some openhandset rule ons this. Explanations welcome.

And I guess others will reiterate its your own choice to buy an android phone. Sure.

Is K1 having Privacy advertisements as well?

Posted via CB10
    It's the price for using a free OS
    09-25-17 11:35 AM
    Nothing

Posted via CB10
    09-25-17 01:22 PM
    09-25-17 10:44 PM
    I guess this is the real question from a lot of BlackBerry 10 users, and not only. Since so many people ask "What's so special in a device secured by BlackBerry, if it's running android anyway?". And this is a fair question, to which at least I don't have an honest answer I'd believe in.

All that effort that BlackBerry does to protect us from external "dangers" like DTEK, Privacy Shade, encryption and all that is fine. But I really think google can do it's job to protect all of android smartphones itself. Sure it's better to have these too, but they aren't that critical, in my opinion. So BlackBerry is "helping Google" to protect blackberry-android users from external dangers, that'd be the formula we have right now.

But since we know "what google does for living", that being data collection and advertising (at least that's what we can know) how is BlackBerry gonna protect us from that?
    Can BlackBerry build a secure ecosystem on top of android? (I think this would be the perfect option)
    To what extent can BlackBerry change android infrastructure in order to obtain the control and at the same time to have all the android functionality work?
    Were pretty much owned after the extinction of PC desktop OS10. An extremely sad year for all Blackberry users out there
    09-26-17 03:08 AM
    I had been wondering about the same thing.

However, if you read Google's Privacy Policy, they say that they don't sell your personal data to any 3rd party company nor government (and if so, each such a request is accepted/rejected manually). I really don't think Google is an extra problem. Unless some dictator gets in and "nationalizes" the company and all it's data, or if hackers won't break inside, I think we're quite safe there (at least we who do not live in US and aren't US citizens).

I wouldn't be that sure about BlackBerry, though. Their Privacy Policies have had never been so clear. BlackBerry either lets governments in, it's not such a big company so it could be bit of equal to nations. Then there is a lot of misleading info (such as BBM being well-protected, but it lacks even end2end encryption!!!). We also don't know if BlackBerry let anyone into BB10. We have no idea if there were some data collected and then - how they were used. But in case you don't allow app developers gain some non-identity-exposures data about their users nor ability to place ads, you can't be surprised they won't make apps for your OS.

In my opinion, there is no added privacy on BlackBerry Android. It's just a phone with security patches, some DTEK app which just provides info if all neccessary Android-built-in security services are on, and there might be a few addons both in hardware and software basis. Thus you can't get your device rooted, which could expose your data to potentional hackers. But yes - it's just an Android phone.
    09-26-17 03:41 AM
    Actually, no. You can use the "Android" part of the phone without handing over your data to Google. Android itself is open-source and doesn't contain any code to secretly send over your data to Google. At most, some anonymous(!) data is collected for the Android team to analyse which features people actually use.

Only when you connect your phone to a Google account, there are various things you could send to Google. But you get asked for each and every one and whether you accept to send them. And of course you can deny those requests.
    That sneaky Google is always turning on "send data" when I'm not looking. BlackBerry can have a tool that notifies you when Google is flipping switches to start sucking out your data behind your back.
    09-26-17 06:05 AM
    However, if you read Google's Privacy Policy, they say that they don't sell your personal data to any 3rd party company nor government (and if so, each such a request is accepted/rejected manually). I really don't think Google is an extra problem. Unless some dictator gets in and "nationalizes" the company and all it's data, or if hackers won't break inside, I think we're quite safe there (at least we who do not live in US and aren't US citizens).
    I'm personally against any type of data collection, unless given willingly or unless very necessary for a service to work properly.
    And we should have complete control over what is stored, how it is store (encrypted or not) for how long, if deleted - it should really be deleted, and so on. In this huge competition, will arise companies that do so, because they'll want to differentiate, and they will.
    Examples: Signal Messenger, ProtonMail.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-26-17 06:06 AM
    I'm personally against any type of data collection, unless given willingly or unless very necessary for a service to work properly.
    And we should have complete control over what is stored, how it is store (encrypted or not) for how long, if deleted - it should really be deleted, and so on. In this huge competition, will arise companies that do so, because they'll want to differentiate, and they will.
    Examples: Signal Messenger, ProtonMail.
    Then what hardware and software do you use (phone, tablet, computer)?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-17 06:53 AM
    Then what hardware and software do you use (phone, tablet, computer)?
    Ubuntu 17.04 on a PC and a windows 10 on my second PC.
    A Keyone for work and Q10 for personal use.
    No tablet.
    09-26-17 06:56 AM
    Ubuntu 17.04 on a PC and a windows 10 on my second PC.
    A Keyone for work and Q10 for personal use.
    No tablet.
    Windows 10 is quite intrusive.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-17 06:58 AM
    Windows 10 is quite intrusive.
    yeah, windows 10 is just another "amazing" story. lol
    09-26-17 07:06 AM
    yeah, windows 10 is just another "amazing" story. lol
    Yeah, I didn't know much about it when I got a new desktop last year. I set it up with my Microsoft account and quickly realized I did not want to go that route. But, I can see how it would be useful. I just didn't feel it was necessary for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-17 07:41 AM
    Let's face it, no matter what you do with the phone, the second it auto backups to a Google cloud, you have zero privacy and Google has everything it wants anyway. ALL YOUR DATA. No need to mine it when it gets flashed to a cloud in one pretty convenient lump.
    Last edited by BbClassic; 09-26-17 at 01:23 PM.
    09-26-17 08:11 AM
    Yeah, I didn't know much about it when I got a new desktop last year.
    Microsoft not too long ago made an arrogant move of pushing a lot of windows 7 and 8 users to windows 10 against their will. And that was not cool at all. Just like what happened to me recently.
    On W10, there is a skype integrated in W10 and skype as a normal app as we know it. So few weeks ago I signed out from an account from my skype app and then it wouldn't let me sign back in saying I need some "updates". So I had 2 options, to install it manually or automatically. Automatically it didn't work, giving me some error. Then when I clicked to get it manually, I was sent to a generic Skype Download link. I was like what the hell, where is the update here?!
    So I was like ok, I'll just delete my app and then install it fresh from the downloaded .exe file. Guess what, it didn't work. The .exe file wouldn't run, even if "run as administrator".
    I went back to the link where I downloaded the installer and I saw a button "Launch Skype", and I was like "But I don't have it installed". So I went to "Start" and searched for "Skype" to make sure I don't have it. Well, I had it, but not the normal app but the integrated one. And I was like, what a scheme to make people use your integrated Skype. Nice play Windows. How pity is that from their side to do such thing? Just like they did with windows 10 when people didn't want to install it.

So I had no choice but to use this integrated skype for a few weeks, since I needed it for work. But then after visiting a friend of mine who has windows 7, I typed the same keywords in google to download skype and I got another landing page where I could download a functioning skype installer. So I got it on my flash drive and installed it on my pc, then uninstalled the integrated one. Such a worm attitude from Microsoft, love them...
    Last edited by joker333; 09-26-17 at 03:00 PM.
    09-26-17 08:12 AM
    Let's face it, no matter what you do with the phone, the second it auto backups to a Google cloud, you have zero privacy and Google has everything it wants anyway. ALL YOUR DATA. No need to mine. it when it gets flashed to a cloud in one pretty convenient lump.
    Totally agree. But I still think they wouldn't be able to get into a closed ecosystem build on top of their OS. But yeah, what's inside of it, is doomed, since it can be copied and transferred altogether.
    09-26-17 08:16 AM
    Ubuntu 17.04 on a PC
    I hope you removed all packages regarding Landscape, too.
    09-26-17 03:53 PM
    It is very simple really. You do want privacy from Google. Do not use Google services. Amazon store and get apps from there. You really do not need to share anything with Google if you do not want to. In no way functionality of your phone will be affected.
    10-01-17 12:47 PM
56 123