Forgive my ignorance... What exactly is an autoloader, what does it do, and why is it useful?
    Spunton_Duddley likes this.
    07-12-18 05:01 PM
    No ignorance, you're good and also in the right place for answers.

It's an executable and official BlackBerry OS installation file that you can download to reinstall Android by BlackBerry, BlackBerry 10, or BlackBerry OS7.1.

You find the 'autoloader' required for whatever BlackBerry device you need to reload the OS on and download it to your Windows PC. Then you plug your phone into the PC via USB in order to launch the 'autoloader' to install it onto your BlackBerry.

It's the operating system file(s).
    pantagruel_bb and elfabio80 like this.
    07-12-18 05:07 PM
    Obviously, you want to backup your data so you can restore it if you ever need to install an 'autoloader' for your BlackBerry.
    pantagruel_bb likes this.
    07-12-18 05:09 PM
    Since the question was made here, at the KEYone message board, just keep in mind that on Blackberry Android devices you should always use an autoloader newer than the version current installed on your device, otherwise you'll turn your phone into a fancy brick.
    Ex.: If you have the May update installed on your device, don't try to run autoloaders previous to that (trying to restore a previous update will make your device inoperable).
    07-12-18 08:11 PM
    Since the question was made here, at the KEYone message board, just keep in mind that on Blackberry Android devices you should always use an autoloader newer than the version current installed on your device, otherwise you'll turn your phone into a fancy brick.
    Ex.: If you have the May update installed on your device, don't try to run autoloaders previous to that (trying to restore a previous update will make your device inoperable).
    Exactly. Thanks for mentioning this because we definitely don't wanna cause issues here! That's for sure.

:-)
    07-12-18 08:24 PM
    Please follow what 'wmatsura' said there. That's a must.

My apologies for not making that clear from the start.
    07-12-18 08:26 PM
    Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful!
    Spunton_Duddley likes this.
    07-12-18 08:47 PM
    No problem!

Gave you a 'like' because you came to the right place.

Take care!

:-)
    07-12-18 09:07 PM
    Why can't you go beyond the last date you have? Why does it brick exactly?
    07-12-18 10:45 PM
    And it what situations should I use autoloaders?
    07-13-18 10:16 AM
    Personally, I hadn't heard anything about this until that reply. I trust the person who posted about potential 'bricking' due to incorrect autoloaders because that sounds really bad and I'd prefer a user A) doesn't experience that at all and B) prevent creating a possible issue in addition to whatever the problem is.
    07-13-18 03:54 PM
    And it what situations should I use autoloaders?
    Autoloaders are used almost as a last resort when it comes to troubleshooting a BlackBerry device.

It's reinstalling the entire OS from scratch. So, same as 'formatting C to install Windows' - but in this case you're installing a BlackBerry OS.
    07-13-18 03:55 PM
    Personally, I hadn't heard anything about this until that reply. I trust the person who posted about potential 'bricking' due to incorrect autoloaders because that sounds really bad and I'd prefer a user A) doesn't experience that at all and B) prevent creating a possible issue in addition to whatever the problem is.
    It has been posted all the time. I am not questioning whether it is true but rather why.
    07-13-18 06:12 PM
    BB promotes (or at least used to promote) downgrade prevention as part of their "security", to prevent OSes with known security flaws from being loaded, except there's no real way to figure out the earliest OS that will load. There's no hints in the OS version string, or a value that can be pulled out of fastboot to get the minimum loadable OS.

Worse, the "is this downgrade acceptable" step in an OS flash happens after loading the new software rather than before flashing as it was on BB10, which is why the device gets stuck in bootloader mode attempting to load software that the bootloader rejects.

That said, the most fragile devices when it comes to this are the DTEKs, the KEYone/etc. are less finicky when it comes to downgrading to last month's OS or whatever.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-18 06:16 PM
    BB promotes (or at least used to promote) downgrade prevention as part of their "security", to prevent OSes with known security flaws from being loaded, except there's no real way to figure out the earliest OS that will load. There's no hints in the OS version string, or a value that can be pulled out of fastboot to get the minimum loadable OS.

Worse, the "is this downgrade acceptable" step in an OS flash happens after loading the new software rather than before flashing as it was on BB10, which is why the device gets stuck in bootloader mode attempting to load software that the bootloader rejects.

That said, the most fragile devices when it comes to this are the DTEKs, the KEYone/etc. are less finicky when it comes to downgrading to last month's OS or whatever.
    Thanks.
    07-13-18 06:24 PM
    It has been posted all the time. I am not questioning whether it is true but rather why.
    Okie dokes. Ummm... all good.
    07-13-18 06:57 PM