Can anyone advise please, what is APPS listed as app on Keyone - white “smile” on blue rectangle above orange vertical stripes. It keeps wanting me to give it permissions e.g.phone. Do I need it? Can I delete it? Thanks!
    07-06-20 08:08 AM
    Can anyone advise please, what is APPS listed as app on Keyone - white “smile” on blue rectangle above orange vertical stripes. It keeps wanting me to give it permissions e.g.phone. Do I need it? Can I delete it? Thanks!
    You can disable it. It was a mechanism for TCL to load other programs on your device without going through Play Store. Apart from a mistake once, it's not used.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-06-20 09:32 AM
    Many thanks for your explanation - I'll disable it.
    07-06-20 09:35 AM
    I had that App randomly appear on my phone as well. I did not realise a chinese company could push apps onto my phone with it....really not buying blackberry security claims anymore. They sold out to a company with ties to the CCP. Just great

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-15-20 04:23 PM
    I had that App randomly appear on my phone as well. I did not realise a chinese company could push apps onto my phone with it....really not buying blackberry security claims anymore. They sold out to a company with ties to the CCP. Just great

Posted via CB10
    As I understand it, any OEM could do that with the OEM produced hardware. Even BlackBerry on BBOS and BB10 at will.
    07-15-20 07:06 PM
    Sure any manufacturer could technically do it...not many have any incentive to do so..except if under a orwellian communist regime. My point is China has a Very agressive spying policy and has a steak in all chinese companies. And you could Say all countries spy but China takes to the next levél. They're probably reading this right now. I must find my tinfoil protective head gear

Posted via CB10
    07-15-20 09:10 PM
    Sure any manufacturer could technically do it...not many have any incentive to do so..except if under a orwellian communist regime. My point is China has a Very agressive spying policy and has a steak in all chinese companies. And you could Say all countries spy but China takes to the next levél. They're probably reading this right now. I must find my tinfoil protective head gear

Posted via CB10
    Well, this is not one of those. Simply advertising - plain and simple.
    07-15-20 11:55 PM
    We woudn't know either way

Posted via CB10
    07-16-20 09:27 AM
    We woudn't know either way

Posted via CB10
    Sure we do. We've analyzed the connections that are made by the app.
    07-16-20 09:49 AM
    Right, well that's Very interesting. What was the purpose of your examination? Also could those connections be diverted by the company? I know Zoom had an issue with that not to long ago, diverted the data traffic through China for some unknown reason. (I know it's starting to get old, but I have legit concerns with companies founded there)

Posted via CB10
    07-16-20 10:27 AM
    Right, well that's Very interesting. What was the purpose of your examination? Also could those connections be diverted by the company? I know Zoom had an issue with that not to long ago, diverted the data traffic through China for some unknown reason. (I know it's starting to get old, but I have legit concerns with companies founded there)

Posted via CB10
    All Conite can do is monitor the traffic that flows through the Android stack, not those that choose to try and circumvent it.... which would be firmware or apps installed by Google or an OEM.

One assumes that with BlackBerry's name on the Phone... BlackBerry is monitoring BBMo devices and making sure that they do not tread where they shouldn't. I'd be good with that...

Google has too much to risk trying to backdoor things for their own purposes.

But it's why I'd never trust something from OEMs like Blu or Unihertz.
    07-16-20 10:42 AM
    All Conite can do is monitor the traffic that flows through the Android stack, not those that choose to try and circumvent it.... which would be firmware or apps installed by Google or an OEM.

But it's why I'd never trust something from OEMs like Blu or Unihertz.
    Those OEM's operate under the same rules as OPPO, Vivo, Huawei, Xiaomi and even TCL. I wouldn't trust any of them, even if they have bought the right to slap a blackberry logo to the back of their device. And I Say that with a TCL keyone as my daily driver. I got that stupid APPS pushed to my phone as well. Never asked for it, completely unnecesary

Posted via CB10
    07-16-20 11:20 AM
    Those OEM's operate under the same rules as OPPO, Vivo, Huawei, Xiaomi and even TCL. I wouldn't trust any of them, even if they have bought the right to slap a blackberry logo to the back of their device. And I Say that with a TCL keyone as my daily driver. I got that stupid APPS pushed to my phone as well. Never asked for it, completely unnecesary

Posted via CB10
    The software for BlackBerry Mobile devices was injected on the factory floor via a real-time connection with Waterloo. The hardware would only accept a software package signed by BlackBerry Limited.

Yes, Apps was a mistake when it became active - which was meant for Alcatel devices. The error was discovered and corrected rather swiftly - probably at the behest of BlackBerry Limited.

I was personally comfortable with the oversight in the case of BlackBerry Mobile.

But I agree with your overall concerns, and I would not buy a future smartphone from a Chinese OEM - Google, Samsung, or Nokia only.
    07-16-20 11:37 AM
    The software for BlackBerry Mobile devices was injected on the factory floor via a real-time connection with Waterloo. The hardware would only accept a software package signed by BlackBerry Limited.

Yes, Apps was a mistake when it became active - which was meant for Alcatel devices. The error was discovered and corrected rather swiftly - probably at the behest of BlackBerry Limited.

I was personally comfortable with the oversight in the case of BlackBerry Mobile.

But I agree with your overall concerns, and I would not buy a future smartphone from a Chinese OEM - Google, Samsung, or Nokia only.
    Would you consider phones from LG and Sony too... I wonder how many Android phone manufacturer's are not Chinese? Would be interesting to compile a list...
    07-16-20 11:50 AM