Hi guys,

Well, after 10 months I thought I had dodged a bullet. On May 30th 2017 I ordered my Keyone. Received it on June 7th and was delighted. Then came the dreaded reports of screen pop-outs. For the first few days I was paranoid and was afraid of dropping my KO. I had ordered a case from Insipio and moved on. From that time my KO has been a great device. On two occasions I did drop the phone onto the hard ground. With bated breadth , I gasped and waited for the screen to pop right off. Like the batteries used to in "Ye olden days". It never happened. Thank you Insipio case. You did your job well.

This evening while responding to a message. I noticed the bottom part of the screen starting to flex. Could it be? Has it finally happened to my poor little KO? Yep , and there it is. 10 months in and the screen has finally detached itself from the chassis. I shall be giving Blackberry mobile CS a call tomorrow to see what they will do for me. In the meantime. Sim has gone back into my beloved Classic (with no remorse). For the time being, it will fulfill it's duties until I get my Keyone repaired or replaced.

Just wanted to share my experience with you all.
    Last edited by schlemer; 04-22-18 at 07:35 AM.
    anon(10443945) and DWonder like this.
    04-21-18 10:35 PM
    Well, it is unfortunate that the screen did pop out, but hey, you'll have a brand new phone now.
    04-21-18 10:41 PM
    You are actually very lucky it happened in the warranty time!
    04-22-18 02:16 AM
    And even more luckier that you kept the classic. This is a good example for a reason not to trade in a BB10 phone when purchasing a new blackdroid ;-) Hopefully you will get it sorted soon.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    Eugen Unson likes this.
    04-22-18 02:20 AM
    You are actually very lucky it happened in the warranty time!
    There should absolutely not be a "warranty period of 1 year from launch" for this issue which is a MANUFACTURER DEFECT. This warranty should extend to each and every unit that has its screen pop out, period. Whether it happened the day they bought it or two years after, this is never supposed to happen.
    falbo and anon(2695703) like this.
    04-22-18 05:59 AM
    There should absolutely not be a "warranty period of 1 year from launch" for this issue which is a MANUFACTURER DEFECT. This warranty should extend to each and every unit that has its screen pop out, period. Whether it happened the day they bought it or two years after, this is never supposed to happen.
    Yep. I agree. But I wan't to see him going to Court just because the screen on his phone popped up a month after his warranty period expired.

He is certainly lucky, at least at this point. There is absolutely no reason to discuss how bad it is, that's a waste of time since it will hardly make things change. Let's see how BBMo faces this in the future.
    04-22-18 06:05 AM
    And even more luckier that you kept the classic. This is a good example for a reason not to trade in a BB10 phone when purchasing a new blackdroid ;-) Hopefully you will get it sorted soon.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    I don't know a single person who doesn't have at least one or two older phones (mainly smartphones these days). As long as the actual value of Classic is close to zero, trade-in won't be that bad idea (if the actual price for the new phone makes sense to you). In case your new phone breaks, you can still borrow some older phone from your friend. You'll save a few dozens bucks and won't keep something which you'll use maybe twice in the rest of your life.

Also borrowing some other phone isn't that bad as you might try something you'd probably never tried on your own. One day I got to some Motorola this way and was really surprised how good it was (I used to be a die-hard Sony fan). Discovering new waters isn't always bad (unless you need to run your 50-employees company and don't have time to play with phones, but, honestly, in that case you'll hardly ever more use Classic).
    04-22-18 06:10 AM
    Here is the funny thing. I recently reformatted my Classic and started setting it up to mess around with. I also love reading text on my Passport, so that's still around as well. After seeing how I would manage with the classic. The Keyone screen issue happened . I honestly think my Keyone got jealous and a bit scared and couldn't hold it together . Anyway, after reading all of the issues on this matter on Crackberry. It was just a matter of time. I am actually surprised my launch Keyone lasted this long. From time to time I would check the screen, and nothing. Like skrble said, lucky it occurred within the warranty period. Also to falbo -Yes, it is a good thing that I am obsessive about both my Classic and Passport. Even with the death of BB10 and BB world. They still both do what I need them to do.
    DWonder likes this.
    04-22-18 07:24 AM
    Hi guys,

Well, after 10 months I thought I had dodged a bullet. On May 30th 2017 I ordered my Keyone. Received it on June 7th and was delighted. Then came the dreaded reports of screen pop-outs. For the first few days I was paranoid and was afraid of dropping my KO. I had ordered a case from Insipio and moved on. From that time my KO has been a great device. On two occasions I did drop the phone onto the hard ground. With bated breadth , I gasped and waited for the screen to pop right off. Like the batteries used to in "Ye olden days". It never happened. Thank you Insipio case. You did your job well.

This evening while responding to a message. I noticed the bottom part of the screen starting to flex. Could it be? Has it finally happened to my poor little KO? Yep , and there it is. 10 months in and the screen has finally detached itself from the chassis. I shall be giving Blackberry mobile CS a call tomorrow to see what they will do for me. In the meantime. Sim has gone back into my beloved Classic (with no remorse). For the time being, it will fulfill it's duties until I get my Keyone repaired or replaced.

Be prepared for a 17-20 day turnaround and a sub-par repair.
    04-22-18 08:17 AM
    Yeah from reading around the forums, it can be pretty inconsistent. Expect the worse and hopefully be surprised by actually decent customer service delay
    04-22-18 09:29 AM
    Mine took about 12 days total. I sent it in the day before Christmas eve and got it 3 days after Christmas. I was in shock

But yes, I took went back to my beloved Classic and was kinda sad when I got the KEYone back so quick, lol. Didnt even get to use it a whole week :-(
    Last edited by DWonder; 04-22-18 at 12:35 PM.
    schlemer likes this.
    04-22-18 09:39 AM
    I almost forgot how smooth the hub is on BBOS10. My needs for Blackberry are quite humble. So the stock version for now is plenty good for me. My distain for social media grow stronger every day. So not really an issue.

I don't have any real issues with the android eco system. As a mater of fact, I prefer it over iOS. Going back to the Classic has been refreshing though. If the Keyone had the same keyboard as the Classic, it would have been a perfect device. Despite the "Murphy bed screen".
    DWonder and BerryRipe like this.
    04-22-18 10:18 AM
    I used Scotch tape on four corners to hold it together without fear of using it till I sent it off.
    04-22-18 10:50 AM
    Hi guys,

They will send you a refurbished device. They will give you the option for them to send you the refurbished fevice FIRST with a return shipping label for your defected KEYone. Only thing they ask in return is your credit card information in case you try to be a funny guy and not send it your defected device, lol.
    04-23-18 01:15 AM
    They will send you a refurbished device. They will give you the option for them to send you the refurbished fevice FIRST with a return shipping label for your defected KEYone. Only thing they ask in return is your credit card information in case you try to be a funny guy and not send it your defected device, lol.
    As you said, The Customer Service rep gave me the option of a refurbished unit or a repair. I opted for the repair. I already have my Keyone packed and will be dropping it off to fedex today. I removed the Sim and SD cards and preformed a system wipe. Now comes the waiting game.
    04-23-18 05:40 AM
    As you said, The Customer Service rep gave me the option of a refurbished unit or a repair. I opted for the repair. I already have my Keyone packed and will be dropping it off to fedex today. I removed the Sim and SD cards and preformed a system wipe. Now comes the waiting game.
    The repair will probably just end up being a refurbished device also. I shattered the screen on my Black Edition and BlackBerry Mobile sent me back a silver lol. If they send you a silver for a silver you'd never notice. However, the one they send you back may not be a factory unlocked unit (assuming you're sending them a factory unlocked unit). Just be picky with them and make sure you get the proper device back.
    04-23-18 10:02 AM
    well my keyone screen fell off , and so I sent it back to blackberry mobile and within 7 days I received a brand new phone this was awesome great service
    FF22 and schlemer like this.
    04-23-18 10:48 AM
    I shattered the screen on my Black Edition and BlackBerry Mobile sent me back a silver lol.
    Are you serious?? Wtfffff

Just be picky with them and make sure you get the proper device back.
    Maybe if there's a distinctive enough scratch or ding on the phone you could take a photo before sending so when you get the fixed refurb back you know if it's a different unit.
    04-23-18 11:26 AM
    The repair will probably just end up being a refurbished device also. I shattered the screen on my Black Edition and BlackBerry Mobile sent me back a silver lol. If they send you a silver for a silver you'd never notice. However, the one they send you back may not be a factory unlocked unit (assuming you're sending them a factory unlocked unit). Just be picky with them and make sure you get the proper device back.
    It's all good. While I would prefer my original keyone. As long as the refurbished unit is a good one. I would be OK with it.
    However, I'm hopeful that they can repair my old one. The screen was still somewhat attached.
    Last edited by schlemer; 04-23-18 at 01:29 PM.
    04-23-18 12:29 PM
    Here is the funny thing. I recently reformatted my Classic and started setting it up to mess around with. I also love reading text on my Passport, so that's still around as well. After seeing how I would manage with the classic. The Keyone screen issue happened . I honestly think my Keyone got jealous and a bit scared and couldn't hold it together . Anyway, after reading all of the issues on this matter on Crackberry. It was just a matter of time. I am actually surprised my launch Keyone lasted this long. From time to time I would check the screen, and nothing. Like skrble said, lucky it occurred within the warranty period. Also to falbo -Yes, it is a good thing that I am obsessive about both my Classic and Passport. Even with the death of BB10 and BB world. They still both do what I need them to do.
    Yeah I also have a back up I got a q10 great back up and it's the same as the classic.. Actually prefer it to be honest
    schlemer likes this.
    04-23-18 01:11 PM
    Are you serious?? Wtfffff

Maybe if there's a distinctive enough scratch or ding on the phone you could take a photo before sending so when you get the fixed refurb back you know if it's a different unit.
    I don't know if the IMEI number can be copied or re-used on different unit but suspect that the Serial Number should be unique to the device. Both can be found in Main Settings, About, Status.
    04-23-18 01:24 PM
    I don't know if the IMEI number can be copied or re-used on different unit but suspect that the Serial Number should be unique to the device. Both can be found in Main Settings, About, Status.
    I don't think it can. However, I did write it down and I have the original box with all that info.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-23-18 01:31 PM
    Totally sympathise with all that's being said here - and I'm amused that I'm not the only KeyOne user who always prefixes the name "Classic" with the word "beloved"!

As I've posted elsewhere I've had the screen issue too and, in itself, it was dealt with fairly well - i seem to have got a repair, though until I checked the IMEI number I'd thought it was a new phone, as some scratches had "disappeared"; I assume the whole outer bits including the glass are perhaps delivered as one unit.

However, because of the numerous ongoing issues with the KeyOne, and the fact that in my view Android is not fit to lick OS10's boots, I'm thinking of giving up altogether on the KeyOne, having had one since summer 2017. Despite its unsupported OS and obsolescent hardware, the Classic is a joy to use in comparison.
    04-24-18 02:47 AM
    you should try a Priv!
    04-24-18 02:59 AM
    you should try a Priv!
    It's a smart-looking phone, but I think too big for my pockets - and the killer for me would be the lack of toolbelt.
    04-24-18 03:04 AM
56 123