According to Steve Cistulli on Twitter there are some official launch dates for North America. May 5th.

I guess initial demand has exceeded supply and they are looking to make sure that all the demand is filled.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveCistulli?ref_src=twsrc

I really hope this doesn't turn out like a Passport style launch where it becomes big time "news" about all the sales of a Passport device and than a few months later it becomes clear that less than a million devices were officially sold.

Good luck to BlackBerry Mobile though!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-17 03:49 PM
    What competes against the KEYone?
    The other flagships. I'm sooo tempted by a Galaxy S8 plus. But I want a KEYone. I've gotten used to a pp for work and Android for everything else and I just sold my Priv and I have an upgrade just sitting there waiting to be burnt. Feeling very twitchy. Very twitchy indeed!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-17 03:53 PM
    According to Steve Cistulli on Twitter there are some official launch dates for North America. May 5th.

I guess initial demand has exceeded supply and they are looking to make sure that all the demand is filled.

I really hope this doesn't turn out like a Passport style launch where it becomes big time "news" about all the sales of a Passport device and than a few months later it becomes clear that less than a million devices were officially sold.

Posted via CB10
    He says May, but not the 5th. It's the 5th tweet about this, hence the 5.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze and Sean Flaherty like this.
    03-31-17 03:54 PM
    At least I can try to blame it on TCL instead of blackberry

Posted via CB10
    03-31-17 03:56 PM
    He says May, but not the 5th. It's the 5th tweet about this, hence the 5.

Posted via CB10
    Correct, not the 5th. He actually says they'll have more information coming as they get into May. Which tells me that it will be later in May that phones are available.
    03-31-17 04:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Initial demand has not exceeded supply, that was just some damage control by Steve and him trying to put a positive spin on it. The phone will sell in very small numbers as it is a niche phone, even doubling the demand would still be manageable to manufacture on time. The telltale signs were there when they committed to an entire month rather than a date for release. And then as we got closer to that month, still no news until today. It's clear that they've been running behind on this for a while, we're just getting confirmation of that now though.
    03-31-17 04:50 PM
    Initial demand has not exceeded supply, that was just some damage control by Steve and him trying to put a positive spin on it. The phone will sell in very small numbers as it is a niche phone, even doubling the demand would still be manageable to manufacture on time. The telltale signs were there when they committed to an entire month rather than a date for release. And then as we got closer to that month, still no news until today. It's clear that they've been running behind on this for a while, we're just getting confirmation of that now though.

I agree that something not expected did occur that resulted in a delay. When they launched the device at Mobile World Congress they had the President of TCL talking about April. A few days ago Steve tweeted about a big month ahead about the device and now that's been pushed back till sometime in May.

I really do hope that the initial demand exceeded supply but I don't know how much that demand was unless they got serious confirmation from corporate and government users that they would upgrade. I suspect, like previously, BlackBerry announced something to TCL last minute that wasn't good.

Similar things happened when BlackBerry was running their own show hardware wise and it happened under original management, Heins with BlackBerry 10, Chen with Classic and others and now with the new licensing agreement. I love this company but, wow, hit a deadline for once device wise

Posted via CB10
    03-31-17 04:56 PM
    I agree that something not expected did occur that resulted in a delay. When they launched the device at Mobile World Congress they had the President of TCL talking about April. A few days ago Steve tweeted about a big month ahead about the device and now that's been pushed back till sometime in May.

I really do hope that the initial demand exceeded supply but I don't know how much that demand was unless they got serious confirmation from corporate and government users that they would upgrade. I suspect, like previously, BlackBerry announced something to TCL last minute that wasn't good.

Similar things happened when BlackBerry was running their own show hardware wise and it happened under original management, Heins with BlackBerry 10, Chen with Classic and others and now with the new licensing agreement. I love this company but, wow, hit a deadline for once device wise

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing BlackBerry doesn't have the software ready even though the hardware is.
    03-31-17 05:01 PM
    He doesn't say May 5th he just means that's the 5th tweet in his little statement
    bendiep1991 likes this.
    03-31-17 05:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    What initial demand? Unless they show that they pre-sold a few million of these to enterprise, there isn't really any "initial" demand.
    03-31-17 05:30 PM
    What initial demand? Unless they show that they pre-sold a few million of these to enterprise, there isn't really any "initial" demand.
    That's just damage control. Even if they doubled their demand, a production line could run the hardware off in no time. Many speculate it's on BlackBerry's end and not TCL, they could be right.
    03-31-17 05:34 PM
    That's just damage control. Even if they doubled their demand, a production line could run the hardware off in no time. Many speculate it's on BlackBerry's end and not TCL, they could be right.
    Considering that most of them now work for Ford, I suppose it could be on BlackBerry's end that the software isn't ready.
    03-31-17 05:37 PM
    He doesn't say May 5th he just means that's the 5th tweet in his little statement
    Yeah correct. Sadly that's another open-ended date again...
    03-31-17 05:39 PM
    I'm not sure what this lack of information is. They announced the phone at MWC, and said it would be available in April. Nothing tells me that won't happen.
    Have you become a believer like us yet? Believers don't need to have anything tell you something won't happen. We have faith that somehow, something will get screwed up when it comes to a BB phone launch regardless of who's launching it.
    03-31-17 05:59 PM
    The other flagships. I'm sooo tempted by a Galaxy S8 plus. But I want a KEYone. I've gotten used to a pp for work and Android for everything else and I just sold my Priv and I have an upgrade just sitting there waiting to be burnt. Feeling very twitchy. Very twitchy indeed!
    These days, what's to stop you from upgrading to the S8+, try the KEYone later and decide between the two? You can always sell the S8+ since it's an upgrade (which I'm guessing you either use or not and your mobile bill stays the same?). S8+ sale finances the KEYone.
    03-31-17 06:09 PM
    These days, what's to stop you from upgrading to the S8+, try the KEYone later and decide between the two? You can always sell the S8+ since it's an upgrade (which I'm guessing you either use or not and your mobile bill stays the same?). S8+ sale finances the KEYone.
    You raise an interesting option. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted via CB10
    03-31-17 06:15 PM
    It would be really unfortunate if it's on BlackBerry's end and BlackBerry doesn't fess up about it, as TCL probably doesn't want to post a blame at BlackBerry. It would be bad form to a partner and wouldn't speed up the situation either.

If it's on TCL/BlackBerry Mobile, they could post about where they are in the production pipeline to keep people who demand updates appeased, like they did with the keyboards and TUMI accessories.

I don't make it a point to check for his tweets, but it sure seems like he's been busy updating since MWC. He /does/ speak for BlackBerry Mobile, so there's been communication since MWC. Why were some people claiming that it went quiet after MWC?
    03-31-17 06:26 PM
    That's if parts are available...
    03-31-17 06:29 PM
    I'm praying that tomorrow Steve tweets 'Psych! April fools! Start your orders for the KEYone at blackberrymobile.com starting now!'

But in all honesty, why are you all fighting about whose fault it is and how ****ty it is for BlackBerry? It doesn't matter what we say, think, or do. It's late and that's all there is to it. Complaining and pointing fingers won't make it come any faster or make BlackBerry more successful.

Most of us have been waiting for this badboy for 500+ days, what's 30 more but a drop in a bucket.
    03-31-17 06:53 PM
    That's a great idea.
    03-31-17 07:14 PM
    I'm not making a grand point. You go on keep being the ultimate apologist for what clearly is an absolute botch job which will now extend into 5 months and counting. I get it you went to meet ups or whatever but the reality is, you seem to find it impossible to admit that the path taken to this point is simply a ridiculous strategy. Regardless of what factors you or others claim might be the case behind it, everyone in this space faces those same factors yet I haven't seen too many handle it this way. Especially when they are trying to resurrect a brand.
    So stating that the hardware was unfinished and had problems (such as most of them having uneven keyboard backlighting...) is being an apologist??

Man, your logic is on point tonight...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-31-17 07:33 PM
    So stating that the hardware was unfinished and had problems (such as most of them having uneven keyboard backlighting...) is being an apologist??

Man, your logic is on point tonight...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Lol ya nice try. Maybe not that particular comment but go ahead and scroll back in all these threads about how the launch has gone to this point.
    bendiep1991 likes this.
    03-31-17 07:37 PM
    Lol ya nice try. Maybe not that particular comment but go ahead and scroll back in all these threads about how the launch has gone to this point.
    Totally agree. His only priority seems to be to keep things 'positive' in the forum, he seems to be very in denial at times.
    03-31-17 08:10 PM
    It's going to be cheaper as well since more would be made and spread the cost out
    Stay chill.

Posted from my  Passport
    03-31-17 08:19 PM
    You mean about my comments on its lack of wireless charging?

Edit: Oh oops, obviously you weren't talking about those comments. What I meant was my comments about how I wish it had one more GB of RAM??

Edit2: Oh, oops, obviously not that either. Oh, just that I don't mind a delay as long as it's a finished product? Oh ok, so that one comment makes me an apologist. Yep, logic on point!!

Edit3: Oh, and technically, you supported it not having wireless charging, does that make you an apologist too?

Edit4: Yes, I'm doing this edit thing on purpose. ;-)
    03-31-17 08:23 PM
615 ... 89101112 ...