I have been transferring from the Passport to the Keyone, and it seems like the Keyone is really weak to water, at least in comparison to the Passport.

Background: Had been walking home during rainy season, and the sudden downpour drenched it. Because I was an *****, I didn't close the pocket of my rain jacket. But what's done is done. By the time I got back home, the phone was wet and there was residual water in the case. The only upside is any damage would have been (presumably) fresh water damage.

I already ordered another Keyone in the very likely scenario that I can't save this one, but any suggestions would be helpful. Also, please keep in mind the fact that since I just moved for work, I don't have any of the "tools" that a normal house might have. I.e. For a few weeks, I will be unable to open up the phone. I also don't have a fan, but I could potentially buy that.

Things I've done: put it in a bag of rice + silica packets because I didn't have enough silica packets to cover. Attempted to turn it on after 24 hours and 48 hours. There is now keyboard response (backlit, and responding to my fingerprint) but no touchscreen response (the screen is dark).

TL;DR Wet phone (now dry/drying) still has unresponsive screen after 48 hours, and I'm wondering whether the display is toast or not.
    07-06-17 06:16 PM
    Probably.

I would put it in a car with the windows cracked where the CAR is in the sun (but the phone MUST NOT BE!!!). Make sure it's OFF!

Let it sit for 2-3 hours. That will drive the water out. Bring it inside and allow it to cool to room temperature. If that fails you're probably toast.
    07-06-17 06:35 PM
    Bad luck I guess. The KEYone is not the only phone that's weak to water, I believe that so far any KEYone is prone to water damage and hence not water resistant. Can I suggest a way to try and dry your phone, it may or may not work although I've successfully done this to non smart phones i.e Nokia etc. Try holding the phone underneath one of those hot air hand dryers that are found in restrooms. Make sure to move the phone around and not focus in one place so as to avoid it overheating. Good luck.
    07-06-17 06:36 PM
    put in a bowl of rice. happened to me once before and this trick worked.
    leave it in over night. just plain rice.
    07-06-17 06:46 PM
    Rice "sort of" works; the rice is hygroscopic (absorbs water.) But what works better is controlled heat. Not enough to damage it (and few people have a means of controlled heating that's accurate enough -- you want about 120F or so, NO HIGHER!) so the car-in-sun, with the phone OUT of the sun (e.g. where the sun cannot hit it directly), windows cracked (so the moist air in the vehicle can get out) is the best option.

This will not work for salt water (at all) because the salt is conductive and the destruction is almost-always instantaneous and permanent. But it MIGHT work for fresh water. Maybe. The problem is that if a short has already taken out some of the circuitry there's nothing you can do. I have successfully rescued cameras and other electronics this way, however, so it's definitely worth a try.
    07-06-17 10:27 PM
    Immediately turn it off and shove it in a bag of silica gel/desiccant and let it sit for 12-24hrs before turning on, the longer the better. You can find silica gel/desiccant in the kitty litter section of walmart or a pet store. It looks like clear salt, the type to melt snow.

Everyone will say put it in rice but it's 2017 silica gel works 1000x better. Rice will prevent moisture but silica gel sucks it out and holds it in the silica rocks. Also great for drying damp dope lol
    07-06-17 11:15 PM
    Your phone is toast and no warranty claim will be honoured.
    07-06-17 11:21 PM
    Buy a new one
    07-06-17 11:22 PM