I thought I would post this as a warning to my fellow Crackberries. For the reasons below, if you receive a replacement phone make sure you do a security wipe before setting it up.

My Keyone experienced the dreaded "falling off screen" issue last week. It literally just fell off after I picked it up. I returned it to Telus who shipped it to the Alcatel Dedicated Repair Centre in Mississauga. I received a replacement phone today. I am assuming it is a refurb.

When we turned it on, we noted that the default language was not English. It had non-English characters but I cannot say what the language was. Not really seeing this as a big deal we proceeded to setup the phone, connect it to our BES, and install two email accounts in the Hub along with a VPN and BBM.

When we checked the BES the phone was red-flagged as having a rooted OS. When I opened the Dtek for Blackberry App (very useful BTW) it stated that there was a non-Blackberry OS on the phone and it was rooted. The security level was "poor".

We proceeded to do a security wipe on the phone and that restored the factory OS. We setup the phone again and both the BES and the DTEK app now state that it is secure.

This is just a warning. If you get a repaired phone make sure you do a security wipe BEFORE setting it up. I cannot believe that an authorized repair facility would send out a rooted phone. My guess is they either didn't properly wipe the phone when they refurbished it, or someone in the repair facility is rooting phones.

I ended up having to change my passwords. I am hoping that none of the information that was on the phone before the wipe was compromised.

I have reported this to the repair facility, Telus, and Blackberry.
    10-06-17 07:41 PM
    I don't think this is possible. Really?
    10-06-17 07:44 PM
    Did you take photos of this rooted KEYone?
    10-06-17 07:47 PM
    Well you can't root a Keyone. Most likely the phone sent to you was not properly wiped and sent in error. But that asks for more questions... when you wiped the phone did it ask for a password?
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-06-17 07:51 PM
    I think DTEK overreacting is likelier than an actual root; I know enough playing around with the diagnostic and testing features (like the ones to get the manufacture date) causes DTEK to throw a fit.
    FF22 and duncan86 like this.
    10-06-17 08:19 PM
    If you install certain diagnostic apps that access system values and properties like GPS fixer for example in the Play Store, the DTEK app will go red in a jiffy and claim it's rooted. Hahaha. DTEK can be a little sensitive as Thurask has mentioned. in any event you did the right thing by addressing the potential breach with a wipe. And isn't that what we bought BlackBerry devices for. Better it over react then under react. Right?
    FF22 and duncan86 like this.
    10-06-17 08:45 PM
    ya this has nothing to do with a rooted phone.

one of my end users at work also had a phone show up as rooted on the BES 12 server and in the dtek app. This is a bug that sometimes happends which requires a security wipe to fix. blackberry is aware of the issue.
    10-07-17 09:30 AM
    The biggest sign that points to this phone 100% never being rooted is the fact that a factory reset fixed the issue. Wiping data would absolutely NEVER remove root permission - the only way to undo root is to complete reload the firmware which is a much more extensive process than simply a factory reset. This fact, along with the Key1's hardware root of trust, proves that your phone was never rootedm
    FF22 and Drg84 like this.
    10-07-17 09:41 AM
    This ^^^^
    10-07-17 10:23 AM
    Interesting. I hope it was just a bug as I was very concerned about my data being compromised. We security wiped it from the BES so no password was required. It was very concerning though, especially with the foreign language being used when we first turned it on. You would think they would fully reset it to factory values prior to the phone being sent out.
    10-07-17 12:26 PM
    INSOMIAC10, Good to know. Thanks.
    10-07-17 12:27 PM