Get a load of this............Release from TCL.

The global success of KEYone right out of the gates caught everyone by surprise; us, our Carrier partners and our online partners. In particular, the unlocked Open Market in the US has far exceeded our expectations and I suspect that you may have a similar experience. We have added additional manufacturing capacity to support the demand and placed incremental component orders to support the additional manufacturing capacity.

All of this was taken into consideration when we contemplated the right timing for the Canadian Open Market launch. Currently we feel confident that we will have sufficient quantities to avoid stock out and support a Canadian Open Market launch by the middle of August.

I recognise this is different than our original expectations and I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

We look forward to a successful future business together.

Thank you
    06-22-17 04:19 PM
    Well clearly their prior push back date to end of May to "ensure" they met demand was PR.

There is definitely a silver lining to this though.

They're basically making new production runs for Canada. That's good news if they intend on fixing any flaws from before like the screen etc
    terminatorx and anon(3072139) like this.
    06-22-17 04:23 PM
    Get a load of this............Release from TCL.

The global success of KEYone right out of the gates caught everyone by surprise; us, our Carrier partners and our online partners. In particular, the unlocked Open Market in the US has far exceeded our expectations and I suspect that you may have a similar experience. We have added additional manufacturing capacity to support the demand and placed incremental component orders to support the additional manufacturing capacity.

All of this was taken into consideration when we contemplated the right timing for the Canadian Open Market launch. Currently we feel confident that we will have sufficient quantities to avoid stock out and support a Canadian Open Market launch by the middle of August.

I recognise this is different than our original expectations and I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

We look forward to a successful future business together.

Thank you

Would you care to share where this information was gathered? Was it part of a BlackBerry Mobile email campaign?

I will be honest in that I emailed 2 of the higher ups at BlackBerry Mobile about what the availability of the unlocked Keyone will be for Canada, I have yet to hear back. I am a bit disappointed to hear about all this and I hope it's addressed on the conference call tomorrow for the earnings announcement. Materially the revenue that BlackBerry gets from their licensing agreement is high margin so I would like to get as much info as possible.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 04:30 PM
    Well clearly their prior push back date to end of May to "ensure" they met demand was PR.

There is definitely a silver lining to this though.

They're basically making new production runs for Canada. That's good news if they intend on fixing any flaws from before like the screen etc
    Those will be units to get for sure! If thats the case. Im also waiting on the we have launched a refresh production run for US press release. My first k1 was trash.
    06-22-17 04:36 PM
    we need the source please
    06-22-17 04:40 PM
    I won't share the information source publicly. But what I posted was cut and paste from an email I just received. It's an internal memo and while I am sure you will dismiss this or at the least take it with a grain of salt - the info is real.
    06-22-17 04:42 PM
    My guess is carriers wanted exclusivity longer. And with Telus late to offer this phone it pushed the release back even further.
    06-22-17 04:45 PM
    Well, I guess this a reality check on the tiny drop in the water Canada is for buying phones.
    06-22-17 09:34 PM
    wtf
    06-22-17 09:48 PM
    Well on the bright side at least there appears to be a very high and unexpected demand. On the other, it sucks that we have to wait this long for the 'open market' version in Canada. Of course this must also have something to do with pressure from Robelus.

I do want to buy a K1, but there's no way I will settle for a locked carrier version or pay them an inflated monthly rate plan for the illusion of a free or discounted unit.

August or end of summer isn't that bad. At least by then the price of an unlocked resale on Kijiji will be lower, and the devices being rolled out should be from newer manufacturing batches less prone to screen lift.
    06-22-17 09:48 PM
    Middle of August? Sweet Jesus this must be the first phone TCL ever launched. Even BlackBerry can do a better job at it.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    06-22-17 10:07 PM
    glad I bought outright from Bell and unlocked it. sweet sweet phone
    06-22-17 11:07 PM
    My relationship with my carrier is such that I am acquiring my second KEYone next week and it is sitting in the store right now.

I am not bothered if it's unlocked or locked. December 1st in Canada will be here quick enough.

I do, however, understand people who want to buy from the "Open Market" would like that option right from the launch.
    06-23-17 12:00 AM
    My relationship with my carrier is such that I am acquiring my second KEYone next week and it is sitting in the store right now.

I am not bothered if it's unlocked or locked. December 1st in Canada will be here quick enough.

I do, however, understand people who want to buy from the "Open Market" would like that option right from the launch.
    I feel like I want this news confirmed. Even if BlackBerry Mobile confirmed or denied it.
    06-23-17 12:25 AM
    I just checked the warehouse inventory that the resellers are pulling from and it's been saying 0 for both Vancouver and Toronto locations the whole time until last night! It's now saying 800 units are going to Toronto warehouse and 200 units to Vancouver warehouse. Expected delivery is July 6th, hopefully that's a worst case date and it could be delivered earlier. So looks like stock will be in soon which is contradicting op's secret internal memo...
    06-23-17 08:36 AM
    so are these just unlocked ones?? or carrier as well??
    06-23-17 01:22 PM
    And mid August will become December. These guys are a joke. It's as if they've never launched a phone before.

You'd really have to be DESPERATE for a pkb to pay 800 (tax in) for this low-midrange phone in August. Me, I'd rather grab the note 8 (should be launching around that time) for a few hundred more but with specs and features that stomp all over the keyone.
    06-23-17 01:57 PM
    And mid August will become December. These guys are a joke. It's as if they've never launched a phone before.

You'd really have to be DESPERATE for a pkb to pay 800 (tax in) for this low-midrange phone in August. Me, I'd rather grab the note 8 (should be launching around that time) for a few hundred more but with specs and features that stomp all over the keyone.
    I was thinking the same thing in regards to the cost of the device if it means waiting even longer. OnePlus 5 is starting to look very appealing. I'm not sure if my next phone will be a BlackBerry after all.

06-23-17 02:13 PM
    so are these just unlocked ones?? or carrier as well??
    Unlocked ones
    06-23-17 02:31 PM
    Unlocked ones
    well that ducks gonads
    06-23-17 02:32 PM
    all the rumours and no definitive answers are driving me crazy. I almost don't even want the phone anymore. I'm debating buying a DTEK 60
    06-23-17 08:51 PM
    all the rumours and no definitive answers are driving me crazy. I almost don't even want the phone anymore. I'm debating buying a DTEK 60
    oh I will wait. it just a silly thing to say it's available (carrier) then have it not when it should have been here lol
    06-23-17 09:42 PM
    I just ended up buying one last night. They are hard to come by. But I figured if I have to pay $730 CDN in August for a mid-spec phone, I might as well buy a $620CDN DTEK60 which should last me much longer....even if it doesn't get Nougat.

Now, whether it actually gets delivered is another story. I had ordered one from Staples.ca but it never got delivered so I ended up canceling it after waiting too long.

Perhaps the next gen of the K1 will be what I will upgrade to. But for now, TCL has done a **** poor job manufacturing and marketing this phone.

06-24-17 07:56 AM
    The OP seems to have dropped this unsubstantiated rumour and walked away from the thread.

/closed.
    06-24-17 05:12 PM