I use nordvpn, download from UK all the time, not a problem even have on tablet to read BBC news service no ads.
    Just a quick addition to your post. I contacted NordVPN this afternoon (18JUL18) to see if it will also work on my Amazon Kindle Fire HD. Unfortunately they don't offer a version for it. Here's the chat with Dylan @ Nord:

Dylan: Unfortunately, Kindle Fire is only supported if you set up our service on a router. You would need to set up a router in order to protect your tablet. Unfortunately, we currently do not have our application on the Kindle Amazon store, sorry for this inconvenience.

I asked: Any hope of an app in the future for Kindle?

Dylan: We are working on that but we do not have any ETA.

I said: They are becoming a major player, & Consumer Reports rates them a "Best Buy"
    Guess that's it for ever using my tablet for anything besides reading books... :-( Without a way to secure it, I never use the tablet for any purpose that needs a password since I can't secure it.
    BTW, How hard is the setup for nordvpn.com/tutorials/blackberry-10/?

Dylan: It's quite easy. It will encrypt all of your internet data including apps and browser.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-18 10:44 PM
    vpn+tor is really more secure than vpn only?
    08-30-18 10:56 AM
    I'm not close to an expert but I tend to think that since each works differently there may be a bit of tighter privacy but it may be overkill for most people. Since both will slow you down at least a bit, both together should prove unnecessary unless you are dealing with higher security information than 99+%. Of us ever use! ;-)

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    08-31-18 04:59 AM
    vpn+tor is really more secure than vpn only?
    It helps to increase anonymity, which to some - depending on their situation, increases security.

It just acts to put another buffer between you and the endpoint, and complicates traffic analysis for anyone trying to find you.

A number of VPN providers now offer this as a built in option in their applications.
    09-16-18 11:34 AM
    Surprised TorGuard hasn't been mentioned yet. It's been clutch for me for years.

I started using TorGuard on my Passport a couple of years ago, and now on my KeyOne.

Works great and have it set to Always-On.
    Not a fan of their app, so I connect to TorGuard using the OpenVPN app from F-Droid.
    I have the homescreen shortcuts which connect me to different servers.
    Has worked great with no battery effects I can notice.
    Only minor issue for me is that screen mirroring from the KeyOne doesn't work while I'm connected to the VPN.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-16-18 11:57 AM
    mostly I'm using mobile data. barely I connect with public wifi. so now my question is really need vpn when I'm using the mobile data? yeah vpn helps to access the blocked websites and encrypted our browsing. but when I'm connected to mobile data while vpn is connect the data provider can see my browsing? when I do chat in we chat , Skype and some other social apps the data provider can see my text even I'm connected in vpn?
    I subscribed for VPN Unlimited, lifetime subscription for up to 5 devices and it cost me USD 39. A reasonable price IMHO... Had it on for one day to see whether it's a battery hog or not. And sure enough it is (I'm pretty sure it's not a question of VPN Unlimited in particular - encrypting one's traffic comes at a price, it is a somewhat CPU demanding feature after all). Then again, it comes down to what you're looking for. I'd recommend using it ALWAYS while on public WiFi's. Other than that I will only be turning it on when I'll know I'd like to have a "really private" conversation or chat via Signal even when on cellular data. For regular use while on cellular data I prefer to have the VPN off though and opt for Blokada instead which blocks the annoying adds system wise (and acts as a "filtering VPN" for that purpose) + use Firefox Focus with all the anti tracking features on. As for your question - with a VPN on and provided the VPN service provider in deed does encrypt your traffic it is very hard for your carrier/data provider to decrypt it and it's certainly not worth the effort for them to even try when you're just a "regular client". But if you're really looking for privacy, Skype is a bad choice to begin with. You're looking for an end-to-end encrypted messaging/calling service with no "man in the middle" which collects and keeps as little logs as possible such as e.g. Signal.
    Last edited by shandy-R2D2; 09-17-18 at 08:55 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-16-18 02:28 PM
    It helps to increase anonymity, which to some - depending on their situation, increases security.

It just acts to put another buffer between you and the endpoint, and complicates traffic analysis for anyone trying to find you.

A number of VPN providers now offer this as a built in option in their applications.
    Built in option like what?
    09-17-18 08:24 AM
    Built in option like what?
    Tor over VPN.

After connecting to the VPN server, the VPN provider forwards your connection to Tor.

Or you can just do this yourself. Start the VPN first, then connect to Tor.
    09-17-18 02:25 PM
    I found it useful while travelling out of country to get some content to download from the states while at home avoids violation nag from ISP while downloading... not much faith in the security claims, though...
    09-17-18 03:23 PM
    I found it useful while travelling out of country to get some content to download from the states while at home avoids violation nag from ISP while downloading... not much faith in the security claims, though...
    That's somewhat my understanding of commercial VPNs as well. So while I don't think most of the VPNs out there are "NSA proof", they certainly should serve as a reasonable protection in terms of carrier/provider or industry/competition sneaking around or personal data mining. Anyone expecting or looking for more than that should question their motives and karma in the first place....
    rthonpm likes this.
    09-17-18 03:36 PM
    Tor over VPN.

After connecting to the VPN server, the VPN provider forwards your connection to Tor.

Or you can just do this yourself. Start the VPN first, then connect to Tor.
    In which vpn have that option ? I'm using vpn unlimited
    09-17-18 08:24 PM
    In which vpn have that option ? I'm using vpn unlimited
    I know ProtonVPN does for some servers. This is a nice feature because it allows you to route all your system connections over Tor via the VPN, rather than just your Tor Browser.
    09-17-18 08:36 PM
    How does Proton compare to Nord as far as costs? I'm researching the few VPN's that work with BB10 OS since I avoid android. As I recall I saw a review last year where Proton cost nearly double that of Nord but I may be mistaken.

I'm only looking at paid VPN'S since I feel that there is a lesser chance of being data mined by them compared to the nearly free "lifetime" deals on some of these where the cost is below a 2 year Nord account. I've never seen how they could monetize & be profitable without it...

(as an aside & it's just one opinion, but it almost seems pointless to me to use a VPN on android since the reigning champion data mining firm sees everything you do, but I suppose it's still good to protect against other thieves...)

09-21-18 05:23 AM
    I purchased the VPN Secure lifetime subscription this summer that crackberry digital had available. You still can't download US Netflix content, it knows you are using a vpn. I also can't connect to the hospital wifi here, the vpn can't connect. if I shut the wifi off, connect through data it works, then I just turn the wifi back on. My laptop still won't connect to wifi with the vpn on.
    I tried purchasing Ivacy VPN last week so we could use the firestick here in the hospital, but the hospital wifi won't let it connect.

Ivacy kind of freaked me out, I subscribed for a months service to try it, as I wanted US Netflix and to use with the firestick. after signing up the sent an email requiring a picture of my credit card for verification. Anyone heard of this before?
    09-22-18 01:43 PM
    I purchased the VPN Secure lifetime subscription this summer that crackberry digital had available. You still can't download US Netflix content, it knows you are using a vpn. I also can't connect to the hospital wifi here, the vpn can't connect. if I shut the wifi off, connect through data it works, then I just turn the wifi back on. My laptop still won't connect to wifi with the vpn on.
    I tried purchasing Ivacy VPN last week so we could use the firestick here in the hospital, but the hospital wifi won't let it connect.

Ivacy kind of freaked me out, I subscribed for a months service to try it, as I wanted US Netflix and to use with the firestick. after signing up the sent an email requiring a picture of my credit card for verification. Anyone heard of this before?
    Maybe give VPN Unlimited a try then. They have a so called KeepSolid Wise TCP/UDP option in their settings which should make your traffic look like a 'regular non-VPN' one which in turn might help circumvent those apparent limitations deployed in order to ban people from using VPN's in hospitals and such...
    Last edited by shandy-R2D2; 09-22-18 at 03:43 PM.
    09-22-18 03:00 PM
    Nord VPN crashed my PC running Windows 7 Ultimate. it was so bizarre. it was running in the background and prevented me from accessing my security cameras and router. I kept getting an error message that a firewall is preventing access. I removed Nord and everything is back to normal. I still have it on my K1.
    Last edited by VictorRight; 09-23-18 at 12:05 AM.
    09-22-18 05:21 PM
    Nord VPN crashed my PC running Windows 7 Ultimate. it was so bizarre. it was running in the background and prevented me from accessing my security cameras and router. I kept getting an error message that a firewall is preventing access. I removed Nord and everything is back to normal. I still have it on my K1.
    That's normal. While you are on VPN, you are no longer "on your home network". So to access the devices connected directly to that network, you need to deactivate the VPN.

I'm not sure if there is a work around, maybe someone who runs network cameras and VPN has a solution.
    klango likes this.
    09-23-18 08:30 AM
    Nord VPN was turned off. It was running in the background and causing a phantom firewall so to speak. My IT guy could not figure it out until I removed the VPN.
    09-23-18 12:58 PM
    Just a quick addition to your post. I contacted NordVPN this afternoon (18JUL18) to see if it will also work on my Amazon Kindle Fire HD. Unfortunately they don't offer a version for it. Here's the chat with Dylan @ Nord:

Dylan: Unfortunately, Kindle Fire is only supported if you set up our service on a router. You would need to set up a router in order to protect your tablet. Unfortunately, we currently do not have our application on the Kindle Amazon store, sorry for this inconvenience.

I asked: Any hope of an app in the future for Kindle?

Dylan: We are working on that but we do not have any ETA.

I said: They are becoming a major player, & Consumer Reports rates them a "Best Buy"
    Guess that's it for ever using my tablet for anything besides reading books... :-( Without a way to secure it, I never use the tablet for any purpose that needs a password since I can't secure it.
    BTW, How hard is the setup for nordvpn.com/tutorials/blackberry-10/?

Dylan: It's quite easy. It will encrypt all of your internet data including apps and browser.
    Put Play Store on your Kindle Fire then get the Android version.

Posted via CB10
    klango likes this.
    09-23-18 08:08 PM
    Another one here using VPN on the Blackberry Passport through ikev2.
    No issues whatsoever
    09-24-18 01:55 AM
    Put Play Store on your Kindle Fire then get the Android version.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds like a great idea in theory, but how on earth do I GET playstore on my Kindle Fire tablet? I'm certainly interested, assuming that it's possible & you aren't just teasing me with the concept! Can you expand on your comment?

10-01-18 04:25 AM
    That sounds like a great idea in theory, but how on earth do I GET playstore on my Kindle Fire tablet? I'm certainly interested, assuming that it's possible & you aren't just teasing me with the concept! Can you expand on your comment?

Of course it's possible. I wouldn't have suggested otherwise.

Here's a link to the steps: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/g...on-fire-tablet
    10-01-18 04:41 AM
    I personally prefer ExpressVPN...and secondly Pure VPN....both are exceptionally best in their own way...
    If you want more budget friendly options you can chek out www.bestvpnguru.com ....thanks and happy VPNing
    I've tried one ExpressVPN and one thing I do not like about ExpressVPN app is that there is no option to stop traffic if ExpressVPN server disconnects. NordVPN offers this feature. it completely stops traffic if you are disconnected from NordVPN server.
    10-01-18 12:20 PM
    I've tried one ExpressVPN and one thing I do not like about ExpressVPN app is that there is no option to stop traffic if ExpressVPN server disconnects. NordVPN offers this feature. it completely stops traffic if you are disconnected from NordVPN server.
    You can do it by using the OpenVPN app to connect to ExpressVPN https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=nDjY_4JZ

I use OpenVPN to connect to TorGuard as well. Easily set up to block connections unless they run through the vpn.
    10-01-18 11:44 PM
    Of course it's possible. I wouldn't have suggested otherwise.

Here's a link to the steps: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/g...on-fire-tablet
    Thanks! I know that Kindle uses a "forked version" of android but I never knew that there was a possibility to get better apps than amazon is offering! I'm going to check out the link asap...

10-02-18 04:44 AM
107 ... 2345