As a matter of interest how many of you are using a VPN, I thinking more for my laptop rather than cell phone as not sure using using VPN would slow down the performance of it. Using a BlackBerry do I need a VPN,
    05-03-18 11:25 AM
    Depends...

Do you need to pretend your somewhere else in the world?

Do you need to access files on your work/home network on a regular basis?

Do you need to connect to different wifi hotspots for connectivity, but you can't trust them?

Average person... probable not.

Business traveler... yes.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    05-03-18 11:43 AM
    Depends...

Do you need to pretend your somewhere else in the world?

Do you need to access files on your work/home network on a regular basis?

Do you need to connect to different wifi hotspots for connectivity, but you can't trust them?

Average person... probable not.

Business traveler... yes.
    Let me fix this for you.

Avy person who doesn't care about being secure - probably not.

Everyone else - yes.

It may or may not slow your browsing experience down. When I had my K1, using NordVPN didn't slow down my connection one bit. Numerous times I have speed tested the connection with VPN on and then VPN off. The results were virtually identical everytime whether on mobile LTE or home/work WiFi.

Having a BB device means absolutely nothing when it comes to needing a VPN or not needing a VPN.
    qwerty4ever and melhiore like this.
    05-03-18 02:08 PM
    Let me fix this for you.

Avy person who doesn't care about being secure - probably not.

Everyone else - yes.

It may or may not slow your browsing experience down. When I had my K1, using NordVPN didn't slow down my connection one bit. Numerous times I have speed tested the connection with VPN on and then VPN off. The results were virtually identical everytime whether on mobile LTE or home/work WiFi.

Having a BB device means absolutely nothing when it comes to needing a VPN or not needing a VPN.
    Thanks for that....

Another thing to keep in mind... what VPN Service you use.

A recent study found 18 percent of 283 tested Android VPNs didn't encrypt traffic in their tunnels. Worse still, "75 percent of them use third-party tracking libraries and 82 percent request permissions to access sensitive resources including user accounts and text messages."

It said that one of the best solution is to run your own private VPN Server, but the problem there is some VPN Servers aren't optimized for changes in Mobile traffic patterns. Especially troublesome is the switching from LTE to Wi-Fi, many cases the tunnel was lost and your data reverts back to unprotected.

They strongly recommended avoid any Free Apps/Services.... If you really expect privacy or security, you'll want to use a commercial product that is highly rated.
    05-03-18 03:12 PM
    Yes, stay away from free VPN's and most pay VPN's as well. Gotta do your homework.
    05-03-18 03:18 PM
    Yes, stay away from free VPN's and most pay VPN's as well. Gotta do your homework.
    Well, since you mentioned NordVPN above, do you recommend that one? Or maybe rather than recommend - do you like that one? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, too.
    05-03-18 03:37 PM
    Well, since you mentioned NordVPN above, do you recommend that one? Or maybe rather than recommend - do you like that one? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, too.
    Yes, the full paid version. It is one of the most popular/talked about VPN's out there but there's reasons for that. Security, based in Panama, zero logging at all, if any gov't wants logs they will basically tell them to hit the road. They speeds are fantastic. They have thousands of servers around the world with all different types such as antiDDOS, Onion over VPN, Dedicated IP, P2P, Double VPN, etc.

There's a bunch of deals out there that offer year or other different length of term service for deep discounts. I think I found a deal that was like $49 for two years.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-03-18 03:46 PM
    NordVPN claims no traffic logs are maintained which increases your privacy. I have been using the service for a year without any discernible throughput differences whether on my smartphone or my notebook computers. There is a web browser plug-in too.
    FF22 and melhiore like this.
    05-04-18 01:51 AM
    NordVPN is my goto VPN since like forever (maybe from the second month they were on the market). Very fast, no slowdowns, easy Android App, easy laptop implementation (I use Linux and setting up NordVPN on the Kubuntu was a breeze).... I would recommend NordVPN above them all. I have only good experieces (yes, tried other providers as well yet Nord was always more convenient/faster/easier...)
    FF22 likes this.
    05-05-18 02:52 AM
    Try FastestVPN, i have recently purchased it from stack social, a life time account in just $35. this VPN is very fast, works very smooth with all servers. must try it as they have 7 day money back policy
    05-11-18 07:40 AM
    I paid Lifetime VPNunlimited ...many use it only to get content occasionally without awakening the ISP hounds... not all their servers Support torrent, but enough do...
    05-11-18 09:02 AM
    I hear good things about Private Internet Access and have used myself, aka PIA. Relatively inexpensive, servers around the world, and seem to be trustworthy.

... Thanks Linus Tech Tips. hahaha
    05-11-18 10:56 AM