As the K1 is an android phone would a virus app be advisable or will the BB security suffice?
    06-10-17 06:47 AM
    Never used one on Android.

Just use your head.
    06-10-17 07:02 AM
    BlackBerry claims to be the most secure Android for various reasons and I don't doubt for a moment that they do a great job based on what I know. That said, a key principle of information security (aka cyber security) is implementing a 'layered defense' so adding an additional anti virus app would only add value. Hope that helps!
    06-10-17 07:02 AM
    so adding an additional anti virus app would only add value. Hope that helps!
    How does one factor in the performance hit of anti-virus software into the "value" calculation?

Use good passwords, keep your device locked when out of sight, use VPN over public wifi, only use Google Play Store, keep away from shady websites.
    06-10-17 07:11 AM
    "How does one factor in the performance hit of anti-virus software into the "value" calculation?"

Great point. There's almost always a trade off between security and performance / convenience so the trick is to find a balance. At the end of the day, AV vendors get their data from multiple and various sources then use countless algorithms to determine risk and identify virus using signature, heuristics, baselines and anomaly detection methods of which all take away from your performance, (some more measurable than others) but none of AV vendors are perfect so a layered defense is a widely adopted standard.

If you want a hit on performance, your time and efforts, try implementing a VPN over a public AP using a smartphone every time you visit Starbucks for your morning latte. Everyone does that - says no one.
    06-10-17 07:35 AM

If you want a hit on performance, your time and efforts, try implementing a VPN over a public AP using a smartphone every time you visit Starbucks for your morning latte. Everyone does that - says no one.
    How's that? My VPN provider has a home screen widget. One touch and you are connected. No performance impact at all.

DTEK60 / Z30
    06-10-17 07:49 AM
    What I wanna know is:
    1) If blackberry can't be rooted...
    2) And there are malicious android apps that can escalate privileges and run as root...

Would BlackBerry somehow prevent them from executing?
    If not, does that mean that it is hypothetically possible to create an app that can root blackberry?

(I know that rooting the phone and an app running as root isn't technically the same, but if I could launch an app after every reboot to gain root, that to me would be effectively the same as having my BlackBerry rooted)
    06-10-17 08:08 AM
    1. BlackBerry Android can't be rooted.
    2. See answer number 1.

Even if something did manage to corrupt the security of the phone, it would fail during the system integrity checks the next time the phone was restarted.
    06-10-17 09:16 AM
    1. BlackBerry Android can't be rooted.
    2. See answer number 1.

Even if something did manage to corrupt the security of the phone, it would fail during the system integrity checks the next time the phone was restarted.
    Integrity Detection also runs in real time.
    06-10-17 09:43 AM
    As the K1 is an android phone would a virus app be advisable or will the BB security suffice?
    Well arguably maybe not. I'm curious as well? In the past I've never had to use a virus app on my device as I never access any usage that would warrant a virus on my device. ITs generally not needed as Android +DTEK is pretty secure.
    06-10-17 11:18 AM
    Not necessary. Just don't be downloading anything from unknown sources. Using your head and being smart is more than enough to keep your smartphone virus free.
    06-10-17 11:20 AM
    Thanks all.
    06-10-17 01:25 PM
    Integrity Detection also runs in real time.
    So does that mean that all the banking Trojan apps that were recently discovered would actually be caught by this real-time integrity detection?
    06-10-17 01:49 PM
    So does that mean that all the banking Trojan apps that were recently discovered would actually be caught by this real-time integrity detection?
    If a system file is altered, you would be warned.
    06-10-17 02:06 PM
    If a system file is altered, you would be warned.
    Oh neat.
    Would I be just warned that a system file was altered, or would I be warned that a system file is about to be altered?

Proactive or reactive?
    06-10-17 02:13 PM
    Oh neat.
    Would I be just warned that a system file was altered, or would I be warned that a system file is about to be altered?

Proactive or reactive?
    You are warned that system files have not passed checksum.

Monitoring every line of code in real time would bring the system to a slow crawl.
    06-10-17 04:31 PM
    You dont need it as soon as you install one you will have a bunch of viruses and prompts to pay to have them removed
    06-10-17 05:28 PM