I don't know if this has been asked and answered anywhere before, but one always reads that the Keyone was developed and produced by TLC. However, the Keyone looks an awful lot like the first pictures that appeared of the Vienna back in the days - and that was way before TLC came into the picure as far as I know. Does anyone know if the Keyone is actually designed by Blackberry and maybe finalised by TLC before they started producing it or did TLC go back to the drawingboard and made this their own design when they got the license to use the name and trademark Blackberry?
    08-21-17 06:49 AM
    I don't know if this has been asked and answered anywhere before, but one always reads that the Keyone was developed and produced by TLC. However, the Keyone looks an awful lot like the first pictures that appeared of the Vienna back in the days - and that was way before TLC came into the picure as far as I know. Does anyone know if the Keyone is actually designed by Blackberry and maybe finalised by TLC before they started producing it or did TLC go back to the drawingboard and made this their own design when they got the license to use the name and trademark Blackberry?
    KEYone was designed at BlackBerry and designs are now available for licensees. TCL built for themselves and Optimus Prime (Transformers?) which in turn will build themselves after the initial batch.
    08-21-17 08:05 AM
    So, it is indeed an inhouse design produced by an external manufacturer? Same as the iPhone?
    08-21-17 08:12 AM
    So, it is indeed an inhouse design produced by an external manufacturer? Same as the iPhone?
    Not quite, but close enough. BB had just already made the designs and decided to exit the phone business. The licensees were/are given the design, if they want to use it. This saves the licensee some money. However any changes to design are done by the licensee at their expense.
    08-21-17 08:22 AM
    Blackberry collected design award early this year. So it is More than less BB design (the last design in house)... Look like someone changed glue material/process, let to the screen fall off - lesson learn for TCL how not to cut corner (the prototype or initial release appear to be no such an issue based on what I read on CB).
    08-21-17 09:22 AM
    The design started at BlackBerry, got shelved for a while and was picked up by TCL. Where BlackBerry's influence stopped, is anyones guess, but yes it was started in-house at BlackBerry. For the sake of argument and detail, it is the last in-house BlackBerry designed device.
    08-21-17 12:14 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^

What he said!!!!!
    08-21-17 02:39 PM
    any ex Blackberry employees wanna go rogue!? I'll be the go between to pass on passport design blueprints!!!
    08-21-17 10:13 PM
    Well, that is a cool thing. It means it's as real a BlackBerry as any given iPhone is an Apple.
    08-22-17 05:27 PM