Hello everyone,

i am convinced someone else in this world had this issue too:
    you record a video, at the end you want to play it except it does not play, just a black screen.
    then you realize the sd card is full (internal memory of the phone is not full)

SD card is set up as internal storage.
    i do NOT get a "low space" warning, obviously - very annoying..

in the google photos app the file does not even have a thumbnail, but it takes some space: hundreds of MBs, depending on how long it was.
    i am still hoping there is some "video and sound" data in that file since it takes that much space..

i tried google search for the issue, i tried various video editing apps but i am tired of stumbling in the dark so please help, i am about to crack.

HELP!
    05-01-20 02:26 PM
    buy a bigger SD card, remove old photos and videos that are safely in the cloud or stored elsewhere. Never seen anyone else run into this issue
    05-01-20 02:32 PM
    buy a bigger SD card, remove old photos and videos that are safely in the cloud or stored elsewhere. Never seen anyone else run into this issue
    sd card is 32Gbs.
    it fills in 2-3 months and i back it up and clear it every 2-3 months.

even if i get a bigger one the issue will still be possible. even though it will occur less often, but it will still pop up.

i already have 5-6 such "bad" videos which i would like to "recover".
    05-01-20 02:37 PM
    i have a priv and my wife has a keyone, it happened to both of us.
    i find it hard to believe it only happens to us.
    05-01-20 02:38 PM
    you can get 128 and 256 gb cards for pretty cheap, even 512. Most people just upgrade the size and they never worry. 32 is small, like super small in todays world if you do video and photos alot. But even still how many photos and videos do you take? Long or really HQ videos really arent meant to be left of a card and are moved elsewhere because yes they take up alot of space.
    05-01-20 02:50 PM
    SD card is set up as internal storage.
    If that's true and not a typo, that IMO is your first mistake. If you are shooting videos, the overhead of having to encode them and then encrypt them on top of that is going to bog down the phone and burn up CPU and battery, and will probably interfere with things like out-of-space warnings. I strongly recommend that you keep your SD card formatted as external, which means it will also be unencrypted. Your chances of recovering a corrupt encrypted file is probably zero.

And 32GB? Unless you're making TikTok videos 8 seconds long, that's TINY. 128GB cards are CHEAP - even 512 GB cards aren't super expensive - I just upgraded myself. Honestly, it sounds like most of these problems are self-inflicted - but also relatively easy to fix going forward.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-02-20 01:23 AM
    If that's true and not a typo, that IMO is your first mistake. If you are shooting videos, the overhead of having to encode them and then encrypt them on top of that is going to bog down the phone and burn up CPU and battery, and will probably interfere with things like out-of-space warnings. I strongly recommend that you keep your SD card formatted as external, which means it will also be unencrypted. Your chances of recovering a corrupt encrypted file is probably zero.

And 32GB? Unless you're making TikTok videos 8 seconds long, that's TINY. 128GB cards are CHEAP - even 512 GB cards aren't super expensive - I just upgraded myself. Honestly, it sounds like most of these problems are self-inflicted - but also relatively easy to fix going forward.
    Well... F me dead..
    I set it up as internal for fear of losing the phone - so my stuff would not be easily available if the sd card was inserted in a pc.

Bad side of unencrypted sd card is if i lose the phone - anyone can get all the data..

Only sure thing is that the external format would warn of low space so this way i would get rid of corrupting videos due to low space.

I myself have a 16Gb sd card and it does not bother me at all. It takes 3-4-5 months until it gets full.
    Only trouble is corrupting videos due to low space.. Videos are mostly 5-10mins long.
    Last edited by frigider; 05-02-20 at 07:24 AM.
    05-02-20 02:56 AM
    I really need to check the differences between internal and external storage type for sd card. I know there is even a thread on this forum.

In the mean time i will keep on trying to repair those video clips.

I find it truly amazing that no one else encountered this. No one with "internal" sd format that is..
    05-02-20 02:58 AM
    I really need to check the differences between internal and external storage type for sd card. I know there is even a thread on this forum.

In the mean time i will keep on trying to repair those video clips.

I find it truly amazing that no one else encountered this. No one with "internal" sd format that is..
    People don't use adoptable storage, so you won't run into this problem much.
    05-02-20 07:44 AM
    People don't use adoptable storage, so you won't run into this problem much.
    Well, call me special
    05-02-20 08:50 AM
    Your internal storage will be encrypted. Keep your documents and other sensitive info there. For most people, pics, videos, and music aren't "sensitive" and don't need to be encrypted, and all of the many negatives of trying to encrypt large files on the fly (with the possibility of corruption and the impossibility of recovering them due to encryption), plus the utility of being able to read them on a PC, makes it a no-brainer to leave the SD card unencrypted.

Unless you're a government spy taking spy videos of the secret Russian "FireFox" plane or something, it's unlikely anyone is hoping to get your vacation videos.

05-02-20 11:38 AM
    these is a "stellar repair" software which actually kind of worked.
    of course, 50 pounds license for 1 year.. no thank you

i uninstalled it immediately..
    didn't quite test for sound, just saw some pictures/pixels/stuff.. so it is possible.
    and it may not actually be encrypted? since it kind of worked? weird stuff.

but it is worth mentioning the fact that i have password pin for the phone so by entering it and then copying files they will be unencrypted? (if that makes any sense)

will go for some linux software, maybe i will succeed.
    there are only 4 corrupt videos.

not great. not terrible. but not great.
    05-02-20 02:15 PM
    You will need to copy the files off your phone using a file manager on the phone itself. If you try to use a file manager on your computer on an encrypted volume, you'll be able to see the files, but if you copy them off, they'll still be encrypted and essentially corrupt (you can't decrypt them off the device). And if you MOVE them off the device from an external file manager, they'll be corrupt forever.

I recommend Solid Explorer, as you can connect to network shares or various cloud storage apps, but there are other options.
    05-03-20 02:42 AM
    You will need to copy the files off your phone using a file manager on the phone itself. If you try to use a file manager on your computer on an encrypted volume, you'll be able to see the files, but if you copy them off, they'll still be encrypted and essentially corrupt (you can't decrypt them off the device). And if you MOVE them off the device from an external file manager, they'll be corrupt forever.

I recommend Solid Explorer, as you can connect to network shares or various cloud storage apps, but there are other options.
    well i copied them using windows explorer and they are not encrypted
    05-10-20 04:00 AM
    Your internal storage will be encrypted. Keep your documents and other sensitive info there. For most people, pics, videos, and music aren't "sensitive" and don't need to be encrypted, and all of the many negatives of trying to encrypt large files on the fly (with the possibility of corruption and the impossibility of recovering them due to encryption), plus the utility of being able to read them on a PC, makes it a no-brainer to leave the SD card unencrypted.

Unless you're a government spy taking spy videos of the secret Russian "FireFox" plane or something, it's unlikely anyone is hoping to get your vacation videos.

I agree that constant on-the-fly encryption is problematic from a performance perspective. At the same time, I consider all my files, including photos and videos to be very private, on principle.

My solution is to automatically back up all photos and videos on the fly to a temporary cloud storage location that I consider secure, and to then remove them from my phone. At the end of each day, I move the files in that temp folder to a permanent encrypted cloud folder for long-term storage.

The photos and videos I keep on my phone to share with others are kept in a local encrypted container on my SD card.

So, I don't encrypt the files on my phone, but no unencrypted files are left on my phone for longer than it takes to transfer them to the cloud.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    05-10-20 05:49 PM
    And that's great, and you obviously have a good grasp of how things work. Most people, though, tend to leave a lot of their pics on their phone, with no backups, and often encrypted. But if something happens to that phone - it breaks, it is lost/stolen, you forget the password, the SD card fails or gets corrupted, etc., your photos, videos, and other data could easily be lost forever. Encryption, by design, isn't friendly for recovering data, and a lot of people don't realize that until it's too late.

As I've said many times, I hate when people lose important data. I've had to give people bad news many times, and it's never fun. I always urge people to back up their data and media regularly, and also, if they're going to take a device out of service, to decrypt it and to remove any passwords, because 2 years after not using that device, chances are high you won't remember that password, and that often leads to data loss or even not being able to use the device ever again.
    05-10-20 07:00 PM
    And that's great, and you obviously have a good grasp of how things work. Most people, though, tend to leave a lot of their pics on their phone, with no backups, and often encrypted. But if something happens to that phone - it breaks, it is lost/stolen, you forget the password, the SD card fails or gets corrupted, etc., your photos, videos, and other data could easily be lost forever. Encryption, by design, isn't friendly for recovering data, and a lot of people don't realize that until it's too late.

As I've said many times, I hate when people lose important data. I've had to give people bad news many times, and it's never fun. I always urge people to back up their data and media regularly, and also, if they're going to take a device out of service, to decrypt it and to remove any passwords, because 2 years after not using that device, chances are high you won't remember that password, and that often leads to data loss or even not being able to use the device ever again.
    I know that, like me, you deal with non-technical end users all the time. Perhaps the difference is that my end users don't have the option of avoiding the complexities of protecting their information. I believe it's better to adopt strong security and privacy practices and make them habitual. Trusting Apple, Google, or anyone else to protect your information from loss and compromise is asking for trouble, IMO.

05-10-20 07:10 PM
    I know that, like me, you deal with non-technical end users all the time. Perhaps the difference is that my end users don't have the option of avoiding the complexities of protecting their information. I believe it's better to adopt strong security and privacy practices and make them habitual. Trusting Apple, Google, or anyone else to protect your information from loss and compromise is asking for trouble, IMO.
    As you say, there's a big difference in user attitude when they are corporate users using a corporate phone and not following the rules could result in job loss, and end-user consumers who are hiring YOU (or, ME, in this case) and want to be protected but aren't really willing to DO anything. For those folks (which is MOST folks), cloud backup is a godsend.
    05-11-20 04:12 PM
    As you say, there's a big difference in user attitude when they are corporate users using a corporate phone and not following the rules could result in job loss, and end-user consumers who are hiring YOU (or, ME, in this case) and want to be protected but aren't really willing to DO anything. For those folks (which is MOST folks), cloud backup is a godsend.
    Agreed. If people don't want to do anything to protect their data from both loss and compromise, they need to decide which one is a bigger threat to their happiness.

But, in 2020, I think most people should learn to both backup AND encrypt their stuff, I see encryption like installing good door locks. If you love the key and lock yourself out, it's SUPPOSED to be a big deal. LOL

05-11-20 05:06 PM
    Agreed. If people don't want to do anything to protect their data from both loss and compromise, they need to decide which one is a bigger threat to their happiness.

But, in 2020, I think most people should learn to both backup AND encrypt their stuff, I see encryption like installing good door locks. If you love the key and lock yourself out, it's SUPPOSED to be a big deal. LOL

I still think using a reputable company that has a privacy policy (like Google, Microsoft, etc) is more than satisfactory for cloud backups, so long as you use a properly formatted password.
    05-11-20 06:25 PM
    I still think using a reputable company that has a privacy policy (like Google, Microsoft, etc) is more than satisfactory for cloud backups, so long as you use a properly formatted password.
    I completely agree that Google, Microsoft, Amazon, DropBox, etc., offer excellent and reliable services, and can serve very well as an off-site backup for data. Personally, I would never rely on free services for anything important, but I have paid accounts with all of them.

But their privacy policies are completely insufficient, IMO. Every one of them offers strong encryption at rest and in transit, but THEY possess the key, so they can read the data within the terms of their privacy policies. I find that to be unacceptable. In particular, the fact that all of your data can be subpoenaed by law enforcement (without your knowledge in many cases) is a deal-breaker for me.

That's why I prefer to use encrypted containers for all my data, which are then backed up to local and cloud-based storage including storage on the above excellent services. Yes, if I lose my credentials my data is gone forever, but it's not difficult to prevent that, and that's the whole point of encryption in the first place.
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 05-11-20 at 08:46 PM.
    05-11-20 08:16 PM

But their privacy policies are completely insufficient, IMO. Every one of them offers strong encryption at rest and in transit, but THEY possess the key, so they can read the data within the terms of their privacy policies. I find that to be unacceptable. In particular, the fact that all of your data can be subpoenaed by law enforcement (without your knowledge in many cases) is a deal-breaker for me.
    If I had specific data of that nature, I would make other arrangements.

Convenience, and the risk of being completely caught flatfooted outweigh these concerns in all but 1% of my cases.
    05-11-20 08:50 PM
    If I had specific data of that nature, I would take other precautions.

But for 99% of my regular data, it's all good.
    It's not the sensitivity of the data that matters. It's the intrusiveness and inconvenience of responding to an aggressive investigation, which is just as annoying and expensive for sensitive data as it is for photos of your friends out on the town.

I never advocate that anyone break the law, and I have no information that I wouldn't be willing to provide to law enforcement to aid a legitimate investigation, but they are going to have to ask me nicely first.
    05-11-20 08:57 PM
    Convenience, and the risk of being completely caught flatfooted outweigh these concerns in all but 1% of my cases.
    Convenience isn't an issue for me. My encrypted data syncs exactly the same as unencrypted data does. It's automatic, and I never think about it.

As for the risk of being caught flat-footed, that's true for any system with insufficient resiliency. In my case, there are two independent adults and a large law firm that have clear instructions about how to recover my information. It would require 3+ simultaneous, independent failures for me to lose my information. That's one thing I never worry about!
    05-11-20 09:05 PM

Virtually all devices from the last 3 years or so are encrypted by default, so that's automatic for most people now - but that only makes having a backup of some kind even more important.
    05-11-20 10:42 PM
27 12