Lol some of you guys are killing me. When the iPhone 4 had this issue it was obliterated in here as being unacceptable and a reason BlackBerry's were superior. People still cite "you're holding it wrong" (even though that's not what Jobs said). One of the long running points for why to use a BlackBerry was because of their "ability to get service where other phones can't".

Now that a BlackBerry has this issue it's being said that "all phones have this issue to some degree." Priceless.

This phone has reception issues. I'd get no service where I got service with other phones and countless others have reported the same issue.
    But didn't Apple fix the problem? So we wait for KEYone 1.2 now lol

Edit: 1.3. 1.2 will be after they fix the cracking camera glass.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 08-09-17 at 06:52 PM.
    08-09-17 06:30 PM
    Nobody is blaming Kevin, BUT, people are wondering why isn't there more of a push from CB to get answers from BB/TCL.
    What sort of expectation do you have in mind in order to determine whether or not they are pushing hard enough? Public protest, full page ad in the NY Times? They may be already aware and working behind the scenes, so don't assume because you didn't see a blog or public notice that CB/Kevin are not doing enough.
    08-09-17 06:46 PM
    What sort of expectation do you have in mind in order to determine whether or not they are pushing hard enough? Public protest, full page ad in the NY Times? They may be already aware and working behind the scenes, so don't assume because you didn't see a blog or public notice that CB/Kevin are not doing enough.
    But do they risk acknowledging another batch of sub optimal phones were sold?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-17 06:47 PM
    It would be nice to know which carrier, location, model variant, OS version and settings. There's obviously a problem on some phones, but the cause needs isolated. Maybe we could connect some dots while venting.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    08-09-17 09:33 PM
    It would be nice to know which carrier, location, model variant, OS version and settings. There's obviously a problem on some phones, but the cause needs isolated. Maybe we could connect some dots while venting.
    That's already been done...kind of: /blackberry-android-os-f456/keyone-dropping-signal-weak-reception-1110175/
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-09-17 11:33 PM
    As I mentioned in an other post, the drop in signal quality is not equal on all frequencies / bands. That is the reason why some people complain, others not. For me the signal drop on LTE Band 20 is huge, about -20dbm when "bridging" the metal frame parts on the bottom right, but on LTE Band 7 you loose only about 7 dbm. Remember +-3dbm means double / half reception / transmit power. With the 3G bands WE use here, the loss of reception is hardly noticeable...

So: YES, some will have NO problem, others will have huge problems...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and BigBadWulf like this.
    08-10-17 12:58 AM
    As I mentioned in an other post, the drop in signal quality is not equal on all frequencies / bands. That is the reason why some people complain, others not. For me the signal drop on LTE Band 20 is huge, about -20dbm when "bridging" the metal frame parts on the bottom right, but on LTE Band 7 you loose only about 7 dbm. Remember +-3dbm means double / half reception / transmit power. With the 3G bands WE use here, the loss of reception is hardly noticeable...

So: YES, some will have NO problem, others will have huge problems...
    Only when I turned off LTE completely, I could get some - still miserable - signs of reception on 3G (meaning phone constantly switching between 1 signal bar and no signal).
    Unfortunately I don't know that LTE band I'm on. Ist there any way how to determine that, other than asking the carrier? Can it be switched to a different band by the user (sorry for this potentially silly question)? I will give it another try with another new K1 today or tomorrow, hopefully from a more recent production run than my previous 3.
    08-10-17 03:28 AM
    LoL @ kind of

It's quite hit and miss. Possibly @deiop is correct, and it's performance on one band. I know for me, even in areas where everyone has a weak signal, my KEYᵒⁿᵉ is fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    08-10-17 07:39 AM
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/4g-and-lte-everything-you-need-to-know-926835%2Bwhy+band+20+has+lowest++reception+in+USA+ LTE&num=1&client=safari&rls=en&hl=en&prmd=ivns&str ip=1&vwsrc=0]4G and LTE: everything you need to know | TechRadar[/url]
    band 20 is high frequency, should be used in city or other populated area with reasonable good signal or indoor, the low frequency band should be used for rural area where the transmission distance a bit higher... see above... As someone pointed out early on CB, some carrier eliminated some bands as cost cutting, that make handsets selection a bit difficult. As for antenna interference by body touch, look like isolation is insufficient (either someone forgot dielectric to isolated the antenna from user - like iphone antenna gate, or this case... ) or someone used insufficient electrical clearance - or MFG tolerance stack eats the isolation margin required for the handset, and/or used inferior dielectric, (like replace cheaper dielectric with same thickness as qual units for example, or as simple as insufficient curing of the dielectric - try to cut MFG time, silly thing like that).. K1 antenna covers many frequencies... scale down would make a bit easy (region specific) for design and select proper amplifier... LTE, many of carriers, specifically the smaller carriers, do not have many bands assigned, or get too many customer on the same band (like offer specific cheap plan... so many jump ship from Ma Bell to them), you will have problems... IMHO. (if isolation is a problem, a case would be a good way to mitigate the hand/antenna interference... but still a design short coming)... As a user, I would find out which carrier I would use (select the one with strong signal in multiple bands, not just cheapest plan), the coverage of the area I would travel... and the type of usage I want, wifi, LTE, etc.etc. and pick a carrier with reasonable priced plan (currently, I am on wifi only with z30, no sim).
    08-10-17 07:51 AM
    Received my keyone last night and my signal with a case goes up and down as usual I don't believe it's a problem my s8 does the same thing side by side.
    08-10-17 07:56 AM
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/4g-and-lte-everything-you-need-to-know-926835%2Bwhy+band+20+has+lowest++reception+in+USA+ LTE&num=1&client=safari&rls=en&hl=en&prmd=ivns&str ip=1&vwsrc=0]4G and LTE: everything you need to know | TechRadar[/url]
    band 20 is high frequency, should be used in city or other populated area with reasonable good signal or indoor, the low frequency band should be used for rural area where the transmission distance a bit higher... see above... As someone pointed out early on CB, some carrier eliminated some bands as cost cutting, that make handsets selection a bit difficult. As for antenna interference by body touch, look like isolation is insufficient (either someone forgot dielectric to isolated the antenna from user - like iphone antenna gate, or this case... ) or someone used insufficient electrical clearance - or MFG tolerance stack eats the isolation margin required for the handset, and/or used inferior dielectric, (like replace cheaper dielectric with same thickness as qual units for example, or as simple as insufficient curing of the dielectric - try to cut MFG time, silly thing like that).. K1 antenna covers many frequencies... scale down would make a bit easy (region specific) for design and select proper amplifier... LTE, many of carriers, specifically the smaller carriers, do not have many bands assigned, or get too many customer on the same band (like offer specific cheap plan... so many jump ship from Ma Bell to them), you will have problems... IMHO. (if isolation is a problem, a case would be a good way to mitigate the hand/antenna interference... but still a design short coming)... As a user, I would find out which carrier I would use (select the one with strong signal in multiple bands, not just cheapest plan), the coverage of the area I would travel... and the type of usage I want, wifi, LTE, etc.etc. and pick a carrier with reasonable priced plan (currently, I am on wifi only with z30, no sim).
    Your point is well taken with the carrier band issue. The only thing is that in 2015 the FCC changes the rules and phones must have the ability to swap over to any tower and connect. The only issue would come in a single carrier area, and those are becoming less and less. When we had the phone in for testing for our company, the phone reception was a hot issue. In some locations where our older Blackberry or Apple test phones had middle of the road reception. The Keyone did not. Once I can see twice maybe, but all the time I think not.
    08-10-17 08:47 AM
    But didn't Apple fix the problem? So we wait for KEYone 1.2 now lol

Edit: 1.3. 1.2 will be after they fix the cracking camera glass.

Posted via CB10
    Apple did fix the issue on the next batch and gave out cases...(along with free water on a rainy day).
    08-10-17 08:50 AM
    LoL @ kind of

It's quite hit and miss. Possibly @deiop is correct, and it's performance on one band. I know for me, even in areas where everyone has a weak signal, my KEYᵒⁿᵉ is fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yes, quite hit and miss indeed. Kind of like screens popping out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-10-17 09:33 AM
    Just tested mine with OpenSignal running...
    Reception in my office is fair at best, but I generally get 3-4 bars with my K1 , just as i did with my Passport SE. With the K1 sitting on my desk it showed 3 bars. I picked it up, covering the lower left hand antenna band with my hand and it dropped to 1 bar. Almost immediately, it connected to a different tower and returned to 3 bars. Putting it back down on my desk it stayed connected to the 'new' tower and remained at 3 bars. After that, picking it up and covering the LL corner made no difference... 3 bars in hand or on the desk. FWIW: I've not had any drops (call or data), but I've only had this K1 for a couple of weeks.
    08-10-17 10:51 AM
    Just tested mine with OpenSignal running...
    Reception in my office is fair at best, but I generally get 3-4 bars with my K1 , just as i did with my Passport SE. With the K1 sitting on my desk it showed 3 bars. I picked it up, covering the lower left hand antenna band with my hand and it dropped to 1 bar. Almost immediately, it connected to a different tower and returned to 3 bars. Putting it back down on my desk it stayed connected to the 'new' tower and remained at 3 bars. After that, picking it up and covering the LL corner made no difference... 3 bars in hand or on the desk. FWIW: I've not had any drops (call or data), but I've only had this K1 for a couple of weeks.
    I may have missed this earlier--the antenna is in the bottom left of the phone?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-17 12:26 PM
    I may have missed this earlier--the antenna is in the bottom left of the phone?

Posted via CB10
    I believe all 4 of the black bands on the sides of the phone are antenna bands.
    08-10-17 12:53 PM
    byod using similar antenna for different carrier/region is not wise.... it complicated design, tuning, trade off may be made to tolerate more bands (or operate at edge of the bands). it become jack of all trades, but master of none. Especially, some of the smaller carriers, that operated on specific bands only... Carrier specific model would be better, more efficient for resouce utilization of antenna/frequency/power/selectivity.... but I guess TCL never forecast how much qty would K1 sell, it hard to get too many flavor of the units... too bad. would love to see carrier specific model with simple antenna and strong pre-amp. with few international bands on the side with limited data transmission capability... as currently K1 for all over the world... you might get some trade offs. (still not totally convinced insufficient design - it passed carrier qual - including weak signal, something else - not design related, happened to eat the design margin... just suspect few outliners happened...).
    08-10-17 02:14 PM
    What's was the app you used?
    Signal Strength
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....networkwidget
    08-10-17 02:49 PM
    Not much to say in my experiences as well. Can't see a noticeable difference after covering the antenna.

Might also be due to the week signal or carrier.
    08-10-17 02:54 PM
    I'm not sure what the problem is folks.

This is how I make calls on my Keyone and I never have a problem ;-)

Video demonstration of KEYone signal/reception problems-7a6b99449afbed4076af34f79e9f490b1bfe56ba.jpg
    08-10-17 03:13 PM
    I'm not sure what the problem is folks.

That easy!

This is how I make calls on my Keyone and I never have a problem ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7a6b99449afbed4076af34f79e9f490b1bfe56ba.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	428460
    08-10-17 04:21 PM
    I can confirm this behaviour on all KEYᵒⁿᵉ 's we have in our company....
    I have the exact same problem with my Keyone on VZW. I started using a Seidio Surface Case and it has reduced the problem.
    08-10-17 04:52 PM
    Paging @CrackBerry Kevin @Bla1ze, have you heard anything from TCL about this issue?
    08-11-17 03:53 PM
    Paging @CrackBerry Kevin @Bla1ze, have you heard anything from TCL about this issue?
    I have when my companies tech department contacted them the answer was. We cannot find and issue.

Not good
    08-11-17 05:25 PM
    I personally believe the issue is related to hardware flawed design (speculation, I know), and not fixable by sw updates. Therefore this radio silence from the manufacturer, or denial of any problem.
    08-11-17 06:30 PM
136 12345 ...