Put a case on the phone; see my review on this. You're de-tuning the antenna when you hold it.

I get it if you don't want to case the phone but if you ARE casing your other devices then what's the argument?

Since I understand RF I get the logic here but did they not test the phone in a hand during the design and validation phases? If not shame on the engineers.

I have a case on the way and will make one last ditch attempt for good reception before returning the K1.
    06-20-17 09:48 AM
    I searched and found tickerguy's suggestion for a quick test if a de-tuning issue exists. Here's a copy-paste of his post:

For verification put on a vinyl glove (insulated, of course) and try again, or just pick it up with a piece of paper insulating your hand from the phone frame.
    06-20-17 10:04 AM
    Some say it doesn't and some say it does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    06-20-17 10:34 AM
    Since I understand RF I get the logic here but did they not test the phone in a hand during the design and validation phases? If not shame on the engineers.

I have a case on the way and will make one last ditch attempt for good reception before returning the K1.
    I'm sure they DID test it but the problem with any antenna-uses-part-of-body design (and that's NECESSARY if the phone is metal-cased as the metal is otherwise a faraday cage!) is that the resonance shift is highly variable depending on the individual in question, exactly how they hold the phone, etc.

I would have put the antenna coupled pieces on the TOP, as it's far less-likely for someone to grab those. It appears the KeyOne has them on the BOTTOM (the two insulated pieces by the speaker and mic), which are going to be in contact with you when you're talking and holding the device.

There are other considerations, however, in this -- one of them being SAR requirements (body exposure.) Putting the radiating elements at the top of the device might have made compliance with SAR limits for head RF exposure impossible, and that left the engineers no real option than to put them where they did.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-20-17 10:39 AM
    check your coverage of VZ map... the data coverage actually less than the LTE (I guess they are in the process to shut down the CDMA and switch to 4GLTE). depend on your setting and location, pick the best one. https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/d...veragelocator/
    just for completion... here the map for ATT
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=_KX4DJjW
    06-20-17 10:44 AM

just curious, are you left handed? https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchama.../#4114029a604d
    nogutsnoglory likes this.
    06-20-17 10:58 AM
    See post #79 We have 4 other phones on Verizon in the same building working perfectly. It's the phone that is subpar.

Like I said I wanted to love it but it's reception is the problem. I've been a Blackberry faithful for years so this is a sad day.

Worst of all I'll probably have to pay a restocking fee so that means I'm paying for the experience and pain.

The S7 has been back up and running perfectly.
    I returned mine to Best Buy yesterday. The lady processing my return punched a button and did not charge me a restocking fee. I did happen to mention there were some qc issues with the device and she said she felt bad about that so didn't want to charge me a restocking fee.
    Kwolkens likes this.
    06-20-17 11:01 AM
    I have seen this reply and if you read my posts I did, visit the store and call VZW. they all agreed phone was setup correctly and it was not a carrier or setup issue. Amazed at those who just believe there cannot possibly be anything wrong with the phone. Too many people reporting receptions issues for this to be user error. It is what it is. Again, if you have good reception where you live and work, cool no issue if you are in a marginal area it could be worse. Simple as that IMO.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-17 11:46 AM
    I live in a *very* marginal reception area (in my house) and pass through several others on a daily basis. The KeyOne is somewhat *superior* to my DTEK60 in terms of reception, however, it is subject to disruption through physical contact with the bottom two metal pieces.

A case removes this issue of course. If you wish to *test* it put on a vinyl glove (or just pick it up with a piece of paper between you and the phone) and see if the problem goes away. It does for me.
    stlabrat and FF22 like this.
    06-20-17 12:34 PM
    If you take a look at the autoloaders, there are 3 versions of the LTE modem in each one(EMEA,USA,Global)....I'm wondering if the poor reception is due to a non-optimal modem being flashed during firmware load. I'll try each on my CDMA keyone and report back.
    Last edited by jcrutchvt2010; 06-20-17 at 02:31 PM. Reason: correct some terminology
    kbz1960, stlabrat and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-20-17 02:14 PM
    Guess I'll be waiting till Verizon releases their own version on the KEYᴼᴺᴱ. It's 2017, there should be no Antennagate issues and a customer should not have to jump through so many hoops to activate a device and provision WiFi/ HD calling. Pay $550 for a smartphone and it should just work, and work better than previous models, ie Priv or Classic.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    06-20-17 02:28 PM
    I'm getting about as many bars on my KEYone as on my iPhone 6S. If anything, I'm seeing more on the KEYone. Getting about LTE -100 on signal strength which seems fine. Not great. but fine.
    06-20-17 02:41 PM
    Guess I'll be waiting till Verizon releases their own version on the KEYᴼᴺᴱ. It's 2017, there should be no Antennagate issues and a customer should not have to jump through so many hoops to activate a device and provision WiFi/ HD calling. Pay $550 for a smartphone and it should just work, and work better than previous models, ie Priv or Classic.

Ive said that before as well. I know its unlocked carrierless here in the US, but it seems as they just added band support and let the dice roll. Clearly with issues we have seen and experienced they have done little to no testing.
    06-20-17 02:43 PM
    If someone with CDMA priv could screenshot their baseband version and post that would be helpful. Settings, about phone, baseband version
    06-20-17 02:47 PM
    There may never be a Verizon branded one.
    06-20-17 02:49 PM
    Can you suggest an optimal thickness of the Dielectric between ones hand and the phone?

Last night I put on a rubber glove and performance as a speaker phone was about the same as bare hand.

Things usually go bad when I put the phone up to my ear.

Just wondering if you saw a difference between using a glove or a thicker case in your tests.

Performance
    I'm sure they DID test it but the problem with any antenna-uses-part-of-body design (and that's NECESSARY if the phone is metal-cased as the metal is otherwise a faraday cage!) is that the resonance shift is highly variable depending on the individual in question, exactly how they hold the phone, etc.

I would have put the antenna coupled pieces on the TOP, as it's far less-likely for someone to grab those. It appears the KeyOne has them on the BOTTOM (the two insulated pieces by the speaker and mic), which are going to be in contact with you when you're talking and holding the device.

There are other considerations, however, in this -- one of them being SAR requirements (body exposure.) Putting the radiating elements at the top of the device might have made compliance with SAR limits for head RF exposure impossible, and that left the engineers no real option than to put them where they did.
    06-21-17 07:11 AM
    While running LTE Discovery (which will give you a dBm reading in real time) I was unable to impact performance while picking the phone up using a piece of paper as a dielectric. With my bare hands, however, I was easily able to produce a ~6dBm drop and in my house that's enough to force the phone off LTE entirely and onto HSPA by making contact with the bottom metal segments (on either side of the charging jack.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-21-17 07:34 AM
    There may never be a Verizon branded one.
    True, but BlackBerry Mobile during their launch of the KEYᴼᴺᴱ said that all four carriers would have the device, including Sprint. If it's not officially offered by the big 4, that will be a huge let down.

Granted I like the idea of buying unlocked, but HD Voice, WiFi Calling and proper baseband and technical support are nice features. Plus Verizon Message+ app for Android and iOS is an OS agnostic messenger that replaces SMS text. The closest we can get to iMessage-like features outside of Apple ecosystem.

I'm personally hoping a Verizon branded device will have build quality fixes, much like the Verizon Z10 had over the STL-100-1.

kbz1960 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    06-21-17 12:02 PM
    True, but BlackBerry Mobile during their launch of the KEYᴼᴺᴱ said that all four carriers would have the device, including Sprint. If it's not officially offered by the big 4, that will be a huge let down.

Granted I like the idea of buying unlocked, but HD Voice, WiFi Calling and proper baseband and technical support are nice features. Plus Verizon Message+ app for Android and iOS is an OS agnostic messenger that replaces SMS text. The closest we can get to iMessage-like features outside of Apple ecosystem.

I'm personally hoping a Verizon branded device will have build quality fixes, much like the Verizon Z10 had over the STL-100-1.

My friend swears by that verizon messaging thing. Is that the one you can reply through web as well?
    06-21-17 01:18 PM
    calling *228 will get you an error message "sorry, this Sim card is not recognized or registered"
    06-21-17 10:04 PM
    My friend swears by that verizon messaging thing. Is that the one you can reply through web as well?
    Yes. I haven't tried it yet as I seem to always be on my phone anymore.
    06-21-17 10:07 PM
    True, but BlackBerry Mobile during their launch of the KEYᴼᴺᴱ said that all four carriers would have the device
    Available to work on all 4 major carriers. While they would of course love to be retailed by all, they never suggested they would be.

My friend swears by that verizon messaging thing.
    Me too! Anyone been able to get that working?

calling *228 will get you an error message "sorry, this Sim card is not recognized or registered"
    Don't call it! Only bad things can happen, or nothing at all.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-21-17 10:19 PM

The posted autoloaders have 3 radio options (GLOBAL,USA, and EMEA) and if you dig in you can find specific modems for each carrier by region. It should, in theory, decide the right version based on your device. Be cautious though, the flashall script has some logic that i'm not sure is ready for production. I've had some issues with cdma capabilities. And I don't recommend flashing the 003 variant with any posted autoloader especially one older than AAL093(launch version).
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-22-17 12:13 PM
    Spent the last 2 days on my S7 while awaiting the Blackberry Flip Case I ordered for the K1 and have enjoyed no dropped calls, no lost vocal, and no garbled voice on the other end.

Got the case in the mail this afternoon and snapped it on the K1 after switching the SIM Card out of the S7. Powered it up and used the phone for three calls this evening in the very same spots I use the S7.

The Keyone dropped call number three after the person on the other end said they could no longer hear me. I could hear them clear as day asking if I was there and then poof call over.

With a 33% failure rate it ain't looking good for the Key one. Since Friday is one of my high volume call days I'll give this thing one more day.

As for Verizon Message + I have it installed and it's working as it does on my S7.
    Last edited by Kwolkens; 06-23-17 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-22-17 09:47 PM
    I have Verizon message + running on my keyone. messages automatically synced from my Priv as soon as opened the app. don't need a Verizon logo on the phone to use their apps
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-22-17 10:38 PM
172 ... 34567