So, I decided to try out the Galaxy Note 8 on a trial. Big mistake. I went to return the Note 8 to Verizon and they are telling me that they cannot activate my Blackberry KeyOne as they made changes to the network last week. Nice paperweight I now own! Yes, it is a CDMA silver KeyOne that I previously had activated on the Verizon network. Anyone else experience this?
    07-13-18 04:17 PM
    There was a thread here a couple days ago with them stating the same thing basically. It seems they are trying to cut off all activations of CDMA devices in some way.
    07-13-18 04:22 PM
    So, I decided to try out the Galaxy Note 8 on a trial. Big mistake. I went to return the Note 8 to Verizon and they are telling me that they cannot activate my Blackberry KeyOne as they made changes to the network last week. Nice paperweight I now own! Yes, it is a CDMA silver KeyOne that I previously had activated on the Verizon network. Anyone else experience this?
    Any possibility somebody was hoping to avoid sales chargeback to monthly quota requirements?
    07-13-18 04:24 PM
    i would recommend to try the Note 8 with the PKB case.

It is awesome with the exception of no backlit.
    07-13-18 04:24 PM
    why don't you swap the sim card that's already activated ?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-13-18 04:28 PM
    I was able to get the KeyOne activated. I called customer support and because I'm a business customer, the phone support tends to go above and beyond. They got it reactivated by having me provide the IMEI and the Sim card ID number.
    bibbula and FF22 like this.
    07-13-18 05:18 PM
    Any possibility somebody was hoping to avoid sales chargeback to monthly quota requirements?
    I thought about that as well. See my reply below. I was able top get it reactivated by calling customer support.
    07-13-18 05:19 PM
    But obviously on the short/long term Verizon is shutting down CDMA. User beware.
    07-13-18 05:37 PM
    But obviously on the short/long term Verizon is shutting down CDMA. User beware.
    Which concerns me because I live in an area that doesn't always get 4G LTE. My KeyOne and my iPhone X (my personal device) is frequently on 1x (CDMA). What is Verizon planning for customers who live in rural areas?
    07-13-18 05:42 PM
    Which concerns me because I live in an area that doesn't always get 4G LTE. My KeyOne and my iPhone X (my personal device) is frequently on 1x (CDMA). What is Verizon planning for customers who live in rural areas?
    Supposedly, the CDMA is being repurposed for more LTE.... I’m not sure if that matters unless the extra LTE is better frequencies that CDMA operates with. How does that help older hybrid devices like the KEYone? I don’t know these answers but perhaps a resident expert could answer better....
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-13-18 05:45 PM
    I thought Verizon was just ending CDMA-only activations. Read recently that the 1x network will be shut down next year and 2G/3G a couple of years later.
    07-13-18 06:15 PM
    I thought Verizon was just ending CDMA-only activations. Read recently that the 1x network will be shut down next year and 2G/3G a couple of years later.
    They did as of last week. But, I was able to call support and they were able to re-activate my KeyOne after I provided the IMEI and Sim numbers.
    07-13-18 06:42 PM
    This would make a lot more sense. I really don't see why they can't add a device that supports LTE. Are they going to cut off re-activating all of their CDMA enabled iPhones out there when those also support LTE? I think there is no chance of that whatsoever.
    07-13-18 07:18 PM
    I was able to get the KeyOne activated. I called customer support and because I'm a business customer, the phone support tends to go above and beyond. They got it reactivated by having me provide the IMEI and the Sim card ID number.
    Your first encounter was BS poor customer service. So what are they going to do ultimately do - cut us off without informing us?
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-13-18 08:05 PM
    Your first encounter was BS poor customer service. So what are they going to do ultimately do - cut us off without informing us?
    Do a FF22™ reset and that should put Verizon in their place ! :-)
    FF22, anon(2695703) and zephyr613 like this.
    07-13-18 08:28 PM
    Do a FF22™ reset and that should put Verizon in their place ! :-)
    I will be calling them this week to engage their Global Services for a bit. A painfully expensive experience!
    07-13-18 08:31 PM
    I will be calling them this week to engage their Global Services for a bit. A painfully expensive experience!
    I'm pretty sure they aren't disabling CDMA on the short term but will gradually introduce new services. Hey you'll be able to use a Key*** bought on opening day!
    07-13-18 08:37 PM
    I just swapped my PRIV Sim into a recently purchased KEYone and I have no problems and it's going on week two.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-18 08:58 PM
    I agree about the customer service with the store rep. I’m not sure what their ultimate plan is or how long the devices will work. My hunch is that the KeyOne will still work as long as we can get LTE service on it.
    I did learn that as a business customer, I have 30 days for returns instead of the 14 days for personal accounts.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-14-18 01:48 AM
    I suspect that Verizon is cutting off activations that ONLY make phone calls over CDMA - which means any pre-LTE phone or phones that don't have the proper LTE bands to make VoLTE calls on Verizon.

That will include all BBOS phones, but should not affect BB10 and certainly not BB Android phones. Of course, that doesn't mean that Customer Service gets it right - many aren't going to understand the difference between BBOS and other BB-branded phones.

Verizon is simply trying to reduce the number of phones that will have to be force-upgraded when they shut down CDMA next year. Any phone not capable of VoLTE phone calls would require CDMA to make calls, and soon that won't work. Of course, Verizon has only been selling VoLTE-capable phones for the last 3-4 years, so the vast majority of their customers will be fine. It's the folks holding on to older phones who will have to upgrade to continue making calls.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-14-18 03:05 AM
    I suspect that Verizon is cutting off activations that ONLY make phone calls over CDMA - which means any pre-LTE phone or phones that don't have the proper LTE bands to make VoLTE calls on Verizon.

That will include all BBOS phones, but should not affect BB10 and certainly not BB Android phones. Of course, that doesn't mean that Customer Service gets it right - many aren't going to understand the difference between BBOS and other BB-branded phones.

Verizon is simply trying to reduce the number of phones that will have to be force-upgraded when they shut down CDMA next year. Any phone not capable of VoLTE phone calls would require CDMA to make calls, and soon that won't work. Of course, Verizon has only been selling VoLTE-capable phones for the last 3-4 years, so the vast majority of their customers will be fine. It's the folks holding on to older phones who will have to upgrade to continue making calls.
    That’s why I didn’t understand why they said they couldn’t Re-activate my KeyOne. True, it’s a CDMA device but it still is 3 & 4G capable. It’s an Android device when you get down to it. They also told me that any iPhone before the 6 couldn’t be activated.
    07-14-18 09:58 AM
    That’s why I didn’t understand why they said they couldn’t Re-activate my KeyOne. True, it’s a CDMA device but it still is 3 & 4G capable. It’s an Android device when you get down to it. They also told me that any iPhone before the 6 couldn’t be activated.
    I really think this is just a matter of the CSRs not being clear on what exactly this new policy is and which exact phones it affects. Remember that from the CSR's point of view, there might be hundreds of different phone models that they have to deal with, so it's not a surprise that they don't know very much about phones that aren't the super-common ones.
    07-14-18 01:03 PM
    I really think this is just a matter of the CSRs not being clear on what exactly this new policy is and which exact phones it affects. Remember that from the CSR's point of view, there might be hundreds of different phone models that they have to deal with, so it's not a surprise that they don't know very much about phones that aren't the super-common ones.
    May be but the first one never even tried. The second one tried everything & it worked.
    Sigewif likes this.
    07-14-18 07:59 PM
    The second CSR who got it working did confirm that they were no longer activating CDMA (3 G) devices.
    07-15-18 01:40 PM
    Boy, oh, boy....

Just got off the phone listening to too much awful hold music attempting to engage an International plan for 3 weeks.

First person helped me for 10 minute or more and was checking something when I got bounced back into their queue. Started again but now there was a lock on enabling an international plan.

Guess what the hold up was - my phone, a BLACKBERRY KEYONE!!! It could not be enabled. She reached out higher up the tech chain: "You've used the phone before internationally?" YES, In Jan/Feb this year. "Let me check further.........."

I'm getting to the point where I'd rather switch than fight. Switch CARRIERS due to this Verizon BS!!!!

Okay, rant over (for the moment!)
    07-15-18 04:24 PM
31 12