Yeah, they need to drop CDMA. They are testing 5G in 11 US cities. Let's move on already!

Posted via CB10
    It's not the real next standard... kinda a boost like HSPA was before LTE.

I still see 3G too often to go to a LTE only phone...
    02-25-17 02:05 PM
    Reports are that in the United States there will be no carrier Partners. Phones will be sold carrier unlocked in the United States. It appears the US version will be all inclusive, both GSM and CDMA ready. I know this doesn't quite match up with the website, but it's being reported by all tech news agencies at MWC.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    02-25-17 02:06 PM
    Reports are that in the United States there will be no carrier Partners. Phones will be sold carrier unlocked in the United States. It appears the US version will be all inclusive, both GSM and CDMA ready. I know this doesn't quite match up with the website, but it's being reported by all tech news agencies at MWC.
    So how do we convince Verizon to let us use it? They aren't beg fans of letting users use unlocked phones that haven't been Verizonified!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:13 PM
    So how do we convince Verizon to let us use it? They aren't beg fans of letting users use unlocked phones that haven't been Verizonified!

Posted via CB10
    The reports are "four carrier compatible" , so I assume they've cut a deal, and may explain a slight price premium. This is all speculation, but this is being reported by most everyone.

It does seem strange, I must admit.
    02-25-17 02:18 PM
    PCMag: "In Canada and the US, there will be two models: one that supports CDMA for Sprint and Verizon as well as AT&T and T-Mobile's networks, and one that's AT&T and T-Mobile-only. Cistulli said the unlocked model of the phone will work on all four US carriers."
    02-25-17 02:35 PM
    The reports are "four carrier compatible" , so I assume they've cut a deal, and may explain a slight price premium. This is all speculation, but this is being reported by most everyone.

It does seem strange, I must admit.
    I'd feel better if it said four MAJOR or BIGGEST carriers.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:37 PM
    I'd feel better if it said four MAJOR or BIGGEST carriers.

Posted via CB10
    Aren't all the others just MVNOs using the networks of the big four?
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    02-25-17 02:38 PM
    PCMag: "In Canada and the US, there will be two models: one that supports CDMA for Sprint and Verizon as well as AT&T and T-Mobile's networks, and one that's AT&T and T-Mobile-only. Cistulli said the unlocked model of the phone will work on all four US carriers."
    I may add that they did indicate Canadian carrier partnership as well.

The US as of today, and probably for the life of the device will not directly partner with networks. They made this point clearly and definitely.
    02-25-17 02:41 PM
    Aren't all the others just MVNOs using the networks of the big four?
    Yes.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    02-25-17 02:41 PM

The US as of today, and probably for the life of the device will not directly partner with networks. They made this point clearly and definitely.
    "The phone will launch first on the unlocked market in the US during the second quarter of this year, with Canadian carriers following and US carriers after that, Cistulli said."

Hands On: BlackBerry 'Mercury' Becomes KeyOne | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    02-25-17 02:43 PM

True. I guess that would be one way to do it. How many are CDMA though?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:43 PM
    True. I guess that would be one way to do it. How many are CDMA though?

Posted via CB10
    Verizon and Sprint still use CDMA.
    02-25-17 02:45 PM
    Verizon and Sprint still use CDMA.
    I meant MVNOs.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:50 PM
    Boost and Virgin USA are the largest. There are tens of MVNO providers in the US on CDMA.

Some are hybrid providers and the phone determines whether it's a GSM or CDMA provider.
    02-25-17 02:54 PM
    Boost and Virgin USA are the largest. There are tens of MVNO providers in the US on CDMA.

Some are hybrid providers and the phone determines whether it's a GSM or CDMA provider.
    But they won't offer it. They usually supply cheaper phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 03:35 PM
    But they won't offer it. They usually supply cheaper phones.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea how Blackberry's availability on CDMA is going to work. People said never when it came to all those AT&T proves that were dumped onto the third-party Market. I bought one of them last May. People said you'll be stuck with the AT&T bloatware. People said you'll have to go on the AT&T network to get an update. Blackberry found a way to work out a deal with AT&T and now I receive all my updates direct from Blackberry. I have for many months.

It doesn't really matter that much because I'm on AT&T Go phone. But I don't have a single piece of bloatware on my phone anymore from AT&T. I literally have the factory unlocked STV - 1 practically speaking as a result.

I'm assuming with their Enterprise desires, that they worked out some kind of deal with Verizon that will allow this phone to work on their Network. I'm guessing Verizon's getting some type of kickback for allowing this. Who knows, only time will tell.
    02-25-17 03:48 PM
    Verizon channel not listed in specs. Keynote will not make it there til about 2019 when they go GSM.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 05:26 PM
    Verizon channel not listed in specs. Keynote will not make it there til about 2019 when they go GSM.

Posted via CB10
    Other poster said specs are compatible. Can you post?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 05:35 PM
    This whole thing is the most frustrating crap ever. We cannot even get a clear answer on 2 of the most asked questions about this device 1)Verizon? and 2) RGB Led or white? for the life of me I don't understand why a creditable BB employee or someone else would just clear up all the speculation once and for all. There must be BB employee's monitoring the BB communities reaction to this launch, especially this site...
    02-25-17 06:00 PM
    I think the unlocked version will work on all 4 major carriers but I do want it to be in the Verizon stores.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    02-25-17 06:43 PM
    Other poster said specs are compatible. Can you post?

Posted via CB10
    Bla1zes article on the main page has specs for a cmda variant that would work on Verizon. These specs arnt listed on the official website so the question is where did he get them from
    02-25-17 07:02 PM
    Mainly because cell phones are a global industry and it sucks to have to increase device costs for one carrier (two if you count Sprint, but they're an also-ran) in one country.
    There are other CDMA regional carriers that are pretty big. Us cellular being one
    02-25-17 07:15 PM
    Yes.
    Not necessarily. There are smaller carriers that while they do partner with bigger ones, have their own networks as well. US cellular has its own network and fair coverage in its areas but uses Verizon towers where it doesn't have any
    02-25-17 07:18 PM
    Mainly because cell phones are a global industry and it sucks to have to increase device costs for one carrier (two if you count Sprint, but they're an also-ran) in one country.
    Great point...one 130M subscriber carrier.
    02-26-17 12:16 PM
    This whole thing is the most frustrating crap ever. We cannot even get a clear answer on 2 of the most asked questions about this device 1)Verizon? and 2) RGB Led or white? for the life of me I don't understand why a creditable BB employee or someone else would just clear up all the speculation once and for all. There must be BB employee's monitoring the BB communities reaction to this launch, especially this site...
    I'm with you....I'm logging off now...this place is just a waste of my time.
    02-26-17 12:18 PM
218 1234 ...