I've had 24 years of Blackberry phones and just recently bought a KeyOne to replace my Priv, which although I loved the design, was one of the slowest BBs I've owned. For the first three weeks I felt the KeyOne was the best BB I've ever owned, but then it started glitching, freezing crashing and restarting (uncommanded) 10 or more times per day. Coupled with the 10 32 second restarts I need to do daily, the phone is close to worthless.

BB's best effort at troubleshooting involved a factory reset, to no avail and now they want to send me a new phone...although I suspect it will be "new to me". Given that I'm 99% sure this is software, and probably equally Verizon's and BBs fault, I'm wondering if that is worth the effort if there is no reason to think my issues are hardware related? (question 1)

I'm not the worlds best consumer and have been a happy BB client for years, but I'm frustrated that it looks like they won't be continuing to send OS upgrades to my new phone i.e. Oreo, which may help my problems. Can I load Oreo myself or would it be better to pressure BB and/or Best Buy for a Key2 LE, which it looks like it will run on the Verizon network and ships with Oreo? (question 2). It looks to me that folks on this forum have fixed the Verizon texting issues and are running Key2 LE models on the verizon network.

Finally, safe mode makes the phone 90% more reliable, but it still freezes and/or restarts, now just once or twice/day. This just makes no sense to me and is no help to my one brain cell which is trying to troubleshoot the phone's problems. Any one have any thoughts on this fun fact (question 3).

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.
    12-25-18 02:40 PM
    I've had 24 years of Blackberry phones and just recently bought a KeyOne to replace my Priv, which although I loved the design, was one of the slowest BBs I've owned. For the first three weeks I felt the KeyOne was the best BB I've ever owned, but then it started glitching, freezing crashing and restarting (uncommanded) 10 or more times per day. Coupled with the 10 32 second restarts I need to do daily, the phone is close to worthless.

BB's best effort at troubleshooting involved a factory reset, to no avail and now they want to send me a new phone...although I suspect it will be "new to me". Given that I'm 99% sure this is software, and probably equally Verizon's and BBs fault, I'm wondering if that is worth the effort if there is no reason to think my issues are hardware related? (question 1)

I'm not the worlds best consumer and have been a happy BB client for years, but I'm frustrated that it looks like they won't be continuing to send OS upgrades to my new phone i.e. Oreo, which may help my problems. Can I load Oreo myself or would it be better to pressure BB and/or Best Buy for a Key2 LE, which it looks like it will run on the Verizon network and ships with Oreo? (question 2). It looks to me that folks on this forum have fixed the Verizon texting issues and are running Key2 LE models on the verizon network.

Finally, safe mode makes the phone 90% more reliable, but it still freezes and/or restarts, now just once or twice/day. This just makes no sense to me and is no help to my one brain cell which is trying to troubleshoot the phone's problems. Any one have any thoughts on this fun fact (question 3).

If you can get a refund, I’d go for the Key2 LE instead on VZW as CDMA is being phased out. It appears VZW certified KEYone won’t get the Oreo update nor the Sprint CDMA version as well. That being said, your device sounds broken, if refund isn’t option, get it replaced...
    12-25-18 03:37 PM
    I've owned my VZW K1 almost a year and a half and haven't experienced any of the issues you describe, nor has my wife. If you like the phone design and features I'd return it for an exchange and give it another go, yours definitely sounds like a lemon. There still isn't a firm date for VZW ceasing CDMA yet, so I'd go for it, but if the CDMA EOL is a concern for you, I'd get a refund.

From personal experience, if you really like the K1 when working properly, I'm not sure you'd like the K2 LE as well. There are some deal breaker features missing for me, one of the foremost being the lack of the capacitance keyboard that the K1 has. I've come to use it so much that I consider it almost indispensable.

If I lost or damaged my current K1 tomorrow, I'd not hesitate to replace it with another. I'll stay with the K1 until VZW retires CDMA or another PRIV style BB or K3 is released. That's me.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-26-18 12:23 AM

I'll just say that I tend to agree with Rotor - you have a bad unit. I, too, would not want to give up the keyboard's special function. I've had mine for a year and a half and other than the screen popping off (since addressed), I've had no real issues with it.

Now on top of that - I am not very happy with BB and/or Verizon due to the Oreo reneging. Also, besides that, we seem to have fallen behind in the Security update department.
    rotorwrench and jcrutchvt2010 like this.
    12-29-18 11:01 PM