08-09-19 10:21 PM
32 12
tools
    Changing an entire network in a country the size of the US doesn't happen overnight. Likely, Verizon has a staged rollout that favours larger metropolitan areas with rural areas being changed over to LTE closer to the retirement date.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-18 06:01 AM
    Switched from AT&T to Verizon, and had to replace my KeyOne. At first I picked up a Key2 LE and activated on Verizon ($450), but really missed the capacitive keyboard - and the phone just felt sort of cheap (especially for such a lofty price-tag). Returned the K2 within 2 weeks and bought a VZ compatible KeyOne on eBay (new in the box) for $230, about half the price. Needless to say I've been quite happy with it. Reception in NYC is much better than AT&T, and don't mind having Android 7 vs 8 - barely notice a difference.

IMHO- the Key2 should be VZ compatible as well and priced under $500, and the Key2 LE under $300 to really be competitive with other smartphones on the market.
    04-18-19 02:02 PM
    Not to burst your bubble but when CDMA is finally gone from VZW, it remains to be seen if they will actually be any better than the other carriers at that point. CDMA was the only reason many people were sticking with VZW. With it gone, they'll have to really step up their game to retain their current customer base.
    07-18-19 10:21 AM
    Not to burst your bubble but when CDMA is finally gone from VZW, it remains to be seen if they will actually be any better than the other carriers at that point. CDMA was the only reason many people were sticking with VZW. With it gone, they'll have to really step up their game to retain their current customer base.
    When the Key2 and KEY2 LE first came out as LTE only, I made the same comment and was corrected by some of the actual techies here.

It was explained that CDMA frequencies would be refarmed over to LTE so that coverage should remain same quality as it's the frequencies that provided the better coverage.
    07-18-19 12:45 PM
    That's correct. Verizon has the most lower frequency spectrum of all the carriers, and while they can't carry as much data, they travel further and penetrate buildings better than the higher frequencies, which is why the carriers have always used their lower frequencies for 2G phone calls (GSM and CDMA) - but those are going away and all frequencies will be used for LTE, with phone calls being VoLTE (in other words, a VoIP data call over the LTE data network - no more dedicated switched voice-only service). And those lower frequencies will be used for LTE including phone calls (in fact, they will probably use QoS to push phone calls to the lower frequencies when available).

One of the reasons that T-Mobile's service has improved so much over the last few years is that they bought a chunk of lower frequency spectrum from Verizon about 4 years ago. In areas where that was rolled out, building penetration of signals greatly improved and some rural areas finally got coverage.
    07-18-19 03:22 PM
    Verizon's coverage is better than T-M's and on average about as good at ATTM, but overall I think their mobile network works best. I've got a KeyONE on VZ and like it. BUT it doesn't seem to be getting much love. It's at ABP661, with the Android kernel patch as of Feb. 5. I'm not expecting Pie on it, but is VZ pushing out any more updates? If not, is there another way to keep the 7.1 kernel reasonably up to date?
    08-09-19 11:38 AM
    Verizon's coverage is better than T-M's and on average about as good at ATTM, but overall I think their mobile network works best. I've got a KeyONE on VZ and like it. BUT it doesn't seem to be getting much love. It's at ABP661, with the Android kernel patch as of Feb. 5. I'm not expecting Pie on it, but is VZ pushing out any more updates? If not, is there another way to keep the 7.1 kernel reasonably up to date?
    I believe the answer, unfortunately, is no.
    08-09-19 10:21 PM
32 12