So it finally happened - my screen popped off and I didn't get it fixed before the ribbon got a tear in it - meaning my screen is just black.

I have ordered a screen replacement which shall take 3 weeks to get here.

I just realized my WhatsApp did not seem to backup to google drive for the past year and unfortunately debugging mode is not activated so I have resigned myself to not being able to access my phone to get the WhatsApp messages store to restore onto a temporary phone.

My question is once I fix the new screen (process seems fairly simple) - will the old messages I had on the old phone still be there and accessible if I set up WhatsApp on a new temporary device ?

I have also just ordered myself a new Key2 as I do not believe my keyone (which I got when it first came out) shall survive the potential new models coming out next year sometime.

Any help on the WhatsApp side would be much appreciated as I understand the messages I receive on the new phone shall be lost forever as I cannot merge them once I get my Keyone up and running again.
    10-07-20 07:09 AM
    I'm not sure where you're located but in the US on eBay there are KEYone replacement LCD's that are sold locally so they shouldn't take weeks to arrive.

When you get the part though, you could just plug the ribbon cable in, then power it up to make sure it works before even gluing/taping it in place and putting the back cover of the phone on.

Once the phone powers up with a functional LCD, go into WhatsApp and start the backup process immediately and back up everything else on the device while you're there.

Once that's done, then glue/tape the screen in place and put the back cover back into place.
    10-07-20 09:18 AM
    Thanks - unfortunately I am thousands of miles away from the states and therefore will take sometime to get it to me - I have already ordered off amazon.

The question on the Whatsapp still remains though...
    10-08-20 04:05 AM
    Thanks - unfortunately I am thousands of miles away from the states and therefore will take sometime to get it to me - I have already ordered off amazon.

The question on the Whatsapp still remains though...
    If you have Google Drive backup enabled, and you're signed into the new device with the same Google account as is on the KeyOne, then upon signing into WhatsApp on the temporary device it will ask to restore a previous backup. Voila and all your messages should be back.
    10-08-20 06:43 AM
    If you have Google Drive backup enabled, and you're signed into the new device with the same Google account as is on the KeyOne, then upon signing into WhatsApp on the temporary device it will ask to restore a previous backup. Voila and all your messages should be back.
    But he said that his WhatsApp wasn't automatically backing up to his Google Drive account.

It wouldn't do automatically if the "Never" or "Only when I tap Backup" options are selected.

Or, if he's never on Wi-Fi and the option to only backup on Wi-Fi is selected.Using WhatsApp on Temporary Phone while fixing screen - what happens to old messages?-screenshot_20201008-074744.jpeg
    pjh248 and Ben xfg like this.
    10-08-20 06:48 AM
    Yes unfortunately the predicament I find myself in is due to a lack of Google Drive back up.

Hence wondering if I can set up whatsapp using the temp phone and once i replace the screen and re-start whatsapp on the new phone have the messages available to me?
    10-08-20 07:07 AM
    Yes unfortunately the predicament I find myself in is due to a lack of Google Drive back up.

Hence wondering if I can set up whatsapp using the temp phone and once i replace the screen and re-start whatsapp on the new phone have the messages available to me?
    All your old messages would still be there, but all the ones you sent/received on the temporary device wouldn't.
    10-08-20 11:52 AM
    All your old messages would still be there, but all the ones you sent/received on the temporary device wouldn't.
    I'm not 100% sure if the old messages would still be on the KEYone, the downloaded media should be though.

I guess we'll find out once he gets that new LCD installed.
    10-08-20 11:59 AM
    I'm not 100% sure if the old messages would still be on the KEYone, the downloaded media should be though.

I guess we'll find out once he gets that new LCD installed.
    Ah, right, he'd have to have had at least the local backups going for that to work.
    10-08-20 02:09 PM