I notice a lot of folks using their smart phones to pay for products and services using the bar code scanner on their smart phones.

There is Apple Pay, Blackberry Wallet, Goggle Pay, etc. Apps that supposely allow this type of transaction.

My question is what is the best wallet Keyone app that will allow for debit/credit card scanner payments.

How useful are these apps, and are they widely accepted by many vendors, merchants?
    Yesterday, I noticed a person at Starbucks paying for his drinks using his smart phone bar code.
    I was told that was a Starbuck's app just for their customers.

What about a more general app that is not vendor specific.

What about security?

What are some of the forums users experiences?

I am not sure if this is something I can use?

Comments?

Ideas?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-13-18 11:00 AM
    I use my bank's (RBC) app to pay with my credit card. It's accepted anywhere that you can tap to pay.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-13-18 11:12 AM
    I use Google Pay (in stores), Prism (for paying bills), and Venmo (for sending money to friends/family).

The barcode thing at Starbucks means they're paying with their Starbucks pre-paid card through the app. I order online, so I don't use that feature. :P

As for security, it's as secure as your phone is (for example, lock screen passcode or pin). When paying for products, Google Pay uses a unique card number for each transaction so your actual card is never provided. In many ways, it's a lot more secure than using your physical card.

When you set up Google Pay for the first time, it'll walk you through how to use it and where you can (which is pretty much anywhere nowadays).
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-13-18 11:13 AM
    I try to use Google Pay whenever I can. it is quick and easy when it works. I find often (2/3 of the time) it does not work. Staples and Whole Foods take it.
    04-13-18 12:41 PM
    (which is pretty much anywhere nowadays).

Yeah, as long as you are in a major metropolitan area. Only a couple of places allow it around where I live.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-13-18 01:59 PM
    It's all about that litecoin
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-13-18 02:20 PM
    In the "old" days when I did not have access to the Starbucks app, I actually took a picture of the barcode and would present that to their scanner and it worked.

But I'm confused (possibly because I've not used these methods), the OP says the "phone's barcode scanner" but I suspect that the phone is PRESENTING info to the shops side of things and not scanning? Or what?

I do have Samsung Pay on my Gear S3 Smartwatch. But generally I can just pass it over the magnetic strip reader slot. Sometimes I need to tap/pay (nfc???)

Don't need a whole tutorial but now I'm curious how these work?
    04-13-18 03:57 PM
    (which is pretty much anywhere nowadays).

Yeah, as long as you are in a major metropolitan area. Only a couple of places allow it around where I live.
    Well, when they get electricity I'm sure things will change! (g)
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-13-18 03:58 PM
    In the "old" days when I did not have access to the Starbucks app, I actually took a picture of the barcode and would present that to their scanner and it worked.

But I'm confused (possibly because I've not used these methods), the OP says the "phone's barcode scanner" but I suspect that the phone is PRESENTING info to the shops side of things and not scanning? Or what?

I do have Samsung Pay on my Gear S3 Smartwatch. But generally I can just pass it over the magnetic strip reader slot. Sometimes I need to tap/pay (nfc???)

Don't need a whole tutorial but now I'm curious how these work?
    Part of the problem is that Samsung Pay and Android Pay use different protocols. Android Pay uses the tap and pay function and Samsung Pay uses the swipe function. They are not interchangeable and I haven't seen anywhere that both are implemented.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-13-18 04:07 PM
    Well, when they get electricity I'm sure things will change! (g)
    True. It's a pain in the rear to use that crank to charge my phone.
    FF22 and skinnymike1 like this.
    04-13-18 04:08 PM
    Part of the problem is that Samsung Pay and Android Pay use different protocols. Android Pay uses the tap and pay function and Samsung Pay uses the swipe function. They are not interchangeable and I haven't seen anywhere that both are implemented.
    About 99% of terminals in Canada use tap, so it's not an issue here.

I find it funny when I travel the States to see how far behind they always are at point of sale.
    FF22 and psychofox13 like this.
    04-13-18 04:09 PM
    Funny, but very frustrating.
    04-13-18 04:16 PM

I find it funny when I travel the States to see how far behind they always are at point of sale.
    Not that size always matters but it may be the extent of how many stores/shops/etc have to be equipped down there versus up there. If the merchant has to pay or train, I can them them balking. But I really prefer your method where the card reader comes to the restaurant table and my card is in sight versus down here where the card disappears for xx seconds or yy minutes and it out of sight TOO LONG! But there was an article within the week saying SIGNATURES are being phased out finally.
    04-13-18 04:57 PM

The merchants and the institutions in have been disincentivized. In the beginning, 10-12 years ago, institutions didn't want to pay for TAP cards (RFID) in the states because NFC on phones was supposed to be close to implementation and the Merchants don't want to pay for RFID scanners now because the CHIP type cards have been legislated..
    04-13-18 05:21 PM