I have the UK BE K1 (PRD-63117-035) . Stuck on AAY819. I was made aware by some of you guys that Vodafone are the issuers of updates to UK K1 devices (I'm guessing 63117-003 silver and 63117-035 black?) . So I decided to contact Vodafone in regards to being stuck on AAY819. They took some details such as my device model (I told them BBB100-2) and the variant (I told them PRD-63117-035). They also asked which OS update it is that I am enquiring about - she didn't appear to be English (though she spoke it quite fluently) therefore she couldn't really understand my north-eastern accent, so instead of confusing her by saying "the Oreo prep build" I simply said the latest version available to the silver edition of the device. After giving her this information she said that Vodafone are going to contact BlackBerry directly, get a response from them, then ring me back within 24-48 hours. Let's see how this goes!
    Torrezno and the_boon like this.
    08-19-18 02:28 AM
    Good luck with your response from Vodafone. I tried this route Last year when trying to update my dtek50 and they hadn't a clue what I was on about. Then tried to tell me they Don't support BB anymore, one technical support guy even told me that I would have to pay an extra £5.00 a month to have blackberry services running on my device ( dtek50) to get the updates. After a few months the updates then showed up three days in a row for all the months that it was missing. I'm due to change my phone at the end of September so thinking of changing to o2.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    08-19-18 05:58 AM
    from what I understand from others it'll make no difference if you're on o2 voadaphone still issue the updates.
    08-19-18 06:03 AM
    Vodafone UK only authorizes the OS for its own devices before it gets released.

The issue is that there is only a single product skew (PRD) for all UK devices, so TCL can't send the update to some and not others.

This effectively means that Vodafone UK dictates the update schedule to all of the devices.
    ab190670 likes this.
    08-19-18 06:53 AM
    That being said, has anyone with a UK K1 gotten anything OTA since May patch?
    08-19-18 11:03 AM
    Nada. I'm going to use the ABD174 autoloader now as I am sick of the wait + UK hate. I'll report back in an hour or so.
    08-19-18 12:07 PM
    Yes, ABA693.
    08-19-18 01:10 PM

The issue is that there is only a single product skew (PRD) for all UK devices, so TCL can't send the update to some and not others.

This effectively means that Vodafone UK dictates the update schedule to all of the devices.
    The thing that bugs me though, is that I don't believe that it is technically impossible to issue some UK devices with the update, and not to others. A simple sim check should be doable..?
    08-19-18 01:15 PM
    I'm on aba693 5th June patch - key1 on O2
    08-19-18 03:03 PM
    The thing that bugs me though, is that I don't believe that it is technically impossible to issue some UK devices with the update, and not to others. A simple sim check should be doable..?
    I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but it's certainly never been done going back to the Priv.
    08-19-18 03:15 PM
    I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but it's certainly never been done going back to the Priv.
    So disappointing of BlackBerry.
    08-19-18 04:13 PM
    So disappointing of BlackBerry.
    I guess TCL feels it enough dealing with over 60 KEYᵒⁿᵉ variants, rather than adding a bunch of sub-variants based on groups of IMEI numbers.

If it's any consolation, the Vodafone KEY² appears to have a separate skew from the rest of the UK.
    Last edited by conite; 08-20-18 at 07:44 AM.
    08-19-18 04:18 PM
    I've finally loaded ABD174 after 10 or more download attempts (mega.nz really sucks) and it is working flawlessly!
    08-19-18 04:30 PM
    ABD796 via autoloader on Tesco (O2). No issues.
    08-19-18 04:32 PM
    times like this I wish my laptop was working lol heyho lol
    08-19-18 07:16 PM
    Hi. on ABA693 in UK.
    08-19-18 09:29 PM
    I guess TCL feels it enough dealing with over 60 KEYᵒⁿᵉ variants, rather than adding a adding a bunch of sub-variants based on groups of IMEI numbers.

If it's any consolation, the Vodafone KEY² appears to have a separate skew from the rest of the UK.
    That's interesting. So they did learn their lesson. Hopefully they figure this all out for the KEY3, because my KEY1 is still going strong
    08-20-18 12:35 AM

So effectively, all those of us who purchase a 'factory unlocked' with the promise of 'all updates directly from BB not a carrier' have been 'mugged'. Whatever happenned to the 'unfair monopoly' where one company has NO RIGHT to dictate to other companies on something that has no bearing on their product??
    It seems that there is a collusion between BB and Vodafone to DENY an update service to users who DO NOT use their network??
    Simple answer is : don't buy BB...buy from a manufacturer who treats their customers with RESPECT...far more than BB ever seems to do. What other manufacturer lets one carrier 'dictate' to everybody when they get their updates (if at all) obviously Vodafone have the monopoly on this, and are therefore acting in their best interests, to the detriment of EVERY other user!! (of which there are probably far more 'other carrier' users than Vodafone)...
    Surely in the UK, the monopolies commission should be aware, and doing something about those of us being held to 'ransom' by a carrier most of us are not even with!!
    08-20-18 04:35 AM
    So effectively, all those of us who purchase a 'factory unlocked' with the promise of 'all updates directly from BB not a carrier' have been 'mugged'. Whatever happenned to the 'unfair monopoly' where one company has NO RIGHT to dictate to other companies on something that has no bearing on their product??
    It seems that there is a collusion between BB and Vodafone to DENY an update service to users who DO NOT use their network??
    Simple answer is : don't buy BB...buy from a manufacturer who treats their customers with RESPECT...far more than BB ever seems to do. What other manufacturer lets one carrier 'dictate' to everybody when they get their updates (if at all) obviously Vodafone have the monopoly on this, and are therefore acting in their best interests, to the detriment of EVERY other user!! (of which there are probably far more 'other carrier' users than Vodafone)...
    Surely in the UK, the monopolies commission should be aware, and doing something about those of us being held to 'ransom' by a carrier most of us are not even with!!
    Thanks for taking the time to write that, because you have hit the nail on the head! Who else agrees?
    08-20-18 06:57 AM
    ABA693. UK unlocked but resident outside.
    08-20-18 09:11 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to write that, because you have hit the nail on the head! Who else agrees?
    The KEY² now has a separate variant for Vodafone UK. Problem solved going forward.
    08-20-18 09:22 AM
    The KEY² now has a separate variant for Vodafone UK. Problem solved going forward.
    So basically, BB have shut the stable door, long after the horse has bolted, AGAIN...
    Also, the problem is not SOLVED, because there are many who have not got a Key2, having shelled out for a key1, But hey, let's not look at REALITY, just the 'going forward' business. Tough luck to all those 'loyal customers' you've just 'left behind' EH?
    melhiore likes this.
    08-20-18 10:23 AM
    So basically, BB have shut the stable door, long after the horse has bolted, AGAIN...
    Also, the problem is not SOLVED, because there are many who have not got a Key2, having shelled out for a key1, But hey, let's not look at REALITY, just the 'going forward' business. Tough luck to all those 'loyal customers' you've just 'left behind' EH?
    It's a hardware limitation on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, so I'm not sure how they can resolve it - especially now that it's almost out of production. Having had the same PRD for all of the UK brought about unintended consequences. It is what it is.

Thankfully no-wipe autoloaders only take a few minutes.
    08-20-18 10:28 AM
    It's a hardware limitation on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, so I'm not sure how they can resolve it - especially now that it's almost out of production. Having had the same PRD for all of the UK brought about unintended consequences. It is what it is.

I've been trying to find the ABD174 autoloader that you mentioned in my other thread but just can't find it.
    Also I'm using a mac, so I'm not sure if it's even gonna work?
    08-20-18 12:01 PM

Which is great (though you shouldn't have to resort to autoloaders) if they exist for your phone...Where are they for Dtek50/60??

Regarding the 'now it's almost out of production' another 'throw away' attitude from BB...very much a 'we have had your money, now 'stuff you' and buy our next expensive offering, which we *might* get right, but if not, well, you folks will just keep on buying them irrespective, so why should we care' attitude that BB seem to have regarding their 'customers'........
    melhiore likes this.
    08-20-18 12:08 PM
36 12